About AIM

AIM is a secure end-to-end point of sale (POS) business solution that can be used in any retail environment. This retail management solution features customizable menus and screens, inventory management, complete POS activity and...

4.2
3.6
4.2

Browse AIM Reviews

Holly

Reviewed on 17/11/2020

Pleased!

Overall we are very happy with AIM for our business. The tech support is awesome! They are always ready to help and super friendly. I love that they can remote in and show us what to do.

Pros

We have been using the contract module side of AIM for our instrument rental contracts to keep track of monthly payments since the beginning of our business in 2004. We pulled away for a brief stint to try another company and it was a disaster. The instrument rental contracts are the bread and butter of our business. If it fails, we fail. If the customer doesn't feel like they can trust us with their personal info because the system fails, we fail. It's a reflection on us. We came back to AIM in 2019 and went all in with the full point of sale system and we've never looked back. We highly recommend AIM.

Cons

We do wish that there weren't so many steps to follow. Seems like there is a huge learning curve to this program. Once you live it and breath it like it do it's one thing. But my employees tend to make mistakes often because they miss a step.
And for example: having to get out of one frame and into another one for the same customer with a different question about their account is sometimes frustrating.
Also. I really wish that an email went out immediately to my rental contract customers on autopay when their card is declined. The ability is there, as they receive an email immediately when the payment goes through, but not when it declines. This would help our collection dept out tremendously if this option was implemented.

Rob

Reviewed on 26/9/2022

Great POS/Gun book/Range Software

Been a fantastic system....we recommend it whenever we are asked what we use by other gun stores.

Pros

I don't have to have multiple systems running to achieve everything we need to do...AIM does it all

Cons

learning curve....set up and learning the system takes time

Bill

Reviewed on 26/1/2017

Great feature set and support. Very poorly implemented.

The product has features that no other has, especially for the musical instrument rental business. However, it is showing its age. The worst thing is that it wasn't written well even to standards that we had 30 years ago. (I started in the IT business in 1986.)

I would recommend it, with a great many warnings, to a musical instrument rental or similar company, but absolutely not to anyone else.

Pros

The feature set for the rent-to-own business is good. So far as we have been able to discover, there is no other product at any price that supports our business. (If there was, I would be on it like a duck on a June bug.)

The support staff is excellent!

Cons

I would have fired an experienced programmer or seriously chewed out a beginner 30 years ago if they designed a user interface that was so poorly implemented. You never know from screen to screen what you have to do to do a "find." Sometimes you have to hit Tab for the program to work, sometimes you have to hit Enter. The mere fact that in a good many places the programmers apparently elected to use the tab key or enter key events rather than the OnExit event is inexcusable. (Click the OK or Save button without first tabbing out of a field and there is a great chance that the changes to the field you were last in were not saved.) Things as simple as standard naming conventions for naming reports are just an example that someone either didn't understand design or didn't care. (The reports aren't in report name order because some inept person decided to put "Print" or "List" in front of the report name, thereby making the lists sort out without rhyme or reason. Having a table of variables to STORE system options is fine. It's even okay for a first release. However, how a system that has been on the market this long without having a user interface on said table indicates a huge lack of caring. The user interface flaws cannot be excused by the fact that the programs are old. The design flaws would not have been acceptable in a DOS or even a CP/M program.

The back end modules are simply sad. The fact that they decided to write the back end all over again in the new system that they plan to release someday indicates a huge lack of judgment. Why the devil would one reinvent the wheel, especially after doing such a poor job the first time around, when one could interface to any of several well-written, mature, user-friendly and well-supported G/L, A/P, A/R, etc. systems and focus on the specialized modules that make me use AIMsi to start with? (QuickBooks immediately comes to mind.) Doing so would save well into six figures of development cost, give one a solid base on which to build, and even give one a huge marketing opportunity by being an enhancement to a widely-used system rather than being a home-rolled thing. It would also give me some hope that the new release would be available in my lifetime. They are simply burning man-years of programming effort and stretching lead times unreasonably.

As bad as the G/L module is, their "Purchase Order" module simply boggles the mind. They make a sad effort to somehow combine P/O and Customer Order Processing while making both the COP features and the interface to A/P damned near unusable. One need only looks at the database design to see that whoever wrote the COP programs had never actually worked on one before. No Order Header and Order Line Item tables? Really? They sort of sludge everything together in something that they dreamed up from scratch. Even the terminology used for field names and labels is non-standard. "Picked" has a very well understood meaning in the COP industry. They have a whole new definition.

I could go on forever...

Top AIM Alternatives

Ron

Reviewed on 27/9/2022

Has made us MUCH more efficient

Pros

For a small retail store this is excellent! Helps manage inventory, as well as daily and weekly check out.

Cons

There was quite a learning curve for us. We had no POS before AIM.

