About Edsby

Edsby® is an award-winning, next generation K-12 learning management system (LMS) with the broadest set of capabilities available in a single application made just for the specific needs of K-12 students, educators and parents....

4.1
4.2
4.1

Browse Edsby Reviews

Lisa

Reviewed on 24/4/2018

Easy to use educational software for attendance, grades, and communication.

Pros

Clear and easy to use.
Accessible in mobile and regular format.
"One-stop shopping" for your educational communication: space for anecdotal and numerical grades, ability to communicate directly with students and or parents, attendance entry and communication with the office.
Edsby allows parents to monitor their child's completion of assignments, grades, and what has happened each day in class. Students who are away on family vacations or sports trips can keep track of what happens in class. Teachers can post handouts as well, giving students the ability to complete homework even if they forget a binder at school.
Simple and clear format.

Cons

I am generally pleased with how Edsby works. Any complaints I have are with small details. For example, the reportcard portion of Edsby lacks some of the features of a dedicated gradebook program. Also, I asked the customer service message board if there was a way to print out the curriculum expectations that we select for assignments (which are already in Edsby) at the end of semester, but have not received a response - customer service was much more responsive a few years ago.

Reviewed on 29/4/2018

We have had Edsby since its inception. We are pleased with most of what it does and aspires to...

It connects teachers, students, and administrators together in an effective way. It is a very good student management system and interface that has the potential to be great.

Pros

The connections that it allows among families, students, teachers and administrators.

The overall look makes sense with grades on one side, the feed in the centre and the courses and libraries on the other side. It is easy to read and fairly intuitive.

As an administrator, I like that I can see most everything so with one piece of software, I can get a good sense of what is going on overall but I also can get granularity, as I need.

I like the ability to Broadcast messages.

I like the ability to get an overview of a student, current as well as past, and a peek into the future re: courses and grades.

The Report Card feature works well.

Cons

NUMBER 1 by far: There are no administrative master switches to do things such as turn off all grades or make them universally the same for all classes. There are certain times of the year that the look for parents and students should be the same. I either have to get each teacher to do it or give someone access to get it done for everyone. This is annoying.

The inability for Edsby to change from day to day re: schedules - so attendance is often difficult to get correct. There is not enough flexibility to do so on our end. So the entire product looks shoddy to parents and students because times are rarely correct. It is tough for our attendance person to determine who is at school and who is not.

The calendar is cumbersome. It takes too long to enter items and it is no easy to read. We have to use a separate calendar system.

Messages are difficult to sort through (though the new sort feature is a great addition).

Looking at past semesters is not easy. There are too many clicks. A single screen with all past grades and links from it would be much better.

Response from Edsby

Thanks for sharing your views on Edsby. Am pleased to share that your number one concern is unfounded - there IS a way in Edsby to do what you seek: you can push class setup options from a course model. Our head of customer success would like you to contact him so he can describe how to do this so you never have to manually do this again! He'd also like to find out more about your schedule concerns. You can reach him as bob(at)edsby.com or toll-free: +1 (877) 337-0070.

Replied 29/11/2018

Reviewed on 12/6/2020

Does the job, could be better

Overall, Edsby is a decent product that managed all of the basics, but there is much that can be improved upon. It would behoove the developer to sit with an actively working teacher over time and see how the product is working and find the gaps that could be improved.

Pros

I like the ability to be able to copy an assignment to multiple classes rather than creating it multiple times. I also like the ability to create assignments student can complete online with auto grading. That is a huge time saver.

Cons

There were quite a few things that could be improved. The reporting of progress alerts was not the best and the presentation of a line graph as the first view for students as opposed to actually seeing the list of assessments with scores was always problematic. Many students never figure out to click on the next tab and never had a good grasp on their scores. Also, there were some features that were really handy that I NEVER knew about in 3 years of using this product, until all the e-learning took place and there became a sea of information to sort through. Although overall a decent product, I could continue...

Response from Edsby

Thanks for the feedback, Jennifer. Glad you, like many teachers at SDHC, recently learned about other things Edsby can do beyond just report cards. Thanks for the suggestion of making the student "My Work" line graph not the default student view of assessments on browser logins. We're constantly receiving educator feedback and improving the product. Appreciate you taking the time.

