Slack Reviews

4.7

4.7

About Slack

Slack is a cloud-based project collaboration and team interaction tool designed to facilitate communication across organizations. The solution caters to various industries, including media, research, technology, education,...

Browse Slack Reviews

23,182 of 23,182 reviews
Frankline
Frankline
  • Industry: Banking

Reviewed on 31/10/2020

PERFECT BRIDGE BETWEEN AGENCY AND WORKERS

Slack qualifies to be the best collaboration tool of our generation with users navigating the app with quite a lot of ease. The experience at large is very positive and with such competitive prices, indeed there lies infinite potential with slack. It offers several intergrations iclusive of outlook and zoom among other essential plugins.

Pros

As a messenger app, the basic functions enabling communications are on a perfect edge with a simple, precise interface very easy to navigate. The search option comes in as a plus as you are able to trace your target messaage on a long thread with simple typing of words on the search bar. With slack, we are able to share files with quite a lot of ease and now with the IRC style, we can separate the conversation threads in the presence of multiple members in a team to set up off-topic discussions.

Cons

When sharing your screen with another team or individual, you have to go back to the initial chat to send a message, I would prefer this being done from the same UI of the screen-share. Also the limitation to the number of users attending a video conference does not confer with large organisations such as ours.

Renu

Reviewed on 8/1/2024

Best For Team Collaboration!!

We use it on a daily basis to collaborate with our team, communicating tasks, stories, project details, and engaging in both formal and casual communication.

Pros

The Huddle feature allows us to swiftly connect with our team, share screens, and effortlessly resolve issues. It stands out as the most useful and impressive feature there.

Cons

There's nothing to dislike; it offers a plethora of useful features.

Jon

Reviewed on 9/7/2020

Slack is essentially advanced texting for business users

I started using Slack because my client required it. I find that it cuts down on my email dependence but I'm often frustrated when attempting to compose a message without standard elements such as tables, inline images, etcetrera.

Pros

I like the ability to stay in touch with our users via whatever device I'm currently using. For example, I can respond from my home computer, tablet, work computer or via my phone.

I especially like the ability to be notified of a new message via my phone where I can read the message on the phone but can step over to my laptop to reply.

I also appreciate the ability to add an email thread to a Slack Channel by simply adding a slack email address (each channel has a unique email address) to the CC field when I reply.

Cons

The biggest con for me is the extremely limited amount of formatting available to Slack messages. I can make a font bold and add links to files/images but I really miss the rich text features many similar apps provide.

It's also frustrating to need to keep typing adding the user name(s) when I'm responding to a message. I'm assuming that this is by design but it would really be nice to be able to "Reply All" to a conversation thread.

The desktop Slack application (running on Windows 10 Pro) has a "clunky" feel to it. It's written with a framework that allows the Slack developers to write HTML and JavaScript code that is essentially compiled into a Windows application and it definitely shows. Something as simple as selecting text is counter-intuitive (until you realize that it's essentially a web page mascaraing as a Windows application.

Top Slack Alternatives

Reviewed on 12/11/2023

I LOVE Threads and Apps. Slackbot is my new best friend

Overall, absolutely love it. I have always been a preacher of adopting Slack at workplace

Pros

I love the threads - they way collaborative messaging is arranged. Easy to manage and track in the future. I also love apps and slack bot to automate some stuff and communications

Cons

I feel it is a bit pricey for smaller size teams.

Microsoft Teams

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Slack is any day much easier to use with all types of tools and products like GSuite, Google calendar etc.
Zain
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Reviewed on 10/1/2024

Communication Tool

Pros

Best part is the communication with team at Multiple locations. Multiple channels can be easily handled and can set multiple meetings. All the separate workspace for various tasks make it very versatile for employees.

Cons

One normal analysis clients have raised about Slack incorporates the potential for data over-burden. In enormous groups or dynamic channels, the steady stream of messages can be overpowering, and a few clients find it trying to successfully oversee or channel the notices. Furthermore, for certain clients, the expense related with premium elements can be a disadvantage.

Sierra
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 13/2/2024

Communication without Project Management

Pros

Slack makes it easy to communicate internally on the fly.

