About athenaOne

athenahealth currently works with a network of more than 160,000 providers. The EHR offers a homepage that allows users to review the daily schedule and patient information, manage orders, and view incoming lab results. The...

Browse athenaOne Reviews

Jarred J. Jarred J.

Reviewed on 9/12/2018

Very easy to pick up and get going.

Pros

The user interface is very friendly and everything is set up to guide you through easily while entering patient information.

Cons

Sometimes the add on software like the label printer and document printer would stop working, but that is rare.

Dr nicole W. Dr nicole W.

Reviewed on 12/5/2020

Nickels and Dimes!

Some good, but everything is too automated and what's important easily falls through the digital cracks.

Pros

Admittedly, the software is easy to use and offers meaningful use suggestions. The five step patient visit is simple to understand. The patient portal is nice, however, the patient facing portion could look more modern. Billing is easy from a practitioner standpoint. It also is starting to integrate with other EMRs so occasionally we can pull labs and imaging from other participating systems.

Cons

Setup was arduous to say the least. Also, once claims are submitted, that's another story. I was sold that this software was all-in-one. They LIED. This is NOT the software for a small practice. They act as if I have an army of billing people when they told me that Athena was all I needed! For example, there was functionality that we needed to be aware of to find an important document from medicare. NO ONE told us and this document languished in some digital box. If we were a hundred person organization, I could pay someone to sit and manage the 20 or so boxes where they put communication. As a result, we got kicked off medicare for THREE months until I found out and remedied the cause.
I was assigned a 'customer success rep' and had to find out who it was because she never scheduled a call. The previous THREE other reps were no better.
They treat small practices like we don't matter.
If you have less than 100 employees, FIND ANOTHER EMR.

I'm in the market for another.

Molly K. Molly K.

I LOVE IT!

We've been using Athenahealth since 10/2010. The first year of transition took some preparation each evening before seeing the next day of patients BUT entering the notes was my pre-visit preparation and I really got to know my patients! We designed our templates, I write and use templated notes for results - my patients get their results within hours after I receive them, and their PCP gets a copy of my note after each visit. No more calls/postage - and I have documentation that our patient opened my note and received her result!
Patients appreciate our getting things "right" and enjoy have access to their chart through the portal. Since 10/11, I walk out of the office 5 minutes after my last patient leaves; all the bills are dropped as patients leave. I do about 15-20 minutes of online charting and calling on days I'm not in the office - from the airport, on vacation, etc. Minor issues are handled by email. The last of our paper charts is scheduled for shredding soon!

Pros

It is designed for me. Information is at my fingertips and I can personalize each visit just as I did with paper. No filing, no searching.
Very helpful have Epocrates built into the Rx field.
I've never had an issue with support not addressing my issue.

Cons

If you don't type, you won't appreciate any EMR - I take advantage of HPI, notes and Assessment fields to write/type the same note I would write in the past. (Now it's legible.)
Miss having Up To Date coordinated with the chart.
The system has been "out" only once in our experience - fortunately, Athena was very responsive and we were running again before we found pen/paper.

Top athenaOne Alternatives

Maia C. Maia C.

Comprehensive, reliable

I have been with AthenaHealth for 5 years, and it has been significantly better than my previous system. Very robust system, but takes time to learn the functions. Transition to streamlined version was difficult at first, but actually does save time and makes sense, and is mirrors the actual patient encounter better.

Pros

It has taken away the work of the office for attaining Meaningful Use. Report creation allows you to drill down on clinical information or financial information easily. Patients love the ability to communicate with the office on their time. Much less time calling patients to remind them of their bills or appointments. Athena does your filing for you, or you can barcode documents and they automatically get filed correctly.

Cons

System takes a long time to master. Sometimes have to wait on hold for support (not in India). Billing and follow-up still needs to be done by office, even though the bills go out electronically by athena. Athena does not do very much to follow up on the problem bills, and will not contact patients, other than to send reminders of bills due.

Beth L. Beth L.

Reviewed on 19/7/2016

Idea is cool, but a few glitches..

Athenanet is okay, I was able to learn it quickly but I still get frustrated with some things; it's not my preferred EMR system but it's not the worst either; I like that there's Athena-people that help the business but sometimes I think they're lazy and don't follow-up with a lot; if you're going to help, HELP, don't just leave things undone and be like, "oops I tried but not my problem" basically...

