Rain POS Reviews

About Rain POS

Rain is an all-in-one point-of-sale, website, and marketing system for small to midsized retailers. Music, dive, sporting goods, paddle, craft, sewing, quilting, and clothing boutiques will find Rain is an excellent fit for...

4.1

Browse Rain POS Reviews

NATE

Reviewed on 16/11/2020

Make the switch to Rain!

I also love being able to track repairs, replacing our previous hand written system. Priceless.

Pros

Having out POS integrated with our website and Reverb is key for us, especially during recent times of shut down.

Cons

At times the system has quirks that are an annoyance to the user and is a low priority fix for developers.

Sam

Reviewed on 30/1/2020

Like Sew POS Review

Overall we are happy with Rain/Like Sew. It gives us an easy to manage Web front end for our store that behind the scenes in completely integrated with our Brick & Mortar operation. Improvements are still needed in many areas - the system is a work in progress regularly rolling our new and improved functionality.

Pros

We bought it for the seamless integration of Web and Brick & Mortar inventory management, sales and ease of use. It works very well for this purpose.

Cons

It is ultimately POS and Inventory Management software with little Accounting functionality. Daily exports to QuickBooks or other software are required, with additional entries in the accounting s/w to accommodate accounting best practices, Taxes on Receiving orders, billing and other financial tasks not accommodated in Like Sew. There are still some issues with Sales, Shipping and Taxes in Canada, and there is no ability to set up multiple price levels internally

POSIM

Reasons for Choosing Rain POS

WIndward was an excellent ERP level system with integrated accounting, however, it was technically complex, did not integrate easily to a web site, would have cost a significant amount to integrate web and shop data for sales and inventory management, and incurred significant annual/recurring maintenance charges

Reasons for Switching to Rain POS

Ease of use, simplicity of architecture, direct web integration and an offering specifically tailored to the sewing/quilting industry
Aurora

Reviewed on 29/9/2023

Taking Full Advantage of Rain is a Big Job

I haven't taken advantage of online retail or marketing. I just don't have the time to set up and implement these features so overall the price has not been worth it for me. The website builder is so bad that I am looking for another alternative but the initial setup fee was so high it really does sting to switch to another provider (maybe that was the point).

Pros

Rain was sold to me and my music store as an all in one solution for POS, website, online sales, marketing, job orders, repairs, rentals, the whole nine. I love the POS and inventory part. The site is a little laggy to start and then everything works super fast. Most things in this realm are intuitive.

Cons

The onboarding cost was kind of high and I don't feel like I got that much out of it. The trainings were unnecessary and could have easily been done with a video. I really, really, really hate the website builder. They set up my website as close as they could match to my previous one from Wix and they did a pretty good job (although I discovered some mistakes that were pretty bad, such as the wrong phone number for my store, they were easily fixed by me) but I am frightened of doing anything to it beyond changing the text. I would say their web builder UI/UX is straight out of the 90s but that even the 90s had the concept of draft and publish. EVERYTHING you do on the website builder is IMMEDIATELY live and there is no way to revert to an early version without contacting them.

Square Point of Sale, Shopify POS and Toast POS

Reasons for Switching to Rain POS

I got a postcard in the mail and called up. The sales pitch was good and it had more features specific to music stores and at the time I liked the idea.

Response from Rain Retail Software

Thank you Aurora for your feedback! We are reviewing your response as it we are striving to always improve. Thank you!

Top Rain POS Alternatives

CashFootprint Point-of-Sale

Lightspeed Golf

Nick
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 29/3/2022

Great POS, Horrible customer service support.

Pros

Easy to use and has great functionality. Could have a little bit more functionality than it has to make it great. However they need more people to fix bugs and enact on others suggestions to develop the product further. Customer Support is a joke!

Cons

Customer Support is a joke! I contacted support about a glitch. I told them to call me because I broke my wrist and easier to explain than typing it out. They refused to call me as if their time was more valuable in R&D than fixing bugs. I cant type with a broken wrist. All this is one fingered.

