Gusto Reviews

About Gusto

Gusto is a modern, online human resource platform that helps any small business owner take care of all hr tasks. Gusto offers HR tools and HR services to help with managing employee onboarding, running payroll, administrating...

Browse Gusto Reviews

3,888 of 3,888 reviews
Carly
Carly

Reviewed on 29/12/2020

Awesome Product and Support Staff

Payroll and tax payments can be time consuming and Gusto allows for the accounting team to do more important work and still feel like everything is being taken care of on the payroll side. Their customer service teams are extremely supportive and helpful.

Pros

Auto-sync and tax payments are the best features of the product that go above other products. Gusto will file the taxes for you, will send corrections if need be, and keeps track of all of that for your ease of mind. Their customer service team is above reproach, always willing to look into a problem and resolve it as soon as possible.

Cons

This is nitpicky, but the layout of the website often changes slightly. It would be nice if there was more consistency in the format. But the tool itself is above reproach.

Harvest

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

QBO Payroll requires you to file most of the extra paperwork and taxes yourself, but Gusto takes care of that automatically for you.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Gusto is a really good choice for small business owners who want to have the support of a full payroll service program, without the crazy costs that can go along with that.
Chejai
Chejai
  • Industry: Alternative Medicine

Reviewed on 12/11/2023

Gusto Lead in HR and payroll software

Pros

I like the efficiency and literacy with the platform and that they are brisk and quick to get back to you when it comes to using the platform little to know errors

Cons

I have yet to encounter ANY ISSUES WITH GUSTO ITS SEEMS UNLIKLELY

Felix

Reviewed on 28/5/2024

An intuitive tool to manage time and performance

Relatable performance experience in streamlining HR tasks with access anytime, anywhere.

Pros

Managing goals, training and objectives has become quite effortless. It is easy to find hire and reward the right talent with Gusto. It is also a wonderful online HR tool which helps us in empowering our employees.

Cons

Customization is not satisfying for me. It was not easy at all to setup this tool. Until now, some icons remains unchanged due to failures.

Top Gusto Alternatives

Je
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 21/5/2024

Gusto has some nice features but it's unreliable and has terrible customer service

Overall we're disappointed and it's caused a lot of issues with our business that could have been avoided.

Pros

There are some nice features and a sleek user interface.

Cons

It's unreliable with payroll deposits and the customer service is terrible.

Louise

Reviewed on 13/3/2024

Great company to work with

Very good.....no issues at all.......
...

Pros

Very user friendly.....and great contact with them

Cons

No problems at all with anything........

Evans
  • Industry: Food Production

Reviewed on 26/4/2024

Gusto Payroll

Pros

Gusto payroll application is fairly easy to use.

Cons

Something I do not like about Gusto is that it takes all day to deposit your money.,

Jessica
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Reviewed on 6/5/2024

Payroll Administration

Pros

Gusto is very easy to use. Employees love the mobile wallet feature.

Cons

The performance management features could improve

Henry
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Reviewed on 1/5/2024

Helpful software

I mainly used gusto for time and attendance management and I found that this software made it extremely easy and was very helpful.

Pros

This software is easy to use, extremely helpful and makes time and attendance management very efficient.

Cons

I haven't had any bad experiences to date whilst using gusto.

Adam
  • Industry: E-Learning
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 28/5/2024

Great for one off treat

They have a good range of products butncan run up to a high price

Pros

They have a decent range of products for a one off treat

Cons

The high pricing structure doesn't make it ideal

Loraine
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 7/5/2024

Gusto Review

Pros

It is super user friendly for everyone and helps keep accurate details.

Cons

There is not anything I can think of to dislike.

William
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 8/12/2020

Foundational HR Tools for the Little Guys

Excellent! I love their customer service, I love that they keep me aware of what's going on in the world of HR/Payroll laws. I love that they helped find retirement and heath care options for my employees so that I can grow the benefits to my folks! I'm obviously a big fan of what these guys are doing.