Replied 7/7/2020

Top Edsby Alternatives

Blackboard Collaborate

Blackboard Learn

Loretta

Reviewed on 4/10/2022

Teacher Review

I'm happy with Edsby. I hope that categories for terms comes into play soon to keep me better organized for the year.

Pros

I love how easy it is to enter grades for my students and categorize areas.
It is easy to communicate with students and parents using this platform.

Cons

Not being able to utilize Terms. I hate seeing data for the entire year.

Response from Edsby

Thanks for the review, Loretta. Appreciate you taking the time to share your reflections on Edsby for other educators.

Replied 7/10/2022

Reviewed on 12/11/2018

Everything you need in one place

Edsby has been very easy to work with. They are responsive and work to find compromises where our district may do something different from the norm. The software has grown significantly over last 5 years and includes much more than we originally planned, making Edsby a powerful tool in our district for communicating with students and parents.

Pros

As a parent, I want to be able to see everything my students are doing quickly and easily. Edsby allows easy access to all of my students (I have 4 at 4 different schools!) from one dashboard for any grade level. It doesn't matter if I'm on the mobile app or in the browser, the information is easy to access. I can also reach out directly to their teachers. Recent updates have also enabled push notifications about class updates and messaging. My students enjoy it too as it makes it easy for them to keep up to date on what's going on in their classes - NO MORE SURPRISES!
As a district software administrator, Edsby is incredibly easy to manage. The super search feature allows me to quickly and easily access student or teacher information when assisting schools with troubleshooting questions. Granular permissions make sure that the correct people have access to the correct information and not more than they need. EdsbyLink ensures that data imports match our current Student Information System.

Cons

New features come fast! Its hard to keep teachers informed of new features as they arrive and help them use the features to their fullest capabilities.

Jeanne

Reviewed on 11/8/2020

Edsby Communication Tool

Daily use of Edsby is cohesive and timely. The staff at Edsby are always there to help.

Pros

Edsby offers a very successful communication tool to schools. Edsby links, Administrators, Teachers, Students and Parents with day to day knowledge of the academic and personal progress of students.

Cons

With COVID 19 is would be great if Edsby could integrate Edusafe Screening with their program.

Blackbaud Raiser's Edge NXT

Reasons for Switching to Edsby

pricing

Response from Edsby

Thanks, Jeanne. Appreciate you taking the time to share your impressions of Edsby. We're looking at how to best capture medical screening data. Watching for data standards to solidify.

Replied 18/8/2020

Reviewed on 14/11/2018

Edsby from a student's perspective

Having used Edsby for the past 3 1/2 years in high school, it is an incredibly useful tool for staying organizied and being successful. I would highly recommend this tool to other schools for its features and ease of use.

Pros

-Edsby effectively aggregates all my school-related info in one place - the class page is the most useful in showing lesson content, unit plans, daily journals, and upcoming assessments on one page
-I can (obsessively) check my current grades for any class at any time
-It's easy to keep up with school news and extracurriculars in different groups
-Office Online integration enables me to view Word/PowerPoint/Excel documents without having the desktop apps installed

Cons

-Certain features from the August 2018 update are undeveloped, such as the Emoji confidence indicator and document preview in the Content library
-The iOS app feels slow and buggy; it can take several seconds to load some class pages or groups

Will

Reviewed on 5/12/2019

Great product

Edsby allows us to centralize all learning-related communication into one management system quite effectively.

Pros

Really like the electronic reporting system that allows parents and students to see students' cumulative learning via Edsby accounts. Communication with all stakeholders occurs very easily and reliably through Edsby, by way of class posts to share assignments, messaging, and sharing of results of assessments. Edsby has an unmistakable and positive influence on learning climate in school culture.

Cons

Messaging allows user to see current feed. It would be helpful to be able to search for particular information in feed sent previously.
Locating and linking to curriculum expectations in Edsby's Planner requires a fair amount of scrolling. I found this feature easier to use prior to August, 2019.

Marc

Reviewed on 4/10/2022

Edsby Gradebook

Pros

Gradebook is a game changer. The fact that it self-populates at report card time is amazing.

Cons

There are frequent problems with sending attachments to students.

Response from Edsby

Thanks, Marc. Appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on the Edsby gradebook, an important but relatively small part of the overall Edsby platform.

