About QuickBooks Desktop Pro

QuickBooks Pro helps to automate the billing and invoicing process and work order management from a single reconciliation window. With 'Bank Account Reconciliation' feature, users can link their bank accounts and define workflows...

4.2
3.9

Browse QuickBooks Desktop Pro Reviews

1,650 of 1,650 reviews
Randy

Reviewed on 17/12/2021

QuickBookds Desktop Pro is a winner

Have used and supported QB Desktop Pro and all its other flavors successfully for over 20 years

Pros

Industry standard for easy of use accounting software; easy to implement; many useful and essential features

Cons

Inexperienced users without proper training can Quick(ly screw up your)Books

Reviewed on 10/1/2023

Excellent acounting and management software

It has an impact on entering and tracking invoice and order numbers. it makes my life easier because It tracks accounting to make sure there are no losses in sales or in the company in general.

Pros

with QuickBooks Desktop Pro with the transactions are stored and the Customizable reportsSearch function

Cons

Lack of space for notes to be added on invoices Search options for shipments or memos

Meta for Business
Vanessa
  • Industry: Sports

Reviewed on 13/1/2023

I think the constant changes aren’t good

Just cancelled

Pros

Integration with bank account is easy and accurate

Cons

Complicated to just write a check. Takes. 4 screens

Top QuickBooks Desktop Pro Alternatives

Microsoft Excel

Patriot Accounting

RUN Powered by ADP

Zoho Analytics

Stanley

Reviewed on 2/12/2022

Industry Standard for Accounting.

QuickBooks Desktop Pro offers one of the best user interface and experience with an easy to grasp learning curve. This makes it the primary software for training accounts for many institution in y home place.

Pros

Easy setup process even for non technical users to install is the number one reason QuickBooks Desktop Pro wins and the 30 Days trial version come in very handy.

Cons

Lack of Wholesale and Manufacturing modules with QuickBooks Desktop Pro means I cant have BOM (Bill of Material) and this is quit limiting as it need an entirely new installation and license for its advance version that is QuickBooks Enterprise.

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Steep Learning curve and lack of prompt customer support with a very small user base in my place of residence.

Sage 100 and TallyPrime

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Licensing and cost are the biggest factor that championed my decision for the purchase of QuickBooks Desktop Pro.
Raymond
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Reviewed on 14/1/2023

Great product for most small companies

The overall experience is very good. Many accountants are very familiar with QuickBooks which helps alot.

Pros

Ease of use and training users. The navigation is intuitive and easy to learn.

Cons

When the support expires you are locked out of the product. You should at least get read-only capabilities. We were upgrading to a manufacturing ERP system and once the support expires the entire company was locked out. So, this means that even if you have outgrown the maximum user count and move to another system you still need to pay or lose access to QuickBooks. It does not seem fair for a loyal customer of many years have to pay the price simply because the application has a user limit.

Kirk

Reviewed on 1/1/2023

QuickBooks Pro - Fantastic deal for most businesses

Pros

QuickBooks Pro really is a fantastic.deal considering that it has 99% of what Enterprise has at a fraction of the cost. For most businesses, it really is a no brainier.

Cons

It's more a matter of whether the benefits of QuickBooks Online makes sense or not. Having a desktop QBW file seems very dated and when that files grows it can slow things down considerably.

• Industry: Medical Practice

Reviewed on 13/1/2023

Fair product with well tested history

Fair. They are pushing the online product (which is actually inferior) so much that their support for the desktop version is horrible

Pros

Intuitive and easy to learn. Has all functionality needed for such a program

Cons

Updating is difficult, support is very poor. Cannot be easily implemented in a cloud environment. In fact, support acts like they don’t know how to use it at all

Ebony

Reviewed on 9/12/2022

I love Quickbooks Desktop Pro

I had a breeze in using the software. It was easy to keep track of my money coming into my business. I love this software.

Pros

I love the fact that I can run my business using this software. It makes it a lot easier. Customer service is great.

Cons

There are no cons that I can think of. Every feature that I need is right there.

Alex
  • Industry: Sporting Goods

Reviewed on 22/12/2022

QB is probably the best accounting software I have used to date

Pros

How consistent it is- there is often more than one way to do a thing, and they are inherently functionally identical.

Cons

How much QB tries to push their online services. Don't trust cloud ANYTHING for business.

Reviewed on 7/1/2023

The Best Finance Software

Pros

Easy INvoicgin that keeps all payables and receivables in a sampled, organized way.

Cons

No reminder tool and not enough automation.

