When I Work Reviews

About When I Work

When I Work is a cloud-based employee scheduling solution that helps organizations track time and attendance, create and edit employee schedules, add new jobs to the calendar, review timesheets and fill shifts. When I Work lets...

Browse When I Work Reviews

1,086 of 1,086 reviews
Christopher
Christopher
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 12/2/2020

When I Work User

Pros

The When I Work software is great at keeping track of my work schedule. On the Dashboard, it notifies me of my next upcoming shift, the date, and the time. It tells at which location I am working and what my position will be. It also tells what coworkers that I am working with during that shift. I can go into the schedule tab of the software and see what days during the week I am working. The software will also tally up my total hours that I will work per week. This is helpful because it allows me to see who is working and who is not so I can get a shift covered. The software also allows me to put in requests in advance of dates that I want to request off.

Cons

The availability scheduling feature takes some time to learn how to navigate. It is somewhat difficult to fully schedule availability. If you make a mistake and accidentally alter the availability for one day you have to go back to that day and fix it before adjusting your availability.

Response from When I Work

Hi Christopher,

Thank you so much for the detailed feedback. I am glad When I Work helps you keep track of your shifts, the shifts of your coworkers, and helps with getting the time off you need!

If you have any questions about Availability Preferences please submit a ticket, we are happy to assist!

Replied 14/2/2020
Silvia
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Reviewed on 13/9/2023

User and Mobile-friendly Scheduling at a Glance

My overall experience has been great. Customer service is always generally available or responds in a timely manner.

Pros

It's the ease of use. You don't have to be particularly tech-savvy to understand the ins and outs of this app.

Cons

The schedule time input might be a little tricky sometimes.

Response from When I Work

Hi Silvia,

Lexie here with the Customer Care team at When I Work, thank you for sharing this feedback on your experience with When I Work!

Should your Users ever run into any trouble accessing their account, my team is always available to help troubleshoot. Employees are more than welcome to submit a ticket here -https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/

We appreciate valuable feedback like this as we consider improvements to our product and are always happy to be open to suggestions!

To keep informed of any future updates, When I Work does provide updates on product releases through the link below!

If you have further feedback or other suggestions, please do not hesitate to reach back out!

Lexie

Replied 14/9/2023
Sara
  • Industry: Veterinary

Reviewed on 10/5/2024

Your Typical Scheduling Software

When I Work has all the basic features we need for schedule management in small animal hospital.

Pros

As an employee, it is easy to submit time off requests and check the status of requests, view other employees schedule, and see where additional coverage is needed on the calendar.

Cons

The messaging platform was a little confusing to learn at first.

Response from When I Work

Hello Sara, Thanks for the detailed review! It’s wonderful to see that our product is helpful to you!

Replied 13/5/2024

Top When I Work Alternatives

Elizabeth
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Reviewed on 12/11/2019

MISSING BASIC FUNCTIONS!

Overall, we feel very let down with the simple but IMPORTANT missing features. Having spent time to setup two other client accounts with WIW, and made two training videos. WASTE OF TIME! But that's the chance you take, right? Vetting doesn't always go well and we found a work around for the PTO issue, but the timesheet submittal issue is a deal breaker. We are not going to setup a side system to verify that everyone has completed their timesheets and track history for employees submitting for review and accuracy. This needs to be a function of the app.

Pros

Interface is simple and provides an organized structure that is responsive. Inviting and adding employees is automated.

Cons

Your employees cannot "turn in" or "submit" their timesheets! There is no way to know or have them verify that what they have entered is ready for review. A mgr has to chase down each employee to verify they have finished, or have a side system of notices, or double tracking.
Employees cannot enter PTO after the fact, they can only REQUEST PTO for future dates. If a company is using the timesheet function to have employees enter their time, breaks, PTO, etc, there are many limitations that require managers to do additional work. For instance, if an employee has an unexpected family emergency for two days, they cannot request PTO after those days are past. So how does PTO get entered for those days? Somehow the employee has to communicate with the mgr to enter it for them!
Very simple but integral functions that are important to a timesheet app that are missing!!
When giving feedback to WIW about these missing features, we were told that it was fine for us to move to another app since WIW wasn't a good fit. In other words, they are not open to feedback for improvement.....like it or leave.... We are leaving and taking the two clients we already setup on WIW trials to another platform, along with the 5 other clients that were waiting for the results of our trial run. All of which would have been paid subscriptions for WIW!

