About Kareo Clinical

Kareo is a Web-based EHR, medical billing, and practice management used by thousands of physicians across the United States. This system suits small practices and billing companies. With Kareo, practices can schedule patients,...

Browse Kareo Clinical Reviews

Armen M. Armen M.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 8/11/2019

Better than most

Customer service patient dashboard and simple interface.

Pros

Modern platform, ease of use and on-boarding options.

Cons

It's not for large organizations, that said it will fit most practices.

Samantha E. Samantha E.

Reviewed on 26/9/2021

overall it's OK

Pros

Easy to use/navigate. It has a lot of basic needed functions for a healthcare practice

Cons

Mobile log-in needs improvement. Administrator should receive alert on messages sent to the providers

Mary N. Mary N.

Reviewed on 1/3/2019

KAREO IS A LIFESAVER

My husband's words will be all I need to express: " OMG! I got my wife back!" Is that enough?

Pros

As a billing company, woman and entrepreneur, I found myself fumbling with other software and working myself to death. Ask me about a software and I will tell you about it. With Kareo, I was able to drop all of my clients into one system at once. Set up was easy and painless and I was able to keep my promise that billing never stops and that made my clients happy. With Kareo EMR and PM accessibility, my billing company soon found itself able to add not only consulting, training and virtual front desk/scheduling capabilities, but we are now unveiling our Virtual IT Director department so that we are able to continue growing. All this could never have happened if Kareo was not introduced into my life.

Cons

Listen. There is always something you don't like about a software. There have been some, but they are so insignificant, that I am unable to recall any that have not been enhanced with a request. In fact, if there is a request that will work for the entire Kareo community, you are encouraged to provide that so that they can put it into the software. That is how versatile this company is. For a billing company, they are there to hear you and encourage you and help you grow. You cannot say that from any one else. You really cant. So, yeah, things I don't like, I voice and they fix.

Top Kareo Clinical Alternatives

Mark T. Mark T.

Reviewed on 20/11/2020

Loving the new Telehealth

Pros

I love the simplicity and layout of Kareo, making my day to day tasks much easier and less time consuming.
I’m also loving the new integrated telehealth interface. It’s simple and direct and that’s always a plus in healthcare.

Cons

Kareo can sometime run slow or lag, I’m sure this is due to being inundated with updates and users but it does disrupt flow when Kareo does not work properly.

Thelma G. Thelma G.

Reviewed on 10/3/2021

Review of Kareo Clinical EHR

Overall the experience is good and would recommend the product to new and incoming clients.

Pros

I have used Kareo EHR for a little over a year now and have found the software to be easily navigated. I like that it is interfaced with the Practice Management program to do the billing, accounting and reports which make the job more organized. It also allows me to be interfaced with the laboratory that I use to have the lab results within the patients chart. The chart format lets me see what part I would like to review such as history, accounting, demographics, etc.
Easy to apply payments. The ERA's are easy to navigate and apply payments.

Cons

The practice software has a few glitches that we have to call for assistance in getting corrected.
Getting set up with new insurance takes some time. There is duplicate billing on occasion.

Miulan H. Miulan H.

Reviewed on 5/3/2020

Useful Program

Like I said prior, the program is easy to navigate, input, and search for information. Overall, this is a great program to use I would recommend this program to another facility.

Pros

There are many reasons that this program is useful. A few is:
1) The ease of access to information looking for
2) The ease of program navigation
3) Customer Care quality (when and if there's an issue)
4) Fast response and how the issue is handled
5) The ease of inputting of information

Cons

The only thing that I find to be an issue is the "Rejection" responses to the Clearinghouse reports. For example, I have had a few claims that were rejected with "Remaining Patient Liability is required when Line Adjudication Information is not sent." I have gone over the COB from when I posted the payment and all the required information, payments applied, and patient coinsurance is all inputted correctly, but I still got a rejection notice. To me, that is a little confusing.

Michelle P. Michelle P.

Reviewed on 21/7/2014

Easy to setup and train new staff; powerful enough to really perform

We selected Kareo to use right out of the gate for a veteran Doctor opening a start-up clinic with zero initial staff. Kareo training support during our initial phase was excellent, consistent, and readily available by phone and by online chat (a feature that we LOVE).