Reviewed on 20/6/2021

Quickbooks Desktop Pro- A Powerful Accounting Software

It provides the ability to easily customize customers' data, invoices, and reports. It integrates well with third-party applications. Exporting transactions from the bank and importing them into the software makes monthly reconciliation easy. Auditing the books is easy as there is a chronological tracking of transactions affecting each item. Whereas Quickbooks Desktop Pro is a powerful, affordable software with great features and is less costly to run, we had to switch to Quickbooks online which is cloud-based, has more automation and integrations with third-party applications. Quickbooks Online is also more user-friendly.
In my experience, choosing between Quickbooks Desktop Pro and Quickbooks Online is more about the organization's preferences and needs, and less about which one is better than the other.

Pros

It is powerful accounting software that is ideal for well-established organizations that have been in business for a while. It is great for bookkeeping and very helpful when it comes to filing taxes at the end of the financial year. It does not require frequent upgrades unless there are changes that affect a specific feature. It is great for generating various reports, setting up recurring invoices, and processing payroll.

Cons

It has a steep learning curve in the initial stages and requires some accounting knowledge. It is locally installed, therefore, inaccessible while on the move, and if you choose to have it hosted virtually, that comes at an additional cost.
Customer support isn't as great as we expected and issues take very long to resolve.

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Pro

A number of accountants highly recommended it.
Rhiannon
  • Industry: Music

Reviewed on 7/1/2021

Great product, support is lacking

It's affordable for small business compared to the big accounting suites. (ADVICE: Unless you are not up on payroll and other law changes each year, there is no reason to upgrade yearly. I upgrade every 4 years.) I only wish they would stop asking me to switch to the online version because it has far less features and costs a lot more to run, especially if you only upgrade every few years as I do.

Pros

Quickbooks has countless features, many I am still discovering after using it 12 fiscal years. I am not an accountant but I have done my own bookkeeping for years and found it very easy to learn.
I particularly like the bulk input for transactions, which is a huge time saver. The layout editor for forms allows me to customize my invoices, estimates, and receipts. Inventory is easy to track. I also appreciate the customizable fields for customers in the address book, unlike some other programs.

Cons

The support team used to be decent but last year I found it to be awful. I needed to convert some data and made an appointment, I kid you not, 8 times and each time the support person didn't call me until days later. Eventually they stopped even replying. This is a big red flag to me when a company's support drops. (And this was well before Covid, so they cannot use that excuse.)
They could also have much better functionality for importing CSV and other data to spare me entering it manually. Lastly, the limitation to be locked into one currency forever is frustrating.
The tax payment functionality is very buggy and I had to start my own wiki to navigate the various menus as they are not at all intuitive.
Ideally they would allow vendor bills to be entered but to delay inventory items in the system should a vendor require payment up-front before goods are shipped. This has caused inventory quantity issues many times.
The pressure to switch to the online version is ridiculous. They even removed the automatic foreign currency rate adjustments/updates in an attempt to force us to move to a new version. Not cool! If the functionality was there, why cancel it?
Lastly, be prepared to deal with a random data corruption issue every couple years. This is scary as heck when Quickbooks won't open or reconciliation numbers are damaged and no longer add up. Support is useless helping with this but I have found tricks on my own to repair it.

Quicken

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Desktop Pro

I needed inventory tracking and auto currency features.

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Quicken didn't have the multi-currency functionality I need.
Shayne

Reviewed on 29/6/2022

Program is Great - Support not so Great

I enjoy using Quickbooks, but feel that the availability of a good alternative accounting program would make Intuit step up to the plate and improve their support after the sale. I feel that Quickbooks stands out as the leader and they really don't have any good competition.

Pros

Very easy to use. Very versatile reporting. Offers several different ways to navigate the program

Cons

The program is expensive and getting more expensive with every new release. Now Quickbooks has gone to being subscription based, so you will have to buy a new subscription every year. I used to just upgrade every 3 years or so. Support is outsourced to the Philippines making communication with the agent very annoying. Quickbooks acts like if you have to call support, it is because you are not smart enough to use the program. Support is expensive after a short introductory period.

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Due to being in a rural setting without super good internet, having everything stored on your own computer makes using the program much quicker.
Jeanette

Reviewed on 1/10/2021

QuickBooks - Simple & Effective

Of all the accounting programs I have used, I have found QuickBooks to be the most user friendly no matter what your level of eduction.

