About Hubstaff

Whether businesses are starting up a new team or looking for a better way to manage employees, Hubstaff has everything required to run teams confidently. With the innovative and robust time tracking and task management solution,...

Browse Hubstaff Reviews

1,194 of 1,194 reviews
Ewan M. Ewan M.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 20/7/2020

The best solution for integrated task management and thorough time tracking and reporting.

Very happy I moved from Time Doctor to Hubstaff. Huge improvements on all areas and a satisfying product to use. The experience is so good that I find myself wanting to stay with Hubstaff regardless of whether my need for time tracking reduces.

Pros

- Integrated Task Management platform (Hubstaff Tasks) allows for agile style task management that feeds appropriate tasks to user's timers.
- Nice user interface
- Good reporting functions
- Thorough tracking options
- Client/project budgets
- Very good Customer Support

Cons

- I discovered some bugs during usage (which the developers have ironed out)
- Time off / holiday allowance policy function is a great addition, but doesn't allow enough granularity as decimals of hours (or minutes) can't be used.

Clockify, Harvest, WorkPuls, Wrike, TMetric, Toggl Track and Everhour

Reasons for Choosing Hubstaff

More accurate and granular control of task management needed. Also felt that Time Doctor was outdated from a UI perspective.

Time Doctor

Reasons for Switching to Hubstaff

Combination of functionality (thorough time tracking and agile task/project management), pricing, user experience and reviews.
Ray C. Ray C.

Reviewed on 4/6/2019

Cenedex Software Solutions - Hubstaff Review

Hubstaff has been our preferred platform to track all of our employee hours and tasks for a very long time, and we are extremely happy with the results in helping us organize our work flow and management.
We have been able to realize the ease in a long standing promise of transparency to our customers by sending frequent, detailed reports on the hours of developers on client projects.

Pros

We especially love about hubstaff is the newly released "Hubstaff Tasks" function which allows us to track the task along with the time taken for each user. As a software company that prides itself in transparency, our clients truly appreciate seeing how their money is spent, and Hubstaff offers them the perfect easily-exported PDF files.

Cons

Rather than what we like least, we recognize that each platform is a growing and developing business, and Hubstaff has show us that they are constantly improving to meet customer needs.
To this extend I would love to see these improvements in the next major update:

1) To be able to connect one-single project to multiple integrations at a time, for example to Hubstaff Tasks as well as Quickbooks.

2) To be able to upgrade a single user or owner to a higher plan, so as to take advantage of the higher tier benefits.

3) To be able to edit Immutable times from external integrations, in the case of Human error in selecting projects or Tasks.

Luis daniel R. Luis daniel R.

Reviewed on 2/8/2019

Awesome tool to track productivity

Pros

This is by far the most robust time tracking software I've ever tested. I love the screenshot taking feature and how easy is to create new tasks

Cons

I don't like that the pricing model is not per user, so let's say you have 6 employees you need to get the 10 employees plan instead of adding just one additional user.

Response from Hubstaff

Hi Luis,
Thanks for the feedback!

It is great to hear that you are enjoying software and screenshot feature.

In regards to the pricing model we understand that our current pricing model may not fit everyone which is why we are adding a per user plan shortly.

If you have any questions feel free to reach out to our support team and we will be happy to help.

Thanks again!

Replied 5/8/2019

Top Hubstaff Alternatives

Jessica N. Jessica N.
  • Industry: Fund-Raising

Reviewed on 10/7/2018

The best time tracking platform out there

It saves me so much time and allows me to easily check work product progress for my staff and partner consultants who work a state a way or across the world. It also allow me to be completely mobile when I need to be and allows the same for my staff/partners.

Pros

Hubstaff is, hands down, the best time tracking platform on the market. My business would not function efficiently without it, and I honestly wouldn't be able to be as mobile as I am without it. My business model depends upon collaborations and Hubstaff makes that possible for me with very little time spent on administration. You simply can't beat the cost for what you get!

