ConvertKit Reviews

4.7

4.7

About ConvertKit

ConvertKit is a tool that makes email marketing easier for creators. You can use it to create customizable forms, landing pages, and email templates to connect with your audience. Set up automated email sequences using tags and...

Browse ConvertKit Reviews

Ben
Ben
  • Industry: Information Services

Reviewed on 25/9/2020

A real step up from our last email marketing solution

I was previously using Aweber and needed to switch after an as-yet-unexplained technical glitch did realy damage to a product launch. The move to ConvertKit was smooth and I wish I'd done it years ago - the cost is slightly lower too for my 10,000 subscribers.

Pros

ConvertKit is very intuitive to use and hides a lot of functionality behind a straightforward user interface. Tutorial videos for each area of the software help considerably with the learning curve.

The feature-set it really well-thought-out and allows you to be really creative with your email marketing. I particularly like the easy way to send a broadcast email a second time to those who didn't open it the first - it really adds to the value of each email.

Cons

I've found little to criticise before beyond the fact the on-boarding was quite hands-off. Support is very good quality but the responses could, I suppose, be a little quicker.

• Industry: Professional Training & Coaching
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 5/10/2020

Great email marketing platform if you are NOT a beginner.

I'm not an email marketing beginner, but I tried ConvertKit and I didn't stay with them. I found their platform to be overwhelming, clunky, and I did not like the way the emails to my subscribers looked. The emails are quite plain.

As an online business coach for women with service-based businesses, I dont' want to be tinkering around for a long time trying to figure out how to use an email marketing platform i'm paying for and I also want my emails to stand out. ConvertKit doesn't do either of those things for me.

Pros

This is by far the best platform for organizing how you want your email series to be sent out as well as for tagging subscribers according to how they respond to your emails (like if they click on a button in your email to learn more, sign up for something, buy something, etc.).

If you know what you're doing, this is an intuitive platform that allows you to keep track of what your subscribers are doing and then target them with the appropriate marketing.

Cons

I feel like ConvertKit isn't beginner friendly because when you first sign onto there the interface is too overwhelming. The positive is that they give you a lot of options as to what you can do in email marketing and then the negative is that they give you too much options so then, like I said, it just looks overwhelming as a platform to work with.

They do have tutorials though as well as a trial so you can get to know the platform before you jump into the monthly fee that starts at $29.

Leigh
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 18/7/2020

I don't know why people recommend this software - their generous affiliates program perhaps?

I have more problems with convertkit than anything else on my website, the source of all my issues have been convertkit!
It's cheap compared to what's out there, but there is a reason for this.
I'm now going to infusionsoft, which im sure, my commitment of their monthly priceplan will speak volumes for how poor conertkit has been.

Pros

It's easy to write emails and develop an email funnel.

Cons

the implimentation is dire, it's like a beta release all the time.
the forms aren't as responsive as they so claim, things look good on their page and then on preview, but when published, you really have to tinker with them to make them work.
Their worpdress plugin was prompting 'malware' warnings on my site with Avast, the first time I had to contact their help desk, and they were more concerned about removing me from their daily tasks lists than dealing with the problem.

this eventually cleared up, I assume it may have been in Avast's hands, but this problem lasted two weeks in convertkits hands.

I then had a list of 5 questions, I recieved a response for one of them by [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] who I then didn;t reply in a timely manner for (although he contacted me 3 days after my problems were raised!)
He then got pushy in the emails for me to deal with the problem immediate - which I couldn't do!! I was available to add things to my website 3 days before his response and had other work commitments to deal with, having just now got back to the website, 5 days after my initial problems, he decided to close the ticket to and I quote 'remove them off his daily tasks lists'
I've now raised these exact same questions again to convertkit to seek help, hopefully I won't get an automated response and have to wait another 3 days for a reply to when im busy and told they'll close the ticket again to make themselves look good.

Their customer service is diabolical and their software is sub par.

Top ConvertKit Alternatives

Olga

Reviewed on 5/8/2022

The email marketing software that will make your content shine

We have been using ConvertKit for 3.5 years now and we don’t plan on going anywhere else! If you’re looking for an email marketing platform that grows with your business and subscriber list, and that’s straightforward to use as well as efficient, then you don’t need to look any further than ConvertKit. My team and I find that it allows us to meet our goals quickly, deliver quality content, and all without overcomplicating things. Sometimes simple is best!