Response from When I Work

Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review and provide your feedback. We're sorry to hear that you did not find When I Work to be a good fit for your team. We do appreciate hearing more about what features are most important to you as we use customer feedback to guide future developments.

If you have any other questions or feedback to share, please let us know by submitting a ticket here: https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/. Our Customer Care team would be happy to help. Thank you for your time and thoughts.

Kate

Replied 17/11/2019
Becky
  • Industry: Events Services

Reviewed on 6/3/2024

User Friendly

Great system! As someone who came from Quickbooks, this is a much more in depth database.

Pros

I love how easy it is to navigate the data and schedule employees and track their time.

Cons

On the mobile app, you can't find the clock in button, at least with mine you can't.

Response from When I Work

Hi Becky,

Shab here from When I Work. We're happy to see that you are enjoying the app!

If there are any specific issues you are encountering or questions you have please reach out to our Customer Care team by submitting a ticket at https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/.

Thank you.

Replied 7/3/2024
Luis

Reviewed on 25/6/2023

When I Work is the go to time tracking solution I recommend to all my accounting clients

Overall When I Work is a great time tracking solution. It works well, and the report outputs are easy to work with when running payroll. The only thing that could improve is that the sync feature would work with Quickbooks simple start and essentials. Currently the sync function only works with quickbooks plus and above, and not all my clients have a plus level subscription, adding manual entry for payroll.

Pros

The ability for employees to clock in from their smart phone and the system logging their location is very useful. The chat feature also helps employers to communicate the days tasks quickly.l

Cons

The pricing structure seems to always be changing and every time I recommend it to a new or existing client, the current pricing is different than what my other clients are on. I need to be constantly checking the newest pricing before I recommended and begin setup for new accounts.

QuickBooks Time

Reasons for Switching to When I Work

I have tried other time tracking solutions but they all were a little clunky on the admin side when making adjustments. When I work has a spreadsheet like layout that makes it every easy to visualize and make adjustments.

Response from When I Work

Hi Luis,

Shab here from When I Work. Thank you for taking the time to write us such an amazing review. Our Customer Care team would be happy to help you out with any questions you may have. Please submit a ticket at https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/ so we can provide more assistance if needed.

Thank you again for your review!

Replied 27/6/2023
Stephanie
  • Industry: Restaurants

Reviewed on 29/5/2023

Perfectly simple, yet provides multifunctional employee tracking and communications

Satisfied with the overall usage of this product. It's really straight forward, simple to use, helpful, and reliable. Making more time to spend on other areas of your business that are more important.

Pros

The simplicity and accuracy are notable. It helps you from scheduling multiple employees on shifts. It allows for employees to swap shifts or release and pick as well. Notifications are immediately sent and acknowledgment of schedule and communications are recorded. Which is absolutely needed to employee accountability.

Cons

There are potential areas where this program could fail at advising the appropriate authority. If a shift was let go and needed to be picked up. Leading to understaffing concerns.

ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for Switching to When I Work

The layout was simple and easy to comprehend for any person to use.

Response from When I Work

Hi Stephanie!

We appreciate your nice feedback! It's great hearing from you that When I Work is helping to make your teams' and your work lives easier.

Kindly,
Shanyce

Replied 5/6/2023
Joel
  • Industry: Restaurants

Reviewed on 16/5/2019

When I work Works!

When I work eliminates all the shift swapping without approval, and gets rid of the paper requests off for day off requests that get lost etc.

Pros

I love the ease of use. When I work is the whole package for what we needed it to do. The app does what it needs to by allowing the employees to do everything they could do on desktop. This makes them much more willing to use it and use the functions correctly.

Cons

So far we have not found something we don't like.

TimeForge

Reasons for Switching to When I Work

We tried timeforge and I think it is a good product, but the app didn't yet do all we needed it to do and the graphs and info for management tracking were a bit too informative for our needs which I felt made them confusing.

Response from When I Work

Hi Joel!

Thanks for such a fantastic review! I'm glad to hear that you're finding it's saving time and reducing stress for things like time off requests!

Terra

Replied 17/5/2019
Shannon
Shannon
  • Industry: Government Administration

Reviewed on 2/9/2021

Acceptable product quality but poor service

I've been using it so long I don't remember the sales and implementation process. It's probably time to start shopping for a new solution, but I can't be bothered because my staff are used to it and it basically does what's it's supposed to.