Cons

Communication is difficult to tether to specific tasks and projects without setting up integrations, and even then, it's just easier to use the project management tool.

Gauthier
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 21/2/2024

Useful tool for remote teams

Pros

Easy to use. Can create lot of channels to organize communications.

Cons

The hudle tool ( call between members) are not super efficient. We often have to switch to Google meet instead.

Lana

Reviewed on 23/1/2024

good communicator

I use to slack daily. it helps me for work productively.

Pros

I love slack. it helps me for hard-working. Slack is easy to use, also it is so comfortable for chatting

Cons

I don't like slack, when the program is working so slowly.

Swati
  • Industry: Banking

Reviewed on 2/1/2024

Slack Review

Pros

Slack is easy to use, interface is streamlined and ideal for business communication. we can use different channels and communicate with different team members.
Mobile version is also fast and easily accessible.

Cons

Slack is bit costlier than other applications.

Jomon
Jomon

Reviewed on 13/2/2024

Easy to communicate to the team

Pros

So flexible easy to communicate, share clips etc.

Cons

Slack is bit more expensive than others.

Heshani
Heshani

Reviewed on 26/9/2019

Slack the best team communication software ever

We use slack in our office as the main communication app. We can connect with our overseas clients through slack so easily. As we can share rich media, we have everything in a single thread. And we have the ability to reply to the each message in the thread. Also we can delete unwanted messages. The best thing is we have set reminders for important tasks. So the overall experience is really nice and I am thankful to the slack developers.

Pros

We can create channels for separate projects and same time me can send direct messages for each other company members.
We can share texts, images,videos, audios, gif files and any rich media with others
We can set reminders for our work and slack bit is going to remind us our work
We can integrate other software like Skype, Hangouts,Gmail and many applications to slack, so that we can receive all the notifications through slack.
We have search options, so that we can search for previous texts we sent someone or in a certain channel.
Also there is an option to switch the do not disturb mode on. In that time we are not getting notifications.
We can easily use the web, desktop and mobile application so we can access chat via any device.
Considering all the matters I love this app.

Cons

I experienced some issues while getting voice calls.
Also it saves a limited number of lines in each chat thread. So we can not reference our earliest messages in threads.
These are the only issues I have experienced. But these are not that strong reasons to not to use this app.

Workplace from Meta and Google Meet

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Slack is a combination of all of these products. Also for office communication this suits the most as the target market of the other applications are not the office people. We use workplace for highly technical project management tasks. Skype and Hangouts are embeddable for slack. So for an office , we thought the best option is Slack.
Nikki
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 12/12/2019

Great communcation software

Like I had said I really love Slack. It has made it easier to communtate with my team, share information and it actually brought us together!

Pros

I have used Slack for years now and was so excited when we started using it at my current workplace. We had tried to use other software but it never really took off as Slack has. It is super easy to use and has many different client versions. Everyone in the office can decide how they want to use it which is a hugeeeee plus! We use the free version which really is great for us. There is a limit to how many message Slack stores but this hasn't been a huge issue. You are able to create different channels which has been a great way to share important information that we have to reference and keep it organized. Slack has also brought our team together and gave us a new modern way to communicate. Also what I love is that you can really customize notifications,

Cons

I don't like how with my particular phone notifations can be delayed. It has caused a few issues where I have gotten messages 30 to 40 minutes later despite having good either wifi or ceular service. Otherwise no real issues with Slack!

Prince
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 25/8/2020

One of the Best Collab tools!

Overall the tool is used to communicate and share files amongst your own team as well as other teams which are external to yours. Its great for announcements or even details that you can pin to each individual or team chat. The channels allow you even finer controls over who can see it, participate, as well as the overall purpose. Its a superb tool for having each team create their own channels as well as special channels which can be used for announcements, heads up, changes, basically anything you need to communicate across. It is everything you would expect in a collaboration tool.

Pros

Ease of use and the feature list is probably why this tool does so well. It even allows you to build custom apps that you can implement with your existing apps/tools for a more streamlines experience! Its honestly made life a lot easier to collaborate amongst team members, especially during Corona times and working from home.

