About Twilio

Twilio is the worlds leading cloud communication platform that enables you to engage customers across channels - SMS, voice, video, email, WhatsApp and more. Pay-as-you-go APIs allow businesses to scale communications reliably.

4.2
4.2

Browse Twilio Reviews

Renan

Reviewed on 19/5/2019

The "magical" DIY (Do It Yourself) communication system

After 2 years using Twilio services, mainly phone and messages, I can say I am so happy I found this solution to handle my communications.
It is so flexible,
Although it has been a little bit complicated sometimes to self-learn about online phoning systems it saved me from a lot of hassles I wanted to avoid.
The best benefit you get is the ultra efficient support service

Pros

With Twilio you can start from scratch to build your own online communication system. I didn't know so much about VOIP before and it is true I had to learn a few things.
So far I have been able to use my Twilio french mobile number fully online even whenI need to travel abroad - with all mobile services you can expect (voice, SMS, MMS).
The pricing is light and the global user interface makes the whole systme pretty easy to manage.
I only use a few features from the platform but the possibilities are huge ! And they are always working on new services.
And as Twilio is now really recognized as a communication company you can find additional software apps very easily and even documentation, I am thinking of the softphone app I am using on my mobile or desktop for instance.

Cons

I could customize a personal solution because I had time to test different options and as a developer I could code stuffs if needed.
I am not sure everybody can do the same without technical skills.

Pius
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 7/5/2022

Twilio

Twilio helps me send transactional SMS messages to my users, which is its important role for my business and it nails this. However, to get more out of it, I use it for marketing to certain user segments as well and it performs brilliantly. Overall, I am happy with Twilio.

Pros

Twilio easily integrates with multiple 3rd party services out there. With a simple Zap in Zapier, you can build multiple workflows that trigger operations on your Twilio accounts such as sending out mass SMS or transactional SMS to customers.
Twilio has exceptional deliverability in so many countries around the world. So no matter where your recipient is, Twilio can pretty much reach them.

Cons

Twilio has a steep learning curve if you do intend to get the most out of the products. You can cover a lot with simple API and Zapier, but to get the most from it using "Programmable Communications" needs some level of expertise. And this is where Twilio really showcases its powers. Unfortunately without a certain level of expertise, you will not get to that. Personally, as a NoCode builder, to overcome this I had to hire an expert to help me get the most out of Twilio.

MessageBird

Reasons for Switching to Twilio

Twilio was much easier to integrate with my existing stack of Bubble, Zapier, and Airtable.
Leena

Reviewed on 4/12/2022

Twilio is the frameowork that powers our sms marketing operations.

Twilio powers sms marketing campaigns in my company. Twilio's ability to integrate with mainstream social media messengers like Telegram and Facebook messenger, has further strengthened the effectiveness of our sms marketing operations.

Pros

We are constantly as a company, on the lookout for the best tools in every area of our operations. Twilio's speed of sms delivery is right now unmatched by any other software. It has the best rates , both in terms of the unique phone numbers we use for our sms campaigns and the cost of sms delivery.

Cons

Twilio still does not do enough in the area of providing analytical information about our sms marketing campaigns. As a user, I want to have more advanced information about how target recipients of our sms messages are relating with our sms , on what integrated platform are our sms content being engaged with the most and so on. Twilio falls short in this aspect right now.

Top Twilio Alternatives

Or

Reviewed on 4/12/2019

Great API. Terrible Support

Overall I'm happy with the product but when something goes wrong you're all alone.

Pros

Twilio's API for SMS / Voice is by far the easiest we've used in our company. Their documentation is great and complete.

Cons

Twilio dashboard is good but not perfect. You can't load logs for long periods (like 2+ months) and when you try you get an exception. When I brought it up with their support they completely ignored my comment. Some of the support team at Twilio is okay. Some of them are the worst: Rude, unhelpful and stubborn and zero knowledge about their product and the industry they are part of.

Reviewed on 13/11/2022

Great Call center management solution

I will definitely continue to use it, because the solution meets my needs

Pros

Gives you all te features to properly handle your call and SMS

Cons

The set up and management is a bit complicate but is a nice app.