Cons

While Hubstaff is brilliant at what it does, I haven't upgraded to their premium account because I find the payroll and billing to lack the flexibility I need to work well. For example, it doesn't allow me to write-in a description of activities accomplished on the billing, which some of my clients require. So I'm stuck using other platforms for that. Also, there's so much potential in their task system to replace other project management platforms, but it's not there yet.

Chloe C. Chloe C.

Reviewed on 31/7/2018

Brilliant product, easy to use, does all you need it to

Hubstaff allows me to keep track of how much time I'm spending on each of my clients individually as well as how much time I am spending on my own work such as accounts or my own social media. In turn, it has allowed me to work out a much bette hourly rate to work towards and allows me to identify those clients who take up too much of my time for their budget.

I use the Hubstaff monthly reports to give a clearer overview of where my time has been spent.

Overall, Hubstaff has allowed me to work to better financial goals as well as helping with optimising my time.

Pros

This software is a brilliant price for what it does. When looking for a good time tracking software I wasn't too sure which would be best for me, however, I figured it was worth a shot. I only use it's basic features - eg I don't use the invoicing etc just the time tracking but by doing so I have really managed to optimise my time spent on both client work and personal work. I also like the ease of use of the software. I primarily use the Mac Application but have also used Hubstaff on my phone (iPhone) and PC - all of which have been simple to use.

Cons

At first, I found it difficult to find monthly reporting, however after a quick Google I managed to resolve this. I think it could be made easier to find.

Matt B. Matt B.

Reviewed on 14/9/2018

Great value for the money

My main problem I was looking to solve was time keeping. I wanted a small tool that would sit in my tray that I could easily switch between projects. As a consultant, I need to track my time in a fairly accurate manner, not only for my customers, but for internal forecasting on how long services take to deliver. Hubstaff made that very easy with an app that sat in my tray, and was a simple click to start/stop time, or change projects on the fly.

Pros

I liked #1 that you fully support a LINUX client. So hard to find that support these days. I also liked the integrations with other platforms for pulling in projects and subprojects. We use LiquidPlanner for our project management, and Hubstaff made it so much easier to track my time.

Cons

I had a problem getting it to connect to multiple sources. I tried pulling from LiquidPlanner for project stuff, and Asana for task management, but could never quite get it working. I was working with tech support on it, when my company basically pulled the plug and went a different direction, so I never got to see the final solution.

Michelle K. Michelle K.

Reviewed on 30/11/2018

Mediocre

I work remotely so they want to see when I'm working and see screenshots to make sure I'm actually doing work. So, for a management point of view, it is a useful tool if you want to see everything from when they clocked on, what they were working on, screenshots, and how much activity they had when they were working. From a user perspective, I think it could be improved. Maybe improving the minimized version. And perhaps creating a favorites option for tasks you work on regularly.

Pros

It works. I don't have any issues with it starting or turning off and it gives you the corrects time. I like that it tells me when it takes screenshots and you can export your data.

Cons

I can't use the minimized version unless I want to keep opening it up and changing the timer again and again so I just keep the max window open and hide it behind everything. I would like it if there was a "favorites" section where your most commonly used tasks were grouped together. I work for a company that has a ton of projects that they want us to record and I feel like I'm digging through stuff.

Tri L. Tri L.

Reviewed on 17/7/2020

Hubstaff, your go-to tool to manage the remote working

Hubstaff is a tool I recommend to all people manage a team of remote workers.

Pros

The integration with many platforms and how they communicate seamlessly.

Cons

I work with Jira. Sometimes it has verification problem which makes the calculation of the work time inaccurate.

Harvest and Time Doctor

Reasons for Switching to Hubstaff

Screenshot features and the package.
Alexander R. Alexander R.

Reviewed on 16/3/2018

It's the best time tracking app I've used so far.