Molly
  • Industry: Textiles

Reviewed on 13/9/2021

Rain/LikeSew vs GoDaddy

I am glad I took the plunge, put in the work, with the help of friends, and moved the shop over to Rain/LikeSew this past summer. It was worth the hard work and effort. I can now offer my customers specials and appreciation programs, keep up with inventory and manage files more efficiently.

Pros

LikeSew is more precise at managing my inventory and handling the day-to-day business of running my fabric store than GoDaddy ever was. I now know exactly how much inventory I have on hand and it's value and what categories it falls into.

Cons

There could be some improvements in the email marketing program and the inventory receipt areas.

Shopify POS

Reasons for Choosing Rain POS

I had no control over inventory management and it was time to renew my GoDaddy products.

Reasons for Switching to Rain POS

I had used Shopify at a friends business and I didn't like it.
Jacob

Reviewed on 18/9/2023

Very successful at retail and education management

Good. It took longer to get set up than we had hoped, as the integration team was swamped. There customer support is ok, but lengthy.

Pros

I like the integration with My Music Staff. I also like the ease in which we can automate customer payments for services and rentals.

Cons

I do not like that we cannot easily adjust pricing, and have difficulty on supplier invoice tracking with taxes.

Response from Rain Retail Software

Hi Jacob,

Thank you for your response! As I am reading the response, I would love to learn more on where we can help make changes. If you could email me I would love to learn. Thank you!

Noel
  • Industry: Music

Reviewed on 10/11/2020

Noel Saucedo Co-owner

I have been a believer ever since i saw them at the Namm show.

Pros

The ease of this software is very important. Being a small business i really don't have an I.T department so you guessed it we all become the I.T department in our office. The templates are easy to fill out and get your online presence ready for your clients.

Cons

The con is not a Rain problem it's not having the time on our side to complete at this moment.

Pheobe

Reviewed on 16/11/2020

An Outstanding POS System

I am able to work proficiently with everything except learning how to take my inventory and have it imported to QuickBooks.

Pros

I am able to input inventory into the system in a timely manner.

Cons

I wish Rain Retail system would import my inventory over to QuickBooks. I have to input inventories in the system twice.

Laura

Reviewed on 22/12/2020

Rain POS for Yarn Stores

No point of sale system is perfect. But we are happy with the functionality and effectiveness of Rain. The fact that Rain is continually improving and updating their system has only increased our satisfaction over the years.

Pros

We have used Rain POS (Like Sew) for over five years and are very satisfied with it. We love that our website (recently upgraded by Rain) integrates with our POS, keeping our inventory numbers accurate. The Point of Sale is very user friendly. Reporting is decent. The website is simple to update.

Cons

While there are sometimes reporting issues or technical issues, Rain has an easy process in place to report problems online or by phone, and they are generally responsive in a timely manner. Rain also has a method to make suggestions on how to change or update the POS/website. I appreciate that they are willing to take our suggestions!

I do wish there was a report for Items Received; it would be nice to be able to create custom reports.

The only major issue we have with Rain is when the system crashes - either because our internet goes out (in which case we are able to use our iPads on cellular to ring up customers) or because Rain goes down. Luckily, this is very rare! And when it's Rain's issue, it is usually remedied quickly.

Finally, it would be great if Rain integrated with Sage Accounting software. We have to manually transfer data from Rain's reports into Sage Accounting. This is time consuming.

Shopify

Reasons for Choosing Rain POS

We wanted to integrate our website and our point of sale system.
Emad
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Reviewed on 31/12/2023

Rain POS is more than POS, its Retail solution.

Rain POS is made for large and enterprise businesses.

Pros

Rain POS covers most retail functions in easy, friendly ways, and deep customize.

Cons

Rain POS provides a cloud version only which makes some concerns from weak internet areas and more risk in online.

Aloha Cloud and Aloha EPOS

Response from Rain Retail Software

Thank you Emad for your response!

