About Clio

Clio is a cloud-based legal practice management solution suitable for small to large law firms. The platform enables lawfirms and other businesses in the legal industry to track important deadlines, manage client cases and...

4.7

Browse Clio Reviews

1,369 of 1,368 reviews
Stephen

Reviewed on 6/7/2019

Fantastic Practice Management Solution

Pros

Clio's intuitive design is easy to use for anyone from the tech savy to the "how do I turn this thing on" person. They are constantly adding features and functionality to the software solution making the administrative side of practicing law much easier and less time consuming. Clio's support team is always quick to respond and is always friendly and helpful. The growing list of integrations is definite plus and gives us the ability to extend the already great functionality to the next level. And if you are into coding, you can always create a custom integration to suit your needs.

Cons

Really the only complaint I have about Clio is the reporting capabilities. While it has some great canned reports within the interface, there is no ability to customize reports to massage out information that would be useful to my practice. We make do, of course, but this has been my complaint for some time now. Last time I checked there was a pay integration that allowed for more robust reporting but adding yet another subscription isn't appealing when it would be relatively easy for Clio to add this capability to their platform.

Nicholas

Reviewed on 30/11/2022

Great CRM for Solo Practioner

Very satisfied. I have already recommended to other attorneys. I've been surprised to learn many in my area already have it!

Pros

I've had the program for about 1 month now. I'm still learning it but I am very satisfied with Clio. It is user-friendly. They are available for Customer Service, evening after hours. Finally, they have a plethora of videos to walk you through what you need to know. It's making my new practice very efficient!

Cons

I wish there were basic templates or automated documents available. As a new firm owner, there are a lot of forms needed for clients or case management. Having to create these documents are time consuming. Also, I wish there were automatic custom fields for opposing counsel. For those of us in litigation, it would expedite learning Clio if we did not have to create fields for opposing counsel(s).

CosmoLex and MyCase

Reasons for Switching to Clio

Initial consult with Clio was very impressive.
Myles

Reviewed on 3/1/2023

An honest review of CLIO

Pros

Our timekeepers find the system easy to use. It captures time efficiently. It does what you need a billing system to do. It does a good job with calendaring and basic case management.

Cons

No feature for tasks that repeat. Year after year, we have asked for this feature and year after year we have been told it was "coming." Seems that they are unable to actually solve this problem.Do NOT select their online payment option, if you have any institutional clients or any clients that prefer to pay by check, eCheck, or ACH. Your clients will be frustrated and Clio will take 2.8% of each payment as they direct all your clients to pay by credit card.

Top Clio Alternatives

Lori

Reviewed on 15/11/2022

One of the first users of Clio and still give five stars.

Overall experience has been fantastic, and I have no intentions of ever-changing software. I will retire using Clio. Clio, along with Clio Grow, has enabled us to develop a smooth process for evaluating potential new clients using an intake questionnaire and customizing a pipeline.

Pros

It's too difficult to describe what is best, I could not manage my practice without this software. It is incredibly user friendly and easy to learn. I use pretty much all aspects of the software on a daily basis and have been using it for more than 10 years. My practice has grown from just one attorney, me, to now four along with paralegals and clerks. Clio has made the growth seamless.

Cons

I don't have any complaints whatsoever. The software has been essential to my practice in all ways.

Time Tracker, CANVAS, Rocket Matter and Google Calendar

Reasons for Choosing Clio

I used these at other firms. When I opened up my own practice I chose to use Clio.

Time Tracker and Asana

Reasons for Switching to Clio

Price, options, versatility, tech support.
Gina

Reviewed on 6/12/2022

Clio - promising software

It is overall a good experience. With improvements and upgrades it will get better.

Pros

Easy to use and search for contacts, notes, and documents. Billing is also easy to use.

Cons

certain features from last law practice management software are not available. Unable to resolve a problem between Fastersuite and Clio when imputing daily time tickets.

Reviewed on 11/1/2023

Excellent software for end-users with minimal law experience

Clio Manage has become our tool of choice to navigate and manage our client's information, create and track documents, track billable time, pull reports, house templates, streamline billing, and manage calendaring all in one place. Customer service is *chef's kiss* - I am constantly engaging Live Chat for even the smallest issues or inquiries and the representatives are always kind, knowledgeable and eager to help, even researching and suggesting solutions.

