About Wave Accounting

Online accounting software that provides features including invoicing, billing, payment tracking, payroll management, finance management, credit card processing, and receipt scanning. Wave Accounting is designed to help businesses...

Browse Wave Accounting Reviews

1,133 of 1,133 reviews
Josh C.
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 5/8/2021

Awesome free accounting online software for your business that is super professional!

There is very little more I can ask for with Wave for my small business. It is free for the features I need and allows me to take only ACH or credit card payments with a reasonable fee and I only pay the fixed percentage when I use those features so I can just turn it off and get a check from a client and not pay anything. Great Flexibility!

Pros

Its free for small businesses that just need a good business accounting software! You can take ACH and CC payments if you want and turn them off on invoices you don't want it on. The rates are reasonable enough for using these services. The reports are easy enough for doing taxes. It's awesome and cheap for those that are one man shows or freelancers.

Cons

The thing that is the most annoying is when you want to do a recurring billing. It doesn't use something like Maintenance contract #1 then go to #2 or something like that it makes recurring billing invoice names that were the most recent of any invoices. Maybe I am not using it correctly, but each time I have to go and change invoice names then manually send it to the client.

Reasons for Switching to Wave Accounting

I originally chose Wave as it was free. Now I just love it and it works well for me so no reason to even look somewhere else.
Misty C.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Reviewed on 15/7/2021

Great accounting software.

This software is extremely use friendly. I like that it has all the reported my accountant/bookkeeper needs in order to file my taxes. It also has an app that allows me to scan my receipts and it connects them with the matching transaction in the ledger.

Pros

I like the ease of implementing this software. I had no issues connecting by business account to this software. And it's FREE!!

Cons

The only thing this software lacks is an app or a way to view it on a mobile device easier. Other than that, no complaints.

Reviewed on 30/6/2021

Amazing invoicing system

For a first timer in invoicing etc., wave was my best way to go. It made me feel confident without all those extra complex details of an invoice, it helped me look so professional and also made my life super easy by the way it works.

Pros

Super easy to use and very user friendly. Everything is just so simple, yet so powerful!! Invoices look great and customizable. There are all the major required features and best of all, its all free.

Cons

There could be a better support feature, and also couple of extra features to make it powerful. Being free makes it hard for the team to work on (maybe) but even if it was paid, i'd still use it.

Quickbooks Online and Zoho Books

Reasons for Switching to Wave Accounting

Because of the ease of working around with it and the fact that it was free

Top Wave Accounting Alternatives

Michael M.
  • Industry: Music

Reviewed on 20/11/2020

Wave Was/Is My Go To From QB Online

My overall experience has been great! I have to do some thinking/remembering at tax time to separate the double entries of income. I show an invoice paid by check WAVE shows that income on my account. I go to the bank and deposit, there is that check again. For the total amount of money saved, around $450-500, I will put up with it.

Pros

It is FREE in the cloud, works on ALL platforms Windows 7,10, Android, iphones. Accepts all credit cards including Amex for 2.9% I am saving $420+ yearly by not having QB, I don't have to print invoices. Since WAVE is in the cloud I email my invoices and receipts.

Cons

I wish it had more storage of customer service that has been performed in the past but I suspect that would require some expense. It only had 3 invoice templates and there wasn't much customization on those. You can't compound taxes on your invoices, let me rephrase, you can compound 1 tax but no more. Since my only taxes are State and County I found it best to compound none for fear of forgetting which one I had compounded

NolaPro

Reasons for Choosing Wave Accounting

Quickbooks Online wasn't as good as the desktop version but as long as Windows 10 is still under construction I won't chance having another desktop version made unusable due to another Windows 10 "update". I don't need to be concerned about it anymore now that I have WAVE!

Reasons for Switching to Wave Accounting

Wave had a more complete suite of the tools I needed that were familiar to me from my experience with Quickbooks
Sutra B.
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Reviewed on 7/5/2020

Excellent for the start-up to small company!

So far it has been a good experience overall. I haven’t had any issues. I haven’t had very much interaction with customer service other than the initial consultation Coach and the vetting process situation.

