About Lightspeed Retail

Lightspeed Retail is a cloud-based POS solution that is suitable for retailers in industries such as apparel, footwear, bike, jewelry, pet, sporting goods and home decor. The solution offers retailers tools including inventory...

4.1
4.2
4.1

Browse Lightspeed Retail Reviews

Jessica

Reviewed on 4/9/2019

Best POS for small businesses

One major benefit is how easy my ordering is with their PO system.

Pros

I moved from Lightspeed to Clover and it's night and day. I had to piecemeal the Clover system on the back end to be useful and Lightspeed hands you so much. I've since added more and more of the Lightspeed system like loyalty because their tools are amazing. One of the best parts is their customer service. You get quick answers and they go above and beyond. Whether it's something as simple as why isn't my shipping working on ecom or how can I verify my website with the different social media platforms, their FAQs and customer service team never disappoint. If you are thinking about switching, do it. You won't regret it. It's made me more efficient all around. Thanks Lightspeed!

Cons

Lots of different options so it takes a bit to determine what you need to use.

Square Point of Sale, Shopify POS and Revel Systems

Reasons for Choosing Lightspeed Retail

Clover wouldn't allow me to do a website. Lightspeed integrates inventory on the brick and mortar and ecommerce sides.

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed Retail

Best integration of inventory, ease of use, I liked all the different standard things the system had like inventory POs, employees, special orders, and more.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 7/1/2021

The Point of Sale solution

Overall, the software does a great job in helping Accountants, managers and front liners in the Retail industry. What's great is that it integrates with ECommerce to be more efficient in selling your products out there, not just from the brick and mortar setup, but in the online as well.

Pros

I tinkered with this software and got ot know this from the inside and out. I like the functionalities as it allows you to break free from the spreadsheet and manual entry. Gone are the days of tallying and doing adjustments on a piece of paper. It has filter functions for reporting, it auto calculates taxes by assigning it in the initial setup, browser printing integration, you can conveniently import inventory from a csv file to your POS system and export those reports in a csv format. The hardware associated to it works seamlessly like the tablets, scanners, and printers. Although , it endorses Apple products, it works perfectly fine with Windows operating systems. It also has a companion product which is called Lightspeed Accounting that is comparable to Quickbooks

Cons

A few bugs are slowly being fixed as each maintenance and update is released, just like any other software. Although workarounds can be done to remedy it, but you'd have to seek assistance from Tech Support.

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed Retail

We were after functionalities that Lightspeed can provide. Although both of them are similar, the interface is more user-friendly compared to Quickbooks. And that is important for us, since learning a new tool can be taxing with the time you need to spend navigating and learning it from the inside and out.
Zach

Reviewed on 17/3/2020

Frequent Outages

Overall, the system provides all that we need. Problem is, we don't know if the system will be online when we need it.

Pros

The system ties together items, sales, customers, and sales staff seamlessly. This allows us to dig in and review product performances like never before. Using the matrix feature makes creating items with multiple sizes, colors, and fits easy.

Cons

The system crashes. These past few months have been especially stressful with our busy season approaching. The following list is made up of days in which we were not able to take payment from customers anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours.
Monday March 16, 2020
Sunday Nov 3, 2019
Monday Sep 30, 2019
Thursday July 18, 2019
Saturday July 13, 2019

We've had an email in, with several followups, to our Lightspeed rep for the reassurance these outages will slow/stop. Unfortunately every email has gone unanswered for over a month now. This lack of communication is very frustrating. We're just waiting for an outage on a weekend during our busy season. Being we are locked into a contract we have no way out but are actively searching for an alternative as to not live in the fear of an outage at any moment.

Lightspeed Payments is another spot to touch on. All told, the switch to Lightspeed Payments would cost our company roughly an extra $7,000/year on top of our current processing costs with Vantiv.

Response from Lightspeed

Hello Zach,

Thank you for your feedback. We would like to sincerely apologize for your recent experience, and we are sorry to hear you were less than satisfied with the product and service received. It is our utmost priority to provide a product and service that allows our customers to focus on running their businesses with ease.We will have someone from our Customer Success Team reach out to you shortly.

