About eClinicalWorks

ClinicalWorks, an electronic health record (EHR) and practice management solution, provides technology for every step of the patient care delivery process. Clinicians access features including patient engagement, Telehealth,...

Browse eClinicalWorks Reviews

Andrew N. Andrew N.

Reviewed on 7/10/2019

Sufficient but lackluster

After using the product for 10 years our practice had learned to master the inefficient workarounds to where they have become 2nd nature. Unfortunately, recent server stability issues forced us to look for a new solution. Our hosted platform was eventually upgraded/moved to a more stable server farm however it was too late and the process to replace the software had already began. We eventually migrated to a new solution.

Pros

The price? As far as bargain EHRs goes, this is probably front runner, but the industry is lacking in innovation and functionality and this product is no different. Where you save money up front you pay for it by having a lack of features and seemless easy to use workflows. We constantly had to create nonsensical workarounds to achieve an acceptable workflow that was less painful for the providers but made it 10 times more difficult for the staff.

Cons

As a provider, you grade how easy an EHR is to use based on the number of clicks. As an IT professional you are able to assess a software's efficiency based on numerous other metrics. As the later, I can say by far the worst aspect is the number of clicks. With no redeeming qualities to speak having to drill down 5 or 6 menus to get to a patient's documents or financials and then be forced to back all the way out before checking on a 2nd patient's info is maddening. User's are forced to keep 2 instances open so as to not be forced to close a patient's demos/chart if they have to take a call and open a new patient's chart. This of course is explicitly denounced by eCW as forbidden. We do it anyway ... it's the only way.

Jason A. Jason A.

Reviewed on 4/9/2018

It gets the job done

It gets the job done for us and it probably just like most other EMRs they all have issues but at the end of the day they allow you to record your notes and bill the insurance.

Pros

ECW can get most of what you want done. I work mainly on the reporting side and staff support. The ability to pull reports is pretty good with their EBO system. We get almost everything we need reporting wise from that system whether it’s financial or encounter data. Their support is pretty responsive usually calling back the same day in most cases. Their billin service is pretty good and is very reasonable. Our company pays about 8% totally cost with ECW which is pretty much the industry standard.

Cons

There are sometimes a lot of clicks with ECW. Anytime you do an upgrade something is not going to work which is very frustrating. If you are a CPC practice you will be frustrated as their reporting dashboard took until the middle of 2018 to start working and then we upgraded and now we are waiting on a patch to get the dashboard back up. Don’t expect to speak to anyone that’s first language is English when you call support. We started with ECW in late 2015 and we had to setup everything from scratch which we thought was really strange as they have so many practices you would think there would already be templates for almost everything.

Cheryle B. Cheryle B.

Reviewed on 24/4/2018

Great for our small health department

We spent the time to document our processes and identify areas where we wanted change. When the business analyst came, we were able to concentrate on how we wanted the EMR to work. This is the difference in having someone install an EMR with the "usual" processes and making it work for you. They are very willing to work with you to make the product work for your needs, you just have to identify what you want. If they can't change something (we wanted a couple of languages added to the list in demographics and couldn't because they were not on a standard list) they can work with you to find a solution.

Pros

This is a very cost effective EMR for our small health department. We are able to customize progress notes to allow for fast and efficient documentation of immunizations. Messenger can be used to call and cancel patients if an emergency happens and we need to cancel patients. This can be done from the internet anywhere, which can be a big help not to have to go into the office during a severe weather event. We have had very responsive staff from eCW who helped us during customization and implementation. The chat feature on the support portal can give quick answers (except on Friday afternoon). The support techs have always been quick to get back to us. The eCW university that has videos to either train new staff or remind current staff of processes is very valuable. This saves trying to construct training materials on your own.

Cons

Data entry for historic immunization records is time consuming. I look forward to a time when we will have bi-directional data transmission with our state immunization database, which will eliminate the historical documentation. As others note, there can be difficulties with communication if a support person does not have English as their first language. It just takes slowing down and being patient.

Top eClinicalWorks Alternatives

Modernizing Medicine

InSync Healthcare Solutions

Larry H. Larry H.

