About DrChrono

DrChrono’s iPad and iPhone compatible EHR and medical billing platform allows medical practices and healthcare providers to manage patient intake, patient care, clinical charting, billing and revenue cycle management. It includes...

Browse DrChrono Reviews

Amy S.

Reviewed on 14/1/2021

Massage Therapist Employee at a Chiropractic Clinic

I trust the business savvy of the Chiropractor that I worked for while using this software. He did his research and chose this software despite that it is less catered to a Chiropractic office than a medical doctor's office. There are many good aspects to it. It is ultimately more than what I would need as a Massage Therapist and not enough of what I would need. It was ideal to have it for my notes while being an employee, however. I wish all software had such wonderfully customized SOAP notes!

Pros

The SOAP notes were amazing. Being able to customize how to use them in terms of using intensity number scales, images, drop menus for frequently address muscles and more. It would also flood notes from a previous session, since there are often a lot of similarities, while allowing for easy changes to everything that could have been different that session. Well through thew, easy to use. The best SOAP notes I have ever used from Millennium (2 versions), Clinic Sense, MassageBook, Vagaro & Mind Body. Dr. Chrono is a land slide winner.

Cons

1) The system does not allow for varying appointment times for different types of practitioners. For instance, clients trying to schedule a 10min chiropractic adjustment & 60min massage ONLINE, would have their massage session only block off 10mins of the MT's schedule. (When the MT only had 15mins between clients, the client was led to believe they scheduled their 60min!)This created a lot of confusion for the clients and the staff needed to watch these bookings like a hawk. We regularly had to call clients & manually reschedule both the chiro & MT appointments over the phone, defeating the purpose of online scheduling. 2) It is very expensive at its base price. I realize that it is for health care professionals who are billing insurances companies etc. so the value may be there but it prices out many. Massage therapy practices, even those that bill insurance, have smaller profit margins than many doctor offices and could not afford this in most cases.

Reviewed on 22/4/2020

Very good, support can be faster, down time is a problem, what is better?

Overall, I don't think there is a platform that is a better "value" for your money from BOTH a practice management and charting prospective. If you take the time to set up your system properly, it will work very well for you. Unfortunately, with their fast growth they are having server issues that is slowing the system down at time. This should be resolved and there should be less downtime.

Pros

It is very customization, more than nearly any other option, although there are a few limitations. The clearinghouse is built into the software, which is their best feature. It is easy to use and new providers can be trained in hours (that is correct).

Cons

Billing is not as easily accessible as other areas (a few more clicks than is needed). Logs for lab specimens needs improvement. It needs to be programmed to be used (it is not like an iphone where you are good to go right out of the box). There is downtime that slows or stops practice up to 15 minutes every 3-12 weeks, which is awful. Support is not readily available as it used to be.

Louis A.

Reviewed on 28/9/2020

Buyer Beware!

I find their business practices shady, customer service says they will respond within 24 hours, which usually took 2-3 days. The business side doesn't care about their customer, they just want your money.

Pros

I thought the scheduling was the easiest part of Dr.Chrono, but that doesn't compare to how money-hungry the company is.

Cons

Prospective customers should know that while it is state law that the doctor maintain the records for a certain number of years, that if you decide, like I did, to leave DrChrono, they refuse to give you future access to any of your medical records. Once my subscription expired they locked me out of the entire system. There was no way to look up any record that I had written. When I mentioned this to the account rep that by law we are required to maintain record for a minimum of 7-10 years he said “you just have to sign up for another year, and pay in full, if you want access to your records, otherwise you are locked out of all of it." I find this practice, along with many of the DrChrono business practices, very suspect. They use ’strong-arming’ techniques to get you to sign their contract. Once you have a signed contract they can ‘at-will’ raise your subscription price. As the rep told me “our board of directors want to see more revenue coming in so they have decided the new prices, and they take place immediately.” They promise you iPads and discounts on your subscription in exchange for reviews, testimonials, and referrals. When you give them the aforementioned review—as I did above—and referrals they claim you didn’t give the referral or review (even though you have to provide them the link to the online published review) so that they don’t have to provide the promised iPad or subscription discount.
This company operates on a bait-and-switch policy. Stay away!
Dr. Loui

Richard C.