Pros

These guys make me compliant with the evolving landscape of HR and payroll without distracting me from the core functions of my small business. They made on-boarding from my old payroll system easy. They found mistakes I'd made and helped me to correct them so even my tax history was compliant. Their customer service is excellent and I'm incredibly pleased with their Homebase integration. Super clean!

Cons

While the onboarding was much smoother than I anticipated, it was still a bit more cumbersome than described. It's definitely a hands-on process.

OnPay

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

QuickBooks is incredibly cumbersome and I was often left with enormous doubt as to whether what I needed to do was actually done. Their integrations for payment of taxes were difficult and I was still left to the legwork of filing. The amount of time I spent doing HR was eating up my ability to react and get ahead of all the other COVID-19 requirements.

QuickBooks Desktop

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Gusto made their pricing clear and demonstrated their ability to make onboarding as clean and easy as possible.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Reviewed on 7/12/2021

Great Payroll Software for a Great Price

Overall, Gusto is great tool for achieving many of the Human Resource and Payroll functions for companies of all sizes. Gusto's ability to operate immediately as well as its ease of use make it perfect. The reminder functions in Gusto are phenomenal, well thought out and appropriately timed. The system runs well, without any issues. In fact, I don't really recall ever having an issue running payroll because Gusto was down. The product is well worth the money and has a great price point, considering all of the available functions. I would highly recommend Gusto.

Pros

Gusto allows you to run payroll, effectively, upon sign-up. The system has numerous features that help to ensure that you are reminded when payroll is supposed to be run (as an administrator its something that is frequently forgotten when extremely busy), automatically tabulates and prepares tax documents for employees and contractors and even assisted with the preparation of forms for SBA Loans during the COVID-19 pandemic. The software is straightforward and is fairly self explanatory. Gusto is also a great onboarding tool that allows you to collect a significant portion of information needed to effectively onboard an employee and comply with state and federal requirements (E-verify, etc.) Overall, the software is excellent for its price point and well worth the money.

Cons

The only con associated with Gusto is the lack of customizable report options. Obviously, this con is more of a company or need specific issue. We found that utilizing Gusto for certain reporting needs for data generation was cumbersome or not really possible. However, I must also say that there have only been two instances over the last 1-2 years that we have encountered this problem and were able to successfully obtain this information from other resources.

Paycom, ADP Workforce Now, QuickBooks Enterprise and Xero

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

We made the switch from both Xero and QuickBooks because we found the software with Quickbooks to be overly cumbersome for our use. Further, Xero lacked a lot of the functions that we felt we needed. Gusto is able to accommodate both needs associated with our intended use.

QuickBooks Enterprise and Xero

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

We ultimately selected Gusto because of the price point, ease of use and dependability associated with Gusto.
Tony

Reviewed on 1/5/2023

Don't Waste Your Time - Either pay for Pro or Don't choose Gusto

Pros

I like that they take care of filing the payroll tax forms

Cons

Their customer service is HORRIBLE. LONG wait times. Talking with folks who do not speak English as their first language. No commitment to getting issues resolved.One of my clients' payroll was blocked because an error in Gusto's system caused them to think that I wasn't paying the bill. Turns out it was a software issue on their end and there was nothing I could do to fix it.I called right away at the beginning of the month and was told it would be resolved in a few days.At the end of the month, it appeared the issue had still not resolved, so I called in. They said they would create a ticket.A week later the issue was still not resolved (and as of the time of me writing this, it's still not resolved).This was nothing my client did wrong. This was nothing I did wrong. This was an issue with Gusto's back office.But yet, my client was the one who suffered because we could not process payroll on time.No one took responsibility to escalate and resolve this issue.For my friends who have a dedicated account rep, I've been told it works well.But if you don't have an account rep, don't waste your money on Gusto.It will be the biggest mistake you can make (aside from maybe choosing Quickbooks Payroll...)

QuickBooks Payroll, Rippling and Paychex Flex

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

This horrible experience I mentioned in my review

Paychex Flex

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

They have a large marketing presence in the Accounting community and so I thought I could trust them.I was wrong.What a poor experience.
Kira

Reviewed on 30/11/2023

Great Product at a Minimal Cost

Overall I am currently happy with Gusto as our payroll and onboarding solution. However if we continue to have issues with taxes, then we might change our mind in the future.