Pros

Love this product because of the cost! Free! So many great tools that it offers to include invoicing. You can create all of your own products and services and include your terms & Conditions. Clients can pay directly from the invoice. You can get paid the same day if you attach your business card to your account. It has a payroll feature as well for an additional charge. I love the fact that the reporting is so simple and easy to read. I would highly recommend purchasing this set up package. It comes with consultations and assistance to work through all the process of setting up your account and different categories specific to your business. It was definitely worth the extra money spent. I also like the fact that there are apps available to send invoices if you are away from the office. Also, you can upload receipts directly from wherever you are by simply taking a picture and categorizing it on the spot. No more having to deal with Receipts in the shoebox LOL.

Cons

On the Invoicing I wish there was an option to add tipping. Our clients like to add a tips for our service and while Square offers this feature, Wave does not. There was a weird vetting process that nobody told me about and at first I thought it was a scam and I didn’t reply. But then I confirmed with the consultant I had been working with and they verified that this was in fact something that I had to go through. It seemed kind of sketchy at first, but it had validity with regards to the financial process.

• Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 3/12/2019

Wonderful accounting software for starting and growing a service business

I haven't gone through a tax season with my business yet, but I have been an independent consultant and I anticipate having everything tracked in Wave is going to help me out a lot come April. It's so easy to use and I can focus on my core business rather than spending a lot of time on admin.

Pros

Wave helps me do so much. I can issue invoices, track them (I.e. I can see when a client has viewed it!), and allow clients to make payments directly through the invoice. I can also customize my invoice, which is great. I could do all of this from day 1. I'm a solopreneur and launched my business this summer. I was able to issue professional invoices from day 1 and track my expenses using their receipts app. The other thing I love about Wave is that they are very interested in feedback from their customers. I've had a few interactions with them and it's always been really pleasant. It's also free which helps me out a lot. I do use the credit card payments, which has a fee like any other service would.

Cons

Their mobile app could use some work, and I've given them this feedback. The receipts app is great to take pictures really quickly, but I generally have to use the browser to do anything else.

Quickbooks Online and FreshBooks

Reasons for Choosing Wave Accounting

I needed something professional and long term.

Reasons for Switching to Wave Accounting

The core software was pricey and I could have easily used Word and Excel and if I wanted a 'free' option. I also didn't need all the bells and whistles, so paying so much for this service didn't make sense for me.
Summer A.
  • Industry: Import & Export

Reviewed on 23/1/2021

Robust, invaluable & very stable

It has been a Godsend and I have used it extensively to track payments due, and alto send professional looking invoices & receipts.

Pros

1. Highly stable. Doesn't glitch.
2. Mobile App available
3. Invoices are totally editable and can add your own logo
4. Reminds you of overdue bill & you can send a reminder
5. Can do both estimates & invoices.
6. Receipts can be sent.
7. Payment can be made by multiple sources & at different times, which automatically deducts from the bill.
8. It's really easy to use
9. Invoices are downloadable in pdf format
10.Free version have me extensive functionality that I have been so grateful for

Cons

Free version doesn't allow for credit card processing (which is fair)
Really I have loved using this software and have not had issues.
The only thing is I think that they will soon bump users off that are not based in the USA / Canada. Which will be really sad.

FreshBooks

It was free.
Jeff M.
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 31/3/2021

Great Invoicing and Payment platform, But Not for Full Bookkeeping & Financial Management

I take Wave for its good point and have since 2015, and excellent billing, invoicing and payment processing system. It has added value through its Wave Money expansion as well. I don't fault this system for not being a quality bookkeeping platform, it is what it is and I still recommend it to clients and colleagues all the time.

Pros

This system has a really full featured billing and invoicing system that I have used for years and would recommend to any small business.

Cons

This system is not cut out for bookkeeping. Innovation attempts create confusion and many basic reporting features are either excluded or lost value because of the report structure and lack of customization.

FreshBooks, Quickbooks Online and Xero

Reasons for Choosing Wave Accounting

Many of my clients had trouble making payments with Paypal and the invoicing with Paypal and Square were less than ideal.

Square Payments, PayPal and PayPal Here

Reasons for Switching to Wave Accounting

Waveapps is the best solution, both because it really does offer a great billing and invoicing system, but its payment platform has only gotten better over the years.
Steven H.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 20/1/2021

Software is Good - Customer Services Poor

I switched from QBO and I have not being disappointed. I am very disappointed in Waze Advisor, the bookkeeping service that Waze sells to customers. I signed up for year of booking for about $1500 and received very little value. Over 9 months, I had 5 different bookkeepers. The each had a different approach to the bookkeeping process and different advice for how I should interact with the software. The last advisor never did the things he was supposed to do and he finally just stopped working for me. I complained to his supervisor, but to little effect. Now I'm looking for an outside bookkeeper. There is a huge network of Quickbooks bookkeepers, but many fewer who are familiar with Wave. I'll probably go back to doing my own bookkeeping rather than try yet another bookkeeper.