Pros

It is fairly easy to build the schedule every week and staff get notified right away. The time off feature works really well. I like the "Open Shifts" feature for weeks when we are short staffed.

Cons

So many things, but mostly that I have used it for 7 years and it has hardly evolved. Or at least when they do add features, you almost always have to pay for them. I made some changes a few years ago that broke somethings and tried to get someone on the phone and was basically told that I dont' qualify for phone support. They didn't solve my issue (I'm just tolerating it). Kind of annoying considering that I hav epaid about $8400 USD for this software over the past 7 years. I feel I'm worth a 15 minute phone call to troubleshoot my issues and make it work better for me.

Response from When I Work

Hi Shannon,

Thank you for taking the time to review our application. We love and appreciate hearing feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve our product to best support all of our customers.

I am sorry to hear there seems to be an issue that has not been resolved for you. We are very happy to help correct this. We do have a Live Chat option for live support that can be very useful real time.

Please feel free to reach out to us directly anytime you need us. We are always here and happy to assist in the most effecient way possible!

Again, we definitely appreciate the feedback and look forward to continuing to serve your Scheduling and Time Keeping needs.

Respectfully,
Ethan

Replied 9/9/2021
Dana
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 13/6/2024

One of best scheduling products

I love the product! Would recommend to everyone I know

Pros

User friendly, easy to read, great features not found anywhere else.

Cons

Has everything I need and more. Wouldn’t change anything

Response from When I Work

Hello Dana, thank you for leaving such a positive review!

Replied 17/6/2024
Jamie
  • Industry: Veterinary

Reviewed on 14/4/2021

Okay for micro-busineses but does not scale well, integrates poorly, and suffers from bad...

The company only offers support by Chat or Email - there is no way to get someone on the phone. I did not realize this when signing up, and find it a maddening waste of time when you have a real problem to solve (and you will have problems!)

Pros

The Scheduling module works well for our 25-person veterinary practice where staff work rotating schedules. We can set up templates for each group and quickly deploy and tweak the schedule.

Cons

We tried to integrate with Gusto Payroll to streamline time-sheet reporting. It's a mess, and does not often work. It's really hard to troubleshoot because WhenIWork hides all the integration details. For instance you can not see the mapping of employees and their roles/jobs between the two companies. After a while I realize that it's faster to manually type in all the data since troubleshooting this is so time consuming. Plus you can not get support on the phone!

Response from When I Work

Hello Jamie,

Thank you for your honest review of our integrations and support channels. We appreciate the feedback.

The Customer Care team aims to provide exceptional support through our email and chat channels. We would be happy to continue assisting with any issues you are seeing with the Gusto integration. Please chat in with us or submit a ticket.

All the best,
Tim

Replied 16/4/2021
Nicola
  • Industry: Facilities Services

Reviewed on 9/9/2016

Does what it is supposed to

I loved this product until a setting (that I didn't touch) mysteriously changed itself, causing my subscription to increase significantly. I didn't notice it for 14 months. When I addressed this with When I Work, I was told that their policy is to not provide credits or refunds - in this case even when it seems it was them that had overcharged. I have gone from a very satisfied long-term customer, to one who feels like When I Work is not there for its clients at all. And I am suspicious that others would have their background settings changed as well (I didn't even know what or where it was).

Pros

It's visual and simple. It schedules down to 15 minute increments. It makes a very dynamic schedule like ours, easy to manage and understand.

Cons

It would be good if a shift automatically started from the time you first click on the schedule. It would be good if they understood how tricking and overcharging their customers leads to a complete lack of loyalty. Buyer beware! Just keep on checking your subscription amounts each month. As if you don't have other things to be occupied with.

Response from When I Work

Thank you for the feedback and we are happy to hear the product is meeting your scheduling needs. We pride ourselves on our customer service, and it's a primary reasons so many business owners choose When I Work over other options.

We understand your frustration in this situation where you enabled a feature which was underutilized.

When I Work does not change billing settings without the explicit written consent by the Account Holder.

We also email out an invoice to Account Holders for every transaction made to ensure clear transparency.

When I Work's flexible and transparent billing allows businesses to only purchase what they need. For some of our customizations, such as international text support, there is a recurring monthly add-on fee.