Quickbooks Point of Sale

Reasons for Switching to AIM

AIM was a better choice for a Retail/Service business
Emily

Reviewed on 12/9/2022

Emily's Review of AIM

I have worked with many people at Tri-Tech we have been using there POS for about 4 years. I have had to call the customer help line many times in those 4 years. And no matter how frustrated I am they do an excellent job helping me solve the issues I run into.

Pros

I enjoy the easy of being able to create things and customize the POS easily. The system does all I need plus more that I probably don't know about. Seems like I learn new things about it all the time. My most recent call was with [SENSITIVE CONTENT]. He was very knowledgeable and the questions he didn't know the answers to he was very speedy at finding them. I enjoyed my early morning conversation with [SENSITIVE CONTENT] while he helped me work on multiple issues I was having. We got them all fixed in under an hour (I was expecting it to be a multiple hour kind of call). I look forward to working with [SENSITIVE CONTENT] again.

Cons

The worst part about this POS was the set up. Although I believe that is mostly the fact that we were transferring information from a system that was very VERY old and outdated system. But the service team was there for me whenever I had questions; and boy I had a lot of them. Those first few months most of the service people knew me by first name.

Benjamin

Reviewed on 9/9/2022

Many Tools/

Good overall. Many problems arise on a weekly basis but phone support are always their to help.

Pros

I do like that there are many features available. Scheduling, rentals, repair, short term rentals, etc. They are always trying to update and get better. I believe the repair and rental contracts are the strongest features of the software. A lot of the active e features are nice as well.

Cons

With what I like about the software is also where some of its problems arise. There are some parts of the software that lack features within its functions. Short term rentals is confusing and not completely ready in my opinion, not many ways for loaners to be customized ( no options for automated late fees or charges), Package deals are not easy to update. There are tons of features but some have issues.

Katie

Reviewed on 29/9/2022

Great product!

Overall the experience has been great! Our business has been using this software for almost 20 years and any time we have a question or an issue, customer and technical service is always easy to access and help with the problem.

Pros

Easy to navigate through the menu options. Simple layout among the different screens.

Cons

We have not upgraded our software to version 12 yet. That being said, the version we are currently using is not online integrated as far as the lesson module goes. If that has changed with the newer version, then I have no cons

Amanda

Reviewed on 28/9/2022

Easy to use for the non-techy.

If really good. The customer service cannot be beat!

Pros

It is the app that we use for every aspect of our business. From POS to inventory control we have it all in one place. The straight forward menus and feature with in each module is user friendly.

Cons

I do feel that the system is a little over complicated with so many pop up windows. Also, tranactions seem to have too many steps for simple procedures.

Teddy
  • Industry: Wholesale

Reviewed on 26/9/2022

Experience with Aim

Overall experience with Aim has bee satisfactory.

Pros

User friendly, tech support is good and a fair price.

Cons

Integration with previous inventory got messed up and we had to do much more work to get corrected.

Terrica
  • Industry: Libraries

Reviewed on 13/9/2022

TFV Review

Our experience has been good. When we have an issue or a problem, tech support is helpful in solving the issues we have.

Pros

We use the software for consignment of books. It is fairly easy to use to consign and sell.

Cons

It would be helpful to create an inventory that our customers could use to look up our inventory.

Miles

Reviewed on 8/8/2017

Legacy database that our company is slowly replacing with more modern systems

Years of data can be searched through. We currently use it for recurring billing via credit cards for monthly rental and lesson tuition payments. Those recurring charges must be manually triggered every day though.

Pros

Does not have glitches or communication errors. Data that has been input stays there forever. Interface has never changed, ever. So if you are familiar with it, there is a comfort factor.

Cons

The user interface has very few, if any, task stream allowances or cross linking between data entry areas.
The typical interaction with Aimsi requires starting from the home screen and navigating the "Module" you need, selecting the "Find," searching for the correct customer account, pulling up the relative info about them.
Then...
Restarting from the home screen, module you need to add or edit part of the changes that are needed, "find," find that account again..
Then...
Restarting from the home screen, module you need to add or edit the other part of the changes that are needed, "find," find that account again...

While there are hot keys to speed up this process it is still a very primitive workflow. Newer systems have you choose the customer account first, then proceed to enter new data, while Aimsi requires finding the module, and then the account, over and over again.

Networking your store for Aismsi to work off of one of your local PCs requires above average networking skills. Backups and hardware upgrades are your problem and responsibility. You will need someone on call unless you happen to have above average IT skills.