Reviewed on 10/1/2018

Poor customer service and tech support. They are extraordinarily slow in responding to EHR...

I am posting this poor review due to a lack of response from tech and customer support. I would not recommend this EHR because of our my current issue with product and it should have been an easy fix given its been 5 months.

Pros

Reasonable ease of use for an EHR but all of EHRs still stink. More reasonable cost than most and was not dissatisfied with company until an update in August/Sept. Our particular problem has not been fixed in the last 5 months and I have not gotten any reasonable response back from the company about this issue. This particular part of the EMR was working well prior to the last update.

Cons

Poor tech and customer support. My office has sent him ticket after ticket online without any hint of trying to solve the problem. So not matter how cost effective the product may be or the ease of use if they are not going to respond efficiently and effectively to our user needs then they are not worth using.

Jennifer N. Jennifer N.

Reviewed on 6/9/2018

Specialty in Alabama

I have seen several comments that ecw is affordable. It is not....it's very expensive and they nickle and dime you to death. They tell you products are free and then a year later you get a huge bill for a service you were told was free. We probably pay a FTE's salary in what we pay annually for ecw.

Pros

Great product if you can actually figure out how to use without spending tons of hours and money on training. They stay on top of current issues and regulations.

Cons

We have had bugs in our system since it was built in 2012. It has never gotten better. No one speaks English as a first language EXCEPT FOR SALES DEPARTMENT, of course. Typically when we have questions or problems we let it go for as long as we can because we know how long and horrible it will be to deal with tech support.

Cathy E. Cathy E.

Reviewed on 11/10/2012

Our organization has 3 doctors that are primary physicians to residents in nursing home. We provide service for 9 nursing homes and continue to grow. We have 4 office staff and are all virtual. We use eClinicalWorks and Group One for billing and host through PSM.

We went with eClinicalWorks because Group One billing was incorporated with them and also the hosting of the server. We did not want to have to update our own software. We are a relatively new business and did not have any software previous. We bought it in 2011 and the implementation went fine. The team did learn how to use eClinicalWorks quickly and the templates have been very useful.

In regards to customer service I find that my main contact at Group One Tara Carney has been fantastic. When I have a need or issue she is right on it for me. She seems to know who to contact for me and they get back to me in a timely manner.

eClinicalWorks customer service is much tougher because of the big size and it seems that 4 people contact me about something that one person could take care of. I understand that it is large and things need to go through channels so I have just accepted that I will get many phone calls and need to go through many people. I seem to go back to Tara to have her handle the situation for me and she always points me in the right direction.

We are a different type of health care business and I know we have pushed a few people out of their box to get the functionality that we need to provide the best quality of care for the patient and to make it a great working environment for all. In doing so eClinicalWorks and Group One have always been receptive to growth and change to fit our needs so we can progress and that has been very much appreciated.

I would have to say the Group One has been fantastic and is the main reason that we are very happy with our choice of EMR. I would like to give Renzi Russell and especially Tara Carney much of the recognition they deserve for providing excellent customer service and a fantastic knowledge of their positions. Tara has been wonderful with all she does.

Mamatha A. Mamatha A.

Reviewed on 4/4/2019

Too many clicks/windows. Don't love the Hub system.

I was in a solo practice coming off the free version of Practice Fusion and moved to another local area office. I believed I would be moving to an office with a great integrated software system with practice management and EHR in one and all the bells and whistles. But any other features than what I had would be more money.
This one is not user friendly. I feel very badly for larger systems that mistakenly chose this software.
There is an extra charge for everything.
My data migration would have been cost prohibitive. Practice Fusion had let me move demographics and insurance with a few clicks in front of my eyes.
Every aspect of the free Practice Fusion was more reliable, easier to use, prettier to look at/cleaner.
I love medicine and patient care and EHR/business side has made it hard to find the perfect situation and made staying independent more difficult.
The upgrades are odd - now there are two sections in the note - Physical Exam and Regular Exam. What?
ICD-9s all remain. Why?
For many tasks, another window needs to open up. That is the critical time when the software may freeze and no way around logging back out and in.
Did I mention my "favorites" in prescriptions don't pop up. I can't figure out why they are there only half the time and I am typing the same prednisone taper over and over and over.