Pros

I like that the flow of my day is pretty well maintained b/c of athenanet, it's pretty easy to follow since the last big update

Cons

There's TOO much info sometimes and is very repetitive; if I could label things myself like we do on our regular computers and not be forced to put things in specific spots. I don't like if I have a case open, you personally have to make sure to check on it otherwise they say basically "if we don't hear from you in 5 days, we assume it's good and close the issue"- why isn't there an alert system when you've responded? AND don't put it in the news/messages b/c NOBODY checks that, it's a waste of space basically and adds additional task of checking for nonsense b/c we communicate already through the chart via the yellow alerts or in a case or in the instant messaging

Too many steps/repetitive, once the dr reviews labs, she can put it in our box and then I will call the pt and then once I close it, let it be closed.. why would it go to the Notify box now? I've already notified the pt... Why when we print labs from the exam does it go to staff inbox, clearly we've printed it so now I just waste 5 seconds opening it up just to close out of it....

Tamara I. Tamara I.

functional but time-consuming EMR

Had a previous EMR from 2008-2014 that was much more pediatric-specific and pediatric-friendly. Had to make a switch when Meaningful Use happened, and Athena seemed the best of the options. It is not nearly as peds-friendly, and there is MUCH more clicking every day, every hour, every encounter. Whereas moving from paper to EMR originally sped up my work, moving from our first EMR to Athena did not speed things up and seems overall to slow things down in fact.

Pros

smart lists that know what orders might go with what diagnoses
ability to remind patients of next appointments, vaccines, etc.
ease of creating reports about anything
integration of Portal with EMR

Cons

no "office view". This is the single most frustrating part about Athena. In our old EMR, I could easily see what patients were in what room waiting for one doctor in the office all at once. THat's not possible with Athena, and without that, I will never feel completely happy with the system.

I also hate how difficult it is to quickly look at recent visits, because the "Visits" tab includes phone calls, and other "encounters" that aren't the same as visits.

The new streamlined version makes taking care of quality parameters impossible because of the time involved to click and wait on each one. (In the previous version, I could click on everything that was satisfied outside of Athena and then save it at once). Now I just ignore that tab due to time.

Neil S. Neil S.

Reviewed on 24/4/2019

Athena review

Pros

Athena was the first EMR I used when converting from paper charts. There was a huge learning curve and only because of the expertise of a well trained hospital employee were we able to survive the transition. It slowed us down but our notes and billing were improved.

Cons

I wish you could open 2 windows at once like other EMRs. The reason I would never recommend this system is because they were unable to help us merge charts from one athena chart to another. We were forced to change our Tin number when our hospital was acquired by another hospital system. They said they couldn't carry information like consults,lab trends,imaging reports and pretty much everything we needed to make a smooth transition. I could understand if we were changing form Epic to Athena. This made no sense and in the ever changing medical environment with acquisitions happening on a frequent basis I would be very wary about using this system. It has been a complete disaster for me and everyone I know in our medical group.

Elizabeth R. Elizabeth R.

Reviewed on 18/10/2019

Athena helps me daily

This would be a better question for my billing cycle manager.

Pros

As EMR systems go, there are many things I love about Athena. I am able to modify my templates for patient encounters VERY quickly and easily. I am able to work with the billing department to modify and adjust CPT and ICD 10 codes which helps the billing department keep up with the ever changing insurance rules and regulations - keeping us in compliance. I love the use of macros and the ability to structure instructions, messages, things I do and say routinely but don't need to be typed or dictated over and over.

Cons

Not an Athena problem, but a global problem. The huge catalog of labs and imaging studies with their particular names and codes, can be hard to find when trying to keep up with charting on a rolling basis. I wish there could be a uniform catalog for labs.

Kelly F. Kelly F.

Reviewed on 20/7/2016

The Review

The new upgrade has completed. We have several employee s who only have half of the new streamlined system. There are some of us who only have the new version and some who only have the old version. I believe Athena should of worked out all the issues before going live.

Pros

It is a new system and once we get to use it more we will be able to see the strengths and weakness of the system.

Cons

We were not told of the features that were being removed. I understand we must adapt to change. I 'm curious which practices you interviewed to determine that certain features were no longer needed so you deleted them with the new upgrade. I don't feel that my staff learned the information they need through the tutorials.