Carl
  • Industry: Sporting Goods

Reviewed on 11/11/2019

Great Customer Support

Our company spent a lot of time looking for a new POS system. After a ton of research we decided to go with Tri-tech. We could not be happier. Our Rep was very nice and not pushy. We've had the POS system for just about 2 years and my rep that sold me the system told me if I have ever need anything just to call him. I've held him to it and he has definitely kept his word. They're tech support has been great but, if I have to have one negative thing it would be on the tech support. The problem is when you call tech support for a question you just get a random person. The person you talk to will help you fix the problem you're having but, if you call back for the same issue, you get a different person that has a different way to fix the problem. So it could get confusing at times. I talked to my rep and he assured me they were making changes to make sure the support you get is more consistent. But honestly its a very small complaint and in no way affects the 5 star rating. If your looking for a new POS system I would strongly recommend taking a look at Tri-Technical Systems.

Pros

The customer support was great. It seemed the easiest to use. We are not a big company and this seemed to work best for us.

Cons

Tech support is a little confusing. I described below, when you call customer support you talk to a different person. That can cause an issue because each person has a different way to fix the problem you're having.

Steve

Reviewed on 28/9/2021

AIM Software

Overall experience has been amazing. Tech support is there to help us out when there are questions. The training videos are full of good advice and very helpful hints to make the software work better for us.

Pros

For an all around software, for several different industries, this software is well thought out. We have used this software for many years, and have gone through several of the upgrades. When there has been an issue, tech support is right there to help resolve problems or to escalate to developers to create what we need. The training tutorials are a huge help. The software is very customizable for our needs.

Cons

We have not really run across any negatives. Tri Tech is always improving the software. The one downside is not having tech support there on weekends if we have an issue. We have only run into one or two times we have really needed them on a weekend in all the years we have used the software.

Sharon

Reviewed on 19/1/2017

aimsi review

It was hard to learn at first and I find my new employees have a bit more trouble with it than I like. Support is good but I have frustrations when CC processor and yourself throw the blame back on each other when resolving such problems. I think the separate module are a bit pricey unless you can catch a sale. And unfortunately I wish there was better online instruction to able to learn a new module. customer support is limits how much they show you in that area. I feel as though I utilize only about 50% of what aimsi can do just because there is no instruction of resource available online. And what's the point of the scheduling tab in reports when it doesn't give data even though the choices of reports are the same in the lesson tab and they work there. Customer service told me the tab doesn't work yet.

Pros

customer contact capture and credit card processing .

Cons

modules priced individually and that updates aren't discounted for current customers.

Randy

Reviewed on 19/9/2022

AIM is the best fit!

The software has been just what we were needing for our sales and service business. The support has been fantastic as well over the years. Simply put top to bottom outstanding!

Pros

There are many POS on the market today but not very many geared to our industry. It is flexible and customizable. It is so easy to use.

Cons

There are very few things I like least because when we do , features can be implemented. I guess at this point I like least is we have no way to print a claim check when customers drop off their vacuum. That said I created a feature request that they are working on as I type this review.

• Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Reviewed on 16/11/2019

A Small Music Store's Best Friend

I used this software as a salesman at a local music store. It worked great to keep track of inventory (sales/ordering/receiving), salesman commissioning, time cards, and it made band rental season easy to manage.

Pros

It's very easy to use for all point of sale needs including transacting sales, sales history, band rentals, gear rentals, powerful customer account features, ordering and receiving. We used it to track salesman commissions and it worked great for that as well.

Cons

No real cons from a salesman/user perspective. It functioned to meet all of the needs of a small, local music store.

Lauren
  • Used for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 13/8/2018

Wish I read these reviews before buying

There are much better options. I wish I did my research and read these reviews. I asked for a 30-day trial of the software and they said no but were confident it would be exactly what we needed. Well it wasn't and really bad for software we never plan on using. We decided that if it was so hard to set-up correctly before we even started using it, that it would be a headache done the road. We did set-up and went for our training and passwords wouldn't work. Not even the default. They can't help us. Have to call support and reschedule training. Call support and they tell me I have premium support to use this different access number. They can't transfer me, so I have to call back. I use that different access number and just keep getting shot back to the main menu "Press 1 for Sales, Press 2 for support" At this point, myself and my team are so aggrivated that we decide it's better to go with the current systems we already have Fullslate and Paysimple. They are easy to use. Super intuitive and requires about 30-min of training for someone to learn.

Fortunately, AIMsi did extend a refund for the unused license and workstation, so we were able to get back some of our money. The sales guy I worked with was super nice. None of this is his fault, it's the software's fault and my fault for not trusting my gut that you don't buy something unless it has a trial period to make sure it's the right fit for your business.

Pros

Can be set up for multiple locations
Lots of back-end customizing
Lots of add-ons and modules for customization

Cons

Expensive & hard to set-up
Windows based, so no Mac used
Can set up a server to access remotely but requires you to have multiple workstations as the software is only tides to 1 location
Supposedly there is support but I couldn't get through
Sales team is very active and reaches out to you a lot until you request for money back

Del

Reviewed on 19/1/2017

Aimsi software for music stores

We've been using Aimsi software in our music store for about 10 years now, and we couldn't live without it. It has streamlined our accounts receivable immensley, and made many other facets of our business much easier.