Pros

I've got nothing. I was an early adopter of EMR starting with Powermed in 2002 for 5 years, Springcharts for 5 years starting 2007. 2 versions of Allscripts at a volunteer clinic and another verions of Allscripts at an employed position.
I used Athena for 3 years at my solo practice and it was wonderful but I thought it was costly for a solo when the Meaningful Use dollars ran out. But looking back I would keep Athena or Practice Fusion and make it work.
Every single one of these were more friendly to doctors/patients and better for workflow.
I don't remember any glitches like this software.

Cons

-Too many clicks. If I get a message to refill a prescription from staff. It is 8 more clicks AFTER the prescription has been sent.
-Freezes and have to log out and log in multiple times a day.
-Ipad and Iphone version is terrible and you cannot do work - it's just a rudimentary emergency system.
-I am flabbergasted by how bad the ICD-10 lookup is. Both Practice Fusion and Athena are so good that I can't believe the ECW one can be this terrible.
-Pharmacy linking is very clunky. Practice Fusion had every pharmacy in the country at my fingertips.
-Record of prescriptions sent is very bad. Controlled substances are not there. Faxed ones are separate. There should be one med list with one set of dates! I have never seen this system on any other EHR.
-My counter for the referral jellybean and telephone encounter jellybean always say 1 even if I have zero in that inbox - VERY GLITCHY.
-E-refill requests, it rarely links the patient (almost like a fax coming in) and then it often does not link the drug in the chart and you have to search again for the drug
-Diabetic supplies are impossible to send in. All e-requests for diabetic supplies have to be sent denied
-Writing a prescription is very frustrating. It will say things like "duration must be entered in days" or "you did not chose the strength, dose or formulation". If you did change the strength, the number of tablets disappears and then when you go to send it, it will not send so you must return to a different screen

Robert L. Robert L.
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 27/1/2019

Never used more glitchy software, nor a more poorly designed UI in my life.

The owners/managers of this company need to sell to new managers who can overhaul the entire operation.

Pros

Ostensibly offers many features, from an integrated EMR/PM system to registration kiosks, etc... Once the kiosk app became functional (took months...see below), we were able to decrease our reg desk staff.

Cons

1. As others have stated, the initial 5 day training period was mostly used by their staff to fix their own glitches and get the the software to a base functional state. 2.5 of the 5 days training period was used to fix things like scripts which simply didn't work. So much of the provider training time was a total waste. we were than charged additional money to have them come back and spend more time with us.

2. Content is not provided. We were told the system can be used for urgent care. after all, one fo the largest chains int he country uses ECW. They didnt tell us that chain spent a significant amount of time and money customizing the system to suit the urgent care need.

3. ECW is unable to provide suggestions for how their software should function in an urgent care environment. asking them which flow would be ideal for their software is a useless question.

4. Their software was designed by folks who have never heard of UI/UX or Human factors. As others have noted there is not a consistent use of symbology between screens. There are often multiple ways to do the same function on one screen. Sometimes the label "close" means one thing on screen but another on another screen.

5. tech support is obscene. We were unable to unfavorite certain meds form our list. It took them weeks to months to figure out why.

6. Multiple sections of the software are labelled "procedures". one area results in a CPT code being auto listed on the billing screen; one area does not. Many other illogical quirks exist as well. Good luck trying to teach every new provider these types of quirks.

7. If you are an RCM customer, many of the features they use to market themselves are simply non functional. Patients of RCM clients cant use the patient portal to make payments since as an RM client, the software does not correctly send balance data to the portal. But if you call the "portal department", they are unaware of this problem. The web based version of their software to this day (early 2019) does not receive correct balance information for patient accounts. So, even if the providers and the medical assistants use the web based version, you still have to maintain the desktop version for the front desk staff. The UI is totally different between the two systems, so you effectively have to train your staff on two different systems. Ridiculous.

