Paymo Reviews

About Paymo

Paymo is a work and project management software for small-medium businesses. This solution supports remote work and offers project planning, resource scheduling, team collaboration, file proofing, time tracking, and project...

Browse Paymo Reviews

Leticia
Leticia

Reviewed on 16/6/2020

Our main tool to run the business

We have been working with Paymo for more than 5 years now and over the years we've seen constant improvement with new features. It's a rich feature tool for a low price and it suits our company as no other does, not only in what they offer but in an intuitive and easy-to-use tool. The timer, invoices using the timesheet, team scheduling, sending estimates, all those make the difference in our business and has help us to save and make money.

Pros

The timer is the best feature of Paymo. We search a lot but none of the other tools allows us to easy time our work and bill our clients as Paymo, with an always-visible timer. And the ability to bill our clients with the timesheet completes our process perfectly.

Cons

It's lacking a client portal, where they have all information about their project and invoices

Invoicera, Harvest, Invoice Ninja and Toggl Track

Reasons for Switching to Paymo

The always-visible timer and invoicing with timesheet abilities.

Response from Paymo

Time tracking FTW, Leticia - thank you :)

I think there's a misunderstanding. The current client portal allows clients to view their invoices. Just be sure to add them as contacts too: https://help.paymoapp.com/en/articles/900000-how-do-i-add-a-contact-to-a-client

They can't see the project progress, something that is going to be fixed with the next release of the client portal. That will grant guest users in-app access.

This is our #1 priority right now, so stay tuned!

Kind regards,

Krystle Chanel
Krystle Chanel

Reviewed on 26/6/2020

I finally found the one!

It is important to note that Paymo isn't idle in enhancing its software. Not only that, but new features are thoughtful and integrated seamlessly with the tool. I appreciate this because I have used other software that seem to have their priorities mixed up when releasing enhancements; adding things that don't move the needle ahead of things that do.

Pros

After years of using project management software for both myself and companies I've worked for, I found the right tool for the job for my personal, small business as a marketing coach and online entrepreneur.

Until I build a team, I'm using Paymo for myself, and other tools are not always price-sensitive for a solo user. I appreciate that Paymo provides an option to pay for one user until I'm ready to grow.

A particular feature I was looking for was the option to view all projects on a single Kanban board. In the rare case that I found this option, it was a significant upgrade to acquire. But Paymo offers this and it's super easy to use!

Other features I love:
- Time-tracking/timesheet: Visual representation of where my time goes. I use the in-app timer every day.
- Flexible viewing options: I can easily switch between list, table, board, and Gantt views, with easy to use filters that allow me to see exactly what I want. No custom reports or views need created - which can be time-consuming and inflexible (enterprise tools).
- Note: The user experience of the Gantt chart was also what I was looking for. It is drag and drop and allows you to adjust your timeline from within the view.

There's so much to love about Paymo! And that is saying a lot coming from someone who has researched and used as many tools as I have - including enterprise solution, Workfront.

Paymo is definitely worth giving a try!

Cons

I wish there was a way to invite collaborators/reviewers like there is in Asana. If I want a coaching client to be able to collaborate, there is no way to do this without paying for another user.
This is superficial, but, the name! When I tell people about Paymo, they immediately think it's a financial tool, not a project management tool, based on the name. I would hate for this to hold Paymo back in the market.

Reasons for Choosing Paymo

I switched from Asana, Teamwork, and Things. I was looking for a tool with a kanban board option that allowed me to view tasks across all of my projects and I needed a cost-effective tool for someone who is currently solo but building a business. Asana was cost-prohibitive in that I could not pay for a single user, but had to pay for 5 minimum. Also, the kanban board option I was looking for was an additional upgrade for Asana and Teamwork, making these options even more expensive. Additionally, user experience was a factor. Asana generally has a good UI but I just like Paymo better. Teamwork has some work to do in this regard.

Asana

Response from Paymo

You sure did your researh, Krystle, thank you for the review :)

Actually, we're working on an improved client portal with in-app access to guest users, so they can collaborate with you on the same page. This is our #1 priority atm, so stay tuned!

As for our name, this goes back more than 10 years when we started out as a time tracking and billing tool. The purpose was to use the app and GET PAID MORE, hence Paymo :)

Hope this helps, thank you again!