After the initial training phase, they have remained readily accessible, although due to the stability and ease of the product, we rarely need assistance even at the 9 months marker. As a consultant in billing and insurance for over 20 years, I have put it through the paces really hard, expecting optimal performance, and placing many demands on performance and accuracy that some might not.

Kareo has performed well while enabling me to easily train four new staff (who had no previous experience in the field) how to run the front office functions and even the initial entry of encounters for billing.

We like the security available to various levels of user profiles! Very helpful to include or exclude certain functions by employee. Another area we really use is the TASK function. With several employees, billing located in a different location, and all working different shifts, the task function is a huge plus for this software.

Kareo makes it easy to set up or switch and to comply with today's insurance, billing, and EHR regulations. An added bonus is that if we, or you, ever decide to outsource the billing portion, say, for instance, if you lost staff or just wanted to move billing out of the clinic, Kareo is positioned to immediately pickup and continue those functions seamlessly because of the cloud-based system. We particularly like the security of that backup plan.

We couldn't be more pleased on performance and ease of use. The highly competitive rate, month to month no contract, and no large upfront costs or maintenance fees are all excellent features as well!

With two generations of healthcare providers and a combined over 50 years in the field, and having previously owned a physician billing software company for more than 20 years, we are pleased to give Kareo a high recommendation.

Leslie C. Leslie C.

Reviewed on 5/3/2019

Intuitive, provider friendly, affordable

Affordable and portable. Mostly intuitive and easy for me to train others, but PLEASE fix the diagnosis section.

Pros

easy to use, can log in from phone, desktop, iPad, laptop--portable!

Cons

diagnoses section if POOR!!! ICD 10 should automatically populate with most often used codesd--not the hundreds of NEVER used, obscure ICD 10 codes that require me to scroll through--also, some are listed as "conditions" and do not carry over in the diagnosis section. This is a real pitfall for this software and way too much of my time is spent on another software looking up codes since they do not populate well on Kareo--I keep hoping that this is being upgraded/ updated!
Also, ROS should carry over if SALT option is selected.

John L. John L.

Reviewed on 15/12/2020

Not designed for a medical practice

This brief trial of the product has been revealing. My practice is simple, and my requirements are simple. I need to prescribe medications to sick patients. This organization cannot meet the most basic requirement of an EHR in the 21st century.

It is a billing platform. That is the priority. THE HEALTH AND WELLBEING OF YOUR PATIENTS does not enter into their business plan. This is a corporation. Their goal is to make lot of money. Period.

Pros

There are no advantages to this EHR vs other comparable EHR's.

Cons

This corporation has not prioritized clinical practice. It is essentially a long-standing billing platform that threw together an EHR to get more money from clinicians. You can not reliably and consistent order medications with this platform. There is always some sort of failure in the system, either electronic prescribing, or electronic prescribing of controlled substances, or both. There is no meaningful customer support. A physician, or even the owner of the company, is unable to explain simple issues to IT. Instead, regardless of who you are, or what your status in the organization is, you must call customer support and waste an inordinate amount of your valuable time only to have, essentially a low-level telephone operator tell you THEY will "escalate" your issue to IT. There is no follow through, nor accountability. Nothing will be fixed or addressed. You can not speak with anyone who is capable of actually DOING anything.

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical

Similar IT/Support issues. Customer service/satisfaction must be first - in any business. That's Business 101. They get an "F".

Practice Fusion

Reasons for Switching to Kareo Clinical

My biller uses Kareo. That was THE ONLY REASON. It was to facilitate billing. Bad decision. 😒.

Response from Kareo

Hello John, Thank you for sharing your experience with us here. We sincerely apologize for any difficulty you've had with our system and value the feedback you have provided. We have looked into your account and your specific complaints listed therein, and we recently have updated our software to overcome the concerns you have raised. Someone from our support team has reached out to you and has discussed this with you and your office.

Thank you again for your time and working with us towards a resolution,

Replied 5/1/2021
Aamr H. Aamr H.
  • Used for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 7/12/2020

Stay Away

I signed up for Kareo with all the promises that they had given us about the functionality and up until the start date everything seemed fine. After starting it I realized that half the options were not available and my staff could not work with Kareo.
Every single time we called them they referred as to their online videos. Their staff is unable to answer any questions.
I ended up switching back to my old software after 1 day of a clinical mess in my office, and they refused to cancel my subscription. So after I used Kareo only for 1 day and I signed a 1 year contract which they refused to cancel, I ended paying for a year, when i tried to tell them to cancel the automatic yearly renewal, their staff said that I have to call them on 29 April to cancel for 1 May otherwise it will be renewed for another year.
I decided to just pay for the entire year and get them off my back. Very sad.
I usually am not that pained by a Software enough to go and write reviews but I would definitely Suggest everybody keep away from this product.
Their service is the worst ever.