Pros

Clio Manage is easy to use. I have trained 5+ entry-level employees on the software and have not had a problem with comprehension or navigation. The anticipatory design, options to customize fields and reports, and having all of our data in one place has streamlined our workflows and made us a more efficient firm.

Cons

Clio Launcher is not consistent for us. With any software, there are bugs but none have caused us downtime or loss of data. It is a bit pricey for our firm.

MyCase and Smokeball

Function, price, expansive product
Mindy

Reviewed on 16/12/2022

Clio has been a game-changer for my practice this year.

Clio has streamlined my practice, and made mobility of case files, information and note taking a breeze. Clio has also saved our office time by use of template forms and letters.

Pros

The easy use of the platform has made client and matter management seamless for our firm. The simple use of formatted templates, integration with apps such as Dropbox and google calendars have made tracking, document creation, and client management much easier.

Cons

As with any new software there is a steep learning curve. Clio did help with some integration of case information, but the creation of templates, custom fields, etc. has been an ongoing project. I would love to see more customization for client names (for example: a couple with two last names), ease for duplication of invoiced time for two matters that share identical information, and ability to add next court date/meeting dates, etc. right into notes box rather than having to do that separately.

MyCase

Reasons for Switching to Clio

Recommendations of others in my field.
Katie

Clio Advocate!

Pros

Clio ticks all the boxes I was looking for in a case management software solution. I need to have document templates, reporting, and automated billing. I also need a global search feature. Clio provides a platform that is approachable, user friendly, cloud-based, and really is a critical part of our daily practice.

Cons

I love that Clio is dedicated to improvement, advancement, and development, but when a new feature is rolled out without notice, it has been disruptive to our established workflows.

Reviewed on 17/12/2022

Wonderful product, service and tech help!

GREAT is genuinely a class firm with great folks that do a superior job every day and have rocked our world with spot-on technology and service.

Pros

Our firm is stronger and more profitable because of CLIO

Cons

It is costly. Ther ability to be more flexible with cost issues for new licenses and users for a smaller firm.

Niloufar

Reviewed on 16/12/2022

Reliable and easy to use

Pros

Easy access to case information, billing, and documents. Clio seamlessly integrates everything I need for my practice and case management.

Cons

It took a while to customized and setup fields and templates, but Clio has an excellent customer support to assist with customization.

Patrick

Reviewed on 21/4/2020

Clio, the best all purpose attorney software, bar none...

Outstanding experience with something for everyone just depending on one's level of interest and need.

Pros

Functionality is nearly universal while specially and jusisdiction costomization is great.
Easy law firm branding and pre sale marketing is brilliant.
Support is outstanding and the Premium Support even better for speedy, live agent help.
Cost is reasonable and many available plans on their menu of options.
Clio grows nicely with solid feature burstsoften free to it's users.
Excellent and often updated/enlarged mobile App across all usual platforms: Appke, Android, Windows...
Superior online instant pay clientbinvoucing, and client trust account requests
The wide assortment of excellent and Rock solid 3rd party software affiliations is very impresdive.

Cons

I was fortunate to have free help migrating my existing, Timeslips database compiled over many years but it ain't quite so free today...Also, I'm still not a fan of the communications tools for clients and othes not subscribed to Clio.

Stephen

Reviewed on 20/6/2019

Changed my practice

Pros

Clio has been a game changer for my practice. Before I would write my time on a sheet of paper (sometimes any paper within reach) and hope it got entered at some point before the end of the month. Now, I immediately enter my time either on my computer or iPhone. A phone call, client conversations, anytime I work on a file it immediately gets entered into Clio.
At the end of the month, Billing is a breeze. I am able to see all of my Billable Clients for the month and with a few clicks, they are all sent out by either email or Clio Connect. My clients can pay with their credit cards, and many times they have paid overnight before I even get to the office the next day. I remember when I first switched to Clio about 80% of my accounts receivable paid within the first week.
My clients also like the billing detail with separate time, attorneys, and expenses. I have been able to create custom invoices to comply with some of my government contracts, which require invoices to look a certain way.
We are also big fans on the integration with Office365. The software automatically creates a client folder on OneDrive when a new matter is opened. This has been a huge help in keeping everyone working on the same files and storing documents in the correct client folder. Also, the Outlook plugin has been great to keep all emails received and sent copied to the client's matter. I do not know how many times I have easily found an email related to a client matter.