Replied 30/6/2020
Luciano
Luciano

Reviewed on 24/6/2022

Project and task management without surprises

overall sufficient experience. It does not create particular problems for you, nor does it give you particular satisfaction. to work in a group it's fine, as long as you don't have high customization requirements

Pros

Paymo's ease of use is disarming: it allows you to configure your project and your tasks in an instinctive, fast and reliable way

Cons

Working in Paymo I often feel the need to represent my projects in alternative ways, such as a mind map, or generally a graphic board .. but this is not possible in Paymo

Top Paymo Alternatives

Filmon
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 30/11/2023

The Software of Many Hats

Pros

With Paymo, payment and invoicing processing is easy
It comes with time tracking from projects and tasks
Makes remote monitoring easy

Cons

With Paymo, there is nothing like impossibility. No issues

Neal
Neal
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Reviewed on 25/6/2020

Paymo has grown, evolved, and expanded alongside of the needs of our business.

Seriously, everything! I mentioned time tracking earlier but Paymo also does project management, client management, invoicing, estimation, Zapier integration, scheduling, team tasking...and the list goes on and on.

Pros

Time tracking is seamlessly integrated into our current designer workflow. This allows us to calculate the actual time spent on the job so clients understand where their money is being spent. It also allows us to identify where we need to increase project costs (9/10 times it's with 'customer correspondence').

Cons

We've been with Paymo for over 10 years so it was a bit of a kick when they started charging for functionality like Gant Charts. We've always loved the complete 'soup-to-nuts' service that Paymo offered so when certain items were put behind another paywall it definitely stung a bit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trello, Basecamp, Asana and Fiverr Workspace

Reasons for Choosing Paymo

As we expanded our business to include larger, quick-turn clients, we needed a better way to track time spent on projects. We found Paymo and started to implement time tracking and project management. It wasn't long before we were using it for estimating, invoicing, and reporting payroll. Almost a decade later, the platform continues to amaze us with updates and support that we never would have received from other services. We've even had folks join our team from Nike/adidas that say Paymo is something they wish they had at their previous jobs.

Reasons for Switching to Paymo

It comes down to 'bread and butter' of time tracking and project management. We've since added Slack and Trello to our ranks, but have never found a better, more cost-effective way of managing our day-to-day operations than Paymo.

Response from Paymo

Loved the "(9/10 times it's with customer correspondence)" part, Neal :)

Besides Gantt Charts, the Business plan also comes with a Team Scheduling module, 100 GB of storage, and priority support.

We found this plan to be more appealing to larger teams, that's why we've decided to include it in a separate plan.

What specifically do you need from Gantt Charts, the ability to set dependencies or see task deadlines on a calendar?

If it's the latter one, then I have some good news: we're going to launch a task calendar view in the near future, so stay tuned!

Replied 25/6/2020
Jason

Reviewed on 23/2/2023

Paymo is the easiest project/billing/payment platform I've ever used and their support is...

I spend half as much time getting things done in Paymo compared to my last system (Bonsai). My old solution wasn't horrible, it's just that Paymo is so much better.I'm spending less time in the software because everything's seamless, and that's with my number of projects more than doubling right around the time I was onboarding. Seriously, the support has been fantastic.

Pros

Before I talk about my experience with individual features, it's super important to me to say how incredibly responsive and helpful Paymo's support team is. Throughout my onboarding process, we ran into a few issues (some my fault, and a couple small glitches on Paymo's side), but their support team is the best I've ever had. They're fast, helpful, and are serious about taking care of me. Shout out to [sensitive content hidden], who have both been so helpful! The entire reason I switched to Paymo (from Bonsai) was because my old solution was so frustrating in locking me into dumb processes from Project > Tasks > Estimate > Complete Tasks > Invoicing, it was a nightmare. I have retainer clients that will send us a set of small 1 or 2 hour quick tasks, but billing against them was a nightmare because of how Bonsai locked you into their Step 1, step 2, step 3 process.Paymo doesn't get in my way like Bonsai did, it's soooo much easier to track time, capture a subset of timesheet hours into an invoice, and send it on. No kidding, Paymo saves me about 15 minutes on every invoice I sent and probably saves at least 30 minutes for each estimates/quotes.The Paymo macOS app is phenomenally convenient for tracking time on projects. I will never again be without a time tracking app like Paymo, I've recaptured so many lost billable hours by using it.Their Paymo Payments system has worked great for me. I don't have all that much to comment on because it's just seamless for the client.