Pros

Simple, cheap, practical, and with supporting services. I used it first for invoicing and then full bookkeeping and payroll.

Cons

There are some simple features missing, like being able to record the date of service as a data field on an invoice.
Before signing up for the Wave Advisors for bookkeeping, I paid for 2 hours of coaching. The coaching was good, but the Wave Advisors service was close to worthless.

Joshua H.
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Reviewed on 8/3/2021

BEST Free Accounting Software Available

All in all, Wave is incredible. It's the best solution for my small business accounting and makes tracking things so much easier than the days when I was tracking income and expenses manually on a spreadsheet. I would highly recommend Wave to any small business owner.

Pros

Wave is just incredible. It's simple, easy-to-use and packed with features! Wave is easily the best free-to-use accounting software available. The software connects seamlessly with my bank, and now even offers "Wave Money" which gives you a business checking account directly tied to the Wave system for the easiest expense tracking possible. The ability to invoice and take payments and automatically generate reports in addition to what I've already mentioned make this the best free accounting software out there.

Cons

There's not much negative here. Wave was clearly designed with the user in mind and with each new update things just get better. Can't think of any way they could improve the app, but they always manage to find a way to incorporate new and useful features!

Trevoulin G.

Reviewed on 6/5/2021

The best start for small business owners

My overall experience with this software was great! I've never struggled or thought about moving away. Its the best starting point for a business to go.

Pros

Wave Accounting's ease of use was the best thing about it. I needed something quick and with a small learning curve, it was the right choice. The looks and professionalism of the templates helped me switch from Invoiceable to Wave accounting. And despite all the other apps on the market, this cloud-based software was the best I found.

Cons

I didn't like that I couldn't link my bank account anymore after recent updates. There was a huge shift from the international market to just the US. It doesn't have a lot of customization for the invoices or estimates. You have to make do with what you have.

Reviewed on 26/9/2021

Best Free Accounting

Wave was the best decision I made for my startup and I've recommended and setup, as well as service many clients with it.

Pros

So many excellent features for free!!! Online, user collaboration, bank connections, e-payments, invoicing, and the list goes on.

Cons

There have been some bank connection issues that I had to use workarounds for, but the Wave Team support is also responsive enough to address and eventually fix them.

FreshBooks, AccountEdge, QuickBooks Online Advanced and Xero

Reasons for Switching to Wave Accounting

Free for so many features!!!
Igor M.
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 5/4/2019

Everything You Need for Your Business Books

Very nice and reliable software. I would 100% recommend Wave for small to mid-size businesses. Maybe not the best match for large corporations though (lacking some accounting features).
It does what it is made for! It is FREE! It is great :-)

Pros

Very easy to use.
Great design and UI/UX
All basic features, required for keeping your books straight.
Fancy easy to use mobile app.
Fancy, modern invoice templates.
Invoice payment by Credit Cards (standard 2.9%) and bank transfers (at only 1%!).
Payroll.
No glitches or any technical issues after a few years of using it!
It is FREE and no Ads!
You can get support from IN-HOUSE! Wave bookkeepers or a consultation with a CPA (paid feature)

Cons

Connection with your bank might give you some duplicate entries (the system creates one entry when invoice gets paid online and pulls up the second one (duplicate) from your bank when funds get deposited). This is not a big problem, just something to watch for.

Jessica H.
  • Industry: Photography

Reviewed on 9/2/2021

Perfect for those new to business

Wave Accounting has saved the bookkeeping side of my business. I'm such a mess with keeping track of stuff like that - I usually do okay for awhile, but then I lose track of it and it's impossible to get caught back up. With Wave, it does it all for me with importing transactions automatically. If I have a month that I drop the ball and don't record my financials, it's so easy to hop in and get caught up again. The reports make it very clear where you are spending and receiving money, and what your profitability is.