Pros

As an accountant I appreciate how customizable QuickBooks is. Sometimes you need to be able to make changes to entries that some programs would not allow you to (ie. customize sales tax amounts) but there is the option with this program. There is also a certain level of control that can be set to ensure accidental errors do not occur (ie. pop-ups) which comes in handy for those with less accounting knowledge.

Cons

Often you get out of it what you put into it. Since so many of the fields are optional (invoice #, memo, description, name, etc.) it is possible to make entries with so little data that it is difficult to determine what they were for when looking back to them. You really have to make sure if you have multiple users that everyone is recording entries with sufficient detail that it is clear what each entry is for.

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Pro

With QuickBooks desktop it is easy to have multiple windows open (ie. balance sheet, income statement, customer window, & and invoice) but with QuickBooks Online, while you can have tabs, it is not as easy or smooth to transition between multiple screens.
Zandi

Reviewed on 12/4/2017

Quickbooks....I Use It To Run My Company.

Overall the best small business accounting software I have found. I would recommend it over all other products. I have used it for the past seven years and I do not hesitate to dump software that does not perform. I own and operate a smallish construction company and will likely someday need to step up to one of the big boy software packages, but until then, it serves me well.
You can get this accounting software to do just about anything you need it to with enough time and know how.

Pros

The software is stable with very few glitches and crashes. I have never lost any significant amount of data in 7 years. It produces reports and printed materials that are widely accepted and you can get checks and other forms compatible with ease. It networks well and with a fair amount of simplicity even with several users. The Contractor Premier does a decent job of job costing if you set it up properly. You can customize all reports, invoices, statement, etc. to meet your needs and promote the branding of your company. Payroll add on service is excellent and has kept us dead on with all payroll related responsibilities.

Cons

You get out what you put in. As with all software, you must know what you are doing to operate it successfully. I am very computer savvy and have a lot of experience with the proficient use of multiple advanced software programs so I thought I could just open a file and get going. Nope. Quickbooks does not work well out of the box, you will need to invest some time in getting it set up for you and your business. The cost of upgrades is unavoidable so be ready. You will need to upgrade every year to get the software support from Intuit and every time you add a seat on your license. There is no way around it that works and I have tried. There are a million secondary dealers of quickbooks, so called quickbook professionals and they have been certified by Quickbooks to use their branding and resell the software program and related support services which make purchase and support confusing and sometimes dangerous.

• Industry: Music

Reviewed on 20/11/2020

My 2nd Try At a Bookkeeping Software

I didn't need a Bookkeeping program, I had a business account, deposited all my receipts from the business into that account. I paid all my business bills from that account. The BANK did my books! We moved back to Wisconsin in '98 where I had to collect sales tax. So I got a Bookkeeping program to keep track of my sales tax.

Pros

It did what I needed it to do, kept track of my sales tax for the State and up to 8 Counties I serve. Due to it being installed on my desktop it was programed with the tax regulations for my state of Wisconsin. When it's time to file the sales tax you have to have the complete sales for the year and the complete sales number of non-taxable sales. QB Desktop Pro always had those numbers ready for me.

Cons

I had no one to teach me, I was figuring it out as I went along, so I didn't get some of the vendors put in correctly at first. I had to re-work parts of it for income tax time and I never did figure out how to connect my bank.

Mike

Reviewed on 7/6/2017

Quick Books Pro online is awesome, scalable for large and small organization

Great value, when possible still work with a book keeper and accountant.

Pros

My business is only 2.5 years old and I have used QuickBooks from the beginning. I did my own accounting up to a few months ago as my business has grown and I don't have time to do it anymore myself. My experience with the desk top version 2015 was ok, but I wanted didn't fit my needs well as I traveled 90% of the time. When I subscribed to Quick Books Pro Online, my experience has been nothing but positive. The interface is easy to use, and its rich feature set allowed me to activate job costing features as I needed them. Now that we are in the 2 to 3 million range my book keeper and Accountant log in and use my same subscription. I save on accounting costs as I can pull my own reports which are easy to find and customize and do not need the Part time CFO(except quarterly) feedback as I can get it on my own. We will probably double or triple are gross sales next year and have no plans to change our accounting platform. Support comes free with the online version.

Cons

Subscription charges double your second year of using the product. The first year you get a bundled deal to experience all of the different pay services offered by Intuit. The first year is great, but after that it can get pricey. We aren't going to change accounting platforms, but for smaller companies, you will want to scale down to the minimum subscription amount to fit your needs.
You also have to buy checks directly from Intuit as they don't support third party cheaper check services(There are services you can print your bank information on the cheaper checks, but all come with set up fees).
Online App for your phone still needs work. For me this is the weakest link in Intuits online platform. It is getting better, but still not where it needs to be. You can add expenses now and also send invoices which are improvements, but still lacking,

Jillian

Reviewed on 5/12/2019

Quickbooks Desktop Pro makes bookkeeping a cinch!