All pricing customizations are clearly listed on the Account & Billing Page and prior to consenting to the recurring payment- we require the Account Holder's consent to our Terms of Service, Refund Policy, and Privacy Policy.

Replied 9/9/2016
ellen

Reviewed on 31/8/2017

A good option for timecards and schedule.

Initially it was a good solution for employee scheduling. We added the time clock after about 8 months and it has served its purpose. It allowed us to not use a google doc to schedule employees. It is a a good scheduler but not as great of a time clock.

Pros

My employees can use the app to get alerts and check their schedules. Employees can swap shifts with my approval. The time card is integrated into the schedule app. It is somewhat easy to use. We have used this software for about 2 years. When we first started with them there were not a lot of options out there. And it served its purpose. Our employees seem to like using it.

Cons

There are several cons. I think the price is too high for what you get. Trying to process the time cards is very cumbersome and not very easy to understand. We run 24 hours a day and this software is not well suited to a 24 hour clock. Overall I spend too much time trying to understand how to use the time clock - punch in/out- and it is really frustrating. Also- their customer support is really pretty horrible. There is not a way to call someone and you have to submit an email to support and it can take them a bit to get back to you. Issues with time cards are things you want an answer for right away and they do not offer a quick response. Also- you really have to use a desk top to process the time cards and it does not function so well with google chrome- I think safari works better- but I prefer to use chrome. There are glitches with it that are just frustrating.

Response from When I Work

Hi Ellen!

Thanks for writing us a review! We appreciate the feedback you provided to us. I am happy to hear that you are finding the scheduler helpful. I am, however, bummed to hear that you have had difficulty contacting our support teams. You always have access to live chat within your account, simply by clicking on the chat bubble within the green toolbar. If additional training on the Attendance tool is something you would like, please just let our support teams know and we would be more than happy to provide you with that.

We strive to provide the highest level of support to our customers and we hope that we can meet your expectations moving forward.

Have a great day!

Replied 5/9/2017
Rose
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 23/4/2022

Has a lot of potential, but isn't quite there yet for our needs.

Overall, I wanted this to really work, but it's been frustrating.

I do acknowledge that we work in a non-traditional industry. I am a team member at an NFT company with world-wide employees who all work from home. We need our community server covered 24/7 and so I need to be able to schedule people 24/7, but in *their* timezone in order to make sure that I have everyone working during normal hours in *their time* (as opposed to 4am their time). I can't make "shift templates" in one time zone and then make shifts in another timezone for the auto scheduler. There is no way for me to denote "Hey, I want my APAC crew to be scheduled these APAC hours, but NOT my US crew".

I've spent many, many, many hours trying to figure out how to "game the system" to make it work for us. I can do it but it's very cumbersome, hands on, and takes a lot of time (which is the opposite of what I was hoping a scheduler would do. I was hoping to SAVE time.)

I reached out to the team at one point to report the bug where the auto scheduler was ignoring unavailable time, and received a followup email letting me know it was fixed, but I still experience the issue every time I go to make a new schedule.

This may be a FANTASTIC piece of software for traditional work-force, but hasn't been what I was hoping thus far for the industry I work in, that requires 24/7 scheduling with employees all over the world.

Pros

-Allowing for employees to be in different timezones
-Allowing for employees to set their unavailability and their preferred scheduling times
-Allowing employees to shift swap within the software

Cons

-Software is often buggy. It auto schedules my employees during times they are marked as "unavailable". This may be due to the fact that we have people all over the world and could be a time-zone issue, but the fact remains that they are often scheduled during "unavailable" times, and it has to be adjusted.

-It also doesn't seem to honor the "schedule weekends first" feature correctly when I'm using auto scheduling. One of my employees ends up never being scheduled and I have to adjust. (TBF I have to adjust EVERYONE'S schedule after using the auto scheduler, but the issue with this one employee in particular is consistent and weird.)

-Making shift templates is cumbersome.

-There is no way for me to view someone's schedule in their timezone (and I'm talking about Singapore vs. CST) without switching my OWN timezone preference, which requires me to then immediately refresh the site or it won't show properly.

-There is no "undo" -- If I have a schedule pushed and I need to play around with a swap, the moment I shift someone's shift, it goes into draft mode and if I decide, "Hey, I'm gonna actually just leave them where they are," there is no way to undo the movement without republishing (and sending them a notification) the shift.