Pros

The web based scheduling and the fact that I could switch over after a few days, but that was a farce since there was no real training.

Cons

No automatic fax , very poor support, every question is answered with please look at the video.
and please read below, they are trying to make every penny they can

AdvancedMD Billing Services

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical

Athena was too expensive.

athenaOne

Reasons for Switching to Kareo Clinical

Looked good. and was cheaper.

Response from Kareo

Hi Aamr,

Thank you for your valued feedback and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you experienced when utilizing our products. Before the contract sign up we scheduled a demo session to ensure our product did fit your needs as a healthcare provider. Additionally, we have live training sessions available and a success coach who's on call for when you have doubts or questions. Our main focus as a company is to cater to the healthcare providers and their billing partners work and ensuring a successful journey for our customers is top priority.

Replied 23/12/2020
Leann S. Leann S.

Reviewed on 7/11/2019

Disappointed

I wish I could say something that is being solved with Kareo, but at best it's a functional bare bones EMR, where you can document notes and bill. If you need much more than that, chose another EMR.

Pros

Documenting the H&P and progress note is pretty straightforward and easy. The superbill completion is also easy and seems to function well.

Cons

Where to start... first, it seems that Kareo expects that you and your practice should conform to their clunky set up. after the initial sales call (their sales guy is great), you're expected to schedule weekly phone visits with Kareo's on boarding coordinator. She made a point to say how busy she is and need to schedule far in advance so that she can fit you into her schedule. Really? The coordinator can't actually do anything for you but tells you how to work through the system and what training to do next. I stopped doing these calls after it was clear anything I needed help with, she was not actually able to do anything, so I had to contact the ones who could actually help me. The training is like 100 hours. Any program that needs 100 hours/ 1000 sections of training, is not user friendly. There are many many other issues (ICD10 coding while trying to order labs which have to be completely reentered in addition to the chart, my systems biller getting locked out of the system repeatedly due to issues with the web platform interfacing with the desktop program, significant issues of setting up e-scribe -hours on the phone), but probably the worst is that the patient portal is essentially non existent. I won't go into the details but if you want a functional patient portal, chose a different EMR.

Response from Kareo

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize that you feel Kareo has not met your expectations. Success Coaches serve as your main point of contact upon sign up during your implementation, their role is to guide assistance through milestones and facilitate processes between different departments (enrollments, training, support, etc). Although training may be intensive, it is very important that it be in-depth due the nature of charting and billing. We are proud of the time we've invested in our software, and are confident that the solution will help overcome any hurdles you are currently facing. We are dedicated to your success as a practice and want nothing more than to address your specific concerns and work with you to ensure your practice becomes productive and thriving. We will work with your success coach and our support team to have someone reach out to you as soon as possible to discuss your needs.

Best,

Replied 13/11/2019
Robyn T. Robyn T.

Reviewed on 9/6/2021

Smooth sailing

Pros

Just started in Feb 2021.
Transition from one PM to Kareo was smooth. Kareo's staff helped upload all patient info; appointments, demographics, bills owed.
The Kareo system texts and emails patients their appointments. We love this feature.
With Kareo, I can stay on top of billing insurance and patients. So far, nothing is getting lost in the cracks. With my old system, I had to run a monthly report to see which patients have not paid a bill yet (which is obviously not hard to do, but would sometimes forget to run one). In Kareo, I see who I need to bill every day. AND, if a patient hasn't paid, the receptionist sees that they owe a bill before setting up another appointment.

Cons

The system did not transfer credits on accounts. Ex: If a patient bought a "package of 3" of one of our services, the credit on their account for unused services had to be entered manually in to Kareo.
Kareo does not offer a Waitlist. I have asked a few times if they could add this service. Seems like it would be an easy feature to add, but to no avail. We would REALLY use this. Instead, we have a google spreadsheet for our waitlist.