Cons

I wish there was better integration with Infusionsoft (now Keap). There is a way to connect using third parties, but it would be nice to only enter client information once.

Tracy

Reviewed on 1/9/2019

Clio is a mixed bag

The worst is retainers. Without being able to customize my email message globally, I can't use the trust payment request. It just confuses clients. Did I say hours and hours and hours? I will say that their service is fabulous. However, they keep making new abilities that to me are inconsequential compared with retainers. Oh, and not having global text snippets? How hard can that be? I have to go to 8 different users if I add something. Really a waste of time. Fix the real stuff. Then add bells and whistles.

Pros

I love that billing is so much easier, that my team can enter time remotely.

Cons

Clio was not developed by any sort of accountant. The reports are lacking, you can't memorize reports, everything within the software isn't consistent (like using the term everyone one place and all users in another place). The reports are inconsistent with what you can filter by on each report. There are still things where my account names are redundant - like Johnson - Divorce: Divorce. The biggest gripe I have is about replenishing retainers. The retainer replenishments don't get printed on the bill - I know it is because clio payments won't let you make a combined trust/legal fee payment, but they could have one link for anything owed and another link if a replenishment is due. Really - we webt to the moon 50 years ago but we can't figure this out? I spend hours and hours dealing with contacting clients to replenish. Also, way you enter into clio is clunky. I have to pick up my mouse all the time. It needs to be more like quickbooks entry. You never have to pick up your mouse.

Lindsay

Reviewed on 21/7/2020

Great software and user friendly!

My overall experience has been great! They are always making sure to take the next step in integrations and constantly keep their software up to date and secure.

Pros

I liked how the IT team literally walked me through the entire set-up/integration. To be 100% honest, they recovered & transferred my crashed billing entries from Timeslips into their system. There are so many positives re: Clio software that I cannot pick what I like most; however, the Quick Bill & Payment Plan features are very convenient. Oh, I can't write a review and not mention the LawPay integration. That is also a great feature!

Cons

I hate when I am asked for instructions on setting up their client portal because I have no instructions to give them. I wish Clio had a .pdf that I could hand to every new client. I also wish there were more options re: billing history printouts for the Court. This is VERY important when asking for ATTY fees.

PracticePanther Legal Software

Reasons for Choosing Clio

Timeslips crashed and they would not help me unless I upgraded.

Sage Timeslips

Reasons for Switching to Clio

I chose Clio because of the support team.
Jane

Reviewed on 13/4/2022

A great billing software for my increasingly virtual legal practice

Good software! I find it an indispensable part of my practice these days.

Pros

Our firm had used Timeslips for timekeeping and billing in the past before switching to Clio a few years ago. Timeslips was simply outdated and cumbersome, not to mention that we had no tech support. After having switched to using Clio, I was able to use the software to email clients directly and have the emails come from our firm email account via Clio without always having to involve the office manager for billing my invoices. If the clients have questions, they will know to direct their questions to the office manager, who is otherwise in charge of general accounting matters. Additionally, I love that I can always reach out to Clio's tech support for answers as to user issues or questions, and the services have always been pretty prompt and spot-on.

Cons

I remember there were some data migration issues when we transitioned from Timeslips to Clio. It has been a while, but I recall that at least some of the client data like their addresses didn't look quite right when it was pulled over, and I basically had to start over with entering the information in Clio.

Lucy

Reviewed on 19/8/2019

Solo Attorney Highly Recommends Clio

Clio has made me much more organized and efficient. My billing process is easier and smoother and I keep better track of accounts receivable. Much easier to track the progress of a file and leads. It is easy to share documents and communications securely with clients

Pros

Clio software is comprehensive and covers everything that I need as a solo attorney to keep my practice running smoothly and efficiently. Clio Grow is a new feature that helps me track leads, lead sources, the intake process, etc. It is very comprehensive and is easily merged with Clio Manage. The Clio help desk is excellent. Answers are always spot on. If they cannot fix my problem, they will honestly tell me that Clio does not have the capability that I'm looking for and they will offer to submit a request for that capability to be considered in the future. Clio is always looking to address customer needs.