-Shift swapping doesn't allow for a FT employee to cover a PT employee's shift if they want, or for a PT employee to cover part of a FT employee's shift. I have to manually do this.

Response from When I Work

Hi Rose,

Thanks for taking the time to share this feedback with us.

We're sorry to hear that When I Work did not best meet your business needs! We can certainly appreciate the importance for your business to access features that do not exist within When I Work.

New enhancement requests are reported to our team and demand is tracked to review the request and determine whether to implement it. We are not able to provide a timeline of when requested features may be implemented, although we do offer updates on new features/releases through announcements in the product updates on our blog and through the Help Center "Product News": https://help.wheniwork.com/article-categories/product-news/.

Thanks again and let us know if there is anything further we can assist with.

Chelo

Replied 29/4/2022
Miguel

Reviewed on 24/6/2018

Scheduling Resources Has Never Been Easier

When I Work is truly a great tool for scheduling. Use it for forecasting as well to determine where you can make the best use of your resources across one or more projects. This tool also helps you understand what your organization is capable of handling. It will definitely save you from scheduling headaches and the potential issues around delivering work when you are better able to have full visibility across all your teams and the projects they are working on. A great stand alone tool, as well as a great integrated tool.

Pros

When I Work is a simple and truly effective time scheduler for resourcing projects in your organization. You can track across one or more projects, as needed, and identify time availability for the work that needs to get done. This is often one of the most challenging aspects of keeping projects on track and very few project management tools can help you like When I Work can.

Unlike the "capacity" view of other applications, When I Work gets down to the most granular details. It allows you to identify when and where a team member will be used, including time-off, breaks, lunches, meetings, etc. You can use these categories to identify how best to allocate their time.

The scheduler allows you to see teams based on shift or positions (roles). You can track un-paid breaks and time off, as well as customize schedules and create templates for reuse. You can even create specific shifts for one time or recurring use and maintain notes on each entry. It also provides high level visibility of total individual team member capacity as well as what is scheduled and what has already been used.

View your teams across one or more projects or job sites and distribute resources across them all as needed. It offers program-like management of projects and does not restrict you to individual projects, which can become cumbersome when re-allocating time of one team member across two or more projects.

When I Work is a great tool for planning, or simply use it in addition to your project management application. Its scheduling features make it a powerful tool that lets you forecast as well, by easily making changes in schedules as needed. You will spend less time manually calculating your resources and where to place them, saving you time and money. Changes to any schedules are easy to see and the responses are easy to manage.

When I Work also offers features like task management, which allows you to manage projects of less complexity in the same application. And if you are looking for integration, yes, you can use their library of APIs for that. But, you need to click on the developer link at the footer for more details. Their integration features are not prominently displayed on their website.

Cons

No cons I could personally find for the application and its use. Integration via APIs are present, but this is more for organizations who have techs who can implement them. I have seen organizations with limited development capabilities due to their areas of expertise, where integrations might pose a small challenge... but this should not necessarily pose as a true con for you.

Helen

Reviewed on 8/10/2019

User Friendly, Easy to Use and Understand.

Pros

DASHBOARD : Upon logging in, the dashboard shows the exact total amount of time and money put it by all employees. That way, I can see if there is something out of the ordinary as long as I know the average expense we put on the payroll.
AS AN ADMIN/PAYROLL/SUPERVISOR: I can customize who can view and edit the time of the members in the team. Typically, I give part of admin rights to the team leaders or supervisors. This way, it saves my time in editing login errors and focus more on the whole organization. If I want to do a roll call, I can do it at my desk in one glance.
It helps me organize the schedule of the whole organization for next week's work operation and post it when it is finalized. No more excuses such as "I didn't know".
At the end of payroll period, reporting is a breeze!
AS A USER WITH LIMITED ACCESS : As a user, I have limited view of the data. I can only view my own hours. Which it is what I'm supposed to only see. I can watch my hours and limit myself to working more than 40 hours per week. I can send my Personal Time off and wait for the admin's approval. As a contractor employed by the organization, I can post my time availability. I don't have to go back and forth talking and negotiating to the supervisor. I can do this remotely with an app.

Cons

So far, I have nothing least to say about this software.

Response from When I Work

Hi Helen,

Thank you for utilizing When I Work and for this awesome review!

We appreciate hearing from you and are glad to know When I Work is helping to save some time and make your teams' and your work lives a little easier.

