SugarCRM Reviews

About SugarCRM

SugarCRM is a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) platform, expertly crafted to enhance interactions with prospects and customers while accelerating sales success. Renowned for its cost-effectiveness, this potent solution...

3.6
3.7

Browse SugarCRM Reviews

Victoria
Victoria
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Reviewed on 12/2/2019

Excellent Community CRM

SugarCRM Community edition has been a great daily driver for my music business. It's reliable, and has enough functionality to enable me to record all the key data that I need. The ability to self-host the platform is fantastic, because it helps keep costs down, and when you work on a small-scale, you don't need all of the processing power of a paid hosted solution. Definitely a great option if you have the savvy to install and maintain your own instance on your web server.

Pros

I used the self-hosted community CRM for several years for my own music business. It has a ton of functionality that matches a lot of the basic features you find in Salesforce Classic. It's a great tool for keeping track of client data, deal tracking, etc. It's also nice to be able to self-host the platform as well as it's a lot more affordable than using a paid SaaS solution.

Cons

SugarCRM Community Edition looks pretty dated. If you don't have a lot of experience with the typical CRM data model concept, it can be hard to figure out how to use the system. The interface could be modernized to make it easier to navigate and find your way around. Another downside to being the Community Edition is that you need to know how to install and maintain the platform on your own server, but this is also a plus if you do have these skills.

Casey

Reviewed on 1/7/2023

Round the clock support

Pros

First of all SugarCRM has a great set of features that outperforms many competitors. It comes with round the clock support and user forums for quick fixes and learning. Pipeline management and analysis powered by AI both thoroughly impressed me. I liked the integration with marketing.Dashlets are great organizers and lists are adjustable by filters. SugarCRM is customizable on many fronts.

Cons

I don't like how much we're paying for Sugar CRM. I don't like the learning curve that comes with it, it's hard even with great support. To me it doesn't look like enough care was taken to make a user friendly interface.Permissions for the entire team proved to be one of the worst tasks next to getting contacts imported which I had to do manually.

HubSpot CRM

Reasons for Choosing SugarCRM

SugarCRM offers such a great set of features.

Less Annoying CRM
Tom
  • Industry: Chemicals

Reviewed on 30/8/2021

Lots of bugs, terrible customer support. Spend a little more for something that works.

You get what you pay for.

It's an average platform with some significant drawbacks that aren't realized until you've signed on the line and are trying to onboard it. We use Sage as our base platform and had intended to use Sugar to allow our teams to work in one system and have it communicate with Sage. In theory, this saves us time, entering data in one window instead of multiple tabs in Sage. However, in many instances, Sugar cannot write to Sage. That's a one-way street, so many tasks still require manual entry in Sage.

It's also very clunky. The data refreshes/synchs very slowly, so you're rarely looking at real-time data. It will refresh and reload pages while you're actively working in them, deleting your progress and forcing you to start the process over.

Creating dashboards and reports requires the user to be literate in tech talk and computer logic. Trying to navigate the back end to find the data you're looking for takes ages. I haven't even tried playing with the workflow builder because I can't find the time to teach myself how to build a report or dashboard, much less anything more complex.

We have identified numerous shortcomings, but when we contact Sugar Support, they tell us it's a bug they're working on with no timetable for a solution. Apparently, there are a LOT of bugs.

Pros

The system is easy to use in theory. The UI is decent and processes are intuitive. The price point is attractive since the company boasts that it parallells other higher-priced options in features and functionality. The onboarding was fairly simple and adjusting to the system was not difficult.

Cons

Customer service is abysmal.

Our original contract included six limited use licenses designed to let our leadership team review content across all areas of the system (able to view all, but not edit certain elements). However, they did not work as promised and we ultimately had to purchase the more expensive licenses to allow our team access.

When we made the purchase, the team at Sugar deactviated all other licenses on our account, despite the fact that we were only half way through our annual contract, which we'd already paid for. I tried calling their domestic customer support line and got voicemail. I eventually reached technical support via email, who had to relay my request to another department. Our business was effectively offline for half a day while this was sorted out and our access was restored.

Two weeks later, I received an EMAIL from our Customer Success rep. She apologized for her late response and asked me to outline the issue. I did so and requested a call to discuss the incident. I never received another follow-up email, much less a phone call.

Between bugs with the licenses, bugs with the search/filter, email issues, and zero customer support, I cannot understate how disappointed I am in this purchase and this company as a whole.