Pros

I love any website or app that I can use for free, being that I'm a new business that is trying to get off the ground. It's super easy to use to keep tracking of expenses and money received. There are a lot of features that I don't use, as I mostly use it for the Accounting -> Transactions. It easily keeps track of my cash flow, my profit & loss, and I can easily see where my money is coming from and going to. You can hook up your bank account to have the transactions pulled directly from there, so you don't have to worry about forgetting to enter specific transactions. I'm really bad at bookkeeping and keeping track of numbers, so I love that it makes it pretty much foolproof for me, being that it's such an important part of business.

Cons

It can be glitchy at times. I had problems with my transactions imported from my connected bank account, and then when I tried to remove the account and re-connect it, I received error messages. I had to manually track transactions for several weeks - it has finally linked back up. It also is a little bit confusing while getting it set up, because the different categories they supply to begin with are numerous, and some are very similar. They do provide an explanation of each, and you're able to customize that however you see fit, but I struggled with figuring out what categories I needed. It would have been really nice to be able to select your industry and have relevant categories shown.

Nicholas S.
  • Industry: Government Administration

Reviewed on 12/4/2019

Accounting Without the Fees

Overall, it's my Go-To Accounting software for my business and personal reselling. My accountant loves the profit and loss statements, balance sheets, etc. when it comes tax time.

They need to be on your list if you're looking for a business or personal option.

Pros

I've been using Wave long before their new long, Wave Apps update and so much more. What I love about the company and the software is that they continue to improve on and grow the free part of the offering. I use it for my business and my personal reselling business. For both accounts, I don't pay a single dime. They have paid options for Payroll, banking, personal accountants, etc. but I haven't needed to utilize them. I love that the options exist for those that want it.

I had previously used GoDaddy Bookeeping, and I'm so glad I don't have to go back. Wave Accounting allows me to sync my PayPal account in for free, and it automatically brings in new transactions as they occurr.

Cons

My only real gripe was that I couldn't sync my bank with them. This was my issue however as I used a local bank that had 5 branches in the country, so it made sense that they didn't have the integration. That bank has now been bought and my new bank syncs without issue!

Sourav K.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 12/10/2018

The best accounting software for startups and freelancers

This is the only accounting software I use and have used over the years for my business so I could say it has solved a huge business problem for me, Acoounting.

Pros

The experience with Wave has been awesome. When I first came accross this software I could not believe the fact that they were giving this away for free, everything except the payroll feature of this software was free. Invoicing, unlimited ledgers, journal entries, cashbook, p/l account, balance sheet and beautiful charts to report finances over a period. Being a the owner of a small company and a freelancer Wave has been a life saver against all the expensive accouting software out there.

Cons

To be honest there is nothing I would like to complain about but since I want to unbiased there is just one thing they could improve on and that is the time taken to save new transactions is a bit slow and the UI looks terrible on mobile. That is to say it is not mobile friendly, and they do not have a native application for mobile as well.

Kili T.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 3/3/2020

Easiest Free Accounting Software I Have Found

I was very positive. I was able to get my accounting done for my consulting business done fairly easily.

Pros

This software is perfect for freelancers and consultants. I can important my transactions from my bank and categorize them, just like with paid plans, but for free. Since it is free, I expected customer service to be non-existent, but they do respond and resolve issues through their messaging system. You can also share info with your accountant. Great value!

Cons

I like most features other than the fact that I cannot categorize items as an expense if money is coming in, which would be helpful for bank trial deposits and such, but I'm sure there are other ways of doing it.

ZipBooks and QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Reasons for Choosing Wave Accounting

Quickbooks continues to raise their monthly prices, and the one-time fee options are hard to find.

Reasons for Switching to Wave Accounting

Easiest to use for the money, best value.
Luis M.

Reviewed on 10/11/2020

Great software for beginners

Overall Wave has been a tremendous software for us. It has helped us to grow and understand our finances. It has helped us to better understand our business income and expenses to better forecast for the future.

Pros

Since the software is mostly free to use it's phenomenal for the beginning business owner. As a business owner this software has helped us to grow and understand our business finances very simply and easily.

Cons

The lack of mobile friendliness. Although there is an app for invoicing, an app for EVERYTHING would be better. You should be able to use an app to view and control everything you can from the web platform.

Martha W.
  • Industry: Events Services

Reviewed on 1/6/2019

Great Invoicing & Account Software

It's been great! The support is helpful but rarely needed because the system is so easy to use. I highly recommend it.