• Industry: Music

Reviewed on 6/6/2019

Software with lots of dreams but lots of issues

Rental, class, and automatically populating the website is a big help for us saving time. It hasn't really made us more money as advertised.

Pros

Overall, this product has helped us get our products on the web and other selling sites quicker than in the past. The rental and class features have saved us a bunch of time

Cons

Too many bugs in almost every feature. In addition, bugs are fixed and changes are made without communication to the user base. Rain keeps adding features but the basic features still are buggy especially in accounting for costs and inventory valuation. In addition, once a bug is submitted and sent to development, we are not sure of the timing of the fix or the actual fix.

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise and Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Rain POS

Rental and class features and integration with Reverb.
Jeremy

Reviewed on 15/2/2017

The POS system that I was looking for.

I'm the owner of the NAMM 2015 & 2016 Top 100 Dealer, The Acoustic Shoppe in Springfield, MO. We tried the "big guy" of our industry, and found it to be outdated and not user friendly. After a year of attempting to get it up and running, we started looking for an alternative when we ran across RAIN POS. It feels like navigating a website through your browser so it was easy to learn. Within a little over one month we had our website built, products in our system, and were live with running transactions.

I love that everything in in the cloud, so I can run sales in my parking lot, at festivals, trade shows, etc., or just access reports anywhere from my phone. Putting items on our website is just a button clicked, and inventory is shared online and locally so if I sell online, it's taken out of stock in my local system, and vise versa.

So far customer support has been great to work with. We have run across a few minor bugs in the day to day use, but they are pretty quick at getting it straightened out. I'm sure it doesn't have all the depth of that other system, but I'm able to use it and they are adding features very quickly. We don't do rentals right now, so I can't say how well that part works. We do a lot of repairs, some sent off site, and the work order module works great for keeping up to date with the repair status. We're waiting on the Lessons module that we here is in the works, and a better way to handle consignments and trades.

So far we are very happy with RAIN POS and our interactions with customer support. I highly recommend.

Pros

Ease of use, and integration with our e-commerce site.

Cons

There are a few features that I'm waiting on that will tailor the system more for the music industry.

Miles

Reviewed on 9/2/2018

The future of how small businesses survive

Using this system allows you to provide a customer experience on par with, or even better than, what is expected from a successful business in the 21st.

Pros

Feature laden! and they are still developing more music store specific features! One customer data base, one inventory database. Integrated POS system, integrated Wed Store, integrated repairs system. Then add on: integrated short term rentals, rent to own with auto pay, layaway, email marketing abilities, gift card ability, coupon ability, push products to Reverb ability, create and save quotes under a customer name, track store account balances and apply to transactions, purchasing lists by vendor populated with qty triggered items and with and easy receiving and item costs updating.
Outstandingly responsive customer service!

Cons

Still waiting on the private lesson feature =( But it is in development and it sounds like it will be finished Spring of 2018. Would be great to see invoicing against a quote so I could do school business with schools requiring a PO number on an invoice for payment.

Todd

Reviewed on 15/2/2017

User friendly POS/Website for a small business.

Rain POS has allowed me to present the entire inventory of my retail shop available online. When photos for my items are not available from vendors, I snap a few with my iphone and they are uploaded in seconds.
I am not a computer tech by any means, but have found making changes to my site an easy task. When in doubt I find one of the helpful webinars and by he end of the viewing I am comfortable tackling the next task.
Customer service has been prompt and thorough. I have not had to call often, but when I do the matter is resolved within minutes. This is a plus as I typically operate my shop alone.
Recently I realized that I was not utilizing the SEO portion of Rain to it's fullest potential. My google placement was lagging back on pages 4 to 7. I spent 3 hours watching a webinar provided by Rain and spent a few weeks plucking away at my site. I am happy to say that 60 days later I am appearing on the first page of searches I deem important. One again I was able to accomplish this utilizing tools provided by Rain, not by paying an outside SEO company for this service.
Overall I am extremely happy with Rain and have recommended it to several other business in my area.

Pros

Ease of use even for a person not formally trained in computer technology.