Cons

I ran into some issues when signing up for their payments system (their payment system works great, this is just the sign-up process). At the time, I was a sole proprietorship and I don't think their processes were tuned that well for my type of business because I had to send in a lot of documentation to get approved (I think it was for fraud prevention measures).BUT, I want to say [sensitive content hidden] was so helpful, and really made it her mission to handle it and get it pushed through, which she did. And she's also lovely and friendly to talk to.There have been one or two other small glitches I ran into that were both handled by support immediately. Neither of them were mission-critical or blocked anything I had to get done. Bpgo

TimeCamp, FreshBooks, Harvest, Bonsai and Clockify

Reasons for Switching to Paymo

It did everything I needed it to and then some, but it was still simple and well thought out. Every feature is a real feature, there's nothing that's been shoehorned in or half-baked. Also, the workflows are really flexible, so I'm not stuck in "their process", I can use my own preferences and workflows.
Savannah
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Reviewed on 17/6/2020

Best All-around Project Management APP

Before Paymo, our office lived off of legal notepads and envelope folders. It was a nightmare. With Paymo, we can just type in a project name or client and see exactly what's due, needs to be invoiced, etc. A huge problem solver for us is the record keeping aspect. Since we can attach notes and files to projects, we are easily able to identify a change request. It was all to often a client would blame us for making a change to a project they did not request, but now we have proof every step of the way. It's been a life-saver.

Pros

After testing dozens of other project management programs, we finally found Paymo and have never turned back. Paymo is intuitive; we needed no training and were able to implement it right away with all our employees in the office. The app is web-based so we are able to access our projects and tasks wherever we need to. This was especially helpful during the 2020 Covid Quarantine wherein our whole office had to work from individual homes.
Paymo organizes all of our projects with tasks, clients, and billing. They even now have the ability to export invoices directly from paymo to Quickbooks or Xero, so we have all we need and less double working to get invoices sent out. The projects are customizable with task lists, templates, and custom project statuses so it's easy to see where each project currently stands. The time-tracking function is amazing! Many of our projects are billed by time, so that was a must have feature that Paymo does flawlessly.
Everyday we enter the office, the first thing that boots up is Paymo and every team member immediately sees their assigned tasks for the day and the following, so there is no wasted time to find assignments. For project managers, the current worked on projects are just a screen away so we know exactly what is being worked on at any given moment no matter where teams are. They are also the best customer service team we've seen so far. When we have technical issue, we can send a message right from the app and get a response fast.

Cons

The only item we are dissapointed in is the scheduling. Our teams works on fast tasks that sometimes need to be scheduled down the hour of day. There is a scheduling calendar that lets you see all assigned tasks but it requires and extra step to actual "book" the tasks in order to move them around on that calendar and see remaining work hours when needed. This is our number one obstacle BUT we have been informed there is a major updated coming that will fix this and we are very excited! Another very small thing that we don't like about paymo is the notification setting that cant be changed. Paymo is great about in-app notifications, it's helpful to see updates in real-time right at the top of the screen. But the issue is for project managers. If someone other than the project manager creates a task for a team-member, than the project manager will not receive notifications if said task was completed regardless of being assigned as a manager of the project. However, we feel we can work around it temporarily until it can be fixed. So overall, with those two items aside Paymo is the best program out there and much more affordable than many we tested out before.

Reasons for Switching to Paymo

Ease of use and implementation. Ability to use with our business style. Price. Export abilities with quickbooks. Customization. Project task visibility. Paymo made making and seeing tasks easy, so nothing gets left behind or forgotten. Contact option. Many other programs could organize projects but wouldn't have clients organization or billing. Paymo has is all, so we only need this one program.

Response from Paymo

Thank you Savannah for taking the time to review us :)

Indeed, I remember we spoke already about the new team scheduling update, which will allow you to schedule bookings at a task level - stay tuned.

As for the user rights, these will suffer some changes with the addition of the client portal with in-app access to guest users. Please make sure to also voice this out on our community forum: https://community.paymoapp.com/t/in-progress-client-portal-collaboration/67/51

Thank you again!