Pros

It’s hard to find things not to like about ConvertKit. I think one of the best things is that there is no major learning curve. You don’t have to be an expert in email marketing to understand how to use the software. Everything is pretty intuitive. And when you do have a problem figuring something out, they have amazing tutorials available as well as a very responsive and helpful customer service team. Each time I ran into an issue, it would be solved by their team in a blink of an eye. I also love that it integrates with the software we use at our company and with our clients, such as Acuity Scheduling and LeadPages. Finally, ConvertKit has all the features we need for our email marketing efforts to be a success: great segmentation, automations, and confirmation email option.

Cons

I think their reporting and their A/B testing could be more advanced. However, given they’re constantly improving things, I believe that these features will soon be improved. I will say that for the needs of small businesses and teams, what ConvertKit offers is absolutely sufficient.

Reasons for Switching to ConvertKit

Honestly, after having tested out other software, we found that ConvertKit delivers on their promises, and that we can worry less about emails being delivered and focus on the content and conversion aspect.
Michelle

Reviewed on 11/2/2021

Best email marketing platform I've found for marketing my online courses

Great experience overall. My sales are better because I can be super specific with who I'm emailing, based on their interests (links they've clicked, courses they're already enrolled in, etc.). I love that I can market specifically instead of blasting every sales email to every subscriber blindly. And I know my subscribers appreciate this, too.

Pros

I love that ConvertKit has so many capabilities. There are a million different ways you can tag or segment your audience, and it integrates with the other platform I use for selling my online courses, Thinkific. I really love that together with Thinkific, it knows which email subscribers have purchased what, and their interest (all based on tags I set up). I also love the step-by-step instructions that ConvertKit provides for setting up these processes.

Cons

There's a tiny learning curve when you first get into it. There are a LOT of features and capabilities, but once you get the hang of the basics you'll realize how much you can do with ConvertKit. Plus, there are great step-by-step tutorials offered by ConvertKit. And their Help Desk is actually helpful!

GetResponse and Keap

Reasons for Choosing ConvertKit

ConvertKit has many more features / more capabilities than Mad Mimi. Mad Mimi is a great platform for what it does - but it's pretty basic. I wanted something where I could get specific and nitty-gritty with my sales funnels.

Mad Mimi

Reasons for Switching to ConvertKit

ConvertKit is not cheap, but it's well worth the investment, and for everything it is able to do, it's a way better price than the other email marketing platforms I looked at.

Reviewed on 12/8/2022

Convertkit is the bloodline for my business

I've been using Convertkit for over 2 years and it's constantly improving and adding benefits for running a business.

Pros

It's designed for people like me, creators. It's very well thought through and I don't need to have many integrations to use it.

Cons

I don't like that it doesn't have a mobile app.

Eddy
Eddy
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 4/2/2020

Better Aweber Alternative

Overall, I have been very happy with Convertkit. I find that they have great deliverability and they are a lot more reasonable in terms of spam complaints.

Pros

The pricing of this email marketing service is a big reason I switched over. I used aweber before and they would charge you additional if you have the same person on two lists. Whereas ConvertKit would only count that same person on two list as one. This saved me tons of money that I was being over charged with aweber.

Cons

I wish some of the automation was a little more robust and easier to use.

Reviewed on 10/1/2020

Easily my preferred email management software (if it was cheaper)

Pros

I LOVE the visual automations. It makes it far easier to set up and explain how they work to clients.
The sequences are so easy to update and I love how all the emails are viewable on the same page.

Cons

Having to code email templates.
I recently switched to a cheaper provider because, as I'm not earning much from my blog right now, I couldn't justify paying $39US per month.

Reviewed on 1/9/2023

A great choice for email marketing

I switched to ConvertKit because we needed a more powerful email marketing tool. ConvertKit is the industry standard, and I feel like our email marketing system is much more professional after switching.