CallHippo

CallHippo
Anil

Reviewed on 2/1/2023

Twilio is the right call

Pros

Twilio is a non profit communications partner, although for IoT, call center automation and automation use cases, it is also a non profitcommunications solution.Despite initial hitches in deployment with twilio ML issues, this mode of communication by coding is gaining ground.A fairly robust solution if you want high customisability.

Cons

The product is on the way to universal acceptability and unstability, reliability are some concerns with scripting for communication, the automated conversational answering does not always work.

Geoffrey

Reviewed on 9/1/2023

Great tool, when you understand how it works

Pros

Twilio is the kind of software I really don't know if I like or not.In its positive points, of course it is its features. Sending text messages, automating them with automation tools, getting a new phone number in a few clicks, all this is amazing.I didn't tried at much the VOIP features, but I'm sure they are great.It also looks like it allows thousand other advanced features, that I'm sure are super useful for a business.Support is nice and responsive.Good integration with HighLevel.

Cons

I never saw a more complicated software. UX / UI are terrible, and it looks really technical. For me, it was really hard to understand, and I hated to spend hours in the documentation or chatting with the support to understand it.I think a technician will love it, but if you're a business owner looking to implement it, get yourself prepared to take some time for it.Also, it's amazing if you use it on the American and Canadian markets, but for other markets, like the European one, there are tons of limitations due to countries and European policies.SMS are 10x more expensive on average, and you won't be able to do a lot of things, like for example doing 2 way messaging (depending on the country, some can, others can't). It loses a lot of interest. I personally had to rethink completely a project due to those limitations.

Shaikat

Reviewed on 9/12/2022

Best Programmable Voice Solution for Pro Users

Pros

You can have one tracking number forwarded to various clients, saving you tons of money! Also, getting onboard and creating advanced solutions is very easy as they have fantastic devs explaining everything on their youtube videos. If you're a large lead gen business, it's a no-brainer!

Cons

Not a great option if you're just getting started or a small business. There are better alternatives for you.

Vaibhav

Reviewed on 27/12/2022

Best Solution for SMS and WhatsApp marketing

Pros

Easy to implement and user friendly interface.

Cons

Pricing is little bit high for whatsapp and sms marketing, but worth for features we get.

Phill

Reviewed on 14/12/2022

Great piece of software

Great product, I use it to remind clients of appointments, send bulk messages as well as automated reminders to myself.

Pros

Allows me to link to Zapier, my CRM and also send messages from inside the website itself. Its a lot easier for mass texting then trying to do it yourself on your phone.

Cons

It is a little complicated to setup mainly because it has so many features and I needed to workout how to setup what I wanted but it has worked perfectly since.

Abhinav

Reviewed on 5/6/2022

One of the most Powerful and Useful Platform in the World

Twilio is a great tool with a lot of Custom Features that can be plugged in to solve various business problems and provide value addition to Businesses.

Pros

Twilio provides a great level of services and is super easy to use. I personally used its WhatsApp API and Messaging API in my various Company Projects. It has a simple-to-understand API Documentation and powerful library support to get started with.

Cons

In Twilio for WhatsApp, the only downside I faced was it doesn't provide actual WhatsApp API which if provided could be of great help to me as new features of WhatsApp API takes time to come on Twilio.

360dialog

360dialog and Haptik
Ian

Reviewed on 11/12/2019

So easy it almost seems too easy.

We use Twilio Programmable Voice for a number of different use-cases. It is used to create trackable phone numbers for ads, internal phone/sms systems for sales/support and also integrated directly with our marketing automation platform, Autopilot. All of this had a fairly steep learning curve for a non-developer, but taking the time to do the work through Twilio (rather than a 3rd party software built on top of Twilio) has saved us a large amount of money and preserved a great deal of operational flexibility by preventing unwanted layers in our broader communications stack.

Pros

Twilio programable voice lets you build localized internet phone systems using numbers from anywhere in the world. I don't know of another comparable solution that isn't just another interface built on-top of Twilio. More importantly, it lets you customize these phone systems in every way imaginable (from drag/drop coding in Studio to custom apps) in just a few clicks. In terms of cost and flexibility, it is the clear winner in this space.