Tuoc D. Tuoc D.

Reviewed on 1/7/2016

EMR in outpatient surgery clinic

Pros

Athenahealth is easy to learn and train other personnel for use. It is also easily adaptable to physician's preferences. Athena service has also updated features based on feedback from physicians which is great.

Cons

I wish the training video was geared towards clinic use. The training sessions showed me how to use different billing features but was missing information on how to use the chart and schedule. This was quite a few years ago when we first started with Athena so this may have changed already, but I'm not aware. I also would like training videos for new personnel to watch. Right now, office personnel are training new employees. I know other EMRs have training videos which one can watch which would be helpful and more efficient use of time. The mobile app isn't very good so I can't do much on my phone. That really needs to be fixed.

Evan C. Evan C.

Reviewed on 14/2/2017

Good product that has its faults

Athena's system over-all has helped us with compliance and tracking of accounts receivable. The rules system and scrubbing process for claims are a work in progress but as you create more billing rules, there are fewer denials on the back end.
I find the system to be a little slow, but overall is quite functional to our needs. Our staff has found the system to be easy to use. We have found the more time you spend creating templates the quicker the patient flow is.
There are some billing issues that were not talked about on the front end such as web access for some payers which delayed payment on claims and resolving that was and continues to be quite time-to consume. Overall the system works as advertised and has been helpful to our office flow, claims, and A/R.

Pros

Easy to follow claims and a/r with work flows on every claim.
Easy office pt work flow

Cons

The system itself runs slowly regardless of the computer its run on. The system is a little convoluted and can be hard to navigate. Some system billing errors, specifically w/ dme that had to be resolved.
Does not handle referral needs well, must create custom rules. Given how important this is, it should be integrated into the system but isn't.

Yazmin N. Yazmin N.

Great EMR

Overall, Athena is really good at helping you do everything you need to do in order to take care of your patients. Their visit summaries and their order is great, claim billing is easy, and this EMR has a lot of great features.

Pros

Ease of claim billing, check-in process flows really well, and the in-take is also easy all you have to do is follow the steps. Like how the system does confirmation calls, and they provide patient portal access which a lot of our patients love.

Cons

The only con I have is sometimes if there is a claim with a specific error, you really have to spend time to push it through, and if there is an Athena rule in place, you have to get a few people involved.

Luis G. Luis G.

Reviewed on 14/2/2017

Great product with small things that can be improved

I've been using Athena for the past 2.5 years. It has gone through some major changes during that time, all of which I believe are improvements in its functionality and ease of use. As a physician I find it incredibly easy to navigate through my notes and the patients chart while I am in the note. I can add orders while I am on the same page as my HPI or Exam. I can pull up labs and view them in a flowsheet format without losing my place in the note/encounter. Overall it is a great system.

Pros

Great customer support, great ease of use, functions very smoothly

Cons

Lots of smaller (and sometimes big) things that Athena can improve on that seemingly drags its feet with. They offer a "ideas" or suggestions page where we as users can vote on ideas which is great, but it seems like many of these ideas are ignored or not prioritized.

Debbie K. Debbie K.

Reviewed on 17/11/2016

Review of Athenahealth EMR

Although my experience with this particular EMR was brief, I was training staff on it for another office. I was able to see it s limitations and determine it would be a problem for this practice. I have had 46 years of medical office management with several different practice management and EMR systems.

Pros

I appreciate some of the charting and reporting features. Since this software is typically used for multiple locations it is very helpful data can be combined for correct analysis. I also appreciate the ability to communicate across the other facilities.

Cons

I feel it is extremely necessary for the front office staff to have the upper hand when making appointments and not having the balance or even the billing situation available while scheduling an appointment is a significant draw back to me. I prefer to review data "Mrs. Jones there was a problem with your insurance claim 3 weeks ago, you will need to call your insurance and get that resolved or be prepared to pay $XX.Xx when you check in today".

Dorothy M. Dorothy M.

Vicksburg Women's Care, Inc - Review

We have been associated with Athena since 2008, which we began with the billing component and adding the EHR in 2010. I was amazed at the ease of using the software without hands on persons for training. I am not a young person (73yrs old) but the online training was unbelievably easy to grasp. I have spoken with other clinics/physicians about Athena and given rave review. As things should progress every so often we will be required to streamline, learn to do something a different way, etc. When ICD-10 came upon us, it seemed a little scary but when we went live with it, a piece of cake. Cannot say enough "good" things about Athena.