I am winning at bookkeeping using Quickbooks Desktop Pro, what more can I say?

Pros

Quickbooks Desktop Pro allows me to be a great bookkeeper! Isn't that worth it's monetary investment right there!? I am able to input bills/pay bills, deposits, bank reconciliations and run reports all in the same platform. I even order our checks through the software and it reminds me when we are getting low. Also, I love that I can set reminders for monthly tasks and bills that need to be taken care of without worrying about forgetting. It's tracking it all for me and I just take care of it when the reminder pops up. Now I don't have the bank account connected and that is a personal preference but it is an available feature and it has it's benefits. You can also complete invoicing and payroll through Quickbooks desktop but we already had other means to complete those tasks. I can't recommend it enough, you won't regret the investment.

Cons

The only con I have about Quickbooks Desktop Pro is that going from the online version and converting to desktop is not clean. I've yet to get an import that wasn't missing something. I hope this is something Intuit will improve on in the future. But if you don't have to go back and forth then it's not an issue. I only have one client that this a bother for, other than that I keep everything on the desktop version.

nian

Reviewed on 16/4/2022

QuickBooks Desktop Pro

QuickBooks produces a P&L without any problem. This should be possible in various ways; organization - wide, per client, and so forth.
QuickBooks produces a Balance Sheet without any problem.
QuickBooks likewise tracks AR and AP well indeed.
QuickBooks has space to develop their capital report.
QuickBooks has space to further develop the Mastercard sections. To match the passages to the financial record, you need to go in to include the sections and sellers physically.
QuickBooks has space to further develop the manner in which it coordinates with other bookkeeping frameworks. For instance, in the event that an auxiliary doesn't have QuickBooks Pro, you need to make a different succeed model to run a union model.

Pros

Quickbooks Desktop Pro is bookkeeping programming, It permits a client to make solicitations and track deals, enter and cover bills from merchants, and download bank and Visa exchanges straightforwardly into QuickBooks. It contains scientific elements, and its reports can be traded into Excel. Its landing page conveys an outline of business action initially, giving knowledge into business processes

Cons

It incorporates center bookkeeping highlights, in addition to examination and exportable reports.

Tracy

Reviewed on 13/9/2018

Quickbooks is the way to go!

I manage multiple companies and all of them but one use the online version. For the one that does not pay for the monthly subscription, I use QB Desktop Pro. I love having the option and would recommend it to anyone starting out in a small business or tight on expenses. I would also recommend the desktop version if you do not have a lot of transactions going on. It is a great value overall.

Pros

Quickbooks is user friendly and the easiest way to maintain your books for yourself, your clients, and your accountant.

Cons

It is slowly becoming antiquated with technology. If you can afford to do Quickbooks online; that is the way to go.

Response from Intuit

I'm delighted QuickBooks is delivering the feature-set you and your clients deserve, Tracy. They're lucky to have you, and we're proud to be backing you guys. With this said, we strive to deliver the most state-of-the-art software on the market, regardless of what versions you're using. For this reason, could you let me know what parts of the Pro software seem antiquated with technology ([email protected])?

That's my inbox, and I'd love to forward your comments to the developers directly. We roll out a new Desktop generation every single year (https://community.intuit.com/articles/1749284), and your suggestions are appreciated. We use your comments as inspiration for what's to come next, so thanks in advance for sharing the specifics.

Should you have any questions in the meantime, I encourage you to reach out to the product experts in our Community forum. This multi-function space hosts the article above, so post a question anytime!

Jess, The QuickBooks Team

Replied 17/9/2018
Murad

Reviewed on 14/8/2019

Qb pro

Using it for non profit.

Pros

Its user friendly. Extremely flexible with variety of industry specific reports. Each report is further customizable.

Cons

Does not print payment and receipt vouchers directly on customized formats. Instead third party app are required.

MYOB Business

User friendly n economical

Sage 100 Contractor

User friend comprehensive.
Paula
  • Industry: Philanthropy
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 11/12/2018

Quickbooks Pro 18 continues to be the "can't be beat" competitor!

