Deputy Reviews

About Deputy

Deputy is a cloud-based human resource management (HRM) solution that provides employee management and scheduling functionalities. Deputy's rostering application can calculate overtime and provide capabilities to schedule staff....

Browse Deputy Reviews

Glenda
Glenda

Reviewed on 28/10/2016

Excellent & Easy to Use Time Management System

Our experience with Deputy right from the very beginning has been nothing but fantastic. If you have any questions, they are answered, if you need help you can get it & it is also very cost effective.
We employ about 30 people & work in the Construction Industry. Due to the fact that there are many varied competencies involved in the type of works we do and there is also a number of different locations on any given day, rostering our staff used to be an absolute headache. Since implementing Deputy we have found this task to be completely trouble free. When we add our Employees to Deputy we input all of their relevant "Training" which includes competencies & site inductions which assists us tremendously when choosing who we can roster to the many different daily tasks we undertake. Our industry also requires that hours of work is reported of which is another feature Deputy is of tremendous value for. Not to mention the ease of actually paying our Employees each week via the connection with Xero.

Pros

The most helpful feature for us is the "Training" which allows us to know which of our Employees are qualified to undertake different tasks. It is also extremely handy when it comes to paying our wages - no more time sheets !! Once the Employees times have been approved which we try to do on a daily basis, it is just a matter of pushing the button & our payroll in Xero is ready to go. Also the "Scheduling" is wonderful & extremely easy to use.

Cons

The Android app doesn't provide as many features as the IPhone app.

Troy
Troy

Reviewed on 27/7/2019

Deputy is seriously like the sheriff that came in and cleaned up our employee scheduling...

We had employees staying clocked on after shifts milking the clock. We didn't notice it until it was time to run payroll. Now this tells me whenever someone stays on more than 5 minutes past their shift. Or clocks in more than 5 minutes early. 6 stores, 3 shifts a day, it really adds up quickly!

Pros

Easy to learn. As the person in charge I not only had to learn this product, but I had to train everyone else on this product. And not just train them, but sell them on why it was better than what we were using. Luckily, Deputy is so complete, it was easy. They haven't forgotten a single step.

Cons

I wish it synced with my Google calendar. Only thing missing.

Ryan
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 9/9/2020

Stay Away From Deputy!

Deputy worked fine for us for at least a year. Nothing special, but it integrated with our Gusto payroll and ServiceM8 CRM and that's what we needed. But about 5 weeks ago it lost the ability to calculate over time. If a man works 49 hours in a week, it exports it to Gusto now as 49 straight hours, instead of 40 straight and 9 OT. We have exchanged dozens of emails with Deputy and we only get a canned response back. They say they are looking at it, but we don't believe it. How difficult could it be to compute OT correctly for a time tracking app?!! We don't think there is anyone working there any longer, -just a shell sucking up the monthly fees for as long as possible before folding.

Pros

The integration with ServiceM8, which is why we chose Deputy

Cons

Customer service is horrendous, and the product is unreliable.

Time Tracker, QuickBooks Time, When I Work, Homebase and Paycor

Reasons for Choosing Deputy

Integrations

Integrations

Top Deputy Alternatives

Jessica
Jessica

Reviewed on 7/2/2023

Deputy solves scheduling and timesheet issues

As a company in a dynamic business, we use Deputy to track employee hours, breaks, meals, and vacation requests. It's convenient to set up a time. We make good use of the ability to choose from several locations as well as the News Feed. They like how simple it is to use.

Pros

User friendliness of the interface is high. It gives just enough information to make decisions, without overwhelming the reader with facts that are unrelated to the topic at hand.

Cons

The inflexibility of Deputy's design architecture means that users cannot alter the interface's appearance. It would be convenient if each user could customize their own color scheme and background image.

Heather
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 26/9/2022

Deputy Helped us to go Paperless

Since implementing deputy payroll is more accurate, we save at least 35 hours of manual labour per week and we use 65% less paper.

Pros

Ease of use and security for each member of staff. With the addition of the onboarding facility Deputy has become a vital part of our operation.

Cons

I wish the scheduling facility was easier to use on a mobile or tablet. As I spend most of my life on the move this would be perfect.