Pros

I think the most valuable pro is to the person or company how you're working for, it gives you so much information about what the people is doing, the activity rates, etc. The time tracking is accuarated to the time you've been working. And it doesn't consume any of the PC resources at all.
You can have anywhere you are working, the phone, the PC. Even without having the app.

Cons

Casually I recently had a problem, my computer didn't updated to the summer so the hubstaff became a little crazy. The fact is that the customer support haven't help me at all, the reply the emails late, of telling my things like "you don't have access to internet". I think thats a way to improve the service, have better qualified people answering the customer issues. Other thing is that one day a person replys you and 4 hours later another completly different. that makes me think I'm dealing with bots.

Sara J. Sara J.
  • Industry: Media Production

Reviewed on 16/7/2020

Excellent tracking for remote teams

Hours and productivity are tracked easily day to day and the platform provides useful feedback. I have recemmended to other business leaders also.

Pros

This platform is fantastic for managing remote employees, with great tracking and reporting features.

Cons

Sometimes it's difficult to find the right report I need, I also wasn't able to autopay with PayPal due to some country restictions on a feature that Habstaff deems essential... Not sure it that's able to fixed by Hubstaff though.

Response from Hubstaff

Hey there Sara, thanks for letting us know. Could you check out this article: https://support.hubstaff.com/reports-overview/ for more detailed how-to's? Thanks for recommending Hubstaff to other leaders as well. Stay safe!

Replied 22/10/2021
Hazel P. Hazel P.

Reviewed on 1/4/2019

Aside from the clunky updating issues, everything else is great

I'd rate the Hubstaff tracker an 8 out of 10. I like it best because it doesn't lag when I used it and it doesn't slow my computer down.

Pros

I like that it's not heavy on my computer but can still take the necessary screenshots and task recording. It also integrates easily with several of the other apps that I use for work, so that's a win. I can just complete
a task via Hubstaff and it automatically completes the Asana task connected to it. That's a timesaver.

Cons

Every time there's a new update, just updating the app I've already installed doesn't work. I have to uninstall and reinstall the tracker manually each time.

Wes F. Wes F.

Reviewed on 13/7/2018

Great overall, but there is something missing...

Time tracking, monitoring, and Asana integration

Pros

- Great value for the money
- The integration with our task tool, Asana, works pretty well
- Ability to set internal and external rates per hour
- Daily task summary emails are helpful
- Time/Screen tracking has worked flawlessly--which is the core of the product.
- Timesheets can be reviewed

Cons

- Reporting is finicky. Has the basic options but not too granual
- The desktop (Windows) app is dated. It works, but doesn't look great. And the integration with Asana leaves much to be desired (tasks are not laid out properly)
- Inability to initiate the desktop client from the Asana web app. So, to start time on a task, you need to find it in Asana, then find the same one in the desktop app (which is difficult when you have multiple tasks using the same name), then click "Start"
- Asana integration does not update itself when projects are removed, renamed, or added.

Allan M. Allan M.

Reviewed on 17/9/2018

A tool that is paying for itself

We use Hubstaff daily with my team (8 freelancers) we keep track of time and tasks with it and it's integrated with Trello so we can directly assign those tasks on a single application and use it with Hubstaff without any issues. From the manager point of view it's a great tool to keep track of what's going on with your team and how time is spent. I would love having a the old dashboard where I could see the overall team's work. From the freelancer's point of view sometimes we spend lots of time reading or investigating and this affects the overall activity giving the impression that you are not working because there is low activity on the keyboard and mouse.

Pros

Easy to use, very user friendly and accurate with time tracking.

Cons

When you integrate a project with Trello, you can't add new manual tasks. Sometimes the reports for activity are really aggressive giving the impression you are not working

Willie H. Willie H.

Reviewed on 20/12/2020

save me time and money

This is great to keep track of employees who don't work in the office. In this time of covid it is a needed tool. But to get real use out of it you need the pay version not the free one.