Reviewed on 17/9/2019

Don't buy the hype

All cash practice previously using Practice Fusion which worked okay but would not send text reminders at the time we transitioned to DrChrono. Sold on text reminders, configurable templates, kiosk sign in with easy to use online intakes, payments, and signable consents.

A big issue for us is that we have different patient types but only one intake can be selected. An intake can have numerous submenus for different visit types but it very quickly get convoluted and difficult to use.

The consents can be set to be required or not but then they are required for every patient. Medicare Consent for patients on medicare and not on others. Can't do it. Consent for botox or filler JUST for a patient coming in for this treatment. Nope. All consents or no consents or optional consents. None of these options work for me.

Customer service is by email and I would say overall moderately acceptable once you realize that when the system is down it is just down and your response will be that we are fixing the problem. You will never get an acceptable explanation of WHY something didn't work. Why did my patient not receive a text reminder? "Oh that option was turned off." But why did they receive the last 4 reminders? "Oh the system was turned off but we turned it on." Huh?

Ipad and laptop programs are so massively different that you have to learn two completely different systems. The ipad system glitches causing the wrong patients chart to get signed off.

Pros

The sales pitch is great but none of the functions that we use work well, work consistently or work as you would expect.

Cons

Getting to an old note without modifying it is near impossible. Getting to the list of vital signs of a patient from a closed chart requires first going into the demographics page. Nothing is easy or natural to find. Where do I find lab results? Oh, might be under lab order, or incoming faxes, or documents. Labs are ordered old to new so once I click I then have to scroll to the bottom of a page to find last weeks labs. Click away and back then restart the process. I just put in a controlled script and got an error, "couldn't contact escripts", put in again and the pharmacy calls confirming to dispense twice. Controlled scripts go to the pharmacy without making it into the record. Searching controlled scripts given out does not work in any useful way. Text reminders can be set but half the time they don't go out. Patients complain they didn't get a reminder and appointments are missed. Try to collect a late fee on a patient who didn't get a reminder on her 5th appointment but got one for the last four. Many times we are unable change a patient status from "checked in" to "in room". Nobody realizes the program glitched and the patient complains they were in the room forever. The way the templates work seems great but they cannot be edited on the fly. Slider ON = "uneditable text into the chart here". Not every patient fits in the cookie cutter. Nice kiosk sign in concept but always breaking and leaving patient data visible to the next patient in line.

Kofi D.

Reviewed on 2/5/2018

Good but could be a lot better

Pros

1. It has a very elegant and eye pleasing layout which is the main reason I believe I tried this software. Navigating through the system is overall intuitive and generally easy to use.

2. It has a great functionality with the IPAD and that is why it has been awarded the best system on the IPAD. I don't even use my lap top to see patients. I use my iPad and then I supplemented this with my lap top. Most functions that are done on the laptop can be done on the iPad. This includes setting electronic prescription. In fact, some things are better done on the iPad such as reviewing the records and chart.

3. Electronic prescription is easy.

4. The system has a great fax capability with ability to fax almost from any screen and to fax most documents.

5. Dictation: The interface with dragon is decent although could be better compared to other EMR. The M-mode dictation that comes with the program is great. While the recognition is slightly below dragon, the M-mode dictation has the advantage of being portable as it is used with the iPhone are iPad. The downside, however, is that he cannot be used on a laptop. However, I really like the M-mode feature and use this more than dragon.

6. Cloud base which can be accessed from anywhere where there is internet and from most devices. ( It cannot be accessed from none appple Smart devices - Smart phones or tablets).