8. Their entire development team and tech support team is in India. Consequently, we had to spend significant time fixing the kiosk application since literally every screen in the app had typos, grammatical mistakes and phrases thats imply didn't make sense. I screen capped them to have proof. They simply didn't understand why i couldn't use the kiosk app as it was delivered to me. This means they never even bothered to have one of their US based staff look at the product before it was released.

9. They wanted to change the pricing scheme in the middle of our contract due to legal issues they had in NY. So, they changed it in their favor without discussing it with me. Their financial analyst then used seasonal data, and ignored the peak season in doing so, to justify their new price. Had they been intellectually honest and used a full year of data, it would have altered their conclusion about what the new pricing scheme would have cost me. Dishonesty like that has no excuse.

10. Despite asking them if the price we would be paying for the software included everything as an RCM customer, and them replying yes, they then proceeded to charge me hundreds of dollars extra for each provider per year to use the escript controlled substance feature. So yet Another set of conversations resulted in a reduction in price for a period of time.

11. Can't even count the number of conversations I've had with tech support, their own billing dept, as well as their practice liaisons who knew nothing about urgent care. I want the year of my life I've spent with them on the phone back.

Brian C. Brian C.

Reviewed on 4/5/2017

eCW hates clinicians

My notes can be seen and read outside of a paper chart. Other than that, not much

Pros

Notes are typed, so they are legible.

Supposedly, the billing function is useful,however, my group does not use this.

Cons

-Very slow to startup, and uses a lot of resources on your desktop computer
-Too many clicks
-Too easy to make mistakes and lose work (where did my 5 paragraph note go?!)
-Not easy to customize
-eCW often generates medical errors
-interface is terrible--why can I only see 5 lines of typed text at a time? Why are there 5 buttons on a view that are all labeled the same thing? (No...use the "scan" button in the upper left,not the lower right)
--too many mandatory fields that are not relevant (I just want to see his past vitals...I don't want to enter a pain score right this second...)
--low quality document and photo uploads (I think that's a wound...but it's so pixelated)
--Easy to lose formatting in templates (if you click here, it's ok, but if you click over there, then all hell breaks loose)
--Anything that is not done in a billable visit has to be done in a telephone encounter
--E prescribe module is difficult to use and not consistent. (Sometimes you can type in a box, sometimes you have to click on a little number pad, the options for prescribing are in a weird order (alphabetical, ordinal), complex dosing, like a prednisone taper cannot be done.)

Gita A. Gita A.

Reviewed on 24/3/2021

Horrible customer service

Horrible !!!!
Please run away from this company.

Pros

Only scribing,
We had to add so many things and we spent so many days to make it work for us

Cons

Since we bought this software, whenever there is problems first you have to creat the ticket and someone calls you whenever they want!!!!!!!
Always system is disaster after update !!!!!!!people for Eclinical keep ignoring the issue and they cannot figure it out the problem and they start blaming your computer.I brought 3 different IT and all said problem is with ECLINICAL. We are dealing with patients, our office’s staff and our patients are suffering because irresponsible customer service and ignorant managers from Eclinical.
Please don’t buy this software , the only time they call you when they want to sell something to you!!!
Don’t let them scam you the way Eclinical’s people scammed us!!!
I have never written any reviews and I am easy and positive person. This review is true and result of the pain Eclinical causing our office after 2 months.
Horrible, Horrible Horrible Custemor service and you can never talk to any supervisor.
They keep you on hold and change their voice and pretending like supervisor.

Bob C. Bob C.

Reviewed on 29/5/2018

Great User friendly EMR & Billing software

Great product and very user friendly.

Pros

eClinical Works is a very user friendly electronic medical record and billing software that can be a great asset for any physician office no matter what the specialty.

Cons

The only issue that I have encountered when using this electronic medical record software is that there is a standard drop down "filing" system but you can always design your own should you not want all of the folders to drop documents into.

Scott I. Scott I.