Vicki

Replied 11/10/2019
Cindy
  • Industry: Security & Investigations

Reviewed on 17/6/2023

When I Work works well

Overall I enjoy using the app. I very rarely has any glitches. I recommend using When I Work.

Pros

What I liked about When I Work the most is that it is very easy to use. The link to download app feature works great. Its great for scheduling.

Cons

What I liked the least about When I Work is the time tracking feature because it real time updates are not automatically available without refreshing the screen. Also sometimes new shift updates also lag and require refreshing the app as well.

Response from When I Work

Hi Cindy,

Sarah here from the Care Team at When I Work.

Thank you for taking the time to review the When I Work app and providing your feedback. We are thrilled to hear that, overall, you are enjoying the app and would recommend it to other users.

Regarding any lagging or issues you are experiencing, outdated data stored in the browser's cache is one likely cause of this behavior. Clearing the browser's data is the recommended next step to correct this. The steps are slightly different for different browsers, but we've stored some useful links in our help center article here:

It is important to make sure "all-time" is selected and all browser windows are closed after these steps in order to test if this is effective.

If you continue to have trouble, please submit a ticket to our Care Team by visiting https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/ and someone will continue troubleshooting. Thanks!

Replied 21/6/2023
Lindsay

Reviewed on 14/11/2017

We started using When I Work to do scheduling and time clock for our 130 desk-less employees

It saves us a lot of time. We have 130 college students that work for us and they are always swapping shifts or need a shift off for an exam or something like that. They can do all of that through When I Work and I don't have to be the middle man in any of that anymore. It also helps hold them accountable. It makes them acknowledge their shifts and tells them that they are still responsible for the shift until someone accepts it (and notifies if/when it is accepted). It is nice that they get that reminder every time they need to drop a shift and I don't have to find them and remind them all of the time.

Pros

We love the fact that our employees can access it on their phones. Our employees are college students, so being able to use it on a mobile device is crucial. Our old program didn't have that functionality. I also like that I can go in and move someone's shift to "open" for any other employee to accept. Since our employees are college students and anything required for a course is excused from work, so it is really nice to be able to go in and move a shift for an employee that has an exam or something like that. I also like that employees have to acknowledge their shifts.

Cons

Two things - I can't go in and schedule just one person. We are on a college campus that operate on quarters. I would like to be able to look at an individual schedule for a certain time period and edit it as necessary, but that functionality doesn't exist. My employees are frustrated with the notifications. It is great that someone can do a "drop shift request" that goes out to all of the other employees, but it is frustrating to get 10 emails about that. We (mainly our hourly employees) wish there was an option to get the notifications in a digest once a day instead an email for every single notification.

Response from When I Work

Hi Lindsay,

Thank you for leaving a review! It is great to hear that When I Work has been able to improve your scheduling process and save you time.

You have provided great feedback here. I can see how the ability to view/edit an individuals schedule could be a valuable feature. Our goal with the notifications is to keep everyone as informed as possible, but I understand it can be a lot if your schedule has many weekly changes. I will be sure to pass these ideas on to our product team!

Matt

Replied 15/11/2017
Maria Lenin

Reviewed on 29/4/2019

Manage staffing, scheduling, and attendance of your team for free

Pros

It’s a great application if you handle a large team and you need to keep track of your employees schedule, time clock , and shift staffing. It can handle up to 75 users. We used this application when i joined a part time job in sales. And it was easy to set up both in desktop and mobile. And when i logged in I can see all members of our department in the Team messaging feature. You can easily read and track all conversation within the team. Choosing your shift or schedule was easy. Just add the shift or schedule you chose for up to 2 weeks and the Manager can view your schedule for the day. Time clocking was easy, just press the IN button and break button if you are on break. Its an awesome application and whats good is that its free to sign up and use these features.

Cons

Well since its free, the features and function are just limited to what the employees clicked on the app but no screenshots of their desktop or other feature that other time applications have that can testify that the logged hours are indeed productive. Unlike Some paid applications that would have integrations to payment system after approval of hours, When I Work does not have other app integrations that would be complete the staffing and accounting system of your business. But so far everything went fine for this application, and moving through features or tabs does not hang and does not have much errors.