Time Tracker

Reasons for Switching to Deputy

Deputy customer service, cost, functionality and security features.
Victoria
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 21/12/2023

Deputy has been a lifesaver for managing my team's schedules and shifts. It's made my life so...

Pros

The shift scheduling and time tracking features are incredibly helpful and intuitive. It's also great for communication with my team.

Cons

I wish the reporting features were more customizable and easier to use. The interface can also be a bit overwhelming at first.

Edie
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 1/5/2022

Deputy Review!

Pros

What we like most about this software is the ease of clocking in and out and tracking our employees locations.

Cons

We like almost everything about Deputy besides how it and ADP integrate. We are still trying to figure out how to connect the two.

Marco

Reviewed on 25/5/2023

What a surprise!

It solved a really great problem for my company, since the program I was using before didn't help me to monitor the time clock.

Pros

Really easy to use it, friendly interface and great customer service.

Cons

That it doesn't remember the hours we set and if they're different from the ones programmed we can't do anything about it

Davide
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Reviewed on 27/5/2023

Great product!

Pros

I liked I could easily personalise the calendar and let it appear as I wanted and I could easily edit it by my phone

Cons

That it doesn't remember employee's hours, so we always need to correct the hours from the ones we have registered

Cesia
  • Industry: Online Media

Reviewed on 24/5/2023

Review for Deputy, by Plei

its being great, 10/10

Pros

I like that its easy to understand, its better than other tracking sites

Cons

theres 1 thing i can do on my phone but i can't do on my pc, that is selecting the specific days and times i want to copy for the following week

Grace
  • Industry: Publishing
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Reviewed on 18/2/2022

Rostering by AI

Definitely would recommend this for companies that have shift work. The fee is not that expensive especially if it replaces an admin or HR person toiling over complicated rosters for days on end.

Pros

I felt it was important that our company, or at least my department, moved into the 21st century. We had highly paid managers AND an admin person wasting an entire day or more doing a roster for 10-person teams each month. I tinkered around with it, putting in preferred shifts for each staffer, which busy days in the week we needed more staff, their off day preferences, the minimum amount of time between shifts, how many days a month some of the contract staff worked, etc, then let Deputy do its AI thing and automatically come up with a proposed roster.

You can run it a few times to come up with different schedules, if the first time doesn't look ideal. Then it can be exported IIRC (or copied and pasted) including to excel (because "that's how we do things here" — people were just more used to viewing their roster on a spreadsheet, sigh).

The best part is, once you set most of the parameters, subsequent rostering is a breeze. Users can log in to put in their own leave dates ahead of time. IIRC they can also request among each other to change shifts.

During the trial, tech support was super responsive and even helped customise the backend of my account to allow a certain permutation we needed.

Overall I really liked Deputy. Very regretfully, it was not adopted by my company. It didn't make it past my supervisor level as he felt that there would be management resistance to paying monthly for this service.

Cons

Nothing really. It took time to figure out what parameters had to be input because my test team's roster had 5 different shift types over 7 days a week, and different people had different preferences for their rosters. It wasn't impossible to set Deputy up for this, but it was not straightforward (nothing to do with Deputy).

It also seemed at first like Deputy was more set up for people to go in and grab the shifts they wanted. But I could ignore that and run the scheduler to get rosters done quite quickly after a while.

It could take a bit of time for the automated scheduler to do its thing. But still much faster and fewer errors than human effort.

Anthony
Anthony
  • Industry: Publishing

Reviewed on 27/1/2017

Reduce scheduling time impact on your business

We have over 170 staff in 6 regions nationally. We are looking to expand this to our international teams.
We operate event merchandising at venues all around the country, however, we cannot install fixed hardware to have our team clock on and off for their shifts.
The Deputy experience for our team created greater transparency and opened up a more robust communication culture.
We operate under 3 awards across the business based on location and our team can work in multiple locations, so we needed to develop a script to understand how all the awards needed to interact with each other. Thanks to the thorough API library we were able to completely customize scripts and reports to cut our timesheet approval experience to less than 1 hour on a Monday and the payroll team was able to free up 2 entire days from their week.
Our rostering team has been able to reduce the time working on roster production to 2 days and maintenance of the rosters has become a much more simple task - this can often be done in the app!
Deputy has allowed our business to scale without increasing our scheduling workload. We have expanded our operations team to focus on our business practices and service delivery and because Deputy is part of our team now we have far greater visibility than ever before without additional time invested.