Lightspeed POS

Replied 20/3/2020

Top Lightspeed Retail Alternatives

Ezra

Reviewed on 1/12/2022

Review for Lightspeed Retail

Pros

Easy to keep track of the inventory, editing from the back end was easy as well.

Cons

Interface could be better, sometimes the photo won't load properly and it lags sometimes

• Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Reviewed on 28/12/2020

Packs some punch among the punchless

We are a 40 year Brick and Mortar AND E-commerce company that carries 1000s of unique skus. Needing a software that is heavier than just the POS is essential. Inventory management and the ability to integrate with E-commerce was a non-negotiable for my next POS.
Lightspeed does have some frequent, mostly minor bugs, it is nice that they constantly update and enhance their program. There often seems to be a disconnect between software designers and the retail experience, but this program bridges the data management needed to go with the point of sale functionality.
Product management has been efficient. Customer service has been very helpful via telephone or chat and are always available which is nice. Even better, the amounts of time to need to contact customer service is minimal. After one year of use, I can say I use this program with confidence and I believe it packs the punch needed to handle scale.

Pros

Customer Support is included and accessible
Intuitive
Useful for heavy amounts of inventory
Cloud Based
Accessible via multiple operating systems
Integrated with Cayan for seamless transition from my previous POS
Has extensions that enable enhanced reporting, loyalty and ecommerce integration
Updates are included

Cons

Frequently Buggy
UX issues at times
E-commerce integration is through third party
Advanced Reporting is an additional cost and is still poorly designed and buggy
Long waits for Customer Support
Widespread Outages do Occur

Retail Pro and Shopify

Reasons for Choosing Lightspeed Retail

We found limitations in integrations with e-commerce as well as difficulty with the licensing for Retail Pro. Not being cloud computing was very limiting, customer service being an additional fee was frustrating and that same customer service torpedoing our system and the backup was the death knell

Retail Pro

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed Retail

Most cloud POS seemed geared for start up or micro retail. Lightspeed had the best blend of power needed to handle a sizable company as well as the agility to be cloud based and utilize mobile platforms. The ability to have an integration with Shopify as well as the integrated customer support was the perfect nudge to migrate to Lightspeed
Miguel
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Reviewed on 20/6/2022

Horrible Customer Service

After making our first sales we were told we would have to wait 2 weeks to get our first deposit.
We understood and gave them time even though that seemed like a very long time to wait for a startup.
Unfortunately we never got out money. We were not informed anything was wrong and only when we realized we should have been paid by then did we call and ask what was wrong. We did the run-around with their support team for more than a week and STILL have not gotten paid. They are very bad at response time and when you sit on the phone you can't talk to anyone except a support member who knows nothing beyond how to help with the software. Good luck getting an email to anyone in the payments office or even have anyone in the office on a random Monday because it's a "holiday"?
We had to threaten twice that we would be moving companies before we got any sort of reassurance we would be helped within the next day. We have had to close our shop for a week now losing sales and making our potential investors skeptical of our business because of Lightspeed's mess up.

Pros

The System was very use friendly and I am sad to say I will have to go with another company because the customer service was so poor.

Cons

Customer service is worse than anything we have experienced with more than 20 years in running a business.

Epos Now and GoDaddy Website Builder

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed Retail

Functionality and features. Retail and E-com in one package.

Response from Lightspeed

Hi Miguel,

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you were less than satisfied with your recent experience with Lightspeed. It is our utmost priority to provide products and services that allow our customers to focus on running their businesses with ease. Someone will be reaching out to you once more to discuss your request further and any next steps.

Lightspeed Commerce

Replied 23/6/2022
Nerissa

Reviewed on 29/9/2022

Great for Retail

Pros

We have been using Lightspeed for our retail firearm business and this has been very helpful for us in monitoring our sales and inventory. This is great for small businesses like us and priced reasonably.

Cons

None that i can think of. Lightspeed has been great for our business.

Square Point of Sale

Better in inventory management, control and audit for Lightspeed

Square Point of Sale

Better in inventory management, control and audit for Lightspeed

Reviewed on 9/6/2022

Lightspeed for retail with delivery service

Pros

The POS itself works great. Easy to add payment options and has optional fields for many aspects of the system.