QB really can't be beat for price, ease of use and functionality. As long as setup, routine maintenance and review of the system is done by a qualified financial person, the day-to-day input, invoice generation, etc. can be easily handled at the clerical/owner level. Of course, your QB expert/accountant should always be available to handle ad hoc issues that arise, as well as to oversee the system and review the output.

Pros

QB is an extremely powerful tool that can accommodate a wide range of organizations of various sizes, including not-for-profits. It is quick and easy to learn how to input data into the various modules. The bank reconciliation function is readily learned, even if the user doesn't actually know how to do a bank reconciliation. The inventory module, which is included in the basic package, works well for uncomplicated inventories. Invoices, journal entries, etc. can be "memorized" to enable quick recording of recurring transactions. Because QB is so prolific, many other applications interface directly (for example, banking), making QB use even easier and saving more time.

Cons

Beyond data input, standard entries and bank reconciliations, QB is best handled by an accountant who understands the ramifications of non-standard journal entries, voids, memorized transactions, etc. Because the software is so flexible, it is easy to delete and change transactions. Setup and maintenance should be done by a qualified accountant who is familiar with the intricacies of the system. QB likes to say that this software is user-friendly, and it is, to a point. Don't make the mistake of thinking that you won't need an accountant if you use QB (or any other accounting software, for that matter).

Byron

Reviewed on 26/9/2019

Terrible Company

Good up until they changed to become a pay to use company... AWFUL.

Pros

Ease of use, quality reporting and navigation...

Cons

We have used this company for more than 20 years, now they are a pay to use company... I HATE THIS COMPANY, it's all about the money now.. We are actively looking for a better solution at this point.

We continue to have issues, they want you to call them every time you get locked out or theirs an issue with this crappy software... Terrible terrible company at this point.

Response from Intuit

Hello, Byron. We appreciate you being a longtime customer and taking the time to write this honest review. It's discouraging to hear your perspective has recently changed. We'd like to share some info in hopes you'll continue to count on us to assist you with all of your bookkeeping needs. When it comes to purchase prices, these are based on features and functionality included in each version of the software. As the product evolves and improves, modifications to billing and support are reflected in these changes as well. Instead of calling in, we invite you to email us at [email protected] We'd be glad to continue working with you there to resolve any issues you've seen in your account.

Wishing you continued success.
Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Replied 4/10/2019
Karen

Reviewed on 12/4/2017

Overall I have had a great experience with QB over the years. Like anything there is always...

Please look into fixing the 1099 piece of the software - this would be a great asset to an already great software. I would also love to get some training on the FA Manager, as I find it a little cumbersome to work.

Pros

I have used QB for 20+ yrs off and on at different clients and jobs, it is user friendly and easy to learn, which is great for startup companies. The option to export out data into excel and then customize the data as you want to view it or just export out the reports and put them to PDF and use them as your financials. I love how you can attach documents as well, comes in very handy when managing projects and contracts. When given the opportunity I always recommend it to others.

Cons

Like with everything there is always something that just does not work like you would want it to. My biggest complaint is with the 1099 process, it makes it very challenging - I recall back in the early days you were given the option to adjust the amount on a 1099, as I book JE's for accruals and those are picked up as payments and mess up the amount on 1099 to report. This really needs to be addressed and I cannot believe it has gone on this long. I usually have to get a software outside of QB to manage this piece, which is really unfortunate.

• Industry: Fine Art

Reviewed on 11/9/2020

Expensive, very little support, impossible to upgrade

Terrible support, only ask the community support like their TurboTax product, not was to get to a real person, and very hard to chat with a real person inside their company when they have to do something to help you with upgrades.

Pros

De Facto-standard when it comes to small business accounting, other accountants/CPAs understand it, it does really nice with General Ledger, and it does well with the FIRST year of payroll, but then things get messy

Cons

Annually, they want a sinnful amount of money for the next year(s) Payroll (Desktop) unless you just buy a new version of the product that comes with a year of payroll included. However, while you can update the base product, you the user can NOT upgrade the Payroll product, you have to call them. Oh, this year (2020) they aren't handling calls, so even though they tell you to call them, the phone message tells you to use Help inside the program, and to chat with them for help. The next problem you might find is that there is NO chat option within the Help function. Actually, its there but the way their program lays out the help screen the Chat button might be (will probably be) off the screen where you can't access so it. It's on the bottom of the screen, but you can't move the screen. Just very poor programing and the UI stinks. Eventually I found it and then the person is helpful, but they can't actually do the upgrade either, they have to have one of their back office people generate a key, and then an hour or more later they can provide that to you. A real test of your patience!