Pros

I like that the audience can click a link within an email and be automatically segmented. It is also easy to create new broadcasts (emails), and ConvertKit recently added the ability to have saved brand colors, so changing the font and button colors is simple.

Cons

ConvertKit isn't as "pretty" (or image-based) as some platforms; however, I'll take deliverability over pretty emails any day. It's also a little overwhelming to learn what everything means in ConvertKit, but once you become familiar with the wording and where things are, it's easy to accomplish what needs to be done.

• Industry: Arts & Crafts

Reviewed on 12/4/2021

Great CRM for Creatives

Once I learned the software, ConvertKit became a pleasure to use. The feedback we got from our subscribers was fantastic. A noticeable difference.

Pros

-Easy to switch from an older CRM
-Geared toward creatives, with a focus on the design of email messages.

Cons

-Learning curve slightly steep
-Not particularly clear how to set up workflow without a lot of tutorials.

Simon

Reviewed on 8/5/2021

Solid and improving email marketing software

Overall ConvertKit is a good solid option, but only really if you're using the paid version. The free version lacks a lot of the good features. It is priced competitively and once you learn how to use it, it's pretty user friendly. Reliability wise, I've never had a problem as far as I can recall. Customer service is pretty quick and I've even reached out to the [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] via Twitter and he was responsive.

Pros

When I started using ConvertKit it was a relative new entrant to the market and a competitor to the likes of MailChimp and AWeber. It was started by someone who had used other email marketing solutions and and had tried to overcome issues with these solutions. This meant for someone who was reasonably software literate it was straightforward to use and had some great features, and these have been added to as time has gone on.

Cons

There has been an update on the landing page section which meant I could no longer use one of sign-up forms, which was used multiple times over my website. Although necessary for them, it caused me as a user quite a headache to resolve. Also, if you go over a threshold of subscribers, the price goes up automatically...if you go back below the threshold you have to tell them to move you back down. The free option is not particularly great for brand new websites and on websites I have built for others, they've tended towards something like MailerLite initially.

ActiveCampaign, GetResponse, Keap and Mailchimp

Reasons for Choosing ConvertKit

Heard good things about ConvertKit from different sources and AWeber didn't seem as good value any more.

AWeber

Reasons for Switching to ConvertKit

Pricing and functionality on ConvertKit seemed more in line with what I needed and had recommendation for ConvertKit.
Louise
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Reviewed on 27/6/2022

Love the automation Convertkit provides

I needed an email software that reaches leads without going into their junk email, that was reliable, flexible and allowed many different pathways for leads. This makes it so much easier to send personalized messages.

Pros

I love the detailed automation you can set up and it is fairly easy once you know how. I really like the function that you can tag leads and send them into different funnels and send them personalized emails. This helps with conversion rate.

Cons

It does take a little bit to learn. Such as when you set up rules and such in the automation it can get a little overwhelming but once you get the hang of it, it is easy and quick to set up.

Alexa
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 18/12/2019

My go-to for email list management and content marketing

I refer all of my clients to ConvertKit if I can get to them before they are locked into mailchimp. It's a bit spendier for small lists, but the functionality is SO worth it. The tags, sequences etc allow even rookie marketers to set up smart funnels & sequences. I love this product.

Pros

So user-friendly and agile. It's powerful without being hard to use. I try to get all my clients on ConvertKit if they can afford to. The automations, tags, and sequences allow you to be so agile with your email marketing and retarget and build smart marketing funnels with very little effort. It is made for content marketers. I adore this platform.

Cons

A little bit expensive for smaller lists, hard to compete with free services for small companies. Learning to build sequences and automations takes a little bit of time.

Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to ConvertKit

So much better than Mailchimp, it comes with everything you need right out of the "box' without needing to pay more for integrations or automations. It's a marketer's dream.
Sharon
  • Industry: Media Production

Reviewed on 7/10/2022

Will Convertkit Work For Me

It's been great because I moved with a plan in place to create a system that I wanted and was organized.

Pros

It is reasonably easy to set up, you do need some guidance as to the wording used but it works most of the time and that's what's important.

Cons

The optin boxes and landing pages need some work.

• Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 29/10/2020

Use it pretty much everyday

Pros

I've tried pretty much every email marketing platform under the sun and for me Convertkit is leagues above the rest, mostly in useability. I'm after software that's simple (most providers make you go through 100 unnecessary steps to send a simple broadcast or set up an automation) but also powerful. Simply because of ease of use and everything just works, it's the best option. Other platforms promise a frustrating future.

Cons

It is fairly expensive, though they've gotten a free tier now which is great. I wish they had better reporting that wasn't exclusive to the pro option. And their customer support... it used to be good but over the past year or so it's really fallen in the hole. They take ages (as in days per response that may or may not have solved the problem) to get back to you, and instead of getting back to you they have a whole 'triage team' who come back after a few days to say they've recieved it and someone will take care of it. It's really stupid. That could be taken care of by a bot, and they should have hired more support instead of more middle management. It's just weird. Hopefully it's just a phase and they return to what it was.

ActiveCampaign, MailerLite, Brevo, GetResponse, Mailchimp and AWeber

Reviewed on 19/4/2019

Great Option for the Solopreneur

I use this service for a relatively small email list I just started, and it works really well for the price. I use the optin forms and email sequences to gain more email subscribers on a regular basis. I also love that I can create really simple and easy to design automation flows between opt-ins and my general email newsletter. This is something I use on a daily basis.

Pros

I recently switched over to ConvertKit from another service after reading positive reviews. I like their format for sending emails to subscribers so much more than any other platform I've used. The emails are really modern looking and simple, so they're appealing to my audience when I send them. I also like that I can simply reuse my last email and make changes to just the content. It makes sending a weekly email really simple.

Another huge benefit to me is that I can segment my subscribers into different groups that allows me to send targeted emails in a more efficient fashion. I also track users who have purchased a product so I don't send them emails about the product they've bought.

This software is an all in one, which I really like. Meaning, I am able to create an optin form, email sequence and product download all in one with this software. I love that it keeps everything really organized in this fashion.

Cons

Some of the ways to organize subscribers are a little confusing to a newbie. You can sort them into segments as well as mark users with tags. I wish it were more clear what each one did at first glance.

I also wish there were more options to design the optin forms. They are pretty basic and there isn't a lot of room for creativity, but they are still functional.

Reviewed on 29/8/2021

Helping creators grow their email audience? Convertkit is a solid platform.

Overall this is an easy to use, modern email marketing tool that covers all the basics. Great for beginners who want to get going fast. Also suitable for more advanced marketers. I enjoy using this. The interface is modern and easy to use. Unnecessary settings or steps are removed, making this a tool that doesn't require much time to get something created. Good documentation as well, so the beginner can get started knowing the support and education is just a few clicks away.

Pros

I like how Convertkit makes it easy and fast to get your lead generating page up and running and start collecting leads. The landing page builder is good with plenty of templates. You don't need technical skills to get a page up and start building your list. That's what Convertkit focuses on. It's a modern tool that offers all the basics and a few advanced features. No unnecessary bells and whistles needed if you want to focus on creating.

Cons

Pricing starts higher compared to other tools, but the advantage of Convertkit is that one email address only counts once, unlike other tools where a subscriber counts multiple times towards your total subscriber amount if that person is added to multiple email lists or campaigns.

Shivansh
Shivansh

Reviewed on 16/9/2022

A fast and trustworthy email marketing tool...

Pros

I first saw Pat Flynn using ConvertKit and the process really seemed very smooth to me. I started using ConvertKit and never regretted it. You feel like you're using an extraordinary tool that seems to be running on its own. Very easy to configure and send email campaigns, amazing support team, a very straightforward interface, great speed, and decent pricing.

Cons

The pricing is not the most affordable if we jump into the marketing and email marketing tool world but is actually considerable. Other than this, my only concern is with putting together the signup forms and landing pages. It's not as great as tools like ClickFunnels, Leadpages, etc., but is still better than AWeber and GetResponse (is what I feel).

• Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 17/1/2019

ConvertKit = Powerful Features I Need + Simplicity I Love.

Pros

Many bloggers are overwhelmed by the technical aspects of setting up a successful email newsletter strategy.