Sheri H. Sheri H.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Reviewed on 25/3/2020

Terrible Software. Your practice will lose money

Very disappointed. I don’t know what issues they are having but too frequent problems accessing a software that I may a lot of money for. If you can’t access it then you are not getting what you pay for and it cost you money in the long run

Pros

I like that it’s link to the billing software which makes it easier for billing

Cons

Software frequently crashes, sometimes all day which means you have no access to patient information, cannot check in patients or collect co-pays. Basically you end up rescheduling patients which results in hours of lost work time and staff unable to work. We’ve lost thousands of dollars in revenue because of this faulty, nonfunctional and unreliable Kareo software. And don’t bother trying to call customer support because you will not be able to reach anyone live. You’ll hear the same prerecorded message saying “we are aware of the problem.” There are better and less expensive softwares out there for your practice. Do your due diligence and think twice about investing in Kareo

Response from Kareo

Hello Sheri, Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your experience with our product and our support staff. We sincerely apologize about the obstacles you've encountered and are committed to working with you to overcome your concerns. We will be reaching out ASAP to discuss this in more depth with you.

Thank you again for your time, and we look forward to speaking with you soon.

Replied 27/3/2020
Leslie G. Leslie G.

Reviewed on 9/3/2019

Great product

I enjoy working on it. Doctor and I keep in contact by the messager on it . It lets us know where the patient is at all times in the office from front to back so it is a wonder tool.

Pros

I like how easy it is to use and to review the records that you need . You don’t have to open every file just for one .

Cons

The only thing I can say that I don’t like about it is that in labs and studies it moved what you are working on in front of others and I away missed labs in between because it pushing the labs down . I know that it is confusing but I miss labs that have not been worked because of it.

Laura M. Laura M.

Reviewed on 1/12/2020

Kareo has been a lifesaver

Kareo has been a 180 degree turn from our previous EHR. It is so easy to use! We learned the majority of functions in 1-2 days working with the product. Education and help is easy to use and follow (and quick). Support staff has been very helpful. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] did a great job.

Pros

Kareo is visually appealing and easy to find the most important features or patient demographics, note writing, communicating with staff and patients.

Cons

I would like the medical notes to be as appealing as the rest of the platform. It starts to look templated. Also wish the notes would read more like sentences that +/-

I would also like a nursing notes section.

Dr. harshad P. Dr. harshad P.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Reviewed on 1/8/2017

poor urgency handling customer concern

Pros

Pros would consist of the ease of learning the fundamentals of working the EHR. It is pretty self explanatory once you fire up the application.

Cons

Our practice is located in Arizona, and the time on our EHR is incorrect since the base of kareo is located in California our system is on California time as opposed to Arizona. We have brought this issue to kareo, nothing was done there was no resolution to this matter and the time is still incorrect. One major issue that we are having is, we use a desk top for the use of kareo and as well as an Apple IPad. We are having an issue accessing "labs and studies" on the iPad and every time we open up this tab our app not only kicks us out but does not allow us to access the labs from the iPad thus causing Dr. Patel to then have to leave patients room come to the front to look at the labs, majorly taking away from Doctor Patient time. This matter has been brought to kareo's attention numerous amounts of times, and still it is not resolved we have been having this issue now for a total of 3-4 months. We call and receive a very typical answer from them stating that "we have our engineers working on it and someone will give you a call" no one ever gives our office a call back. we are very dissatisfied at this point with kareo and cons definitely out weigh the pros with this system.

Roxanna A. Roxanna A.

Reviewed on 3/6/2021

excellent billing software

Overall good.

Pros

Easy to use for both the billers and the providers.

Cons

Generating reports is difficult when our providers ask for a specific a/r report. We had to pay extra to run certain reports that other billing software programs already have as standard reports.

Barika G. Barika G.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Reviewed on 11/4/2019

Performance, perspective & Price

Pros

Kareo provides a seamless platform that allows for easy provider access and documentation. It's plug and play design allows for easy integration into the practice.

Cons

Customer service can be better. Kareo also appears to focus on finding the newest features and appears to forget about older issues that still need resolutions.

Patricia G. Patricia G.

Reviewed on 16/9/2016

You will not regret it!!!!!!!!!!

This has been a great experience at a great price. It is reasonable and the resources made available are amazing.

Pros

- versatile
- easy to use
- anyone can adapt
- easy to implement and help with workflows
- valuable reporting daily, weekly, monthly

Cons

....mmmmm.....?????