Pros

Cons

The hsitory search part of the service module has some limitations

Carolyn

Reviewed on 19/9/2022

AIM v12

The AIM team is generally responsive to our requests though we do tend to have issues due to the large database size that difficult to diagnose.

Pros

I like the ability to save an update information efficiently.

Cons

Tracking various types of purchases is still very difficult and conversion from rentals to purchase.

Sharon
2.5

Reviewed on 6/9/2014

Best product available to Music retailers at this time.

Pros

That it captures customer info; examines things like staff sales, top customers, sales totals so I know how my business is growing.

Cons

the fees that you charge for anything extra that could support us.The fact that any type of webinar, workshop or video costs so much even though we pay monthly fees for support. I don't like the fact that even if we pay a monthly support fee we're screwed on the weekend if the system errors and you can't use it. paying an extra fee for the weekend seems like a another gouge. Not enough free tips and support about general usage, considering you only get a month of "free" support to learn how to use the system. If there are other places to get info then you need to get that info out to your customers.
The email module having no support in the way of setting it up - you're on your own having to know outgoing info and whatever else. I had it working once and now it doesn't and when I ask support that admittedly say that's not there area to help with and you have to call your internet provider. Plus when it does work, depending on your provider you can end up getting blocked from using your email for 24 hours.
That I can't look up a serial number to see it's repair history.
That you didn't ask your customers how they felt about your product and get their input -thanks for listening to my request in the email I sent a few weeks ago.

Response from Tri-Technical Systems

Our Support Manager spoke with Sharon and showed her how to look up the repair history on any serial number, and also stepped her through correcting her port number for emailing out of AIMsi.

Replied 16/9/2014
roger
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 20/1/2017

pc poll software

great customer support, however if I had concerns it would be cost effectiveness, for small business operation, I do not need support that often, but had to pay monies every month to be connected, one time fees should be available at reasonable price points

Pros

support team has vast knowledge of software

Cons

the cost to use this service, would prefer a smaller fee to use this support on a one time as needed order, software is not user friendly

Mary
  • Used for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 8/6/2017

Too Much Work

The sales staff is very eager to show how the program works, but they do not tell you about data entry required, that there is only one check template, and that other parts of their program cannot be customized. The rental and lesson modules cannot be turned off, and having to enter tax by zip code is a tedious job that is unnecessary. Other accounting programs will do this automatically. Overall, the program has great features, but if we had not spent money on it, I think I would have knuckled down and gone with QuickBooks, and I hate QuickBooks.

Pros

Integrates POS, AP, AR, inventory, and invoicing, all in one program. They offer complete training and on-site set up, for a price.

Cons

Too much data entry to set up, which they do not tell you. I had to enter: categories (in a specific format, which I had to develop) and tax by zip code (California has over 2700). In addition, their 'conversion' consists of you putting your information in their template, and them writing a subroutine that will insert it into their program. If we had needed multiple stores, or did rentals, then it would have been more complicated. They only have one check template, and if your check does not fit theirs, their immediate response is 'why not buy them from us'. Nevermind that you might have several boxes already printed. Also, entering a customer is a complicated, several step process. For someone unused to data entry or not very computer savvy, it could be a more frustrating experience than it was for me. Their documentation is SEVERELY lacking, as well.

Tim
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain
  • Used for 1+ year

Reviewed on 26/9/2019

A Good Alternative

When I arrived in the organization, AIMsi had been recently installed for a small chain of retail stores in the organization. The sales floor was able to pick it up quickly, which was the real concerns. Basic metrics became readily available to everyone, and it was an overall success. That being said, it had a few crashes, and more complicated reporting for accounting, purchasing, and maintenance needed more work to be really functional. Nonetheless, it was a good buy for the organization.

Pros

Front-line users got up to speed quickly due to a slick interface and limited administrative options/noise. This included users with limited computer skill. The point of sale functionality was great.

Cons

Higher-view reports were clunky and difficult, they needed some help to get in shape for upper management. Crossing over data between the sales floor and the other functions of the business needed a lot of learning for even advanced users.

Stacie

Reviewed on 19/7/2017

Great Software Package that does it all!

Pros

It's so flexible. It can do so many things. It handles every aspect of our Music Business, links to our website and is reasonably priced.

Cons

The interface is showing it's age and is cumbersome at times. It needs an upgrade and better flow in many areas.

Mathew

Reviewed on 12/7/2016

Amazing, flexible software that can do anything

We have been working with TriTech and using AIMsi for years. They are a great company that packs so much into their software. It's flexible and can do anything!

Pros

the flexibility that it has to do so many functions

Cons

waiting for an update as the interface is a bit dated