Reviewed on 9/8/2021

Most awful product I’ve ever used

I’ve been in the medical practice, my own practice, for 20 years. We see 500 patients a day, and use their program as best we can. It is completely and totally worthless. You cannot manipulate the format of your notes, you cannot call customer service and get help. They have no idea how do use iPads. Literally, at the end of training, I asked the trainer if they were going to show me how do use the iPads. Flat out, they said to my face, we don’t know how to use those. They were the ones that told me to buy the iPad because they were iPad/cloud-based. These people are trash.

Pros

Most awful product I’ve ever used. There Is absolutely nothing about this project/product I like.

Cons

Customer service is atrocious. We call them, they call us back whenever. We put in tickets, they call us back whenever. This piece of junk has no ability to adjust templates/the way It’s scribes the note. If you would like to manipulate it at all, you better get a word-based program. They have no idea how to use iPads, we bought thousands and thousands of dollars of iPads, and they have no idea how to use them. They launch, most recently just a couple of days ago, apps that don’t work. And then they have no idea how to help you. This company is absolutely atrocious.

Tara T. Tara T.

Reviewed on 9/8/2018

Good EMR

Overall a good EMR/billing

Pros

User friendly and easy to train new employees on. The integrated fax makes putting documents into charts really easy. Employees can get pretty much everything done then I just need to look it over for accuracy and can sign off easily

Cons

Tech support can be a pain. They often call you back an hour later and can be difficult to understand

Susan S. Susan S.

Reviewed on 25/7/2018

Practice Manager

They need to simplify

Pros

It has potential to be great it has many features and can be helpful. It is only for large companies with many staff whom only do one job. Small companies do not benefit from this software

Cons

tech support is not there and they have to much going on with software and way to many clicks for doctors. They need to develop a way to fit small business.

Alyssa V. Alyssa V.

Reviewed on 5/12/2018

Not super inuitive

Pros

The featured I like most about eCW is the telephone encounters. It makes it very easy to document calls and quick interactions. I also like that you can timestamp your notes which is helpful when you're playing phone tag with a patient.

Cons

It looks like 8 different developers worked on this system. It can be very difficult to train staff on eCW because it seems like there are 3 different ways to get to each task and every time I'm in the system I find a new one. In my opinion, it's not a very intuitive system. I also find it very difficult to build and use templates. There is a lot of clicking needed to get where you're going.

Phuong N. Phuong N.
  • Used for 1+ year

Reviewed on 11/1/2018

Terrible, Poor problem management

Honestly, I dread being on the phone with their IT department. It can take several days for their IT to call back when your system is down or completely slowed. They also take no responsibility for minor glitches in the system. They say "well, it looks like we do not see it here" yet you reported it for 5 times, they still do not acknowledge that it's a problem or do anything to prevent it in the future. Their communication is also very poor. We use some ipads in our clinic, with the ipad upgrade, they did not inform us that it will disable many features of ECW and completely slow it down. When they were able to fix this problem, we were not notified of the changes either. Honestly, there's such terrible communication with this company. They outsource their calls to people that do not have clinical knowledge and it's frustrating to explain EVERY single step every single time. Their multiple clicks just to be able to complete a task is also extremely inefficient. There's just so many frustrating aspects of this system. MOST IMPORTANTLY, if you think they will transfer your old data over correctly. They are lying!!!!

Pros

It has the ability to send messages to patients by using voice features built into the system.

Cons

If your fax, progress note, or any problem occurs. It takes them weeks to fix. What is most frustrating is that their IT department does NOT try to resolve your problem but find excuses to close the case. Most of the time, I can't even understand what the engineer is saying. Mainly because they send me information that is almost entirely numbers, related to their system. Without having proper training, how would someone be able to understand that. What's even more frustrating is if you have problems with their interface with lab, they expect you to contact the lab company yourself and figure out what it is they need.

Reviewed on 28/9/2018

Popular EHR for Physician Practices

Overall, lots of functionality but slow and clunky - feel like it inhibits a provider from seeing lots of patients because of the burden of slowing down documentation.

Pros

Lots of features and ease of use
Good template creating method
Good overall functionality

Cons

Poor efficiency
Too many clicks
Poor customer service overall
Lots of downtime
Slow and clunky

Reviewed on 19/10/2018

eClinicalWorks

Not my favorite, as I had a hard time performing even the simplest of tasks.