Federico
Federico

Reviewed on 16/3/2020

All the features to manage my work, projects and invoicing

First of all, Paymo is easy to begin to use. I need to keep a record of the time and tasks I execute in the projects I work, but also I need to invoice my clients. Some invoice should be sent recurring, so I needed that feature. Also, I found that Paymo have an API to import my current clients and projects.

Pros

I was using another sowftware but no new features were realeased during years and the support was inexistent. Then I searched for another software to help me to organize my work and tested a lot of options. Paymo was perfect for what I was looking for and the support service was always ready. Also, since I was using the software new features were realeased.

Cons

It was not easy to understand how the recurring invoices work, so I have to read some help documents. I think that general usability is good, but I think that some features should be made more easy to use.

Response from Paymo

Thank you, Federicoo! Can you write us on our community forum (https://community.paymoapp.com/) about how we can improve recurring invoices and the other features you have in mind?

We're always open for feedback :)

Krystian
Krystian

Reviewed on 10/4/2020

Good PM tool

Very good

Pros

We were looking for a simple tool that will combine simplicity of usage together with a lot of features (PM, Tracking, Reporting, Financial Overview) and fast at the same time. Paymo did it!

Cons

Nothing, the app is doing a great job.

Jira, Trello and Asana

Reasons for Choosing Paymo

Lack of general overview, combining projects overview and native features for reporting and time tracking.

Asana

Simplicity, number of features

Response from Paymo

Thank you, Krystian! We've added the possibility to copy/paste a time entry inside the Timesheets module.

Check it out, as well as our Team Scheduling module (if you haven't already): https://help.paymoapp.com/en/collections/34726-team-scheduling

It makes the resource allocation much easier for teams of 10+, displaying workloads, availabilities, and leave days on the same timeline.

Cheers,

mahmoud
mahmoud
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Reviewed on 5/4/2022

best projects management app

overall my experience is awesome with this app I started to use it every hour of my day with it and track my projects and hours,

Pros

I like the design of your dashboard, good design makes me take a good journey with this app
every thing is easy to reach and customize it , adding tasks and projects are very easy to do

Cons

I have a problem with the free trial when I try to add someone to the project I have an error cause this person uses that same app if you people can fix it it will be awesome
and if you make a free version from it with only tasks, projects and time tracking it will be enough for most of the people like me cause I don't need the rest of all features right now

Pavol
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Reviewed on 16/6/2020

Paymo is a great software across platforms

Paymo helps to organize, plan and report our projects

Pros

Easy to learn, easy to use, with lot of features, super support, progressive software, they add lot of integrations, mobile apps, use via web browser

Cons

Some features wait for upgrade, iPad integration missing

Teamwork.com, Trello, Float and Wrike

Reasons for Choosing Paymo

Paymo had gantt chart planning integrated, mobile app and was cheaper.

Teamwork.com

Reasons for Switching to Paymo

Paymo has a mobile app, portfolio gantt chart, time tracking, invoicing, etc. And paymo is really nice software.

Response from Paymo

Thank you, Pavol!

Can you tell me more about those features that you're talking about?

iPad support is not in our plans atm - sorry!

You can write us at [email protected] and ask for Marcel ;)

Cheers!

Matt

Reviewed on 1/5/2020

Best Time Tracking & Management Software

I've tried multiple time and task management products. Paymo has by far the best feature set for the price. It's not to complicated & the support is great. You get a task board, a solid UI, a great calendar that displays when tasks were done & it allows you to easily adjust those entries. By far my favorite tool for tracking tasks across multiple clients & the time spent.

Pros

Quick & easy to get started & great support. Managing tasks & time is awesome with Paymo. I am a huge fan of the calendar views. They have a great set of filters & tweaks you can make to the views. They also offer a great kanban board.

Cons

Invoices could be improved a bit but they're ok. I do need to spend some time learning more about how to build invoices with Paymo.

Response from Paymo

Appreciate the support, Matt! :)

We've just launched the possibility to copy/paste a time entry inside the Timesheets area - be sure to check it out.

Btw: a new, task calendar view it's on its way soon, so stay tuned!!

As for the invoicing part, you can turn your timesheet data into an invoice or create one from scratch in multiple languages. Read our help page for a step-by-step guide: https://help.paymoapp.com/en/collections/34542-invoices

Or write us at [email protected]

• Industry: Graphic Design

Reviewed on 23/10/2019

Paymo Review

Support is great!