7. Notes and documents are automatically saved in an external third party cloud base ie BOX. This is actually a very good feature as a backup to have a access to our clinical notes and documents. This is of vital importance in cases where access to drchrono is not possible such as going to another system. The downside to this, however, is that certain parts of the chart (phone messages or email messages for example) are not stored in this third party system

Cons

1. Lack of awareness of what a true legal chart is: As much as I like this system, this is the main reason why I may have to leave and find another system. They are totally clueless as to the difference between what a end-user sees in the software and what the complete chart looks like when requested from an outside source. There is a huge difference and the company do not appreciate this difference. If an outside agency (DEA, medical board or an attorney) ask for the complete medical records, the clinical notes and documents stored at the BOX account can be easily exported. However, communications between you and the patient by phone or email are not stored in the box account and not included in this information. When I have spoken with them about this, they inform me that I could simply print each phone or email encounter. This however is completely ludicrous - as in supposed the patient has 100 phone or email encounters.
For unknown reasons, in refilling the same medications from visit to visit, it simply takes it out of the medication list that is generated in the complete dictated notes. This gets very confusing especially for an outside agency that is reviewing the chart. Its is completely confusing as to what medication the patient is taking at the time of the visit. For example, if I have a patient who is on OxyContin 80 mg twice a day, gets a refill on this medication, it takes it off the medication list in the completed dictated note. This creates mass confusion. The way it appears in the signed completed note, is as if this patient was not on any opioids at all, but then all of sudden, I prescribed them a very high dose of 80 mg OxyContin twice a day. (This would be malpractice). This creates absolute confusion especially if my chart is being reviewed by the medical board or the DEA.
Furthermore, the signed dictated note does not include the number of medications prescribed. So for example in the case of this person who was getting OxyContin 80 mg twice a day, the note does not include that the total count of the prescription given such as #60 or #480. This makes a difference to a DEA offcer who is reviewing the records. Again, when I have discussed this with drchrono, they simply state that review of the medication history in the software can tell this information. However, they do not recognize that the only thing an outside chart reviewer has access to is signed clinical notes and not the complete electronic medical records. Again, this shows that they are clueless about difference of what the software end-user sees and what an outside reviewer has access to.

2. Templates are still in their infancy and generally they are limited compared to other EMRS.

3. Customer service: They responded very quickly to support tickets. Generally, if there is an major system wide issue it get results rather quickly. For other issues, it tends not to be resolved in a timely fashion or not at all.

Response from Nick

Hi Dr. Doonquah,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate the list of product features that have been working well for you. We are very proud of our award winning cloud-based EHR platform. As for the challenges you’ve mentioned, I would like to clarify some of the points that you may not be familiar with below:

Phone call logs: You do not need to print/download each phone call to log it into your box account. You can print a full record of communication by patient in the patient communication report (under reporting tab). Once this is created you can upload it as a document for it to sync to box or manually include it as an additional document. Your account manager will reach out to show you.

You mentioned DrChrono templates are limited but the flexibility and customization capability of DrChrono EHR is one of our core strengths compared to other EMRs. We’ve heard many compliments from both big and small practices how powerful they are and the type of productivity boost our templates bring to their practice. I see that your practice is not currently utilizing our template capabilities to its full potential and that can be easily resolved by our account manager. If you have an ideal template you would like to have in the system we can absolutely build it out for you! Additionally we have released many new template features such as charting by exception, which allows you to set default settings on the template and you can then chart the exception rather than the rule. I also see you do not have any templates set as persistent. This setting can be applied to any template and makes the information charted persist from one visit to the next. Many providers find this to be helpful especially if they frequently copy/paste the same notes.

Thank you for your feedback on our customer service. We do take all of your feedback very seriously and we want to assure you that we have invested many new resources into our customer service team and plan to make many changes to improve our support. Your account manager is always a good resource for product related questions so you are using DrChrono to its fullest potential. She will reach out to you to schedule a call and answer any questions you may have. She will also provide product demonstration and be able to review how you are using DrChrono EHR.

Regarding the medication refills, please note I have escalated this to our development team. We appreciate your feedback. DrChrono is known for our agility in product enhancement and we are always looking to improve our EHR quickly and frequently unlike other EMRs that take a long time to upgrade their system.

Thank you for your detailed feedback and we look forward to speaking with you!
DrChrono Team

Replied 14/5/2018

Reviewed on 24/5/2018

Easy to use and staff is very friendly. :)

Gaining great clients and having the honor to work with such a friendly team. This software makes not only my life easier but everyone else's and I just cant help to spread the word.

Pros

Easy navigation, excellent customer service! The team is always finding ways to make keep customers happy while providing excellent customer service. Also, problem solving skills are A +++. Following up on matters are also handled in a timely manner as well. I can definitely say they are on top of things. I always reefer new clients or practices to them as I know they hae a great reputation and awesome people skills.