Cons

Does not have all of the capabilities that I need but has most of them. Sometimes the queue for the help desk/chat is rather long.

Reviewed on 1/4/2021

Great comprehensive practice management solution for lawyers

After almost a year with Clio I can safely say I'm happy with my purchase.

Pros

The integration with Quickbooks Online is clutch. While there are still some additional functionalities I would build into it, I love that a transaction in Clio creates a journal entry in QB that I can then link to a bank transaction. Makes bookkeeping way easier.

Cons

I wish that a client could access Clio for Clients and Clio Connect at the same time.

Douglas

Reviewed on 8/10/2019

Don't do it without Clio

Pros

Clio is the best practice management system out there. It will allow you and your team to be productive and efficient from wherever you practice - at home, in the office, or out of a hotel room while you're taking depositions in another state. It has all the features you need for a successful and robust practice.

Cons

Document management continues to get better but still lags behind other document management platforms like Box or Dropbox. That's okay though because Clio integrates with other technologies and platforms so that you can continue to use the ones you like and still work seamlessly within Clio.

Christopher

Reviewed on 21/11/2019

A good product, getting better all the time

My overall experience with CLIO has been very positive. Having a system that tracks my cases, especially my time management, has been essential. While I don't love the algorithm used in the metrics, as opposed to just showing me what I have done and earned in whole minutes and dollars, having those metrics lets me see how close I am to meeting my goals. And the billing software is incredible and easy to use.

Most of all, I like that the CLIO team seems to understand that there is always room for improvement and is asking its customers and users for feedback, and actually makes improvements. I have been using CLIO for only a year, and CLIO has had two significant improvements in that time, both that were in my view positive adjustments of an already good product. CLIO is some monolithic and static program that you have to take as it is; it continues to grow and improve with user input.

Pros

CLIO does all of the basic things that a lawyer needs a case management software system to do - keeps track of clients, cases, related persons, keeps a calendar of events, even does billing in all the ways a lawyer bills a client. I especially like the document generation software, which allows our firm to efficiently create a large number of similar documents, motions, and other pleadings for our cases. Finally, I appreciate CLIO's ability to customize fields for contacts and matters.

Cons

CLIO is missing some things that I took for granted in other software, the biggest being warning the user when a scheduling conflict occurs on the calendar. For a busy litigation practice that spans several counties in my state, having a automatic conflict warning when I am scheduling would be extremely helpful in ensuring I am never double-booked.

One of the things I hope CLIO will consider improving in the future is making their document templates able to be organized or with a search function. As an attorney who works in criminal court, family, court probate court, and civil court, I generate a lot of different documents, and its always a chore going through the list to find the one I need. Even organizing documents by category, which CLIO also permits users to customize as needed, would be an improvement in efficiency.

A final thought for improving CLIO would be in the Contacts system, adding a checkbox to permit the use of a work address and other contact information for the contact, both when creating a contact from scratch, or when adding a new contact under a Matter as a related person. Right now, whenever I add a new police officer in my criminal defense cases, even though I have their police department in my contacts, I have to type out the address, phone number, website, etc. in the new officer's contact. A checkbox would save me a great deal of time, or just add the employer contact information as the contact's work addresses as a default.

Candace

Reviewed on 16/3/2018

I have been so impressed with Clio. There is so much it can do and the customer service is...

There are too many to mention. I was only looking for conflict management software and didn't know if I needed a case management software because I am a solo attorney that is just starting out. It turns out that Clio does so much more. The timer feature lets you track work on different matters and easily switch to a different matter when a phone rings or interruption happens. You don't lost time. The billing is clean, neat and easy. After that you can move on to so many other options -- document automation, cloud storage, phone logs, email logs, quick and easy email drop. I have been here less than a year and I wouldn't switch. I am so pleased with Clio and how it makes the business end of practicing so much easier.