Zoho CRM and Salesforce for Retail

Reasons for Switching to SugarCRM

Price and UI. If I had to do it over, I'd spend a little more to get a better product.

Top SugarCRM Alternatives

Clinton
  • Industry: Machinery

Reviewed on 3/5/2024

SugarCRM Has Been Making Work Easier for Us

Pros

SugarCRM has been an effective and easy to use customer relationship management tool.
I like the efficiency of SugarCRM.

Cons

The features of SugarCRM are effective.
SugarCRM has been the best.

• Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 26/5/2019

Indeed a great CRM with effective results

Overall my experience with this CRM is great. I am using it daily and I can say that my daily work is incomplete without it. It is so simple to use and provides amazing results for reports and dashboards, their customer's support team is very responsive.

Pros

I am using it for more than three years and like almost everything about it. This CRM is very easy to use because of its simple design and easy to use user interface. I like the way SugarCRM provides reports and dashboards which is very easy to understand. SugarCRM provides secruity of data and information and now I can handle the different campaigns, create a different campaign for anyone and even get a complete picture of it very easily.

Cons

I would like to highlight one thing that I dislike about it which is its overall cost. A small organization may not afford this CRM but overall it is worth to spend on it.

Zoho CRM and Salesforce Sales Cloud

Reasons for Switching to SugarCRM

We choose this because it has strong customer support team and it is less expensive compared to there products.

Reviewed on 21/1/2021

Ok application, better, cheaper alternatives exist

It is an OK application, Sugar has stood still in time and, when you consider the app out of the box, its pretty much standard. Sugar has divided its stack into various products for marketing, for sales, for support only making it a very expensive when you consider other options in the market

Pros

Very stable, solid
easy to use, administer
Easy to implement and deploy
Reporting is good and allows fro complex reports to be built

Cons

It has not changed in a looong time (perhaps years?)
For the functionality, it is expensive - better options exist
Marketing is poor (unless you go for Sugar marketing apps which are expen$ive!)

Freshsales and Bitrix24

Reasons for Switching to SugarCRM

At the time, the other options were not developed enough. Today, they far-surpass Sugar. Today, I would not go for Sugar at all...
Julia Maria
Julia Maria
  • Industry: Information Services

Reviewed on 7/7/2022

A complete history of calls, emails, and customers in one location only

SugarCRM offers you a way to monitor all the clients and leaflet details so you can keep everyone within the business on the same page, from ads to distribution to support to everyone to work with a system to get a detailed view of what is going on for each and every customer and future buyers. This is where I can show the details that are most important for my day, whether it is my channeling of potential clients, the weekly operation and predictions from my staff, or my allocated customer service cases. The home page can be personalized for any division of Sample with exactly the right details for every user. The browser bar at the top of the screen is the preferred position, but it can be placed sideways, floating or at the bottom.

Pros

The software provides a robust search feature that allows you to search by name, phone number, and other data values that I need. A standard profile account view would highlight the key information in the configuration of the presentation card, which may include phone number categorizations and to whom the account is allocated, for example. Admin software provided with SugarCRM enables the setup of each screen such that The company wants, including adding personalized infinite areas, changing values on any deployable list, and arranging everything and all. Another main way in which I can use SugarCRM phones or tablets when out of the office, helps you to extract some data through searches and tables, you can quickly call a contact and when you have a call.

Cons

You will choose to separate and divide the data into different categories. one way that you might do this is through searches, you will get to sort so many that you can get lost in so much dating.

Brent
Brent

Reviewed on 12/12/2017

The low cost alternative to Salesforce

Its a CRM so it holds our customer data, but it fails at basic things like contract management, support ticketing, opportunity management, forecasting and searching

Pros

Its going to be difficult to provide any pro's about SugarCRM. I inherited this CRM after coming from multiple companies using salesforce. Sugar is about 40% less expensive than salesforce, and we use the on-premise, but cloud hosted model.

Cons

There are a lot of downsides to sugar. We had corruption issues each time we upgraded, dashboards are extremely limited, and you cannot push out dashboards to users. I find it difficult to use from a UI perspective, where expanded panels make the UI sluggish and busy. searching in the global search bar is odd and you never get proper results, results sets only return up to 1000 rows, other than that you need a report which is extremely difficult to use. Forecasting requires the individual to select the commit button, not the sales manager. You cannot set global quota, but rather a quota per month manually.Probably the most non intuitive UI i have ever used. Every new sales person is just bewildered by its use.