Pros

The ease of use and ability to switch views of dashboards, tasks is great. The functionality of tracking time without using a third-party tool is also great.

Cons

No desktop or mobile version and cost is slightly higher than competition.

Trello, monday.com and Asana

Reasons for Choosing Paymo

Paymo was a lot more specific to our industry and was more user friendly.

monday.com

Response from Paymo

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the kind words! We believe in the power of web and want to make Paymo accessible from everywhere, that's why we've opted for a web version.

The only desktop apps that we have are the desktop widget and PaymoPlus - download them here: https://www.paymoapp.com/downloads-and-integrations/

As for the cost, it's a bit of a subjective matter. We couple task management with time tracking, planning, resource scheduling, invoicing, and leave planner - so we pretty much replace the cost of 3-4 apps on average.

Not sure which competitors you've tested us against, so can't make a definitive comment.

Cheers,

Carlin

Great user experience

Great, it was easy to get up and running

Pros

Their support is top-notch and gives genuine replies. Not some generic FAQ bs

Cons

Could be quicker to organise tasks and colour code project in the menus

Harvest

Reasons for Choosing Paymo

Paymo was more task-focused and have a range of useful features

Toggl Track

Reasons for Switching to Paymo

Modern UI and seemed to have better ongoing support

Response from Paymo

Thank you for taking your time, Carlin!

Can you write us at [email protected] to give us more details about how could tasks be organized better?

Ben

Reviewed on 5/9/2019

Simple but great

I use Paymo to organise my time and projects across three businesses. I've used various task managers and high-end project management software in the past, but Paymo hits a real sweet spot for me.

Pros

It's a really simple interface, but still has enough features to make it usable. I evaluated around ten other project management tools before selecting Paymo. Tech support is friendly and responsive.

Cons

I'm not sure if this is just a limitation of the browser, but I find the interface a little slow at times. It doesn't really slow me down significantly, just used to using lots of keyboard shortcuts. More standard spreadsheet-style table entry would be good. But honestly, it's great.

Teamwork.com, Zoho Projects, Airtable, monday.com and Asana

Reasons for Switching to Paymo

Just really fast and intuitive, but powerful enough to meet my basic requirements.

Response from Paymo

Hi Ben,

You're not wrong, the app might experience low speed sometimes (it's a combination of several factors), but we're aware of this and already take active steps in this direction.

As for the spreadsheet-style input, you can go for the Task's Table View to add task details in-line, as well as the add bulk option for time tracking.

Hope this helps!

Ahmed

Reviewed on 29/11/2021

The best solutions for managing all project activities by all team members

For me, I see that Paymo has helped increase the productivity of all members of the work team, by reducing the time that was wasted on them in office work, and allocating more time to field work, which has a positive impact on the final result for sure.
I also find that Paymo helps companies produce realistic, executable programs, as everyone's participation in the formation of the work program will make all things become clearer to everyone, thus avoiding making mistakes that may cost losses in money and time.

Pros

Paymo is an advanced project management platform, providing modern solutions to enable you to achieve success in project management. Paymo enables users to deal with a group of tasks at the same time, which increases productivity and reduces time and effort, especially that which was done with office work by all members of the work team. As companies and organizations, especially the emerging ones, will benefit through their use of Paymo from following up their projects correctly at all stages, as it will help them create a work program, schedule all tasks and display them in an orderly manner using the Gaunt chart and also prepare quotes and invoices.
The ready-made templates that Paymo provides to users, will enable them to use the software in line with their needs, depending on the nature of the projects they are working on.
I also like in Paymo that it works as a database for the project, as the sum of the attachments that the work team includes for the tasks they are working on, will be an integrated archive of the project that we can refer to at any time.

Cons

There is nothing undesirable, the application is easy to use, the notification system and also the customization of tasks provided by Paymo work as required.

Luc
Luc
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 17/6/2020

Using it since 2016 and every update makes me happier

It works, never failed me. Questions with support are always quickly answered and they're very helpful.

Pros

I've been using this product since 2016 and did so in several ways. Every time an update is implemented it's surprises me on it's effectiveness. It just keeps running smoother and smoother. Besides that the tools in the app are nicely designed an clearly structured i like the (multiple) supporting apps to track time very useful. Also nicely integrated with other apps through API. It's just a great product.