Response from When I Work

Hi Maria,

Thanks for taking the time to leave such a thoughtful and detailed review! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the free version of When I Work so much! If you are ever interested in any of the paid features, feel free to check them out at wheniwork.com/pricing

Terra

Replied 9/5/2019
Brad
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Reviewed on 21/2/2019

When I have to work, I use "When I Work" to make sure I get to work when I'm Supposed to!!

Overall, I really like this Software. It is very affordable for my small company! It has some features and functionality that it's competitor's just simply did not offer. So I actually use 2 different Time tracking softwares. But my employees use this one. If I was forced to make a choice on either "When I Work" or one of their competitors, I would probably have to choose "When I Work". They really do include everything my small business needs and more when it comes to scheduling and time tracking needs. The Geo fencing and Chat feature within the Software is just great. It really takes a lot of concern away from me. It allows the employees to be a bit more free and manage themselves and still be held accountable so I do not need to micro manage. It's hard to Explain, but just try the Software out and you won't be disappointed!!

Pros

The functionality and features offered are by far the best thing about this Software.
Ease of use, and control of use. Fairly Intuitive, and addresses most all of my needs for my small business!! The Cost! This software is very affordable for a small company.

Cons

I think that the Customer Support is not up to Par. The only way to get support is via Chat or to submit a Ticket. I have been ignored or neglected in the past, and just needed some help and no one was available and Did not respond either. This was when I first started using the Software and so it left a bit of a bad impression with me... I wish the Reports were not just limited to CSV files. I wish the reports were nice and clean and well presented like some of their competitors offer...

Response from When I Work

Hi Brad -

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review and share you're feedback with us! I'm so happy to hear that When I Work has met a lot of your business needs for managing your team.

I'm sorry to hear that your past experiences with our Care team haven't met your expectations. We currently offer support via live chat and email. These channels allow us to provide support effectively and efficiently for all of our customers at this time.

If you are encountering any issues, please don't hesitate to reach out to us so we can help out. We can be reached at [email protected] or via Live Chat as you referenced.

Kindly,
Adrianne

Replied 7/3/2019
Rachel
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 29/1/2018

Love When I Work. Easy to use, and the customer service is outstanding!

Being able to go paperless was the biggest benefit. Also, the ease of the software makes it easy for Supervisors to make schedules and track hours.

Pros

Love the ease of the software, super user-friendly. Also, like that it is easy for all generations to use. Love that all requests can be made online, helping to eliminate paper.

Cons

Would like to see more options for tracking employee hours as far as the reporting goes. Also, other features like tracking employees who work different positions, and being able to report on those hours. Also would like for it to track employee hours who no longer work with us anymore. Don't like that once the employee is removed from When I Work, all of their history is removed as well.

Response from When I Work

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for leaving us a great review! We appreciate hearing from you!

I can definitely see how more advanced reporting and export features could be of use to you and other users. I will be sure to pass this along as a suggestion to our development team.

In addition, you can view the schedules and timesheets for past users by pulling up a 'Schedule Export' or a 'Custom Timesheet Export' and setting the filter to 'All Employees' so your deleted users populate on the report.

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to our Customer Care team at [email protected] and they will be happy to help with whatever you may need :)

Sincerely,
Kara
-When I Work Team

Replied 31/1/2018
Richard

Reviewed on 29/9/2020

Accessibility and Intuitive Scheduling

My overall experience with When I Work has been positive! Out of all the scheduling apps or processes I've been a part of, this has definitely been the smoothest. I would recommend this app to any employer looking for good software.

Pros

What I like most about this software is the ability to track my hours in multiple manners. Not only does the app show me how many hours I am scheduled to work a week, it shows me the scheduled hours of everyone on staff in a larger format, and can even show my timesheets, giving me the breakdown of negative or positive hours correlating to clocking in early or clocking out late. This last feature is extremely helpful as it quantifies the fruits (whether ripe or rotten) of your labor, letting you know exactly what you need to keep doing or improve on.

Cons

Yes, when I am accessing availability and have repeating schedule preferences, if there absolutely any overlap, it simply does not allow you to make changes and it is then your job to find the overlaps and shift them to allow for your original change. Often, this process is tedious, but it doesn't come up often as the initial mistake is human error. If there was a way for it to offer options on how you'd like to fix the overlap, that would be perfect.

Response from When I Work

Hi Richard, thanks so much for this detailed review. We appreciate the feedback on setting availability preferences and I am happy to share this feedback with the appropriate team.