Pros

What is best? There is so much. The Dashboard (to see instantly how the I am doing, and for each client so I can see how much time and billing has occurred on each matter and easily find the information I need); Time keeping, invoicing, secured email, email drop (to easily put emails into client matters in Clio and free up inbox space, ) and DOCUMENT TEMPLATES with Custom Fields -- I have automated my engagement letter, a basic client letter, will forms, POAs, etc. It saves so much time. To write a letter and not have to look up an address or block/copy it is so nice. You generate the document and edit to start typing the body right away. It requires work on the front end but in the end it is worth it. Also, the customer service being one click on a chat icon away is great. They are so friendly and talked me through invoicing each month for the first few months.

Cons

The customer service and training videos are great but sometimes it feels like an Easter egg hunt to find out what all it can do. I spent the first 8 months just keeping time and doing invoicing. I knew it did other things but wasn't sure what and how. Once I started digging around I have been amazed at what all I have found. It has saved so much time and made things for a solo attorney so much easier. I am sold.

Amber

Reviewed on 24/6/2016

Simple, flexible and user-friendly

Right from the outset I have found the support at Clio to be fantastically helpful. It's a big decision working out which product is right for your particular business. Clio, as you expect from most companies in the beginning, were great at informing us what Clio could do and answering our initial questions. However, what I am really impressed about it the continued support from Clio. It does not matter who you speak to, they are friendly, knowledgeable and will do all they can to help you. And if they don't know, which is rare, they will find out and get back to you. And they do get back to you! Plus every phone call is followed up with an email. With regard to the product itself, it is pretty easy to use. Most things are quite logical and therefore you can work it out fairly simply. I am of the view that no product is perfect as every business will have different requirements. In the case of Clio, there are a few very minor things we would like to see available. Clio are continuously developing and improving the product and, I think, everything we have enquired about that is not already a function of Clio, is in the pipeline. However, it is still great for us as it is but we always strive for perfection!

Pros

I love the simplicity and flexibility of Clio. It is very user friendly and the way it looks is very neat. It does not take long to work out exactly what you are looking at and what it all means. For me personally, I do a lot of billing and compared with a previous software package, Clio has saved me a lot of time and it's really easy to keep track of where you are as it automatically incorporates a workflow. Also, setting up new cases is easy and flexible. You are easily able to incorporate your own requirements and information.

Cons

This is quite specific but for us, the biggest drawback is not being able to present the invoice in exactly the way we want (i.e. a front cover summary of figures without the time description wording). There is a lot of flexibility on the invoices which is great but the one thing we can't do is take the wording away from the first page. Our company like to keep the first page of the invoice very simple and clear and then have the narrative on the following pages. We understand, however, that this is being developed by Clio and should be rolled out some time in the next couple of months or so.

Alicia

Reviewed on 29/8/2019

Best in Class for Small Firms

In addition to what I wrote above, Clio Management's customer service and technical support are​ great. They are still working out the kinks on the Clio Grow side after acquiring Lexicata (which I also used and was happy to see integrated). I am excited to see what improvements they have in connecting up the two systems.

Pros

I've been using Clio since 2010. I have tried other software over the years. I also originally had to use other software that integrated with Clio, but slowly have been able to reduce subscriptions as Clio built out features. Clio is the best in class, affordable, and the software around which I ultimately chose to build all my systems. I like that Clio allows me to manage the entire client file, including documents and emails, bills, and file shares, all within a single integrated system. Less software is cheaper, easier to manage, helps me capture details, and requires less employee training and management.

Cons

Clio still has some features and kinks to work out. Not everything is intuitive. Its plugin with Outlook is a little slow and I don't like that it strips the attachments from emails when placing them in the file. There still isn't enough flexibility in fee arrangements. It could improve the marketing side quite a bit. And I wish you could edit billing entries in bulk a little easier (especially if you made a mistake in one edit, it doesn't save and you lose ALL your edits -- super annoying). That said, all of these bugs and annoyances get addressed by Clio over time. They continually improve and grow the software. So I don't feel that there are any fatal flaws; just quirks that you learn to work around​.