Stephanie E. Stephanie E.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Reviewed on 11/12/2014

It has it's good days and bad days

Pros

I love that the customer service is always willing and available when we are in dire need. I love the EHR side where I can see patients check in and all there health history and note in one section. I also love the EHR side where if you are in a note you don't have to log out of that note to see the contents of a different note. I like how the EHR side shows when I person is late, how long and changes color. Documents also have gotten easier to scan in on the EHR side.

Cons

I do not like having two sides to the program, PMR and EHR. It would be easier if you could schedule, see all appointments of each patient, account history (services rendered), billing, and health history & notes all on the EHR side. It doesn't make since to have to flip back and forth to each system. Especially when the providers work mainly in the EHR side. They need to be able to see things in the PMR side just as much as the Front Desk does. I also hate that you can't split appointments by providers by time in PMR

Alexandra R. Alexandra R.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Reviewed on 26/1/2017

Exactly what we need!

We have a small practice and weren't happy with the current software we were using. We were looking for a software that wouldn't break the bank but would offer some good options and a great product. Well, we found that with Kareo.

Pros

The software is user-friendly, a lot of reports are available - Kareo also has an 'add-in' for Excel where users can build their own reports with the data ( a time consuming great option for us!). Setting up the company and some of the time-consuming - but most set-ups can be. Online chat support, quick response to emails, etc.

Cons

A 'coach' was assigned during the onboarding process to assist with the general set-up and questions; the support wasn't the best (initially). However, - we are now completely satisfied with the support received and someone is always available to answer our questions.

Srisai G. Srisai G.

Reviewed on 28/7/2020

Scam..they promise one thing, wont deliver..still robbing me

I tried it for 2 weeks...it was very inefficient and time consuming. I cancelled it in 2 weeks; they are crooks and still charging me 7 months later!
they wont return ph calls and very deceitful.
-the customer service is horrible, not knowledgeable.
- a Con company, not delivering on the promise of the salesman... stay away.

Pros

Salesman promised the moon.
Kareo Video training was helpful
Making shortcuts was easy

Cons

-Too many unnecessary clicks, too many windows
-too cumbersome, not intuitive, based on legacy system,
- the whole workflow is not efficient, too cumbersome

athenaOne, Valant EHR Suite and AdvancedMD EHR

Reasons for Switching to Kareo Clinical

The salesman misled me....

Response from Kareo

Hello Srisai,

Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your time with Kareo. We appreciate your candor and take your feedback seriously. I see that over the time you've been with us, we have employed the assistance of several subject matter experts as well as our leadership team to overcome any obstacles you have encountered and we remain committed to assisting you in this manner, as we are with all of our customers. We are also committed to an up-front and honest sales process and work to ensure that we meet the needs of our customers. We apologize that Kareo was not a good fit for your office. Our support team has been in contact with you and will continue to assist you moving forward.

Replied 31/8/2020
Tatianya C. Tatianya C.

Reviewed on 12/2/2020

KAREO REVIEW

Medical records will be easier to print and forward when requested

Pros

The templates are of great use in our practice

Cons

The eprescibe is not my favorite feature

Nikolete M. Nikolete M.

Reviewed on 28/4/2021

Wonderful EDR

Wonderful.

Pros

It is easy to use, very user friendly and if you ever need anything customer service is QUICK. I have never been stuck on hold.

Cons

Very small lettering, no option to make screen bigger.

Christine R. Christine R.

Reviewed on 14/8/2012

My practice's cash flow has improved by 90%!

I would highly recommend Kareo. It is user-friendly, convenient since it is web-based, and it is efficient. I will never look for another billing service or billing software again.

Pros

My practice's cash flow has improved by 90%!

Kareo is extremely user-friendly for someone like me who had no previous billing experience.My cash flow has improved by 90%. We're now receiving insurance payments within two to three weeks and there have been almost no rejected claims that have been outstanding for more than one month. The support staff and the training videos are extremely helpful when implementing your practice information into the software. I can do the practice's billing from any location since it is web-based. It has given me the control I needed with respect to getting payments as quickly as possible from the insurance companies.

Cons

The only negative side is that for larger practices with more than five providers that you are billing under, it becomes costly to pay the monthly pricing per provider. It would be good if Kareo could implement a monthly price for practices or billing services that have five or more billing providers.