Cons

No Cons here. But there is always room for improvement. If i can say one thing regarding improving I can say perhaps follow up speeds? Even though they are awesome at following up already. Every time I called to reach out or they followed up first I can definitely picture the friendly person i'm talking to has a huge smile on their face which is not really a con but I wanted to just throw that out there . :)

Cj E.

Reviewed on 20/4/2017

DrChrono is the best, hands down!

Pros

DrChrono combines my scheduling, EHR, and billing into one easy to use interface. It is cloud based so I can access patient records and billing from anywhere in the world. They are continuously adding features, like Stripe which allows you to save credit cards on file, or Physitrack, a web based exercise program, all of which help to improve the doctor's experience.

Cons

There have been a few minor flaws here and there but nothing to write home about. Any time I've had an issue, I let my account manager know and she takes care of it for me.

Kit K.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Reviewed on 24/1/2017

Solid system, especially if you're doing your own billing!

Dr Chrono is a full featured EHR with available practice management tools. Customizable note templates, patient portal, EPCS, integrated lab ordering/results, efax, patient online self scheduling, patient flags, integrated billing insurance platform with realtime eligibility information, and straightforward claims tracking...

We've been using the system, including the billing software, since March 2016 and continue to be pleased. There are a few quirks and frustrations. For example it's not set up perfectly well to pass tasks back and forth between office assistants who may not be in the office every day.

It's a little expensive, but sometimes you get what you pay for. Dr Chrono billing software is so easy to use, I don't have to pay an outside biller. So that offsets the cost quite a lot.

Pros

Comprehensive features, customizable, easy to use billing

Cons

Servers are sometimes slow, no cost differential for low volume providers, only one integrated credit card proecessing vendor, with higher than average fees.

Ruth Z.

Reviewed on 11/4/2017

So clear and helpful

I have been implementing drchrono EHR for approximately 1 year now. As a non-tech person I was overwhelmed and felt that I could not use the program to it's potential. My practice is very client oriented and I was struggling to use drchrono EHR. Approximately 6 months to 12 months ago, I was introduced to the representative who assessed my office needs and it continued to be a slow learning process. Today I scheduled a Health Check meeting with rep and I certainly can attest that much progress has occurred with drchrono EHR in my practice. Reprentative made the process clear and fun. He generously directed us in taking drchono to the next level that was specific to the needs of my practice. I can say first hand that if I can see great progress in organizing my practice through drchono anyone can.
Sincerely,
One very satisfied doctor

Pros

-Easy to use
-Clear
-Good customer service
-Always growing/improving
-Able to mold to your needs

Cons

-If you needed to be operating right away, there is a 3-6 month learning curve

Jenny T.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Reviewed on 21/1/2020

Good but zero support.

What upsets me is that there is no one to speak to in regards to support. I have lost alot of time because the website will not allow me to reset my password. I have made 2 electronic request with "reset your password" - no response. Then I had to submit a ticket and I am still waiting for a response. Since there is no support, I wouldn't purchase this product. I use it because my company uses. I will not recommend because I think support is extremely important regarding this type of work and we should be assisted in a timely manner.

Pros

I like that it's relatively easy to use.

Cons

It's a little disjointed and doesn't flow. I've used other systems that run a bit more smoothly.

Response from DrChrono

Hi Jenny! Thank you for the feedback, and we're happy to hear that you enjoy our software. However, we apologize for the inconvenience in regards to your support inquiries. We do our best to reply as swiftly as possible, and your information has already been passed along to our team.

Replied 24/1/2020
Seiichiro A.

Reviewed on 2/8/2017

Excellent customizability

Overall, I'm very happy with the system. None of the chiropractic EHR is perfect. I've used 3 other companies and countless of demos over the last 10 years, but DrChrono is by far the best EHR of all. I also like that it is constantly updating the system.

Pros

The software allow you to create templates however you like. You can share your templates among other DrChrono users or download their templates. Clearinghouse is very easy to use with great user interface. Patient scheduling is super easy. The live eligibility check system is great. Patients like on-line scheduling.