Pros

The ease of using all parts, billing as well as clinical.

Cons

Sometimes have slow response from CSC when we are trying to solve a problem, passed around a lot.

Roger S. Roger S.

Reviewed on 5/10/2017

AthenaHealth EHR

They have a wide array of reports, especially billing and RCM reports. Chronic Care Mgt is developed and usable.

They offer a number of training videos and if the staff is given the time to watch them, then in time one can become conversant in using the software. But there is an initially high learning curve even with having experience with other EHR/PMS.

Pros

The EHR/PMS is a unified system that is very all-encompassing and is capable of serving the needs of a broad number of specialties as well as primary care.

Cons

The EHR attempts to do too much and has become too complex in its workings. As a result, when you need assistance on most anything, you will have to create a case for further assistance. I particularly found this very frustrating in trying to resolve A/R issues such as unpostables or unallocated ERAs; especially in light of the fact that Athena earns a percentage of all practi ce revenue and is supposed to be a partner in the initial processing and reviewing of claims, denials and rejections. I found very litte to actually point to what was being done on the front end by their billing personnel.

Jane K. Jane K.
1.5

Reviewed on 19/6/2016

I am a provider and have used this system for over one year.

Pros

The prompts that help with RAF scores and star ratings is useful. I like the minichart feature and the meds data that pops up so I know what meds pts have been filling or getting elsewhere. I like the format for the assessment/plan and ordering of labs/studies/meds. I like that you can trend data like vital signs and labs.

Cons

THE BOX TO VIEW RESULTS IS A SMALL WINDOW IN WHICH YOU CAN ONLY SEE A LITTLE PART OF THE LABS AT A TIME AND HAVE TO SCROLL FOREVER TO SEE THE WHOLE THING. PLEASE ATHENA CHANGE YOUR VIEWING SCREEN FOR LAB RESULTS.
The scrolling action for everything is cumbersome and wastes so much time; there should be tabs that take you to each part of the note- the "jump to" feature is not the same and only works when you're working from the "exam" tab. It's hard to find old labs/notes/results unless you scroll, scroll, scroll through past notes. The more times the pt has been there the more scrolling you have to do to find things. There is no tab for imaging studies/labs/consults, etc.
**There is also no way to mark the incoming labs/documents/etc in your inbox to know that you've already viewed them; you may want to hold on to them for some reason but if you can't label that you've viewed it, the next time you open your inbox you keep reopening the same ones to check if it's an old or new document. This wastes time because each click takes a while to load. The system often seems slow even though our internet connection is fine. Jumping from one thing to another causes you to lose the window you were in.
There is no easy way to mark charts you want to make reminder notes for yourself on; you have to make a pt case each time and that crowds your pt case box. When someone replies to a pt case or sends a lab/imaging result back with notes it ends up back in my box but not marked as read or unread and sometimes I dont open because I think it's still the same old note/result I'm saving.
If I want to make suggestions to Athena there's no one to talk to about these things.

Amanda M. Amanda M.

Athena Review

The software and reporting are from Athena are nice but more improvements to the co-sourcing model would make it better!

Pros

Reporting out of Athena is very nice as you can run ad hoc reports and easily put into EXCEL and quickly put together a pivot table. Much nicer than our old antiquated system!

Cons

I generally like the software, my only concerns are with the co-source/customer service. Generally, turn around times on tickets are much longer than I prefer. When I have an issue, I would like a resolution within 2 days MAX especially for simple fixes. Before we had the co-sourcing model, we would have fixed issue right then without all of the wait!

Chris P. Chris P.

Practicing EMR Expert Review

Athenahealth is the best life boat for any independent practicing physician or group.
It is the best EMR and billing solution if you don't like being employed.
No margin, no mission. Not in business or in medicine.
So, the best EMR solutions IMHO are those that started as biling solutions and added EMR later, not vice versa.
Many reviews are focused solely on the clinical aspects of the EMR but, again: no margin, no mission.
There may be better EMR clinical solutions but nobody matches Athenahealth on billing, EMR, patient portal, integrated functionality, and low cost.
The best single solution for independent physicians. Look no further.