Cons

The product is trying to become increasingly friendly to non-developers, but it is still really positioned as a developer-first platform. It is a true platform technology, which is the root of most of Twilio's benefits – but that does come at the cost of being intimidating/less user-friendly to non-developers.

Chirag
  • Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 11/2/2021

Reliable text notifications for customers

We've had great experience with Twilio. Our users sign up for text notification and we use Twilio to deliver them information. That experience has been well-received by customers. There's more to Twilio than that but texting is what we use it for. The system barely ever goes down and always shows us accurate information of our usage.

Pros

Barrier to entry is so low; it's so easy to get started with Twilio. It took us one afternoon to test it and we were running production-grade systems the same week using Twilio. It's documentation is so good that we don't need to call into support for anything. Billing is clear and analytics is clear as well. We have enjoyed Twilio.

Cons

There isn't anything I don't like about Twilio. I do feel that Twilio can create widgets for non-technical customers to sign up customers for text notification. We have development staff that understands Twilio well enough. I do see small mom-and-pop shop owners who'd love to keep customers informed of sales through text messaging. If Twilio advertised more or somehow helped such audience, that'll be really neat.

Lacie

Reviewed on 27/4/2022

Twilio integration

Our overall experience with Twilio has been great. The set up and implementation of Twilio in our office was extremely easy and we haven't experienced any issues using Twilio so far. I like that there's a specific phone # attached that looks like it's form our area code and office. Our patients can text us at any time and we have never had any missed texts or communication issues.

Pros

We currently use this software that is integrated with our ChiroHD Software system. Our team utilizes Twilio daily and appreciates the convenience to easily communicate with patients via text.

Cons

I don't think we are using the full functionality of the product due to it's integration inside ChiroHD.

Jeff
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Reviewed on 18/12/2018

Great for Triggered Text Message Notifications

Overall, very happy. Great value for the money. Would highly recommend.

Pros

We've been using this system to send text notifications to a distribution list when someone visits our website and completes a form to request information. We typically receive emails from clients who send 3-5 similar, if not identical emails to multiple tour operators. By dramatically decreasing our time to contact the potential client and answer questions via email or over the phone, we saw a marked increase in booking conversions. Using the Zapier integration between our Website form tool "Gravity Forms" and Twilio, we now can respond to online inquiries a matter of minutes, and secure a booking before our competitors can even open their email.

Cons

In the Zapier setup, it is a bit of hit and miss to get all the custom text to layout like you want in a single text message.

tomer
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Reviewed on 22/8/2019

okay not that great

Pros

can replace ringcentral which is way more expensive solution

Cons

their support is not really good they don't really know whats going on

RingCentral MVP

RingCentral MVP
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics

Reviewed on 31/8/2018

Always on the Go with Twilio!

Pros

Competitive rates in the market is being offered. We use this in the company as the main tool for SMS messaging platform tool for our devices so it's cheaper compared to the rates we would be paying if we are to use the services offered by regular major carriers. It also allows use via API so very convenient and easy to set up in the backend for operational use with different platforms.

Cons

Lately, there's an issue when viewing/searching for SMS transaction logs. When you search for the logs using phone number as a search tool, sometimes the results will not show up. I think it's a bug. Also when the sub menus were changed from the previous version, it got confusing. Navigating the menus on the site got more complicated compared to before.

Peter

Reviewed on 17/12/2019

Full featured easy to use

We've grown over time with Twilio to take advantage of more and more of their services. As we've done so they almost always have a solution for what we want to do. Additionally I do want to give their support two thumbs up - they've always been fantastic.

Pros

Twilio has made it extremely easy to use even without an extensive technical knowledge. Their documentation is outstanding and they've build a lot of UI based tools on their website to setup fairly complex workflows without having to code. Of course our engineers are able to use their APIs to take advantage of a huge amount of functionality as well.

Cons

There are some quirks to some of the areas of their products (sorting/searching doesn't work in some places, no ability to mass-refile errored messages, etc). These can generally be worked around but would make the overall experience better and more efficient.