Cons

There really isn't much about this tool that I don't like. It runs smoothly and constantly has new updates to make the experience even better. The only thing I can think of is that it can be resource intensive at times but honestly it has not slowed me down yet. Also, when sharing your screen with another team or individual, you have to go back to the initial chat to send a message, it would be nice if it can be done from the same UI of the screen-share. Well made tool overall!

Ghazal
Ghazal
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Reviewed on 15/5/2022

New Age Communication Tool

Good, good, gooood. Thanks to Slack that enabled us to improve our communication and achieve our set goals. Instead of email, we communicate through Slack and it gets a better result.

Pros

I like the cool features and amazing functionality of Slack. It makes file sharing, meetings, and team collaboration so easy that anybody can do it without putting much effort. Since we started using Slack, we have shifted almost all of our daily communication to this one-in-solution. Our team members always get in touch with each other using the real-time chat feature. We have created different channels for different teams that helps us manage the work in a more organized way. File sharing is a big part of our work routine and Slack does it professionally. Integration with other applications such as Google Drive and Dropbox is another added feature. I have the PC version and also installed the phone application that helps me keep in contact with the team so effortlessly.

Cons

The contacts tab design can use some improvement. It's all cramped up. The drop-down arrows with the channel sometimes hide the contacts and that really annoys me. I wish there was a different user interface with more ease of use.

• Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Reviewed on 11/8/2022

Community Management for Non-Profit organizing

Setting up Slack was quite easy once we received a non-profit grant for the standard license. Some people had to be taught in detail but the transition was overall fluid and is now universally considered a smart move.

Pros

Slack enables structured communication within and across working groups (protest planning, tech, outreach, lobbying, etc.). Having access to all relevant streams of communication in one place (that isn't the personal messenging app) is crucial to maintain any semblance of structure.

Cons

It took some time to figure out proper ways to handle our most common workflows with or without bots and integrations (eg. voting, scheduling). Integration with our knowledge base app, Nuclino, remains barely functioning.

Rocket.Chat, Mattermost and Microsoft Teams

Reasons for Choosing Slack

Managing an organizing group with up to 100 members at a time in 20 telegram groups quickly becomes unwieldy to untenable. Having personal communication and organizing intertwined in such a way, not being able to switch it off, was also bad for our mental health.

Telegram

Reasons for Switching to Slack

We couldn't set up a server to run mattermost in a realistic time frame
Ilan
Ilan
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Reviewed on 1/9/2022

Slack Review

Slack has been a go-to team meeting and chat platform at different positions and also during communal club spaces for organizations, such as the graphic design organization AIGA, which I frequent within my local design community. I haven't had any major issues with it thus far ans can easily recommend it. Being a business-focused chat space it also does not have silly loading messages like Discord which I've also used and which also worked well, but felt a bit unprofessional at times.

Pros

Slack is an easy to navigate, light on hardware platform to facilitate teamwork. You won't need a top of the line computer to run it so even in remote work conditions you will reliably have it available. There are not excessive features to get lost in or particular issues finding your team meetings constantly, a code to the overall Slack channel is sufficent.

As opposed to other productsused for video conferences such as Zoom, everything is built in on Slack for "one stop shopping" using the program. It allows for image uploads and other useful tools such as split channels for specific tasks like designating a set of crew members to a task in a server,

Cons

The user interface is readable but slightly bland with the entire white color scheme. It's not strictly necessary but it can be difficult to only look at that color scheme for when you use it, other programs like Discord have variability.

Wiktor

Reviewed on 18/6/2023

Slack as a virtual Workspace

Overall it is excellent tool for communication. I did not explore more complicated features yes, but so far, on the basic level, the functionalities are flawless, and, most importantly, it is easy to deply, easy to learn. Some of my employee are not technologically savy, dont like learning new apps of softwares, but Slack was implemented practically without problems. I tried the pro version, but for my needs it did not differ from the basic plan.

Pros

I moved all my communication, file sharing, project managing, discussions inside my organisation to Slack. It was motivated by the price, accessibility, ease of deployment, and great, impactfull features like threads in communications and bookmarks for file sharing. Real time synchornization also played a big part of my decision. I check about 10-12 different software before deciding on Slack and it was one of the best decision for my workflow.