Cons

I'm finding more and more ways to implement other workflows in there. My Getting things done method and trello (kanban) are easy to implement. Maybe a notetaking system to implement Zettelkasten (knowledgebase) in there aswell.

Response from Paymo

Thank you, Luc, for your kind words :)

Please upvote this feature request on notes on our community forum to get more traction: https://community.paymoapp.com/t/wiki-or-notes-for-each-project/722

Anne

Reviewed on 13/4/2023

I could not run my business without Paymo!

I felt like I was drowning with random to-do lists and notes all over my office when I started my business. Now I know where to look for everything, and items are much less likely to fall through a crack. I have also had excellent and prompt experiences with customer service. Whenever I have had an issue, they stick with me until the problem has been solved!

Pros

Task creation and time tracking remotely are essential tools I use daily for my business. I appreciate that it integrates with my accounting software and is easy to train others to use. Running a small business is challenging, and Paymo helps me keep on track and organized.

Cons

I do wish I could integrate some tasks into my Google or ICal. Meetings would be great if they could show up there, and I wouldn't have to input the information in two places. I don't want all of my daily tasks, but I would love site visits, out-of-office, or meetings to show up in both areas.

Catalina

Time Saver and Easy to Use

I use it daily to create estimates & invoices in two languages and formats. Following-up on projects so I never miss a deadline. Following-up on payments, I am a one-man show and accounting can be time-consuming. But with Paymo I get everything in one place.

Pros

I have been using Paymo for years now. After long research this was the best app I found to my needs. Easy to implement and to use. I can add as many projects as I want, tasks, view these in different formats, and never undercharge again thanks to the awesome time tracker. I can add invoices and input payment dates, even when payment has been made in different installments. I can have recurring payments, create estimates, and convert these to invoices. And the price is ideal.

Cons

Nothing. I love the software. I would love to see a CRM implementation since these guys know how to build amazing software.

Response from Paymo

Happy to be a match for your needs, Catalina :)

No intentions to build a CRM atm. What you could do is to customize your own sales/pipeline workflow, then view tasks via the Meta Kanban Board.

If you want to see the progression of a project through a pipeline, then I recommend project statuses.

Feel free to post this suggestion on our community forum so it gets more traction: https://community.paymoapp.com/

Thank you!

Replied 24/6/2020
Aaron
Aaron
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 22/5/2018

Paymo is great for time tracking and more!

Paymo makes tracking time a breeze with great management features and role capabilities. Absolutely love the granular control on the reports and ability to manage users, projects, tasks and more. Support has always been super helpful - only contacted them twice in the last 4 years though...so that should say something. Shop approved!

Pros

We've been using Paymo in our web development shop now for years. We love the time tracking widget and always have it up on our desktops or phone to track the time we spend bouncing from project to project. Forgot to turn off the timer? No problem - can easily fix it and be on your way. Setting up projects, tasks, user management - all a breeze. The Paymo team keeps coming out with new features and what used to be just a time tracking tool is now becoming a full on project management tool. We're actually looking to expand how we use Paymo very soon...

Cons

For how we're using it right now, we don't use all the project management features and have found that PaymoWidget 4.0.19 actually works better for what we need presently. As we move our org forward though, we'll be adopting their newest widget.

Colin

Reviewed on 4/5/2016

Deceptively well-designed app/software. Excellent value and clever too.