Pros

time tracking software that is simple to understand and easy to use. lets your follow the work of employees work. Lets you know if they are really working. You can take screen shots of what they are working on. Great for remote worker, Keeps honest people honest. Has GPS tracking so you know where the employees are. Employees don't get to report their time, time is accurately tracked with the software

Cons

Not really needed if your employees are working in the office. Some employees don't want to use it because they feel lit is spying on them. Has a free and paid version. You will not get much use out of the free version. For it to be useful you need the paid version.

Zeahlot L. Zeahlot L.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Reviewed on 20/9/2021

The best tool for team management!

We have found a lot of benefits using Hubstaff as our main system to keep tracking of our team. We love that we can divide our team by department and they can specify the tasks they're working on and also mark them as complete.

Hubstaff offers useful reports that we use to pay our team at the end of the month, it's very friendly and easy to use.

Pros

Hubstaff is a friendly, easy to use tool to keep track of our remote team. Hubstaff is one of the most important systems inside our company to manage our team. We are a 100% online company that's why we use Hubstaff every day, and we love that it does not affect the performance of our computers or phones.

Cons

We can not find something difficult or useless inside Hubstaff. Sometimes the app has a glitch on tracking times or matching the times on the website, but if we take a look later on the day, it is working properly.

Eugene B. Eugene B.

Reviewed on 5/12/2018

Hubstaff review

Good

Pros

I login and go, and at the end of the month I get paid - simple

Cons

We need to manually put in our Paid Time Off - PTO. Keeping track of my personal PTO is a nightmare. The calendars on the reports to set up custom time fields are clunky and often do not save.

Having a more intuitive PTO system in place that has running totals would be useful. So, for example, I could tell HubStaff that I am allowed 8 hours paid leave for every 66 hours worked, to a maximum of 22 days (176 hours) for every 365 days. Hubstaff could then let me know how much of the 22 days I have used in the last 365 days.

This would also save hours of work for the HR department

Jt P. Jt P.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Reviewed on 16/7/2020

Timetracking + Payments + Screen Recordings = Winning

Fantastic. It has made managing a remote team significantly easier.

Pros

I love that it makes time tracking and payment super easy. But also that you can look at the screen recordings of teammates, that's particularly useful with graphic designers to catch issues before they get too far down the line.

Cons

Managing through the different member settings and evaluating the differences between bill rate and pay rate can get slightly confusing if you're not using it for the bill rate functionality. The payments through PayPal's Mass Payments Gateway can be odd to reconcile as it relates to fees between accounting software, Paypal and HubStaff but that's not HubStaff's fault.

Response from Hubstaff

Hey JT, thanks for sharing your thoughts about this! Would love for you to check out our blog articles and support.hubstaff.com for more tips and how-to's regarding the usage of Hubstaff. Thanks, and stay well.

Replied 22/10/2021
Asad R. Asad R.

Reviewed on 17/4/2019

Boosts Productivity!

It is overall great, beneficial and a good investment for a company, and we wish to see more improvements in the future.

Pros

Hubstaff provides an easy way to keep the teams organized, as an administrator, I can easily check the progress of teams and track the working times.

Cons

Hubstaff should offer more customization options to customize the working of the app according to the environment/nature of office and working e.g setting idle timeout, screenshot frequency etc. Our work is dependent upon internet, but when the internet is off, it still tracks time, although the team is not working at that time, so there should be an option to adjust these settings.

Silvano J. Silvano J.

Reviewed on 21/8/2020

It's a great tool for time management

Hubstaff is a great tool. It's really simple to use and it's even fun and motivating to check the amount that you are going to receive bases on the work time.

Pros

Hubstaff is really simple for our collaborators to use to track their work time. It's nice because you can config the hourly rate of the collaborator, and when the team member starts the timer, it automatically starts to calculate the total amount of money gained on that period.

Cons

Sincerely, I think Hubstaff has all the features we need in our organization to track time and calculate the amount we need to spend.