Cons

Some of my employee complains about temporally losing access to Slack, but I personally never experienced something like that. Nevertheless it can be frustrating, when all my communication is done by Slack and some employee can't log in.

Workplace from Meta, Zoom and Hive

Reasons for Choosing Slack

Firstly, price. Secondly i had a lot of problems with Teams - with functionality, acess, deployment, implementation, integration. Searching through conversation in teams was painfull, and file sharing was a disaster.

Microsoft Teams

Reasons for Switching to Slack

I needed something that will be easy to learn for my employees. I have frequent rotation of employees and i dont have time to teach new employees a software. For me software must be self-understood, intuitive. And Slack is exactly that. I consider this its biggest advantage - after installing Slack all my employees intuitively know what to do, what to click. Price also played a role, but not first and foremost.
Eduardo
Eduardo

Reviewed on 25/10/2018

Slack is very useful... Specially if you pay!

I think Slack is very good for team communication, though not "the only answer". I say this because, for example, it isn't the most appropriate tool to handle team wide calls.

It's worth to pay for it if you need to access your history files and conversations.

Pros

I really like the way Slack enables team communication. I have used Slack in both paid/free versions.

I used the free version (limited storage for conversations and files) in a 40 people co-located team. It was very good for short interactions and immediate file sharing. We had a link with Jira, so we were always seeing issues being updated and such. Previously, we had Trello and it work very good too.

I currently use the paid version in a remote team and it's our day to day communication means. We have linked GitHub to have a "center monitor" for created issues, pull requests, etc. Also, all of the alerts, regarding website functionality/life are connected in real-time to Slack, so we never miss an alert.

It's very useful to have the paid version as it holds the whole conversation and file history. It's very easy to use the search function to find my own files or even things that were discussed in conversations.

Cons

After a while (or update, I'm not sure) using the free version, the storage of conversations and/or files didn't lasted much. So, if you had a conversation last week, forget about going back to that.

Also, in the free version it feels very much as if your files and conversations are held as hostages.

I think there are still some integrations that needed to be improved, for example, when I accidentally accepted to show previews of GitHub issues I couldn't find a way to turn it off (or an easy way, at least.)

Artem
Artem

Reviewed on 2/4/2019

The best solution if you don't want to bother choosing

For me, Slack is the best option available for team chats. It has some flaws, but no solution can replace it really. If you want your company conversations to be organized, and also to be fast and mobile, there is no better choice for me.

Pros

Slack is the best team chat software I ever seen. It works great on any platform, it looks cool and convenient, and you definitely should try it in your team or company if you never done this before.

Team discussions are organized in channels, while direct messages is also available. In our company we also heavily use other messages organization feature: threads, which is like having channels in channels. So, we usually post only one message in channel for one topic, and then all who want to participate in discussion goes to thread attached to this message. In this way, channels stays clean, and anybody who don't want to participate in this discussion gets only one notification ― from discussion start. I really can't understand why other team chats can't implement threads in the right way ― like Slack did.

In addition to the above, Slack has many features that helps organizing work. My lovest feature is posts, which is something between usual messages and documents. So, if you want to post something really big, what should be properly formatted with headers and so on, you can use post. And posts also has collaboration features, so it sometimes can replace Google Docs (integration with which is also included).

Cons

Slack is based on web technologies, which is great for portability, but on the other side Slack really not as responsive as I want. It still works fast enough for generic user, but I can clearly say it is not native application.

Any chat app can't live without files sharing. And while file sharing is available, I can't even say it is OK. While viewing images and photos works pretty normally most times, anything more complex works illy. I can't sometimes understand if file downloads or not, and when it comes to video playing -- oh, it works awful most times.

The last thing I should mention, but which can be the big one for somebody: Slack is cloud-hosted only. So, all data is saved on Slack servers, and there is no way to use your own server. Moreover, it also means that you are bound to Slack infrastructure and should pay for it if you want bigger history of messages and some other features.

Reviewed on 6/5/2019

Slack Public Channels improves company communication across teams.