Ian
Ian

Reviewed on 15/5/2019

This was always going to be a stepping stone for us

Implementation was rough, but most of that was on us. We should have hired a consultant and had rock solid best practices in place, but we didn't. Growth and support was a nightmare because we didn't employ a full timer with the right skill set to maintain it. Have since corrected those mistakes and moved to SalesForce. So much better!

Pros

A big step up from our legacy CRM (ACT). With the right resources, it was manageable.

Cons

We did not allocate the right resources and opted to implement the free community version. We paid for that dearly with disorganization and mistakes. We should have hired a consultant to help us.

Alejandro
Alejandro
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 1/2/2018

Have too much to config and set up, rgreat custom stuff but kinda plain and boring

if you need an online crm this can do good for you, Others are also less expensive but with less features.

Pros

Is a very good software at least the on-demand version I use. as a CRM is very good but it also tries to be a help desk and it is not. very reliable and love to extract the raw data to excel and do whatever I want with the data

Cons

Much complicated, too much to customize, and configurate, the access levels and roles are not easy to set up. takes times to deploy, and cost per seat, is kinda expensive.

Damion
  • Industry: Biotechnology

Reviewed on 6/6/2019

SugаrCRM: Bооst yоur busіnеss

Thе Sugаr рlаtfоrm wоrks vеry wеll аnd іs quіtе sсаlаblе асrоss оrgаnіzаtіоns оf аll sіzеs.

Pros

Eхсеllеnt dаtаbаsе systеm. Cаn bе соріеd tо оthеr sеrvеrs. Custоm fіеlds. Abіlіty tо lіnk CRM dаtа tо dеаls. Gооd usеr іntеrfасе. Wе usе SugаrCRM аs оur рrіmаry tооl іn trасkіng аррlісаtіоns, dеtеrmіnіng еlіgіbіlіty, аnd mаnаgіng раymеnts fоr сhіldrеn іn рublісly fundеd рrеsсhооl рrоgrаms. Althоugh іt wаs рrіmаrіly dеsіgnеd аs а sаlеs tооl, wе usе іt lеss аs fоr sаlеs (gіvеn thаt wе аrе nоt а sаlеs оrgаnіzаtіоn) аnd mоrе аs а rеlаtіоnshір mаnаgеmеnt аnd ассоuntіng tооl. Wе hаvе а vеry smаll tеаm (10 реорlе tоtаl), but wе аll usе Sugаr оn а dаіly bаsіs.

Cons

Rеаlly, rеаlly fіnd іt а hаsslе (аt lеаst rіght nоw) tо synс Sugаr wіth оur mаrkеtіng аutоmаtіоn sоftwаrе. Wе usе а 3rd раrty API аs оur соnnесtоr bеtwееn thе twо systеms but I fіnd glіtсhеs іn іt thаt соnсеrn mе аnd mаkе mе wоndеr іf аll my іnfоrmаtіоn іs bеіng ассurаtеly trаnsmіttеd аnd mаtсhеd uр. Sugаr wаsn't vеry іntuіtіvе whеn I fіrst bеgаn usіng іt. Wе rесеntly hаd а 3rd раrty соmе іn tо rеdеsіgn thе systеm fоr us аnd оnсе іt wаs сustоmіzеd, іt wаs muсh bеttеr. Sеаrсh funсtіоn dоеsn't аlwаys sееm tо wоrk іn thе tор nаv bаr- frustrаtіng whеn I'm tryіng tо fіnd sоmеthіng fаst аnd dоn't wаnt tо gо іntо а mоdulе tо dо іt.

• Industry: Computer Networking

Reviewed on 17/2/2017

Bargain paid open source CRM with lots of power

In my opinion, one of the top two open source CRM apps. A responsive web interface which works the same on all smartphones tablets laptops and desktop computers, no app required. The CRM of choice used by many upstart aggressive disruptive companies of all sizes. Highly cost effective, and expandable with tons of third party PHP modules available from the SugarOutfitters app store, such as connectors to your phone system, document system, marketing automation, reports, social media, etc. A complete bargain when compared with the usual salesforce which runs inside a restricted environment. Way more customizable because you have the wide ranging freedom of adding the latest innovations of PHP code to strengthen and automate your CRM.

Pros

Open source roots. Benefits from the rising tide of PHP innovations which let you keep up to date by adding new modules for a very affordable prices. There is a massive community of PHP developers available to help build custom modules for you for cheap prices, if you don't have PHP programming skills.