Cons

Cannot use it for delivery management. The "Service" option seems like it was designed for car dealership maintenance services and requires workarounds to be created for delivery services. It is mainly a retail "Take With" system.

Reviewed on 16/12/2022

Very good software that I recommend to all .

This software solves a lot of difficulties and makes a lot of things easier. It can be very profitable.

Pros

For me it is a good software in all aspects

Cons

For me if possible make it affordable and improve all conditions.

Reviewed on 11/12/2022

Hassle free must have software for retail

Pros

Team helps you quickly and effectivelyGood support from the software and is highly reliable

Cons

Sometimes lot of options can confuse youSome subtle interface can be developed

Allison

Reviewed on 29/5/2020

Best decision I made for my business!

Overall, I would recommend Lightspeed POS to any other retailer (especially clothing and shoes) in a heartbeat! If you have been manually counting inventory and have no customer sales data, this is a must. It was easy to set up and continued to be easy to use for me and my employees. The cloud based feature is perfect because I never have to worry about backing up important data and I can "see" my business from any device with internet access. It's brilliant.

Pros

Lightspeed POS provided instant inventory, sales, customer and employee data that was missing from my retail business. It was relatively easy to set up and I had lots of support! The amount of information we now have about our retail business is staggering and it allowed us to connect multiple locations which made inventory transfer a breeze!

Cons

I had hoped for an integrated Loyalty program from the start (this has now been launched). We were manually keeping track of points for our customers which became tedious and inaccurate quickly. The new Loyalty is a good start but it feels a bit clumsy at times and not as customizable as I would like.

Sometimes inventory issues pop up when items are returned. For example, special orders from one location that are added to a purchase order for our main location, automatically show in stock at the needed location when simply checked in at main location. This can cause confusion as they are not physically at the needed location just yet. They have to be physically transferred but should not be added to inventory or received once they arrive (they were already there!). This took us a while to figure out and caused many inventory numbers to get out of whack.

Microsoft Project and Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed Retail

Lightspeed POS was cloud-based (which I'm a fan of), required minimal equipment cost layout at the beginning, they had monthly payment options, support was included, it had features to include inventory, purchasing, reporting, customer data (previous purchases), employee virtual time cards, integration with my e-commerce needs (real-time inventory), multi-location abilities, matrices for products that come in multiple sizes and colours.
Jeanie

Reviewed on 16/9/2019

7 Years In with Lightspeed

LightSpeed has proved to be a positive addition to our business over and over again.

Pros

The system allows vision into your business clearly and quite simply. From the day to day sales to the back office reports, the system is easy to use. In ALL cases where something is not exactly as you envision it, the customer support team is there to help; they are PHENOMENAL and coming from retail, I do use those words quite carefully. We launched our business with Light Speed Onsite and have since upgraded to Retail. Each and every step of the way, the support team has helped with and gone and above and beyond getting me operating thru, from the simplest to the complex. We have no other point of reference of other POS providers, but many times other they are present at tradeshows. From a personal perspective, hearing the sales pitch (what we assume is the best of the best), LightSpeed provides services and abilities well above the others.

Cons

Unfortunately, price does come in to play. The cost, now knowing the system, is well worth it. However, there are other features that we feel should be included (as commonly seen elsewhere) that must be a "add-on" application from outside providers. Interpretation: add on = added costs. Being a small business, the cost of the POS system is significant enough, add on's are almost impossible to also incur.

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed Retail

Services provided. Easiness of use. Clean appearance.
Amanda

Reviewed on 19/2/2020

Capital City Luggage

We are a retail and repair shop that has 1 location. We were looking at a way of integrating our online inventory to our retail, so our inventory can be managed. There are very few things we would change about this platform. Its nice that as the company develops, they listen to customers needs and make relevant changes based on that. It's almost a 1 stop shop for being able to run a successful business.

Pros

- ecom and retail link seamlessly
-open and close cashes easy for staff
-each staff has own login to track sales progress and customers
- can limit staffs access to certain tabs that are irrelevant
-painlessly easy to submit orders, and create new product
-can easily provide quotes for potential customers
-easy to do inventory checks from your cell phone, great for purchasing at trade shows or counting stock in warehouse.