Do the free trial to see why. You'll get an initial impression that compared to the feature rich apps of Wrike, Asana, Basecamp, Teamwork and many others that Paymo is fairly simple. It is but it has some very-well considered functionality around user permissions, pricing and invoice/report generation. The user interface again looks simple but works great.
For us, what's great about Paymo is:
1. Pricing. Great at $4.95 per user. That's a real per user price. 1 user = $4.95 per month.
2. Additional users (we use many collaborators) can then be switched on/off as required.
3. Good user permissions (switch on/off admin, tasks, projects, invoices, estimates, expenses)
4. The general focus on user performance metrics/utilization (with a good dashboard + individual user metrics by hour, month, project and billed/unbilled time.
5. Fantastic, customisable client reporting and wrap-up invoicing with unlimited free client access to these features*.
*The invoice module ($9.95/month per account - which is great way to charge for this) monitors unbilled time with a one-click invoice generation button. That's a great feature whether you use Paymo to send (and receive payments) or not.
In similar fashion, the client report generation tool is cleverly set-up so you can group time/costs by client, user, projects, task lists, tasks, time, day or billed status as well as include the original budgets by project or tasks. For us that's a massive time-saver and a feature-set that not available or so quick and easy to manage on any other PM system we've tried.
The con's on the present feature list (hence why I've only rated Paymo 4 stars overall):
1. There's no easy to see/use UI control over project/task timescales.
2. Equally, no-billable tasks/reminders don't sit as well in the system.
3. Updates aren't realtime, another great Wrike feature.
4. There's no client/guest access to the project details (which I would have thought Paymo could add easily, by making making the default user status 'view only'.
5. Generally speaking Paymo isn't a slick or richly featured as other leading-class PMs.
However, as of May 4th 2016 there's a promise on Paymo's pricing page that Gantt charts, task scheduling and progress tracking is 'coming soon'. Would be great to know roughly what that means Paymo but those three features even if relatively simple but robust (in Paymo's style) would considerably round-off and build-out the Paymo App experience.

Heather

Reviewed on 7/2/2023

A great way to track your time in the background

Using Paymo has been a great way to track your time in the background, as long as you're thorough for the initial set up. I always make sure to have the app running to track any window, program, and file that I have open. It's even easy to go in after the fact and add unlinked entries to specific projects. I've had to retrain myself on file naming, so that Paymo tracks the correct files for each project, but after developing a naming system I've found my process to be extremely streamlined with Paymo.

Pros

I love simply having the program open in the background to track my time, so that I can spend my time working on my projects and less on trying to keep track and potentially making errors. This makes it extremely easy for someone who bounces from one project to the next frequently.

Cons

It has a bit of a learning curve to figure out how to set up your projects initially. There's a fair amount of front end set up to get the program to work as intended, but once you get the hang of it, it becomes extremely helpful.

Reviewed on 28/11/2019

A compact project management system.

For a mid, small or solo user paymo is just enough to manage any kind of project. The free plan is enough and offers enough features to start and then upgrade if needed.

Pros

Paymo is a very compact project management system. I have used a lot of project and task management for my work and paymo is my new favorite. I like the UI its similar to me like all other project management services.
Paymo is a cloud-based service that means I can now use it with just my netbook and all my data is safe in their server. Cloud data is safer than my pc and secure too.
The task manager is a very simple and nested task is also a very attractive feature for me.
To manage projects one man is enough, this helps me to save a lot of time and money.
The free plan offers a very generous offering.

Cons

The dashboard is too crowded. I don't like to see so much info on my desktop. I prefer the tabbed style revels.

Response from Paymo

Thank you for the kind words!

May I ask what details would you like to show up on your dashboard?

You can also write your use case on this thread from our community forum about customizable dashboards: https://community.paymoapp.com/t/customisable-panels-in-the-dashboard/186

Karolina Schilling -
Karolina Schilling -

Love Paymo for its simplicity

I really like Paymo and would recommend it to any freelancer and small teams.

Pros

I like Paymo and finally, after trying out many other tools, found it the best for time tracking AND invoicing. I'm not willing to use several tools and export/import times only to be able to invoice them. So there was Paymo - easy to use, simple design, easy configuration, time tracking AND the bloody invoicing!

Cons

Only the mobile app. It's not very nice in usage and mobile you do not need all that features. Could be simplier and easier to use.

Response from Paymo

Kudos Karolina!

Indeed, the mobile app will get collaboration features such as task assignment, rich task details, and comments with the next release.

It's something that we're currently working on, so stay tuned!

Austin
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 9/7/2023

Paymo

I had a good experience with Paymo and I would tell a friend to get it. Just one con that doesn't effect much.

Pros

Paymo is a good place to plan for projects and expenses or manage billing and invoicing. Projects come with expenses.It makes sense to have both and makes things go faster if you've got to manage it all on your own sometimes. Paymo has estimates too.Paymo doesn't cost a lot, it's not hard to use, and not hard to integrate with things you're already doing.

Cons

It's really good to have time tracking while I'm working and it does work but it could be better if it stopped after I didn't do anything for a while, like the screen timer on my phone. I can set it to shut off after 1 minute to 10 minutes so the battery doesn't run down if I forget to turn it off.