Pros

I really like utilizing Gusto for payroll, onboarding, and tax management. The system is really easy to use and it streamlines processes very well. The payroll calculation is so easy and it only takes about 5 minutes to run payroll which is great.

Cons

A few things I do not like about Gusto is the glitches, accountability, and response time from their support team. The system seems to glitch quite frequently which needs to be rebooted. We have had some issues with Gusto completing our taxes incorrectly or late which caused us to pay late fees and it was quite frustrating. Their response time on support tickets can be multiple days which is frustrating when it comes to urgent notices.

Paycor

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Sage is not user friendly and the cloud version never worked for our company. It was taking one whole day to complete payroll previously which is ridiculously for a company of our size.

Sage 50cloud Accounting

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

We decided to choose Gusto as our owner knew people who had success with the program and pricing.
Phillip
  • Industry: Law Practice

Reviewed on 29/11/2022

Gusto has worked well for our law office

I considered several different options for payroll/HR management before settling on Gusto. I was a bit hesitant to choose Gusto, due to it being a bit more expensive than other options. However, the product has worked very well. It provides excellent value for the price paid.

Pros

Benefits to using Gusto:- Ease of use, both for employer and employees.- Employees can clock in and clock out using an app on their smartphone. My employees comment on how much they like this compared to other time tracking systems they have used as past employers.- I was able to easily connect my CPA in with Gusto so he can monitor tax and accounting items.- Gusto automates the employee onboarding process, making the whole process a lot easier than it would otherwise be.- Bottom line: the product works well, is intuitive to use, and is efficient.

Cons

Gusto's ability to work seamlessly with 401k contributions is limited. I have to manually send our financial advisor the 401k contribution information for employee elective deferrals. Not the end of the world and certainly not a deal-killer, but it is a mild inconvenience.

QuickBooks Payroll and Paychex Flex

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Gusto had high ratings and several people I knew personally (including my CPA) highly recommended Gusto.
Alan
Alan

Reviewed on 24/7/2023

Payroll and Benefits Management with Gusto

Payroll, benefits, HR 401(k), and performance reviews may all be handled in a single convenient location. Gusto has helped me and my staff to be more productive with our time and to feel appreciated.

Pros

Friendly interface. Staff-friendly time and absence tracking and benefit administration tools. Human resources and 401(k)s work better together than ever. The price is reasonable for us.

Cons

Payroll blocks caused by a lack of State tax information can be inconvenient, as it requires contacting Gusto to request an extension until the necessary tax data is provided. Perhaps there's an easier method to simply hit a button and have the block lengthened.

Jessi
  • Industry: Food Production

Reviewed on 28/5/2021

Gusto is my favorite payroll software ever!!

Great customer service, great value, great UI, I've referred to to so many people already.

Pros

It's like someone was listening to me complain about Quickbooks payroll and ADP (and Tsheets) and made a software just for me. It's so simple - I was using an accountant to run payroll through ADP - Gusto saves so much time I can do it myself.

Cons

The reporting tools aren't super robust.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

ADP is so archaic and the employee experience was too confusing for them. Plus, it has time tracking so I don't have to pay for tsheets anymore.

RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Great sales and onboarding experience and multiple people referred me to them.

Reviewed on 12/2/2021

Payroll for the twenty first century

Overall, even though we were hesitant at first, we couldn’t be happier that we made the switch from our previous provider. We’ve gotten lots of very positive feedback from our employees on the system as well!

Pros

I love the clean, simple, modern, easy to use user interface and user experience - for both the admin and employees in Gusto. It feels robust and relevant, not clunky and convoluted like many other outdated, expensive systems.

Cons

I do wish there were some more integrations, and/or that the present integrations were slightly more robust.

Paychex Flex

Cost primarily

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Customer support and ease of on boarding & overall very smooth user experience with modern interface

Reviewed on 23/5/2021

Great HR Option for Small Businesses

As an owner/operator starting out, I ran into problems implementing other payroll systems for our company. Luckily I came across Gusto and got things up and running g fast. We’ve been using it ever since.