Cons

Cons: -Limited integrated payments
-Limited ways to get content linked to other selling platforms
-Blog
-doesn't do penny rounding for cash sales (canada doesn't use pennies)
- creating a work order- we cannot add or remove tabs that show on work orders
-system crashes during work hours, (bugs in system) approx every 3 months, which means we have to use manual receipts and cash only.

Shopify POS

Shopify POS

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed Retail

lightspeed was easier to operate and was primarily pos based, shopify was primarily online based
Todd

Reviewed on 19/2/2021

Good Product

The overall experience has been excellent. I am most impressed with the support I have received from Lightspeed. Phone in wait times have been very reasonable at this point. When I have spoken to a tech they have been excellent in understanding my question and providing a solution.... at times working outside the box to create the best result with the conditions present.

Pros

The start up process was easy to follow along. Great tutorial videos and resources to answer the basic questions. Was easy to set up the codes, pricing and inventory organization.

Cons

There was some frustration using matrix's and understanding assemblies. Each business is different obviously... the use of matrix was great at the start but becomes limiting later on for integration to the webstore. Assemblies are cumbersome for automatic ordering.

Square Point of Sale and Shopify POS

Square Point of Sale and Shopify POS

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed Retail

The free trial helped me make up my mind. I had two colleagues using Lightspeed and in speaking to them both are very happy with the product.
Justin

Reviewed on 28/12/2020

Best decision we ever made

The experience has been fantastic. The support staff and sales team have been great. The ease of use is something very special compared to their competition. It has allowed our business to prosper in these uncertain times.

Pros

Being able to always be connected to our point of sale via my phone or computer, no matter where I am has been crucial. With Lightspeed being cloud based, I can work from anywhere I want. I am able to ring up customers on my phone if needed, create purchase orders from trade shows, and stay connected to customers at all times.

Cons

There aren't any real issues that we have had with Lightspeed. They are continuing to improve the workflow with Lightspeed eCom which will only make the overall package even better.

Square Point of Sale and Shopify

Reasons for Choosing Lightspeed Retail

We needed something easy to use, something cloud based, and the ability to completely integrate with our website. Lightspeed made this possible for us overnight.

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed Retail

Shopify seems to be build for a website instead of a retail brick and mortar shop with a website. Lightspeed is perfect for a retailer who wants to take their business online and grow.

Reviewed on 14/1/2021

A great system overall

Pros

The ease of use for my staff is great. We also love the ability to add purchase orders and receive them with ease. Our old system did not have this. I also like that it has great inventory management. We just did a recent inventory count and that went so much easier than in years past. Also, the reporting is overall very good. It gives you a good insight into your data.

Cons

The Ecom side could use a lot of work. I would love to see a better way to do discounts and markdowns. The way it is set up now is very complicated and makes it a lot harder for us retailers to use. For the retail side, I would love to see a green light button on both the email receipt and email purchase order side. Sometimes I click send email but I can't remember if I actually hit send. A Green/red light would be helpful. Lastly, I would love to see a feature that incorporates a discount on items when receiving a purchase order. Currently, there is a box to input the % discount of $ off but it does not get incorporated into the product cost.

Shopify POS, Vend and Heartland Retail

Shopify POS, Vend and Heartland Retail
Carole

Reviewed on 30/12/2019

Lightspeed issues

not horrible not great

Pros

it's pretty easy, the inventory entering is easy, sales are easy. Reports are good, although none of them integrate, you have to pull 3-4 reports to get what you need unless you upgrade to way more $

Cons

This is an app based program, so there are definite issues using this with an iPad, which is how we run our retail store. The gift card has been a problem from day one which we have reported many time and have an open ongoing unresolved case. We purchased the gift card from the company they recommended and they both point fingers at each other, meanwhile it is a nightmare for our customers who have to sit & wait while we figure out how to make their return or issue a gift card. Still not resolved. The cache fills up and you have to delete the app and reload it or certain functions do not work, like getting a new customers name in the system. The last thing you want to deal with is deleting an ap and reloading it. Customer service on management level is incredibly slow to respond if they ever do. The day to day service is very responsive.
The rep also over sold us the program and sold us 2 registers and so we over paid $1,000 a year for 3 years until we caught it. Never heard back from upper management regarding a credit or a few free months.
They are very responsive when you are up for review though! ALSO beware of their own integrative payment processing that they tell you will save you a lot of $, not really true.Get it in writing. First of all they will take their fee right off the top daily, so forget trying to reconcile your statement with your daily reports. You will get paid for Wed, Thur & friday the following Tuesday...so your cash flow is delayed. Way slow!!!!!!