Replied 7/10/2022
Kate
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 13/10/2022

Shields

Fantastic for tracking contact with students and parents.

Pros

Access from anywhere but the teacher app needs more functionality.

Cons

The LMS feature could be more intuitive and the teacher app needs improvements for marking.

Response from Edsby

Thanks, Kate. We're unlikely to ever try to enable the full set of teacher Edsby functionality on the Edsby app for mobile--mobile devices are just too small for effective grading or report cards, for instance. We'll continue prioritizing the browser interface for these sorts of tasks.

Replied 27/10/2022
Angelica

Reviewed on 21/5/2019

Edsby is a reliable helper.

I work in education and with Edsby I can communicate with all parents, I have access to all the students information and data, I love the graphs generated and I am really looking forward to using it during interviews with parents. An image speaks louder than words abd EDSBY is an advocate for both students and teachers voices.

Pros

I loved the pedagogical documentation features.I can take a picture or a video of my student and all their hands on work. This is work that when my students would finish, it would be lost, the manipulatives would be placed in bins and their thinking would not be documented unless I would go around and had enough time to take anecdotal notes for all students on that project. Edsby saves me time, helps me organise my students work, values students voice and participation, helps record all of the assessment as learning done in the classroom.

Cons

I feel that the planner feature needs a lot of improvements. I would love to do all my planning online and then have a potential supply have direct access to them before coming to my classroom. It would also be a great tool to creating equitable working environments where all teachers use the same planners and are not "judged" on their technological literacy.

Roy
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 26/9/2017

Edsby covers all the bases of what you would want on an easy to use platform

This software merges all platforms a teacher could use into one, easy to use, succinct tool.

Pros

The all-in-one functionality of Edsby is most helpful. Grade book, attendance, announcements, calendar, parent and student records/communication, seating plans, library of course material and bulletins for overarching course goals.

Cons

The Library does not serve me. I have to reupload my course material every time I teach the course, even if I'm teaching the same course twice in the same semester. I have to delete auto-posted files from the feed that end up in the library otherwise it will become quickly over-run, confusing and ineffective as a communicative tool.

Response from Edsby

Roy, you should contact the Edsby prime at your school or our support team at [email protected] - you can INDEED re-copy class libraries, and any curriculum you've developed in Edsby, from class to class. No need to reinvent the wheel every time.

Replied 27/9/2017
farrell

Reviewed on 11/8/2020

Edsby For Middle School

Great for Online

Pros

VERY Student Friendly. Kids can easily navigate and find work

Cons

I wish the weighting of assignments and not just the points that could be scored.

Frances

easy to use

Easily accessible information by teachers, students and parents.

Pros

The program is visual and easy to use.
There is an APP so students have easy access to information AND less paper is required eg. homework handouts, timetables. etc.
The parents can easily access their child's school information (attendance, marks, etc.)

Cons

One can't do a search within the posts in a group
Information doesn't always sync correctly from our main database.

Response from Edsby

Frances, you can indeed search inside an Edsby group or class. Enter the group or class, and type what you're searching for in the box at the top of the page in the main nav bar. It will search through all the posts in that area first and then the rest of Edsby.

Replied 27/9/2017
Marlene

Reviewed on 13/10/2016

Edsby helps our private school build community

In addition to being a very useful learning management tool, Edsby helps members of our school community keep in touch with one another and celebrate each other's successes. It has become the communication tool of choice for students, parents and teachers. There are some added features we would like to see, and we hope to partner with Edsby to make it even more functional. Edsby tech support is responsive to my teaching colleagues' questions, and Edsby has introduced innovations in response to their requests.

Pros

Good features, mostly intuitive and easy to use. Mostly timely and responsive customer service. -- although they may have set the bar pretty high. :-)

Cons

I would like a bit more flexibility to customize to meet a specific community need.

Excellent Communication Tool

When we made the switch to Edsby, our parents and students felt that they were more informed and better equipped for success in the classroom. Edsby has allowed students to have access to everything they need from their classes as well as being able to keep informed about what is happening in the groups they participate in at school. Parents have loved being able to know what is happening in their son or daughter's class, as well as being informed about how they are doing. The best software package for attendance, grading, and communicating on the market.