Pros

Easy on boarding and constantly communicating with our management staff has kept Gusto in its place of being our payroll management system for our employees.

Cons

It’s a little pricey, especially since we don’t use all of the available features but it’s a good system overall.

Square Payroll

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Gusto was easier to implement and provided more support

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

I trust Gusto more in that this is the primary thing they do for businesses
  • Industry: Chemicals

Reviewed on 27/1/2020

Cannot enter data to meet filing deadline in 4 days, Software lacking, and IRS says not...

For light weight use, it is pleasant. For anything cookie cutter, can be severely lacking. I do not have experience with Quicken payroll so not sure if any better given Quickbooks also seems to soft serve accounting now and buries T-accounts and registers, which should be at the top. That being said, at least one can still get to the register and make entries when soft serve ice cream is not appropriate, if you get my meaning.

Pros

It's pretty, modern GUI, and marketing and PR are nice. Lots of VC cash spent on social media and GUI to promote it. Phone support folks are pleasant but limited in what they can help with.

Cons

If problem, then your fault as they say software is designed to be self-serving and thus everything is your fault if does not work. But, if you want to grant restricted stock to people and generate 1099s and edited W-2s , then sorry, there software and support team could not help and there are no fields for me to "self-service" this data into their software. I've been in contact with Gusto since December and trying to get some 1099s and W-2s created and that are due by Jan. 31st. I finally spoke with someone today who said I could email them directions on where and how to enter into W-2s and 1099s, but I was then told that if a person's name was not in their software by Dec. 31st then software cannot create forms, even though there is time to still file. At the same time, I am receiving notices from IRS that 941s were not received, but Gusto software states filed.

Response from Gusto

Hi David, thanks for providing us your feedback about our software, and we've passed it along to our product team. We also see that you've been in touch with our customer support team and encourage you to reach back out to them if you have any questions and if there's anything else we can do for you in the moment.

Replied 28/1/2020
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Reviewed on 13/4/2021

Changing my review after disastrous series of events with Gusto

Great... until it wasn't.

Pros

Very clean design, easy to understand your account from your dashboard.

Cons

After several years as a Gusto client (and a previous 5 star reviewer), I'm posting this second review regarding my experience. Gusto is great ... until it's not. When we refinanced our house, we discovered that Gusto had been incorrectly reporting on our W2's. This created a series of several complications that took several weeks and persistent calls to fix. Perhaps some of the liability falls with me, but when I tried to make corrections, it was extremely difficult, slow, and frustrating. I expected some level of expertise in correct filing of tax forms. Gusto entry level workers did not seem to have the experience to understand the complexities of 5013 organizations. The trouble continued. If you've ever experienced the bureaucratic run around of pressing through multiple layers of hierarchy to actually get someone who knows what they're talking about and has the authority to make changes - yeah, that's what I experienced. The problems continued into this year - anytime I had a problem, it consistently took waaaaaay to much time to get a response from someone who could actually fix my problem. Ultimately, I decided after several years to cancel my relationship with Gusto. If you have a company or non-profit where you know tax laws, Gusto will be great for you. If you're looking for a payroll company that provides excellent, timely customer service and a level of counsel/guidance regarding tax and payroll laws to protect you, I suggest you look elsewhere.

Response from Gusto

Hi Erik. We're sorry about the experience that you've had with us. We have found your case in our system and will be reaching out as soon as possible.

Replied 15/4/2021
Michelle
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Reviewed on 3/7/2022

Simplifies everything- highly recommended for small business

Gusto was a life saver for our small business. It removed our need to hire dedicated HR in house at a time that we did not have resources to do so and allowed me, as the operations lead, to ensure payroll, onboarding, etc was completed accurately and timely.

I'm no longer at an organization that uses Gusto and I miss it. ADP is probably still a better fit for larger teams, but its UI is much clunkier and the support less friendly and helpful. My experience using Gusto as the primary administrator for a small team (during Covid-19, no less) was second to none and I'd recommend the platform at any opportunity.