Pros

No fixed hardware required
Scalability
News Feed has our team communicating more openly
Custom Reporting
Award Interpretation - Once scripts written (we run with 3 different awards)
App Experience
Quick Payroll/Timesheet Approvals

Cons

Integration of Enterprise Version with Basic Version - Particularly Locations do not pick up the same address fields.

Jenna
  • Industry: Veterinary

Reviewed on 12/1/2020

The Daily Users thoughts on this Time Sheet Tracker

Overall great feelings towards this product. It is easy to use. Makes sense to the new employees, makes keeping track of my time so much better.

Pros

I love the daily photos your staff have to take. I love that it flows so well with Gusto. I truly enjoy how easy it is to clock in and out on a daily basis. It has a very friendly user format. I love how easy it is to edit the time when I screw up and forget to clock back in after my break. I like how I can see who is working on what days. It helps with planning ahead with the schedule.

Cons

I truly get frustrated when it automatically adds your 30 min break if you did not take one. Sometimes it can be hard to get the picture taken to clock in and out. I have had to restart the device a few times, and when you are done for the day and need to get going, that can be very frustrating. It would be a nice feature to see when other staff are asking for time off, so I do not bother asking for that time off as well if I do not need to take that same time off.

Natalie
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Reviewed on 28/3/2019

Accessible and Easy Use

I can be on the go and document what I am doing and show that I am on location if needed. It helps me keep track of what clients I met when, and is especially helpful when writing reports and dates are needed.

Pros

I liked that my coworker who was blind could easily navigate the app using her iphone and text-to-speech. I also like that I can look back at dates and see I did that day, as well as my hours total count for the week. The hours total count is a change that I requested to the app and the updated showed in a reasonable amount of time. The design is easy to use with the iphone app, and I like that the categories can be designed to fit your business tasks for streamlined documentation of how much time is spent doing a certain task. Also, you can put notes to detail what you were doing during that time period which is crucial for staff that are changing tasks all day.

Cons

Sometimes the app will glitch when putting in an end time and after changing the end time from the current time it will default several times back to the current time instead of the end time you want.

Pauline
  • Industry: Human Resources

Reviewed on 19/5/2023

Deputy Review

Pros

The ease of scheduling and communicating with employees

Cons

Would like to be able to sort by last name, if need to print time cards can't sort by last name either.

Jagadeesan
  • Industry: Restaurants

Reviewed on 19/5/2023

Would recommend

Good

Pros

Ease of use and excellent scheduling and timeclock function

Cons

Extra cost for onboarding employees on top of license fee

Planday

Ease of use
Lara
  • Industry: Facilities Services

Reviewed on 10/10/2019

Couldn't survive without Deputy

As a company that provides rapid response (24/7) labour hire to Mines & Industrial clients, it is essential that we can advise staff of their shifts quickly & accurately. We can have up to 3 roster changes per day (for 22 staff) and are currently saving up to 11hrs per week in admin time just by adopting the rostering & timesheet features of Deputy. Couldn't survive without this program!

Pros

Easy to set-up with no costly IT service visits. Being a free app removes any hesitation by staff to adopt this software. Can immediately advise staff of last minute shift changes and they can advise of their availability to HR (preventing any clashes)

Cons

Don't seem to be able to approve timesheets from HR mobile phone app anymore.

• Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 23/4/2018

A+ Scheduling Software

Saves me time and hassle. Employees know how to use it quickly with little/no training.

Pros

Inexpensive, feature rich, and easy for me to export timesheets to our payroll provider, Gusto. It was easy to add our existing employees when we made the switch. Employees have no complaints using it for time off requests, unavailability or integrating with their calendar so they know when they're scheduled.

Cons

The manager side of the mobile app is lacking full access to make it easy to approve time off requests. Depending how I pull up the request from my phone sometimes it also shows the date as Christmas Eve from years in the past (like 2015). Hasn't been a big enough pain for me personally to be mad enough to contact them, though I should so they can tell me I'm dumb and using it wrong or fix it.