Pros

For an all inclusive solution to what ails most independent physicians, there is no better option.

Cons

The EMR could be more versatile in terms of templating.

Lu G. Lu G.

Reviewed on 16/11/2017

Athena is the most forward thinking EHR that exists

Pros

Athena is extremely easy to use. I am in charge of training new providers in our practice and even those that are terrible with computers seem to "get it" quickly. It's loaded with great tools and features and I'm able to finish my notes immediately after seeing patients. It has many ways to customize it for my practice.

Cons

There are so many small improvements that Athena could make and while they do offer a sort of "suggestion" page within their system that they review, they are more focused on forward improvement than dedicating resources to fix the small issues that exist with the current system.

Nick F. Nick F.

Reviewed on 29/8/2017

Good, but not great.

Overall, Athena is good enough to select as an EMR for urgent care after you put in hundreds of hours to get it set up how you would like it. If just starting out, Athena would not be my first choice. There are other better options that perform better and costs less. Once you start with Athena, it's hard to switch EMR's bc of the lockbox and the fact of losing all patient data.

Pros

- I like the ability to customize "most things" in Athena. It would be nice to have more flexibility to customize layouts like the classic version of Athena.
- Once you create templates, the charting can be completed fairly quickly.
- Epocrates is built into the Athena order screen.

Cons

- Only 1 person at a time may enter and/or complete orders.
- Expensive % of collections cost.
- Not geared towards Urgent Care.
- Minimal reporting options for the clinical side.

Reba K. Reba K.

Reviewed on 20/6/2016

Athena people are awesome!!

Pros

Athena representatives are always there to help! They take the time to go over whatever questions you have and if they can't answer the questions they will find someone who can or they will do all the research and contact me with the answer! They are understanding that I have patient's to process while on the phone with them and will wait for however long it might take! I'm always telling them that I appreciate their time and patience and I can't do my job without their having my back!! Great experience with them since 2009

Cons

I understand the constant updates but sometimes I wish they would actually ask the people who use it the most what they would like because on the occasion the changes make it a little longer to do the job.

Steven S. Steven S.

I cannot imagine the practice of medicine without Athena EHR

It does everything from soup to nuts. Keeps up with all meaningful use and PQRS effortlessly. Handles billing, intuitive documentation, patient reminders and communication. Seamless handles incoming clinical information such as labs, x rays, scans, consults that would otherwise overflow the fax or mail are now seamlessly integrated with the patient chart.

Pros

Always connected with the details of my patient care. Handles everything everywhere including built in electronic prescribing. Handy app for smartphones.
Streamlined and intuitive use. Works great with Dragon medical voice recognition software.

Cons

Always connected!

Brook A. Brook A.

Reviewed on 5/10/2021

Very dissappointed

Poor. what else can i say? If you had a question, you were routed to someone in pakistan who knew little to nothing about your billing but would read a paragraph they were given to tell you. It was silly.
Seriously, most of you know all billing companies kinda suck. But this is one of the worst. Athena was the main reason I closed by private practice. I considered switching billing companies, but I just got tire of dealing with it. Take my advice, DO NOT use AthenaOne for billing. The EMR portion is soso, middle of the road. Billing portion is 3 thumbs down.

Pros

not what it was advertised to be.
was also told that data migration would be seamless if i left; turns out I cant migrate anything. "termination team" still has not been assigned despite notice given to leave 3mo ago

Cons

Athena did a good job on selling me that all billing would be handled and I would need to put very little effort into this aspect. It couldnt have been further from the truth. In actuality, I needed to hire a full time biller to review the deficiencies created by Athena. The billing process is not run by billers, it is run by a software program. charges sat in a "bucket" until the charges were no longer valid due to untimely billing. I lost out on so much billing its sickening.

Jennifer S. Jennifer S.

Great outpatient practice EHR

Athena is very user friendly and has the key elements for a successful transition to EHR. It is fairly pediatric friendly, though check in could be improved for kids. The portal is a nice feature for parents but we are still working on what gets "published" on it.

The support folks are hit or miss. You do have to wait and they can't always fix it in real time. However, they are constantly improving!

Pros

Quick easy documentation. Nice pediatric features.

Cons

Too many clicks for documenting vaccines. Tough to find old documents, you have to use a clumsy search tool.