Pros

Wave is AMAZING! When I first started our business I looked high and low for a simple to use, elegantly designed, and inexpensive option for invoicing and Wave was the only one I found that hit all the marks. They have a sleek, beautiful design that is easy to use even for beginners and the software works extremely well for small-medium size businesses. They also offer seamless online payments, reminders, & payroll if needed. Overall we have been very happy with the program.

Cons

Not as many accountants are comfortable using anything other than quickbooks at this point but I've found the pro's far outweigh this con.

Reviewed on 11/11/2017

Provides basic accounting with the best price (none!) and functions 95% of the time.

It's no cost and it helps me keep track of where my money is going, and provides reports for taxes at the end of the year.

Pros

The cost
The relative ease of use
Easy to understand reports
Helpful for end of year taxes and business financial review
It's great that it imports directly from my bank account so I don't miss accounting

Cons

Customer support is only via Email with the free version. While it imports most of the time, about once a month I have to wait a week before it integrates my bank transactions. Every now and then it duplicates entries and I have to watch for that. It also offers no directions on what accounting terms mean. I am a small business owner with no accounting experience - a little help in that department would be nice.

Reviewed on 29/9/2020

Best Accounting Software thats FREE

As a freelancer and someone that's not great with financial accounting, wave has really made it easy and effortless to track my sales, expenses, and create professional looking estimates and invoices. Moreover, its super easy to send clients payment reminders which makes it less awkward, and increases the likelihood of getting paid on time.

Pros

Apart from the fact that you can use all the features (except for online payments) for free, the features itself are great. The app has everything you could possibly need to run your own business - even if you're a financial dummy like me. Makes everything super easy!

Cons

I wish there were more options in the invoicing section. For example, if I wanted to add optional line items in an estimate, or split payments.

Invoicely and Invoice Ninja

More features for free

Invoicely

More features for free
Gillian C.

Reviewed on 7/2/2018

Excellent product for tiny businesses

It provides all my invoicing, expense tracking and tax reporting needed for my business.

Pros

I have a business with just me for staffing. I needed accounting software, but didn't want Quickbooks (overkill for my small business). After searching and finding this (free of all things) option, I tried it out and haven't looked elsewhere since.

This is probably the only product where I've actually read the Terms and Conditions (they're fun to read). Aside from that, they make the accounting easy, are always upgrading and improving their offerings and provide responsive customer support.

It is quite robust and if you have a bigger business, they offer more for your needs (there may be fees involved at that point).

Cons

Slower to receive bank payments.
I can accept payments through Wave for a transaction fee. Credit card transactions have a higher fee and show up in my account fairly quick. The bank payment transaction fees are lower, but it does take 5+ days from my client paying to my receiving the funds in my account.

Joshua E.

Reviewed on 7/3/2018

I love wave! I could not do business without it. It's easy to use, fast, and efficient.

I can easily keep track of my sales. The invoices are customizable and can be emailed straight from the program. Everything looks very professional and makes record keeping so easy. I can easily turn the online payment off or on as needed, which is important for a small business although I do love the ability to have my customers pay online if they need to. I truly love that my business stays organized because of Wave. Can you tell I'm a huge fan?

Pros

I can easily keep track of my expenses and my sales. I know exactly where my business stands financially and have easily-accessed records to prove it all.

Cons

I do with the app worked more like the website so maybe in the future, the two will be more alike. That's really the only area for improvement I can think of.

Ruffina F.

Reviewed on 19/11/2019

Excellent and free accounting software!

I switched from expensive Quickbooks to Wave and found it so easy to use.

Pros

Easy to use, consumer-friendly interface. I like that it was all online, allowing me easy access anywhere and across all devices. And it was free! A key feature I enjoy is a view of my financials at a glance. There are always graphics generated giving you a snapshot of your company at the moment. Plus, it’s easy to get your accounting reports.

Cons

Nothing to dislike about this software. It was a breeze right from the start. I was able to teach myself how to use it.

Leia P.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Reviewed on 11/8/2021

Free Accounting System

Pros

I love that Wave Accounting offers their software for free with online access. I have an accounting degree and used Quickbooks for years. When the price of the software began to increase even just for simple entrepreneurial access I began looking for less expensive options. Wave offers everything that Quickbooks does but for free!

Cons

I've been using Wave Accounting for a little over 2 years now and haven't had any complaints yet based on my use and the price.