It's a great tool, these are the key points for me:
* Improve team collaboration, shared information in a single place and all team has access to the same information.
* Reach people, sometimes you need to collaborate to make things happen, and slack does a great job at that.
* Integrate to CI/CD pipelines, we received notification about or system all time. It's better than having thousands of emails.

Pros

Public channels:
They are easy to create/configure and allow members of the company to share important information in a single place. This is really helpful for software development teams when important information is shared with other application it gets lost and there is no record of it. With the slack channel, the information is stored and can be used as references. (Developers don't have or we don't want to have time to write documentation).

1:1 Message:
What I really like is that is very easy to find people and ping them and start a conversion. Most important, you can share files, photos, URL, gifs (Very important), in a single place. Making collaboration easy and something to enjoy.

Integration:
Slack can be integrated with a lot of third parties. In my case, it's very useful to integrate with Jenkins and code versioning applications. We have implemented CI/CD and we received a slack notification with deploy information, testing information or if a system is down.

Cross-Platform:
Be able to access slack with cell-phone/desktop application is really awesome. If I don't have my computer at hand, I can keep replying messages and collaborate. Especially important when we have a critical bug, or we have to take action.

UX:
The UX is one of the best, you can start using slack with no training, it's very intuitive and easy to use. Once you start using it, you don't want to use other applications.

Cons

Conversion history:
Sometimes the conversion history is deleted after N amount of dates. Probably this is a configuration in my company, but I would like to store more information.

Re-Login:
Once in a while, you have to re-login, but what I don't like is that it logs you out without giving you a warning. It had happend before that the application logs me out, and I notice that one hour later.

Meisha
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 8/8/2019

Our Go-To Communication Channel

Great communication tool for teams and businesses—saves time and makes collaboration more efficient.

Pros

I switched from using Skype at my last company to using Slack, and boy was it an upgrade.

First and foremost, Slack is incredibly easy to learn and get used to. Once you're in there, it's easy to pick up on the nuances and other little hacks to make using the tool easier and more fun.

I love the SlackBot, which can help set reminders and integrates with other tools (ex: Google Drive) to send updates on any comments, changes, etc.

You can have group chats with up to 8 people, so organizing multiple conversations is relatively easy—though you cannot add someone to an existing chat/conversation, you'd have to set up a new chat with all parties.

One of the other great features is the file-sharing functionality, where you can easily send over files, images, etc. for review and feedback. It saves a lot of time and reduces email clogs.

Slack also offers a mobile app for on-the-go communication. It has been a bit buggy in the past (randomly stops working/shuts down) but has gotten better over time.

Cons

As with most products with a paid solution, the free version does have a few limitations. With the free version, you can only see the last 10,000 messages—which sounds like a lot, but it can be a pain when searching for something mentioned in the past that's no longer available.

And, not that this is necessarily a con, but it's important to be mindful of the information you share on Slack (or any other communication platform!). Admins can see everything that is shared and conversations can be requested for review.

Vanessa
Vanessa

Reviewed on 30/8/2019

Good tool for connecting remote employees

Overall, we use this tool as a team all day long and it works well for what we need. On occasion it "glitches," but that is rare.

Pros

Slack is easy to use, it is easy to chat in a group, set up special channels and have private chats. It does have a calling feature, with share-screen ability. I especially like that you can mute or change the sound features of each channel or group, and that you can pause all notifications for a period of time. It's easy to see when team members are on and available to talk, which is important as we have an all remote team.
Service is great with a Slack help feature that allows you to ask questions and get immediate help from Slackbot. Polly is a great tool for polling, very easy to use.

Cons

Slack can be glitchy at times, rarely, but it is irritating. It will show as if I am not on when I am. Other times I will miss comments because it just didn't notify me. This is not just me, but the entire team will have these issues on occasion. Again, it's rare, and a simple log out and back in are all that's needed to get it working again.
The calling feature is great in many ways, but there are times when the quality is not the greatest and we get disconnected. Again, rare; and it might not even be a Slack issue - maybe internet glitches?

• Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 17/11/2019

Robust Project Collaboration Tool

My team uses Slack to collaborate on web analytics, web apps and web design projects in an agile style of project management versus waterfall. So, we can make enhancements to analytics and design in an incremental fashion and avoid doing lots of changes in one big release. This ensures maximum development work done with less errors. Our overall experience with Slack has been smooth which results in completing more projects successfully to meet stakeholders' needs in less time and with less mistakes.

Pros

Slack offers channel creation capability which has helped my team collaborate efficiently on specific projects such as analytics. We are able to share questions and files around code changes for analytics enhancements. Once an update is about to be made to existing code, our developers can reach out to the business analyst and get more clarifications on his analytics requirements. Whenever there is a new notification sent within the analytics channel, the business analyst will receive an email update so he can respond right away. Other users of the analytics channel, can also jump into the conversation, if needed.

Cons

To get maximum benefit from Slack, I feel its users always need to have the Slack app open in their smart phone or laptop. Since I also use Gmail and Google Hangout to collaborate, it's challenging to respond to messages in Slack right away, when I am also chatting in Google Hangout or checking my emails in Gmail. If Slack can be integrated more seamlessly into Gmail as a chat window so I can see latest Slack messages within Gmail itself, it will make my office life more productive. I also feel Slack is meant for developers and project managers who have technical background and not for non-technical business users or managers. So, many business side users are left out of the Slack world and need another way to communicate with IT. It will be great if Slack tool is made more business friendly to increase adoption.

Yann
Yann
  • Industry: Online Media

Reviewed on 11/5/2021

THE digital tool for team communication

Pros

I think that, these days, Slack is among the most popular picks for teams that would like to work remotely, for instance.

So, through Slack, teams get a sort of a centralized digital hub where they can gather and exchange value and info.

I'm a fan of the ability, that nowadays, Slack gives to its users, of being able to host call straight from Slack. No worries about third-party platforms working with Slack, you can use the platform's own technology to communicate with the members of your team, video calls included.

Plus, the smartphone app enables you to work, access your Slack channels and interact with people from anywhere.

And lastly, I'm a big fan of the Apps integrations that can be used with Slack. Would you like for your Slack channel to do something you can't do right now?

There's probably a Slack app for that.

Are you looking for a better way to use Slack in combination with a project management tool you use?

It's doable, and so is providing customer support by connecting your customer service tool to Slack.

Cons

I'm probably not the first to say this but, when it comes to Slack notifications, there must be a better way to control them.

Think about having a very engaged Slack space with several channels... and each channel received and keeps receiving a notification after the other. It can be disruptive and distracting, and I think it's something that Slack should address and change as soon as they can so that users don't get "bombarded" by a ton of notifications.

• Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 19/3/2018

Team messaging done right

Pros

When working in teams of many sizes, Slack makes chat fun, efficient and non-obstrusive.

Slack is modelled on IRC, with users joining a "workspace" comprised of any number of themed channels. Users can set their notification preferences for each channel, which makes it possible to control the volume of notifications.
While some channels are meant to be used by everyone (#general, #random), it's very easy to create new channels for specific projects or discussions. I love the fact that all workspaces allow by default a "random" channel, encouraging non-work related discussion.

The flexibility afforded by this organization makes Slack a great fit for any kind of project sizes, but also other communities.

Finally, Slack supports powerful formatting (bold, italics, code snippets, quotes all using the intuitive Markdown syntax). Emoji and GIF support makes it even more fun. Emoji reactions are an expressive and fun way to respond to messages quickly, avoiding time wasted on picking phrasing (and spamming others with basic responses).

Cons

In settings where the free plan is not sufficient (e.g. large number of users), the "pro" options feel quite expensive.

While clients are extremely well designed on all platforms, handling multiple Slack Workspaces is still a bit of a hassle. Notifications arrive for all workspaces, but one needs to explicitly switch between workspaces to see messages. A unified view of all new messages across workspaces would be amazing.

The lack of a single account means that any preference set into one client (e.g. on desktop) will generally not carry over to another (e.g. mobile).

In terms of administration, I wish that we could set the default notification settings per channel, instead of requiring each user to go and tweak them manually.