Pros

This is another EMR system we use in one of our clinics. It has all you need for a patient chart and it's not too expensive, compared to other EMRs.

Cons

It's definitely one of my least favorites, as it is clunky and not too user-friendly. I had a hard time finding certain functions, and there's a lot of clicking involved to get one chart in. Customer support isn't great and training takes forever.

Gina N. Gina N.

Reviewed on 10/9/2018

Poorly developed product, poor support, nothing good to say

NOTHING !!!!! RUN LIKE HELL AS FAST AS YOU CAN IN ANOTHER DIRECTION.

Pros

The idea of web visits. Although it took several weeks and several support members to get it working.

Cons

the program was so compartmentalized...each individual only knew about their part. One would spend weeks troubleshoot an error to find out that another had not turned on the feature. The system is too complicated for those that programmed their parts! I then after approximately one year decided to transition to a more user friendly emr...this process was just as problematic. They sent a disc that was not in the format needed and then refused to change it and refused to allow the new emr company to access the emr. We were told to download it in the format ourselves...when we tried, we had been disabled from doing so. We called to gain access from the project manager...again on hold for 45 minutes. Still waiting for a call back. Note that they are expecting pay for this 5th world emr while we transition. These people have unfair business practices and have been fined and sued repeatedly by the Department of Justice. Now I'm being held hostage paying for a suboptimal emr that has done nothing but caused me grief.

Sara S. Sara S.

Reviewed on 13/8/2019

Pros and Cons

Pros

I love how easy it is to use! I started working in the medical field in 2014 and was completely green with the software. I had it down pat well before my 90 day orientation was up.

Cons

eCW has a tendency to suddenly crash, which is pretty inconvenient for a busy medical clinic.

Crystal F. Crystal F.

Reviewed on 17/10/2019

Eclinical works review

Overall experience is great this program is excellent for patent care and client dr relations

Pros

How convenient and easy the program is to to use I also liked at the shortcuts fir details for the dr

Cons

Lack of ability to work on
Multiple screens at a time such as if I was trying to input an issue with someone’s DEXA scan I would have to get out of the original note and write it on a piece of paper to remember it close that window and open a new one

Nicole W. Nicole W.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 24/1/2019

Pros

Easy to use, easy to make templates, easy to review labs and address messages and phone calls.

Cons

Assessment portion is missing key components (GYN)- could be the way my company has this set up as I am retail health and I know primary care offices also use this system.

Diane P. Diane P.

Reviewed on 12/4/2021

Eclinic

Easy to use & keep track of patients appointments

Pros

I work in a hospital & we use this software to inform patients of their upcoming appointments

Cons

Haven’t experienced any problems yet hopefully won’t have any because I really like this app

Lizanne W. Lizanne W.

Reviewed on 15/7/2019

TONS of features but poorly programmed.

7+ years using this software and it's been a battle all along. Then they create policies (such as, "You must be running on Windows 10 PRO - not the HOME version" THey use those policies to tell you it's not their problem when something gets screwed up (like their server being disconnected, or blocking you for security purposes ACCIDENTALLY!! They won't even look into the problems if they notice you are not on the PRO version of Windows ... despite that it works fine on every other computer in your office on the HOME version.

Pros

Lots of features
eRX
templates for Progress Notes

Cons

Poorly programmed (Frankenstein'd ... relies on other programs for many functions - which they don't tell you)
Many of their tech support people are incompetent and it can take days to get something repaired.
They NEVER take responsibility for their problems. It's always a battle.
Poor P2P support with non-ecw practices
MIPS Dashboard still not functioning as one would like despites many years of user feedback ... makes choosing quality measures difficult.

Randy B. Randy B.

Reviewed on 11/7/2017

We have been using ECW for about 5 years.

Overall performance is par with cost.

Pros

It's very inexpensive compared to other ehr companies. It is fragmented compared to other companies.

Cons

Support would be good if they could speak English. It is hard to understand what they are saying and equally hard for them to understand.