Niru
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 8/1/2020

Service enhances functionality of host softwares

I have been very satisfied with my experience using twilio, stable software that enhances functionality to our software we created.

Pros

I love that twilio provides a texting feature which can be integrated with 3rd party software's to enhances there ability to better suit business needs. Twilio allows seamless integration which allows outgoing and incoming SMS messages to and from the client. Using the twilio portal we can check logs on which messages were sent and failed helping the host keep track on SMS activity of there software.

Cons

Setup and configuration is a bit of a tedious process however once completed, it works well. Sometimes servers go down for twilio which causes disruptions for our texting feature, however this can be expected for any software company that provides a large scale service.

Reviewed on 30/12/2017

Extremely easy to set up and get going!

The software was able to solve for a business requirement.
Price point was reasonable.
Performance is very good.

Pros

As a lead architect, I am always on the look out for stable, easy to integrate tools and services for our various Enterprise solutions.

With Twilio, I was able to get a fully functioning Enterprise level SMS Notification Microservice up and running in under an hour.
The ease of integration, it's simple API and documentation is what any developer would be happy with.
The price point is also very reasonable and I would highly recommend this solution to anyone who is looking to evaluate or use this service.

Theresa
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Reviewed on 29/10/2019

handy automation

Overall I believe their product to be of sufficient aid to my services and a product that my clients relay upon for reminders of appointments to keep working with the software.

Pros

I appreciate that the technology takes a lot off of my plate in terms of automating customer notifications

Cons

When there was a glitch in the system and I was grossly over charged it was very frustrating dealing with their customer support and I had to make a BBB complaint before the trouble ticket would be passed on to a supervisor, a process that took almost a month to resolve.

Reviewed on 20/8/2018

Plivo is GREAT BUT

It was awesome. If you can live with the price and knowing that competitors are almost half it really could be worth it to pay extra since they have a proven and battle-tested platform. Denied SMS sends are a pretty big deal and it's really easy to get caught in spam filtering etc on other providers. However I think I would recommend checking there first to see if your group of users can use the less expensive option without getting any dropped/missed/filtered SMS sends.

Pros

I liked that it worked great for my needs (Api driven SMS) and that I hardly had to manage anything to get it working and it worked for nearly any phone number I or my customers wanted to text.

Cons

The price. Some competitors are half the price, however it's a tradeoff in that you will get more failed SMS sends.

Esther
  • Industry: Information Services
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 12/9/2019

Reasonably-Priced Programmatic SMS and Voice

Twilio was one of the earliest players in the programmatic telecommunications services industry, and they have their basic services down to an art. Everything is well-documented, and their APIs in the various programming languages they support are easy to understand and very stable. They offer a free trial of most of their services, and getting started doesn't cost a lot, but once you start using the services heavily, it can increase in cost rapidly if you do not properly plan for the amount of traffic involved. There are other services that do specific individual services better, but if you're looking for an all-around balanced programmatic telecommunications platform, Twilio is probably the best to start with.

Pros

Easy to set up, extensible, supports a variety of programming languages and interfaces, pricing is easy to understand, excellent free trial that allows for testing of most features

Cons

Pricing can jump quickly with advanced usage, still a bit basic in some of its interfaces

Bandwidth

Reasons for Switching to Twilio

Lower initial cost
Svetla

Reviewed on 7/3/2021

An easy to use sms sending tool, easy to integrate with other solutions

Easy to use sms sending solution that integrates well with many third party solutions, for a fair price. Sending of messages is pretty fast, there is log of messaging activity and overall this is a great tool to extend your marketing messaging.

Pros

Twilio is very easy to onboard. Have integrated it with 2 different tools which connected to Twilio and Twilio was sending sms based on data passed by those tools. I can say that account sign up was very easy, the interface was fairly quick to understand, the pricing of sms is fair and support was quick to respond. It does support sending sms for many countries.

Cons

When there is some error with the sms sending (due to integration issues or other), the errors are not very intuitive and may take some time to nail out the issue. But otherwise the tool has worked great.

Maud

Reviewed on 6/11/2022

Became our right arm in our marketing process

Pros

This platform has maximized customer relations and interaction.

Cons

The integration function is cumbersome.