Clover and Shopify

Reasons for Switching to Lightspeed Retail

5 years ago it was the best option.
Ronald
  • Industry: Maritime

Reviewed on 8/3/2021

Have been using CDK for many years for Maintience & Repair set opp DMS system.

Over all, I have always liked to way the system has operated, The functions and the data inputting controls are easier than most other DMS systems that i have tried.

Pros

I have always like the way the system is produced from the Service personnel's prospective & The way CDK tries to customize the product for each of the specific user's or Locations.

Cons

I think this system could be improved by having the ability to communicate with & Be programed with available patches to adapt the system to communicate and share info with all other outside vendor's and the coinciding systems that they use.
Every company will have separate systems all that are needed for what type of Service it provides. - IE.
*( Scheduling a Boat's launch for Valet Service or for Spring launch of boats for pickups ect. )
*( A customer Text communications program for Receiving, Sending or Monitoring text conversations ect.)
Each will always require some type of outside applications like those for that specific company to operate and function more efficiently over what is offered in any DMS System. I believe this to be true for all software DMS company's on the market & this is including light speed EVO.
Is it impossible to Make an Automotive or Marine type DMS system that all Info could be shared across to and back from any of The other software system types that are used externally?
I believe that would be a great benefit for any and all company's that need a DMS Fixed operations type Repair or Maintience operating systems.

Amit
  • Industry: Restaurants

Reviewed on 19/7/2017

Excellent software for growing businesses.

Overall the software is amazing and the good outweighs the bad and a tested about 10 different PoS softwares when I was shopping around and none of them encompass everything I have mentioned so i know my expectations are very high....which is why I state again...if they added in these features it would make them industry leaders and really a phenomenal PoS system. (its 90% of the way there for me...just a few more features and if would be the best)

Pros

The integration with xero accounting has been a true time saver for my business. It transfers all sales data at the end of the day seamlessly so I don't have to. The ability to use the front end off site has been super helpful as well as it doesn't tie me down to the store and I can do a lot of my work on the go. Creating products, invoicing clients, setting up the main screen custom to what I want is extremely simple once you run through it once.

Cons

Theres a few simple features that are missing from the PoS software which I would like to see integrated and would make it hands down the best in the industry for small businesses.
1) Getting an integrated payment terminal that accepts chip, pay pass and swipe options would avoid any mistakes between manually punching in the amounts on the debit/credit machine and would avoid any back end work after the day closes to be able to balance the day
2) Allowing me to enter the details of the invoices (supplier name, invoice number, total amount being paid, gst, pst, etc.) that are being paid out on a daily basis and having that information transferred to xero would alleviate tons of paper work after the close of the day.
3) There is no way to pull out a month end statement for corporate clients that pay their account once a month. Checks have to be cross referenced manually with the bills that have been put on tab. You should be able to at the very least select which tab invoices are being paid from the list of invoices on the clients account. This would show which ones are outstanding at a glance rather than having to refer back to the paper invoices that the system creates.
4) A front facing screen to display pricing of items being charged, advertisements, and other information is something I have been asking for since day 1 (3 years now). And I would love to see this feature incorporated.
5) Having the ability to offer a discount for a bulk purchase is something that should be automatic.

Ernest

Reviewed on 16/8/2018

Best Decision I have made for my company!!