Cons

I occasionally experience software glitches, but the software techs quickly respond to our call and fix within few hours or days. Monthly price is higher than other competitors, but you are paying for the better quality of the system and services you'll receive. You also have to sign a year contract.

Scott T.

Reviewed on 13/9/2018

Dr Chrono review in Facial plastic surgery

Overall it is a great emr and RCM for small practices and small plastic surgery practices with a facility. Customer support and correcting issues needs to improve, however.

Pros

It’s very user friendly and the notes are easy to template. It is also a very intuitive system that is based upon Apple platforms. It is also user friendly for the staff to enter patient information and schedule appointments. It works for the physician on an iPad or iPhone wising an application.

Cons

The biggest downfall of the system is there lack of phone support and it can take several days or weeks to resolve an issue. With the new update, we still can’t send facility UB-04’s and the support team has not kept us in the loop on when it might be fixed since their new update. This is a definite flaw in their support.

Steve S.

Reviewed on 3/7/2018

Amazing

Listen to all tutorials and videos. Still got to the help tab to figure out how to do stuff. Faster than calling the rep. and setting up a time.

Pros

Ease of use and functionality. Paper use and printing are basically gone. Faxing is electronic and quick.

Cons

It has it all so there is a lot to learn. I use everything they have and sometimes get negative feedback from my patients who demand a person who speaks good english. Not much cultural diversity in my patients.

Charlene B.

Easy to use system

Easy to use. Reduces time to transition to new EHR

Pros

A very easy to use, all-inclusive system. Easiest billing system imaginable. Excellent functionality on all Apple products. Very good functionality on PC via Google Chrome.
Intuitive flow. Easy to take clinical photos with iPhone or iPad.
Simple form builder/template builder tools do not require advanced computer knowledge to customize every option one might need.

Cons

only drawback--no immediate phone number for support. Start all troubleshooting via email. But tickets are usually resolved promptly.

Tyler W.

Reviewed on 24/5/2018

Amazing, Outstanding and easy!

I dont have to write anything everything is a click away saving massive time!

Pros

I love how everything you need is just a click away! I can access documents for patients and physicians. I always use this system with such ease!

Cons

I have no complaints! There are minor glitches in the system, sometimes information can duplicate but all you have to do is refresh the page and problem is solved!

Scott C.

Reviewed on 7/7/2017

Made billing insurance much easier

Recently instituted an annual contract and want payment up front to maintain current price. I get it but it is disappointing.

Pros

Has made billing insurance easier
Meets EHR requirement for incentives
Portable
Customizable
Can attach data such as retinal photos. Just requires additional steps

Cons

Not specialist specific
Needs updated help tutorials
Not compatible to directly load data from eye care equipment such as photos or OCT

Joey M.

Reviewed on 25/6/2018

User Friendly Platform for all Healthcare needs

DAILY EASE OF THE WORK FLOW

Pros

Dr Chrono is an excellent patient care program that can fulfill all healthcare and business needs.
Ability to customize templates, patient data and can even use on apple ipad / phone or android devices. Amazing technology.

Cons

There are different price levels which is great but does not allow a la carte items from the different price structures.

Chanelle P.

Reviewed on 24/1/2019

I’ve been happy for years now.

Pros

Easy to use. Once templates are designed to fit your needs, notes are written and signed very quickly. 100 free text reminders for appointments/month with my package.

Cons

Text reminders do not always go out as scheduled because the service does not send text during certain hours of the day. My early morning patients sometimes get their text when they are walking in the door.

Sara B.

Reviewed on 10/1/2017

DrChrono for Small PT practice

We began using DrChrono in August 2015. It has really helped us streamline our information, patients and referrals. It's easy to navigate through the program and has made our life much easier in general.

Pros

We like how the system tracks referral sources, diagnoses, payment method, etc. We like how the system sends automatic reminders. We like how the system reports ERAs and provides a transaction history for any given day. We like the use of macro buttons to help make documentation accurate and timely.

Cons

What we don't like about DrChrono is all the glitches we've been running into. For instance, our fax was working perfectly for several months then just stopped. We've contacted customer service multiple times, the problem still hasn't been resolved. We had trouble with the macro buttons not working at times. We've had trouble with pulling up previous visits for, let's say, one particular patient. We knew we saw the patient for 5-6 visits, but when pulling up the statement, it only listed one visit etc.