Pros

Onboarding employees and contractors is incredibly intuitive and simple through Gusto. Along with extending a position offer, I'd submit basic information about the new hire to Gusto and they would take care of collecting their direct deposit info and getting W4s, I9s, and other onboarding documents completed.

Payroll processing was a breeze through the system, allowing quick approvals of hours for non FTE and summary totals of total payroll and total benefits before running. You can't miss payroll without trying, either- there are timely reminders of when approvals are due, including when payroll dates were off the regular schedule because of holidays, etc. During tax time, Gusto generated W2s and 1099s that we could review quickly and send out.

Gusto especially shined during Covid-19 when SBA loans were being issued. They created a feature that would walk you, the business owner, through the process and help you apply for loan forgiveness with all backing data.

Finally, customer service and access to information is a top feature. As someone without an HR background and on a small team, our Gusto rep became my go-to source.

Cons

I was extremely happy with Gusto and didn't experience any pain points.

Dalida

Reviewed on 15/2/2024

Worst customer service!

Pros

The system is easy to use, but it is super problematic.

Cons

Firstly, the customer service aspect has been less than satisfactory. On multiple occasions, responses to inquiries and issues were delayed or lacked the depth and clarity needed to resolve concerns efficiently. It's crucial for a service provider in such a critical domain as payroll and HR to offer prompt and effective support to its customers. Unfortunately, this has not always been the case, leaving our team in challenging positions during time-sensitive periods.

Another significant issue encountered was the unexpected cancellation of payroll processes without prior notice. Not only has this caused confusion but also operational delays, affecting the morale of our workforce due to the unpredictability of their compensation. We've been met with no information, no solution.

There have been instances where former employees were not promptly removed from our benefits plan for months even after being notified, leading to unnecessary complications and financial discrepancies. This oversight underscores a need for a more rigorous system or checks to ensure that employee status changes are accurately and timely reflected across all service aspects provided by Gusto.

Josh
  • Industry: Philanthropy

Reviewed on 17/8/2022

Basic and broken

Pros

It’s pretty and does the absolute basics without issue. Honestly all anyone likes about Gusto is “it’s pretty” cause it’s so much worse than competitors in every single other way.

Cons

Gusto is like a wedding planner who has 10 Instagramable wedding packages you can select from. If you want something pretty and basic with no customizations, you’ll love her.

The problem comes when you want to have more bridesmaids than usual, to choose a wedding venue she’s never worked with, book a caterer a week earlier than she typically does, or incorporate religious traditions she’s unfamiliar with. Unfortunately, she totally freaks out and has NO IDEA how to handle them or who to even ask for help. She’ll try, but turn it into such a mess you’ll wish you never started working with her at all.

Gusto is this wedding planner. It’s “pretty” and does the very simple things without issue, but there can’t be too many businesses who actually care about all aspects of HR that don’t have regret somewhere down the line. After all, most people want to do something that’s even slightly not cookie cutter, and Gusto breaks horribly, especially including it’s customer service.

Mathew
Mathew

Reviewed on 6/12/2022

The People Platform, Gusto!

Pros

Gusto is the perfect tool for payroll and deductions, talk of error free tool, easy to use and very user friendly interface, I am forever grateful for coming across Gusto, literraly saved my life. Its fisrt and very easy to figure out how it works. The new hire paperwork is all taken care of by Gusto. Everything is available in one location, how cool is that! The selfservice aspect just blows my mind, we rarely need to get customer service involved. Also when we do need them wich is not often they are always ready to assist, very knowlegeable and into details, we are always left contented and always feel appreciated. Sometimes we have contractors in our company and we use Gusto to pay them, pay taxes and also provide employees benefits like paid overtime etc. The software is fairly priced, even startup companies can afford. Reporting is easy with Gusto, who doesnt like that, we can all agree reporting is usually boring but with Gusto, reporting is a breeze

Cons

No dislikes, I honestly love it from deep down my heart, my refferals are happy too. Well done Team Gusto