Raquel
  • Industry: Veterinary

Reviewed on 21/9/2020

Scheduling Software

Can be slow at times and glitchy. Overall good and easy to use when working properly.

Pros

Easy to search for shift by employee, Easy to make templates and load templates.

Cons

Cannot filter locations, can be slow to load, Supervisor notifications go to the wrong person.

Amy

Reviewed on 25/5/2023

Couldn't be without it

Deputy has been a huge asset for our company and has easied staff scheduling dramatically.

Pros

Staff scheduling is by far the hardest job in the company but deputy makes it a lot easier. The ability to copy weekly shifts, add and remove staff easily is great. Staff find it very easy to use, even those that aren't tech savvy.

Cons

There is no ability to set staff as sick from your mobile device. This is really frustrating when you are on-call and out and about.

Dale

Reviewed on 21/2/2020

The product messed up or payroll month after month

Horrible company! Their software cause issue after issue with our payroll. Employees getting paid the wrong amount. We never experience this with our previous provider. Alerted Deputy of the issue and requested a refund for the last month. They declined. The software was horrible and so was the customer service experience.

Pros

Reasonably price. It seemed easy to use.

Cons

The product messed up our payroll month after month. Need I say more?

Homebase

Homebase
Vlad
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 19/4/2017

Pretty good for a small business

I quite enjoy using this program and it has great features and flexibility that I need. The updates and the information sent to employees is quick and accurate. However I'm running the food trucks operation and some features cannot be customised, such as particular locations for every day events. But that's just a minor thing. Definitely worth using it.

Pros

Easy to use for a normal business operation. Very straightforward and clear.

Cons

The location notification doesnt work very well - when I sign in Deputy at the front door of the restaurant, it says I'm 500m away. Or when I have more than 10 events a week at various locations, the locations cannot be set independently. Also, it gets very messy to allocate 30 shifts to 10 different people at 5 locations.

Response from Deputy

Thanks for your awesome feedback Vlad! We love hearing success stories like yours! Never hesitate to reach out to our team for help in the future and happy scheduling.

- Team Deputy

Replied 27/4/2017
Albert
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Reviewed on 24/11/2022

The HR Software every Business Needs

The overall experience has been very positive to our business. This software has exceeded our expectations and we are happy that we chose Deputy. Its cost is also very reasonable.

Pros

As a business, we decided to implement Deputy software because we were finding it difficult to keep a track of time and attendance of employees. This problem started to be faced as we started growing and hence more employees started to be employed. Deputy has surely met our expectations with its extensive range of features we are now able to keep a proper track of all employees attendance as well as distributing tasks to them.

Cons

Apart from the fact that it may take a few time to get comfortable to using the software, we did not face any issues.

Amanda Josalene
Amanda Josalene

Reviewed on 11/3/2019

Excellent value for the money; works great with my business.

Overall, Deputy helped me to relieve stress that comes along with managing payrolls and attendance among a team of employees. I have been able to effectively organize all of my time-sheets without issue, and will continue to use Deputy for my business.

Pros

The price is excellent and you receive a quality, well-rounded software that allows you to effectively manage payroll and attendance sheets among employees. This took a lot of stress off my back as for a while I was doing everything manually, by hand, and then having to input all of this into a spreadsheet on my computer. Deputy helped make this process 1000x easier, and the price point didn't put even the slightest dent into our business's budget. Within Deputy, you can also use it as a platform to communicate with your employees as well, which is a perk if you need a software that allows you to do such as well.

Cons

I don't have any cons. Everything runs as it should!

• Industry: Restaurants

Reviewed on 4/12/2018

Deputy Is Perfect for Our Small Business

Pros

I like that the Deputy UI is really easy to navigate. There is a lot of information held in Deputy and it could easily be set up non-user friendly, but I find that I have no trouble navigating all of the different hierarchies of information to get to where I need to go. Our staff hasn't had any trouble signing up or jumping in with their schedules. I also really enjoy that it reminds people (and me) when they forget to clock in!

Cons

While I like that I get reminders that people forget to clock in, I often receive them after they've already clocked in, I wish I got a second notice that they in fact did clock in after receiving their notification. This may seem petty, but it can save some leg work (literally).