Replied 10/10/2020

Reviewed on 3/12/2014

Attractive inteface, serious limitations

So much promise, and a very attractive user interface. This might be fine for very small businesses, but has major limitations for tracking actual labour costs vs projected labour costs which is a key aspect of time management. Actual labour costs show up in the dashboard as a pretty line, but if you want to actually know the actual labour cost by day or % for actual sales, forget it. You'll have to export into excel and go back to that old game. If you run a restaurant or bar this feature alone should be a deal killer.

Also if you run a company with multiple departments and want deptartment managers to be responsible for their own labour budgets but not view wages company wide...forget it. Supervisors can view wages for their department but not labour budgets! Managers can view wages and labour budgets, but company wide! So this system can work for a small business where one manager is in charge of all schedules but not for larger companies with department managers that shouldn't have access to company wide info.

When will they come out with these and other features and fixes? Who knows...all they can say is...maybe, perhaps at some point, we're trying. How about a development timeline that customers can see so that they can tell whether a needed feature is going to be 2 weeks or 2 years, or never? How about a response from the development team about when a new feature might come out? No, just keep hoping. Well sorry, companies can ride on hope. Shiftplanning seems to be in the same price point, with larger feature set.

Pros

Attractive user interface. Easy to set up and add new shifts and move shifts around. Responsive support.

Cons

No ability to track actual sales vs budgeted without exporting to a spreadsheet.
LImited access for supervisors to labour budget.

Response from When I Work

Hi Michael,

Thanks so much for the feedback. This is very helpful. You're right about our approach to features. We hold back and focus on the features we can make the very best. We'd rather do 10 things great, than 100 things mediocre.

That said, I think I can help in regards to your questions about LABOR BUDGETING. We have a "mode" that you can turn on that will allow you to see labor budget by day compared adjusted projected sales. We also show you labor cost by $ and %. Here is a screenshot that show's how the LABOR BUDGET feature works. See it here: http://i.imgur.com/mhWYAbE.png

Is this what you're looking for? If not, how would you change this to meet your needs? Really appreciate the feedback and would love to learn more about how you do labor budgeting in your restaurant.

-Chad Halvorson
CEO / Founder

Replied 3/12/2014
Justin
Justin
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Reviewed on 4/10/2023

Restrictive, Burdensome Software

Pros

we purchased an existing business using this software so we kept it but i would not have chosen this software on my own because you can find better features for the same price with less restrictions.

Cons

I was forced to source a competitor due to WhenIwork pricing. I found and switched to Homebase mostly because they offered payroll which wheniwork does not. The main reason i'm dissapointed with the software is that if you pay for the next month on the 3rd of the month and cancel on the 4th, you lose access immediately AND they provide no refunds. I can understand no refunds but if you subscribe to a software and your monthly billing is the 3rd of the month...you maintain that software until the 2nd of the following month. For that reason, i will make sure to take a few minutes of my day and spread the news to others looking for a scheduling app.

Response from When I Work

Hi Justin,

Shab here from When I Work. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback about When I Work today. We are always looking for ways to improve, and customer suggestions and feedback play a big role in that.

Our Customer Care team would be happy to hear more about your experience with When I Work, or provide you with any assistance that you may need if you can submit a ticket at https://help.wheniwork.com/submit-a-ticket/.

Thank you again for taking the time out of your day to provide us with your valuable feedback.

Replied 12/10/2023

Reviewed on 19/4/2018

When I Work was a game changer for our scheduling needs

Pros

This is a very user friendly software. We are able to quickly create, edit, and distribute schedules to our large staff. We love that the staff can quickly submit time off requests, send us messages about their schedules, and even drop/swap shifts if necessary, within moments of the schedule being published.

Cons

When I Work is a very proactive company, and they make software updates often. The only bad thing about this is that it can some time for us to adjust to changes that are made, and occasionally there are small glitches. But overall, I would say I am more satisfied that they are proactive in expanding what the software can do, than I am disappointed in these occasional issues.

Response from When I Work

Hello Sarah,

Thanks for the review!

That is awesome to hear When I Work was a game changer for your team and that you are enjoying the ease of creating shifts and the time off and communication features too.

I appreciate your honesty about the software updates. We want to make sure we are meeting your needs so if you have any suggestions about how we can make the update process better for you and your team or if are any issues you would like us to look into, please contact us at [email protected]. We appreciate your feedback and are happy to help!

Sincerely,