Yup, there are a variety of email platforms out there and I have managed large lists on many of them. For my Email on Autopilot system, I strongly recommend ConvertKit.

I can tell you from a lot of firsthand experience that “putting your email on autopilot” is WAY easier with ConvertKit than anything else I’ve tried.

ConvertKit was specifically built with bloggers and small businesses in mind, unlike other platforms that either don’t have the right tools or complicate things waaaayyy too much.

I recommend ConvertKit because it has the perfect combination of the powerful features that I need and the simplicity-of-use that I love.

Cons

I wish I had a little more flexibility in creating RSS-driven emails.

Kate
Kate

Reviewed on 19/11/2019

Best Email Marketing Automation for Small Business

I've saved a lot of time just in making any edits to my nurturing sequences because it's easier to find them.

Pros

You can view your automations visually, so this functionality makes it much easier than competitors such as MailChimp because you can easily set up, view, and come back to your automations.

Cons

The 'done for you' merge from your old email marketing system to your new one isn't as easy as they make it seem. I've been working with email automation tools for years, and I was tripped up because the import take different lists and combines them into one. It's much easier to export your lists and tags, and upload each separately.

Ismaël Huberson
Ismaël Huberson
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Reviewed on 22/12/2022

Convertkit

Pros

Convertkit is a powerful email manager and landing page creator. It helps me a lot to automate my tasks.

Cons

I love working with Convertkit, it is a real asset for my business.

Andrea

Reviewed on 1/7/2023

Automate Your Email Marketing & Stand Out

Pros

This is my favorite email tool of all time, and I've tried many. I'm not a fan of any email blasts that feel impersonal or boring. The customizable templates, audience tags, and sequences by action all work together beautifully with ConvertKit. Highly recommend switching over if you're using MailChimp.

Cons

I'd like it to be easier to embed videos and more options for image sizing without coding.

Allison
Allison
  • Industry: Writing & Editing
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 2/1/2019

Decent Email Subscription Manager, But Not Right for Everyone

ConvertKit is easy to use, and I appreciate the fast customer service response. Ultimately, however, most people would be better off using a cheaper, more minimalistic tool or a more expensive all-in-one CRM/email tool. ConvertKit is great for a very select audience, who find themselves in the middle.

Pros

ConvertKit has a lot of functionality for the price tag in terms of automation. It is kind of a step between free, minimalist tools like MailChimp and really robust tools like Ontraport.

Cons

I struggle with the pricing. Simply put, most people who want to automate their email campaigns will likely get more value from a tool like Ontraport or Infusionsoft, which also integrate with payment systems and have more CRM functionality. Other smaller businesses and bloggers are typically better served by less expensive tools such as Mailchimp, which don't have all the bells and whistles of ConvertKit, but which get the job done. So, although I do think it is a good value for the price... I'm not sure who actually NEEDS this mid-point tool.

Zephyr
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 16/4/2021

Excellent email service

I use Convertkit to manage subscribers. It’s really easy to track your subscribers and send emails and create funnels. I think Convertkit is one of the best email services out there

Pros

One of my favorite things about Convertkit is their customer service. They are always so helpful and respond super fast. They also put on a lot of webinars which is really cool. Convertkit is easy to use and has a lot of cool features that makes sending and managing emails simple. They also have a lot of customization features.

Cons

Convertkit is pretty expensive. Yes you get a lot of great features but it’s still pricey. I purchased a year long plan during a Black Friday sale and even then it’s quite pricey.

Aimee
  • Industry: Alternative Medicine

Reviewed on 31/8/2022

This software helps me write more emails.

Overall my experience with convert Kit has been excellent. I also had an issue with my bill and their customer service is just fast and superb I can’t say enough about the experience I had with customer service is really cemented my decision and confirmed that I made a good choice by changing to the software.

Pros

It was really easy to use, it was really easy to set up, it was really easy to transition all my emails from my old email management system. Also every experience I’ve had with customer service so far has been excellent. They respond fast and I just feel like they really worked a lot to help me when I had problems.

Cons

Right now I haven’t found anything that’s been difficult to use or any features that I wish were included. This is a pretty cut and dry service I write email campaigns every week and they deliver them so it does exactly what I needed to do.