Gary

Reviewed on 4/9/2018

Clio Is The Best

I have not had a single issue with Clio. I have used it now for three years. My bills look sharp and the time/activity record keeping is flawless, which helps when I have to push to get paid. The trust accounting is redundant and airtight. I am looking forward to developing my practice and I know that Clio is expanding its range of functions at a rate faster than any of my needs. Clio is leading the industry in coordinating with third party vendors (Lawpay, Outlook etc) to make Clio even more functional and efficient.

Pros

There is much to like about Clio. Their customer support is first rate and comprehensive. For example, learning to manage trust accounting and the creation of regular client invoices are critical and time sensitive activities. During my first year with Clio, I would call customer service at the end of each month as I encountered small mistakes I made in billing or accounting. Clio was always there willing to patiently walk me through my steps to help me fix my errors. The billing and accounting features are redundant and it is almost impossible to make a mistake that cannot be fixed. Time entry is simple and efficient.

Cons

I love the ease of use with respect to creating bills and managing trust accounting. On a different level, I have confidence that Clio is on the cutting edge of technology and software developments. As is evidenced by their annual conference, Clio is a leader in the industry. My investment in time learning this platform will continue to pay dividends as I mature as a solo practitioner. I am a veteran litigator but I recently opened my own practice. Clio has been the one indispensable tool to my new practice.

Steven

Reviewed on 16/9/2019

Very Satisfied

Very satisfied; excellent product.

Pros

Easy to use -- calendaring, opening new matters, time entries, notes, billing. I like the interface, the way it looks. Program includes trust accounting. Can include/integrate credit card billing as an option which I did, and works well. Have used Law Pay for a while and it integrates through Clio. Send out invoices through Clio, client can click on button to make credit card payment, and have option to have program automatically apply to open invoices when payment comes in -- get email notifications of payments. Very satisfied with the program -- does what I need and enjoy using.

Cons

I don't think it's a negative factor, but don't use the mobile app much, for whatever that means. Tend to just check my iphone calendar (I use Office 365 to integrate, other options also I think like Google to integrate -- Clio integrates with Office 365 and iphone calendar will show Office and Google calendar events). There is a new beta version of the mobile app available for use that looked at today and I like -- I could see using that to make entries if I need while out of the office, but usually just do all of that at my computer in the office.

Owen

Reviewed on 14/4/2017

Fantastic value, modern software, steadily improving features

I've been using Clio since 2011 to help me run my solo practice. I use it primarily for calendaring , time tracking, and billing. Those features are fantastic. Almost all of my billable time is calendared, and Clio lets me add time right to those events and assign it to a matter right from the calendar. I cut my administrative time to bill clients by 40% the first time I used Clio, and it's now down roughly 90%.

I love that Clio lets me use third-party software with it rather than forcing users to rely on less convenient built-in solutions. For instance, Clio creates a folder for each client and matter for me in Box.com where I can work on my clients' documents using the rich feature set of Box. Clio Documents is okay for sharing with Clients, but there's no way they could replicate Box.

There are two things I really wish Clio would improve. First is the ability to natively support joint representation. I do some consumer bankruptcy work, and many of my cases are joint petitions. The Clio solution is to add one of the joint parties as a 'related party'. Strictly speaking, this is not a related party, but my actual client. I can note the relationship type, so it works okay for conflict checks, but I'd rather the software reflect the real legal relationship.

The other has to do with transaction tracking and integration with bookkeeping software. Maybe I just need to learn how to do this better, but I end up doing double work in Clio and Quickbooks for expenses and trust accounting. Bills and payments integrate, but the details, which are important for accounting disclosures, are manual in Clio.

All in all, Clio continues to be the best option for me. I'm very mobile, so a SaaS/Cloud solution is absolutely required. The features were very basic when I started using it, but the folks at Clio are constantly releasing new functionality, improving existing functionality, and integrating new useful apps. Oh yeah, I'm a bit of a tech geek, so having access to an open API is extremely tempting to me. I've done one integration with Zapier, and I have some ideas for other things I might do directly with the API.

Highly recommended.

Pros

SaaS platform, integrations with useful software like Box.com and NextChapter (bankruptcy service), comprehensive workflow features

Cons

Detailed expense accounting is cumbersome, joint representation is not natively supported