Nathan H.

Reviewed on 28/9/2019

Great product very easy to set up

DrChrono has been a great all in one solution for my office and as a sole practitioner it allows me to do everything from the schedule to intake paperwork to note taking to checkout from a single device.

Pros

I love the ability to take templates that other users have created and then edit off of those. Also like that square is integrated with it for payment.

Cons

I wish that they had an android app as well as the ios one. As it is easier to get multiple android tablets to use then spending the money on ipads.

Elizabeth R.

Reviewed on 27/5/2018

reliable,efficient

structured charts without paper

Pros

can connect with several devices ,very easy to maneuver through the program, the medical records are kept with meaningful use in mind , and keeping up to date with needs

Cons

i wish it could interact information with my lab, as structured info to be counted as meaningful use without having to add expensive software

Elizabeth B.

Reviewed on 24/5/2018

Dr Chrono has been so user friendly and easy to take into the field.

Pros

I love the ability to customize my own templates and create forms that will work for my practice. I enjoy the sleek design and ability to use the App for easy access in the field.

Cons

Every once in while we get errors which are typically solved by clearing cookies-but it would be nice to not have that happen.

Jenfier G.

Reviewed on 8/11/2017

I would recommend DrChrono

The sales associate, Danny, was very informative and detailed about the software; what info on the system he provided has been accurate to date. Charla, our implementation manager, has been responsive and patient. Clearly her goal is to get DrChrono implemented effortlessly for us and in a timely fashion; we appreciate having that level of support.

Pros

* DrChrono is an Apple Enterprise partner * user friendly for patient and provider * comprehensive pricing, not ala carte' * real time EHR, cloud based

Cons

* as to be expected, creating customized templates is time-consuming, however the implementation process is itself is relative quick * IT support is available by email/chat submission. IT will call back quickly, which avoids being placed on hold for long period of time, however not having a "800" number to call takes some getting used to. I must admit though, the IT department is quick to respond once a request for help is submitted * the company is on west coast hours; our practice is east coast. Not so much a con, just a small inconvenience

Kate R.

Reviewed on 10/6/2017

Love it!

We have enjoyed every bit of our transition to DrChrono from a server based EHR. They have been accommodating, thorough and incredibly kind as our team of 30 learns a whole new way. We are big fans of drchrono EHR and the whole drchrono team!

Pros

Cloud based; awesome support team and thorough onboarding; comprehensive reporting; intuitive interface; fast workflow for intake and documentation; comprehensive revenue cycle management; credentialing support for new MD's

Cons

Still some visibility challenges in the schedule that could be improved; simplified navigation to patient ledgers would help workflow; would like the ability to integrate docusign type elements

Maureen S.
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 19/4/2017

Customizable, but lacks richness of features

This still feels like a relatively young product with great potential. The price is very appealing. There are lots of bugs in the system and kinks that need to get worked out. It can be a challenge to get through to folks who know what they are talking about. The basic support is only good for incredibly simple things. If a bug in the software is detected, it can be a nightmare to get through to the right person to actually correct the problem.

Pros

-Ease of changing documentation templates on the fly- I can update the way my practice documents quickly and easily
-Cheap
-Relatively intuitive user interface
-Simple platform does not require extensive training for new users
-Growing and developing product: drchrono has made consistent updates and improvements in the last year, and I expect them to continue to improve over time.

Cons

-It is difficult as an administrator to "push" customizations such as medication favorites or folder structures for tasks being worked by back office staff to users. You have to log in as the user to make these kinds of updates for each staff member.
-There is limited ability to link and report on data inside of the clinical note.
-There is no calculating of scores (such as PHQ9 or other screening tests). You must manually calculate and enter scores.
-The workflows of practice staff have not really been well considered. It is a challenge to audit which data has been entered for a clinic visit by the nurse or by the prescriber. Back office tasks such as referrals, prior auths, etc are not well supported.
-Too many "clicks"; too much screen shifting: You often end up with 3-4tabs open at a time and have to click back and forth between screens to get the information you need for a single patient.