Pros

The features we wanted and needed in or software and love about Lightspeed are:
100% Cloud based solution
True Omni Channel environment
Streamlined processes
Extremely well written software and Knowledge base
Ability to upload vendor price list, descriptions to Lightspeed All of our vendors information is at our finger tips, before we would have to hunt or go looking for this information now it’s just there.
Growing a retail business today can be done with lightspeed, since they have thought out whole process, and added a robust interface of features
A seamless connection to QuickBooks online.
We went out and reviewed, demoed almost 20 POS vendors some that were more specific to our industry and some that weren't and the boiled it down to 3 for all of our staff to review since they were going to be using the software daily and focused on the employee that has the most stress related to their respective job and targeted it first and secondly everyone else
We had to have 24/7 support
The most important feature we needed was it had to empower our team thru the business model we run and grow the team in all aspects of our business

Cons

It took a lot of time to get the information together from our 30+ year old company to go over to lightspeed platform from our old systems, and it was quite a chore for a small company. And not all of our information could come over in the initial installation lightspeed was somewhat limited, we could not bring our customers history and vendor history either. Reporting could be better and should be included with the base product, you will at some point "have to have the reports add-on" it is however an amazing extension on the base product. You have to have a good internet connection since you will be using a 100% Cloud based product, and you will have to have a backup internet connection, so you are always connected.
We went out and reviewed, demoed almost 20 POS vendors some that were more specific to our industry and some that weren't and the boiled it down to 3 for all of our staff to review. We focused on the employee that gets the most stress with their respective job and targeted it first and secondly everyone else and Lightspeed has done this.

Dave

Reviewed on 22/6/2018

Fantastic Inventory Management

We've been open a little over three years. When we first opened, we explored over a dozen Point of Sale systems including Revel, Shopkeep, Vend, Lightspeed Retail, Square, and several others. We decided on Lightspeed, but discovered they didn't have a clear roadmap for Apple Pay, and so we went with our second choice, Shopkeep.

Shopkeep was fantastic for the first year, but as our inventory grew (we carry over 10,000 unique SKUs), it's inventory management features started to feel sluggish, and receiving orders each week started to take a significant amount of time. During our second year, we started reevaluating all the players again, and setup a trial account with Lightspeed Retail.

Certain things seemed counter intuitive at first - if we mistakenly created an item, we couldn't simply delete it, for example. This is because Lightspeed Retail strives to preserve all financial and transactional data; since an item could contain a sales history, it can't be deleted. Instead, it's archived, and can be restored to visibility with the click of a button. Over time, we've come to appreciate this feature, and the sheer amount of data that is provided through the system.

Inventory Counts can be done quickly - grab an iPad and a bar code scanner, and just start scanning items on your slat wall, shelf, or other display area. When you're done, you can review the counts, reconcile them, and get information on shrinkage, etc.

Acquiring product and receiving it is a breeze. We can build our POs in Lightspeed Retail - using trigger points or by simply adding items to an open PO. We can then email that PO directly to our distributor, who processes it. When the items come in, we can quickly receive them either using a barcode scanner, keying in the item counts line by line, or doing a visual confirmation and clicking the "receive everything and do the right thing" buttons. Printing labels with barcodes is a breeze.

What really sets Lightspeed apart is their service. I can honestly say that I have no idea how to setup the label printer on our Lightspeed system, because whenever we install a new laptop or desktop that needs access, I simply chat with Lightspeed support and they remote into our system and do the right thing. When we set our printer up the first time, the print was a little too far to the left for my liking. They tweaked the templates on the fly, with me offering help like "No, a little more to the right" until it was done. They're insanely helpful.

Pros

- Excellent Purchase Order Workflow
- Easy tool to do inventory counts quickly
- (Beta) Import Tool makes it easy to bulk load new items, or update existing ones
- Supports custom fields to add additional information to items (Release Dates, for example)
- Phone and online support is fantastic

Cons

- May seem pricey if you aren't leveraging all the features
- Limited barcode scanner compatibly
- Custom fields are not currently searchable

Kaila

Reviewed on 27/12/2019

Lightspeed retail POS and ecommerce

Lightspeeds customer service has been impeccable since day one. You can reach their customer service team at any time of the day, and they always follow up with a ticket to make sure the issue gets resolved. I am so happy I went with a cloud-based POS system for my retail store, and having it integrate with my online store has been a game changer. Lightspeed's inventory management is very detailed, which was an important factor when choosing a POS system because I have over 3000 skus in store. The loyalty program is very customizable and modern, and customers love that they dont have to download an app.