Cons

It can take some time to get used to how to use it. Also, it's too bad the free SugarCRM CE (Community Edition) version 6.5.25 is somewhat outdated, and updated only to fix security bugs. Although, it's about 75% the same features as the paid current version of SugarCRM Pro 7.8.

Clint

Reviewed on 5/8/2022

Don't settle for SugarCRM

Pros

SugarCRM was fairly easy to get base-level reporting created, and without any training.

Cons

The mobile aspect is quite lacking... not good for a leader/manager who wants to check detailed data on the go or away from the office. We had a full-time SugarCRM admin onsite, and even he had trouble creating the level of detail we needed. Our requests weren't unique, we learned, when another software CRM was able to immediately handle them right out of the box.

Salesforce Sales Cloud

Reasons for Switching to SugarCRM

Lower cost (and later regretted it)
Dominic

Reviewed on 25/6/2018

A good open source CRM, but lacking modernization

It allowed us as a small business to track, bill, and market to our customers and potential customers.

Pros

Of course you can't beat free when it comes to software. There are so many open-source applications out there that you can almost always find one that meets your needs in this day and age. SugarCRM has been around a long time and has become a mature CRM with all the basics you'd expect. It even handles customization fairly well. Dashboards are great for tracking the simply stuff and you can build your own as well.

Cons

SugarCRM has now split into 2 tracks. There's a paid-for premium version that is typically hosted by SugarCRM. Then there's the Community Edition that's still open-source and free. For years they co-existed side-by-side perfectly fine, but a few years back, SugarCRM decided to stop updating the Community Edition. CE is eternally stuck on version 6.5. And then in April 2018, they've removed it entirely so now you're stuck with the Pro or Enterprise editions which are paid-for.

LINDA
LINDA
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 27/12/2021

Very versatile user interface and report generation features are wonderful

It is quite simple to get started. The search engine is fantastic. It allows us to easily manage a large amount of information. The database system may quickly copy the data to some other servers. It is connected with email and is particularly useful for receiving email updates. Several third-party technologies, like Act-On, can be integrated.

Pros

Dashboard collaboration now makes business-critical data accessible to those who require it. The total features ensured that the common perception of a CRM will now shift from a pragmatic, reviewable database to an operational, process-driven platform which will save time, generate benefits, and, as the motto states, "Do the job for you."

Cons

The user interface is not very inviting. The customer experience is mediocre. It does not allow for multiple device logins. As a result, it might be difficult to use occasionally. The smartphone app should be improved, since it does not feel up to all the same grade and appears to be a mistake. Keep in mind that many customers are out in the workplace and may not always be seated beside a pc.

Phil

Reviewed on 10/8/2022

Great at first but degrades over time

Pros

We could customize it in-house without paying a lot of outside consulting fees

Cons

Storage space is an issue and your forced to buy more storage even when its Sugar's temp files building up.

Odoo

Reasons for Choosing SugarCRM

AutoPal was for the auto industry and had limited features
  • Industry: Machinery

Reviewed on 2/11/2018

Review of SugarCRM

Databases are complete and it definitely solved some issues with sales pipeline tracking. The software is extremely expensive to customize using certified Sugar partners, it's not intuitive enough to customize in-house. The system does not do everything that was advertised to us

Pros

There is a lot of potential here, it is possible to create automated business processes, highly customizable reports, and creates high visibility of sales pipeline.

Cons

You really need to be a basic-intermediate level programmer to customize this software in house. Sales rep told us the mobile app would auto log both incoming and outgoing calls. There is no way to auto-log incoming calls and it will only auto-log outgoing calls if you use the app to make the call. In addition the training provided was not comprehensive and going to an outside company to assist with problems, set up or any other technical support is extremely expensive. They give you just enough rope to hang yourself.

Nathan
  • Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment

Reviewed on 9/1/2017

Good CRM Tool - Self hosted using a Windows/SQL stack.

It has worked well and really empowered our sales process. For the first time, we are able to easily see where a pursuit is in the sales process. Overall, it has increased our team selling and made communication more efficient across the selling team. Sugar has a good base and framework to build out marketing automation, which is driving better market awareness and sales than before.

Pros

Sugar is easily customized and the option to host on-site is not available by a lot of other CRM providers. We are able to synchronize a lot of data from our existing business software easily by directly accessing the SQL database. With the cloud version, we would have had to write code utilizing the CRM API to synchronize everything. Building all of that would have been significantly more expensive for us.