Pros

everything you need is in one software package
live adjustments allowed on attendance
instant communication with students and parents

Julia

Reviewed on 7/8/2020

Edsby is a great school management tool

Edsby is a great teaching and learning tool, but it needs to move forward to be more user friendly for synchronous learning.

Pros

I enjoy the way a class is organized in different subjects and how teachers can be co-administrators.

Cons

There is no way to set up a post to be published in the future or to pin it to the top of the conversation.

Response from Edsby

Thanks, Julia. To capture a sent post at the top of an Edsby class or group, hover over it (in a web browser) and select "Pin," like you would "Like", or "Reply." It's there. Looking at incorporating more features specifically for remote learning.

Replied 18/8/2020
Malissa

Reviewed on 10/3/2021

Edsby for Gradebook

Overall, Edsby does have some features that are really great. The gradebook and report card are the easiest I have ever used. I would recommend if those features are important to you.

Pros

I mainly use Edsby for it's gradebook and report card features. I find it very easy to work with and like to it auto-saves information that is input.

Cons

It is not as user friendly for students and parents as it is for teachers and administration. It freezes and locks students out often.

Sharon

Reviewed on 4/5/2017

Makes it possible to manage your course and communicate with students and parents easily.

It would be nice to be able to send messages to selected groups of students within a class. Currently I can only post a message to the entire class on the home page, or send individual email messages to students or families.

Pros

Available online and as an app - very portable.
Prompt customer support.
Email notification when someone has sent a message.

Cons

Grade calculations are sometimes wonky, particularly at the beginning of the marking period.
Messages are forwarded to email, but cannot be answered from there.

Jay

Reviewed on 13/10/2016

A great tool if you buy into it

Although there are always some kinks to work out Edsby is a useful tool for both educators and students, however, it needs a full adoption in order for the true benefits to take effect. I look forward to the continued improvements.

Pros

Helping kids organize their assignments and work schedules.

Cons

The app is in need of upgrades and certain glitches are left for too long at times making it difficult to sell people on.

Reviewed on 13/10/2019

Edsby Gradebook Gets an A

I really like that the platform is available on desktop, tablet, and iOS/Android. I have had many parents tell me how easy it is to keep track of student grades.

Pros

I like that there were options for students to have digital assignments. I like the “poll” options. I like that it is easy to communicate with my students and other teachers.

Cons

I would have liked to make a way to transfer grades when a student transfers classes.

Don

Reviewed on 26/9/2017

Great investment and a robust tool. Easy to use for the social media savvy.

Significant increase in parental communications and, consequently, engagement. Happier teachers and academic staff re. attendance, gradebook, and report cards.

Pros

Easy navigation and addresses most pressing needs a school has regarding communications and tracking. Plays nice with Maplewood!

Cons

Customer support is almost always excellent...but there are times when responses have been slow or problems lingered.

Dan

Reviewed on 11/11/2015

Using Edsby

Pros

Using Edsby has revolutionized my classroom! I use it to communicate with students and parents. Not only do I use it to organize my students' grades, but I post study guides, review games, photos, rubrics, links and anything I feel might be helpful to my students when they're home. My students use Edsby to "blog" about what we're doing in their classes. They comment on each others' posts and engage in positive, supportive dialogue. I feel like Edsby helps my class become a real community.

Cons

The only thing I can think of is the mobile app can be a little buggy at times.

Shelley

Reviewed on 24/4/2018

Working with the Edsby team has been great. Awesome features!

Pros

The wide range of features available for K-12. There is something of value for everyone in our organization. Ease of use when communicating to parents is an added benefit.

Cons

I wish they had more people on the support line. It is difficult to bring on new customers, add new features, and still provide the same level of support.

Gina
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Reviewed on 13/10/2016

Edsby Is Awesome for Parents with Unorganized Children or those who don't communicate well

I am very thankful for Edsby. I cannot tell you how many times I have gone on to take a look at my son's grades and been upset because of something he didn't turn in. Well thanks to the ease of use of Edsby, I could easily look up the assignment and print it out, along with the list of grades for each class to keep my son on top of his work and grades. Even in HS, it has proven to be a valuable tool as now he is at a stage in which he communicates as little as possible with me. It is fun to know his grades before I ask him. The program is fairly easy to use, but could be a bit harder for someone with no computer skills, but overall I love it!

Pros

Everything

Cons

There is nothing that I don't like about it.