Pros

-cloud based, can access it anywhere
-all of my inventory and prices integrate with my online store
-their loyalty program is modern and very customizable
-their inventory management is detailed and able to hold a large number of skus (i have over 3000 skus)

Cons

They are still working out some technical kinks with their loyalty program. Also, since it is cloud-based, it is run in a browser, which means the speed of the program depends on the speed of your internet. The receipts are a little slow to print once I prompt them, since it is running in a browser.

ACE Retail POS and Shopify
Barry

Reviewed on 8/2/2018

Exceptional - It's amazing what you can do with Lightspeed Point of Sale & eCom

Quick reliable and organized access to: sales, inventory, customer information. A software system that allows me to create POs, send them electronically to vendors, document all aspects of product ordering. A system that provides an eCommerce public facing front-end that is highly customizable.

Pros

Ease of use (given how flexible and intricate the program is). Browser based for legacy PCs - with multiple browser tabs allowed to easily switch between POS modules. iPad based app for portability to remote sales locations. Even works on smartphones for quick updates and status checks. Cloud based - therefore, access your business information anywhere you are Internet connected. Great support staff - knowledgeable, friendly and insightful. eCom module (additional fee) plugs in seamlessly allows you to sync retail SKUs so that they are public facing via your Lightspeed hosted website. Item sold on-line via eCom is immediately updated to the cloud and reflected in POS (and vice versa).

Cons

While the POS and eCom integration is wonderful, you still must manage inventory on both platforms in order to get the desired results. For example, when new inventory arrives you receive the items through your POS based purchase order. This boosts your inventory and handles new/updated cost, retail pricing, etc., and passes all of this on to eCom. However, you then need to access eCom to update public facing product narratives, SEO related fields, related products, additional category related references, etc.. So, while both programs are great and work together - it will be even better when FULL integration of the two programs is achieved.

Reviewed on 17/1/2019

Transferring from Onsite to Retail after nearly 10 years of service..

Pros

We have been using Lightspeed POS systems since 2008. As we made our transition from Onsite to the Cloud based server in the Summer of 2018, Lightspeed has gone the extra mile to make sure that their product worked with our relatively unique business. Although not without its stumbles along the way, The reps have gone out of their way to make sure that we are well prepared for whatever may come our way. Both the reps follow-through, attention to detail, and never-ending patience have been exemplary.

Cons

There were some aspects of Retail that were told to us as if they were included, but we soon realized many of the benefits of Retail are add-ons (aka cost extra money) and needed to be heavily jerry rigged to work for our specific business. A lot of small yet important issues, like record keeping of outgoing emails with receipts, or the ability to change a purchase after it has been completed. We used to be able to edit invoices on Onsite, and now even an owner, admin or manager does not have that option. Furthermore, if a customer decides to ship their purchase after it has completed, there is no way to alter the invoice to make it so. Or that we cannot use any of the same labels or gift cards that we once used with Onsite. There are just many small things that were not made clear that we would be losing when we moved over

Barbara

Reviewed on 27/8/2018

Robust Information Effectively Presented

Lightspeed's customer support is excellent overall. At least half the time when we experience a problem, it's due to our lack of understanding rather than a shortfall of the product. Their responses are usually prompt and helpful. Also, in almost three years of using the product, we have had virtually zero downtime and have seen nary a hiccup through numerous system updates and the occasional hotfix.

Pros

Tons of valuable information for every product we sell. And in contrast to some other systems that try to pack everything on a single page, Lightspeed Retail allocates product information across a menu of pages so you can quickly navigate to the data you want (and ignore what you don't want). And much of the information is searchable in ways that help our business create purchase orders and determine which products to stock or discontinue.
We have been cautious in taking advantage of partnerships available through Lightspeed (i.e., their ecommerce platform and loyalty program), but our recent experience with both of those has been excellent.

Cons

Some aspects of ongoing database management are not transparent to the technically nonproficient user. We have 5500+ SKUs that are constantly in flux, and our list of vendors also changes regularly. Our efforts to clean up the clutter of stale information are not always successful. And some types of searches are not well supported (so far).