From both the Admin and user perspectives, the software is very easy to learn and intuitive. Our users are very happy with the new software and easy it is to use.

• Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 16/3/2017

Awesome product for any business.

I have been using SugarCRM for several companies. What stood out to me is the functionality you are getting right out of the box you are getting everything you need for the fraction of competitor's price.

I would rate customer support 6 stars, they are always on top, extremely fast, and even providing you with the solutions for 3rd party applications.

Another big thing is ability easily integrate SugarCRM with your own applications or install custom plugins. API functionality is quite impressive and easy to use, we have done a lot of integrations and automation in our company.

I recommend SugarCRM to everyone who wants to take his/her business to the next level, and actually see what is happening in the organization, and why.

Pros

Functionality and API is impressing

Cons

UI is slow for 2017. Need to speed up the response time.

Yeni
Yeni

Reviewed on 23/7/2018

We re-engineered Sugar to work with our sales process.

Pros

SugarCRM makes it easy for the sales department to save information about customers and clients ,and follow up with service cases.Fantastic customer support team ,and as administrator,I am glad at how helpful the SugarCRM team has been to me over the years.
SugarCRM is open source too,and thus we have been able to tweak this Customer Relationship Management system ,to fit into our current business environment and in-house sales process.And I think this is the best part of this CRM.

Cons

Average user interface. However since it is an open source solution ,it is probably very much expected.

Chad
  • Industry: Printing

Reviewed on 28/11/2017

We started using the basic online software and built it up from there. Use is up as are sales.

We understand more about the daily activities of traveling and phone based salespeople and can be regularly updated with notes. Tech work is easily tracked and shared company wide instead of being branch based. Email and phone lists are easily generated to focus on specific groups.

Pros

Both salespeople and management are able to use the information generated to increase sales and look for new opportunities.

Cons

Not being a programmer, it can sometimes take a lot of work to tweak the program to specific ideas. Integrating old information that is not in Sugar categories had to be done manually and took a lot of time, but it was worth the effort.

Leah
  • Industry: Wholesale

Reviewed on 28/11/2017

I like SugarCRM, we use it in my workplace for many applications

An easy way for a business to manage their customers. It can be as custom or out of the box as they want to make it.

Pros

I like that I can add lots of features and functionality myself, including whole new custom modules. As my workplace deals with lots of custom items Sugar fills our custom needs. Our reseller has been fantastic in keeping that custom functionality.

Cons

I dislike that we are able to edit default field formulas at all without an easy "restore." I think this makes it easy for a developer to make a small mistake that can cause the instance to stop being "upgrade safe." I wish customizing the color, notifications and "logos" were easy to change in an ondemand instance. I also want the global search function to be more consistent.

François
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Reviewed on 13/2/2018

Free has value

Great tool to manage relations with customers and follow-ups, brought some visibility where it was lacking.

Pros

Extremely configurable, vastly customizable, lots of modules available, large online community, free version.

Cons

The only sad part about it is that all the captions used for drop-down lists (Or radio buttons or any multiple choice controls) are stored straight to PHP pages and not in the database (So in MySql you end up having only keys but no trace of the long values). There is some workaround (Nightly job to extract and copy those in a table), but it's a hassle.

Ryan

Reviewed on 7/11/2016

Very Customizable CRM software.

We use CRM to track our sales leads, current customer support and create mass mailing lists. It is a very powerful tool when used correctly.

Pros

It is a very robust systems that can be used for tracking customer support, sales and contact management.

Cons

Because of it customizable nature, it can be set up incorrectly by the end user. For this reason, it is very important to have someone in house that is very Sugar savvy to ensure it works the way you need it to. When updates are delivered, it commonly knocked us down for a few days while we implemented changes to make everything work again.

Reviewed on 18/7/2017

Lot of tinker around and slow hosting

It was a great place to store leadscontacts/and track opportunity pipelines

Pros

It has very comprehensive help docs and the answer was always available. It offered a lot of customization with little experience in managing CRM.s

Cons

It was very very slow when running through Sugar's own servers. We had to pay a 3rd party to host this elsewhere which was lame because we were not managing very many people of leads.

Not ideal for cold calling, it was pretty clunky to track many calls per day.

Some of the more intense marketing automation stuff was not very intuitive, they made up a lot of their own language and had some annoying steps to get things done that were not always clear.