Jira

Reasons for Switching to Hubstaff

Because of the time management and calculation of the hourly rate
  • Industry: Gambling & Casinos

Reviewed on 23/8/2018

I like Hubstaff in general, it's good value for money

I'm using Hubstaff for a while and it does the job for me.

Pros

- Relatively easy to use
- Integrates with Trello that helps to evaluate performance of team members
- Affordable
- Very responsive support

Cons

- I can't set currency per team member. If somebody prefer to be paid in different current I need to perform manual calculation
- Can't modify time if project is linked with Trello
- I really don't like that my admin user counts against billing. For example subscription with 3 team members allow me to hire only 2 persons. I never use Hubstuff to track my time or make payments to myself. I believe subscription for 3 (and so on) team members should allow me to hire exactly 3 members.
- I didn't find the way to get a report that will show me how much time in was spent on each task in total.

Oliver K. Oliver K.

Reviewed on 10/5/2019

Excellent tracking, useless reporting

Time tracking is a breeze, but I am always wasting a lot time seeking for the simple data I need, like monthly or weekly hours spent per project.

Pros

Time Tracking very accurate and easy, screenshots and app usage help me to identify what i have worked on.

Cons

Full of useless functions and data, but useful information can hardly be found or not found at all.

Response from Hubstaff

Hi, Oliver.

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback.

You can customize your Hubstaff dashboard by adding or removing features, like "Monitor desktop activity" or "Location tracking". You'll find this option at the bottom of the sidebar, "+ More features". You can find this and more information on our support page, https://support.hubstaff.com

We understand data-overload can be very consuming of your time, and we aim to provide you with a product that is simple to use and actually gives you time back.

Thank you again.

Courtney

Replied 13/5/2019
Jay A. Jay A.

Reviewed on 25/7/2019

Hubstaff is the ideal tool for employee time track

Overall Hubstaff is awesome. It does everything we need at a price we can afford. I've recommended it to multiple business owners of remote teams and they've loved it as well.

Pros

- Simple to setup
- Very affordable
- Lots of added functionality beyond just time tracking
- User app is great

Cons

- Extra functionality can be a bit expensive
- I wish it had more integrations for payment options

Response from Hubstaff

Hi Jay,
Thanks for your feedback!

I understand that our current payment options may be limited for some users.
However, if you contact our support team with more details as to what payment options you are looking for we would be happy to submit a feature request to our developers for you.

Thanks again,

Replied 29/7/2019
Candice M. Candice M.

Reviewed on 10/7/2018

Hubstaff is great.

Hubstaff drives productivity and this is what makes it best.

Pros

It drives productivity among my team! It also sends reports each time for each user and also for each project daily. It's easy to pull up reports such as time spent, and productivity of each member to know whether or not they worked diligently or slacked off.

Cons

No webcam shots so it would really help if this is incorporated. With virtual workers, it helps to see the member who's in front of the computer, depending on the project on hand and the clientele who hires our team. At times, I encounter this request from our US-based clients.

Nathalie B. Nathalie B.
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Reviewed on 21/8/2021

I choose Hubstaff and never questioned my decision afterwards

After long search for a Asana task time tracker, we decided to go with Hubstaff. I never got back to asking myself if I made the wrong choice.

I needed an app that integrated with Asana to be able to follow what the team is working on and how much time they spend on the projects.

I also use it to follow freelancers time for their invoicing.

Pros

Integration with Asana
Overall ease of use

Cons

To many features for my needs

Reviewed on 8/6/2018

good but need to be better

i use it to track my time record along the day, it help me keep productive and track which projects i am working on it right now and what i will work on it after that, that nice features helps me keep focus and productive.

Pros

it simple to use, the login process is easy with no ridiculous loading or something like that. the task although well oriented to make start work immediately.

Cons

ui of the program is too old they need to refresh the designs and make it more materialistic with keeping everything simple as that ( as we may found unnecessary flicking due to this updates).