Cons

Just a few small glitches here and there, but they continue to make improvements and they are quickly resolved.

Tawni

Reviewed on 28/11/2022

Rain Retail (Like Sew)

I found Rain to be overall a good package for a small retail operation. You don't have to have extensive computer experience, but with all software, the quality of its performance is proportional to the quality of the data (i.e. product information) you put in.

Pros

You are not required to purchase proprietary equipment to use this software. You can use all features anywhere you have an internet connection. You are not limited to the number of registers you can use. It manages our retail sales, website sales, and class enrollments. Inventory for retail and web is integrated.

Cons

They are in Utah, so sometimes they are not available for support when my shop is open. Reporting could be better, more flexible. Getting changes or additional features is a slow process.

Gwen

Reviewed on 10/2/2022

Customer support is awesome

Wonderful

Pros

Easy to use, and help with inventory and daily and year end reports

Cons

We have no suggestions for any new features we would like to see.

Tami
  • Used for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 28/7/2018

Never worked, horribly inaccurate migration of sales history

Unfortunately, all I got was a whole lot of wasted time and a loss of money for absolutely nothing. I really wanted it to work, and it might have, had they been able to migrate my sales history.

Pros

my contact was really nice.
I was very excited about the integration aspects of the software, unfortunately I was never able to use them.

Cons

I was initially assured our sales history could be migrated. Later I received an email saying it could not. I responded that was unacceptable and I did not wish to continue with the software. It is useless to us without it. I was reassured if I exported the data in the correct formats, it would work. We spent three days checking the data to assure a high level of accuracy and sent it in the requested formats. I was told the migration team would take care of the rest. Untrue. We spent weeks, rechecking the data which was horrifically incorrect. We sent several punch lists. Some of the errors were fixed but often we were told "we don't know why this is happening". Even simple yes/no columns in our spreadsheets were randomly incorrect. Were we told we would just have to manually check all the data; over 3000 customers and 19000 sales receipts. We worked for three months, 100s of hours and have never been able to go live due to all of the errors. I couldn't enter employees in the system without them being an administrator, which they classified as a "glitch" and told me to use a different computer than the one at work. I have desperately tried to get these issues corrected. When I requested a refund they said the fees were non-refundable after the migration is complete. My migration was never complete and I requested not to continue with them if they were unable to migrate my sales history, before they started the migration. This system did not work as advertised and sold to me.

Jed
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Reviewed on 8/12/2018

Worst POS ever?

I’ve been suffering through the Rainbow pOS for the past three years. Hands down the worst POS I’ve ever encountered. Only reason we haven’t changed is the hassle of doing so. Once you become a Rain user you’ll have access to a feature that helps to recommend what features you’d like to see. This is probably the best feature only because I can see how every other user of Rain is as frustrated as I am. They keep saying they are making improvements but nothing ever changes.

Pros

Rain is cloud based software.
It’s pretty inexpensive compared to others
Works on any computer with internet.

Cons

Reporting is lacking
Have to click three buttons to print a receipt
Glitchy and buggy
Inability to remove items from orders that don’t ship complete
Customer service is lacking

skye

Reviewed on 13/7/2017

Hands down the worst customer service

My last conversation with them included telling me that they have far too many customers to be able to look into every single error and that the only way they would look into an error is if I can replicate it for them. Let me repeat that: Only if their customer, generally non-I.T. trained people, can figure out what went wrong in their faulty system AND replicate it for them, will they take the time to see if I.T. errors need to be fixed. He literally told me that Rep is innocent until proven guilty. Customer service at its finest. Let that sink in.

Cons

As an advanced user of similar products, things as simple as field mapping is beyond their capabilities. For example, the receipts our customer's receive don't even break out the shipping and taxes, even though there are fields for it. Instead, they just see zeros. If this is too much for them to handle, imagine what else is. We've been waiting for them to fix that for close to a year now.

• Industry: Sporting Goods

Reviewed on 16/2/2017

Pinewski's Ski & Board Shop

We have been with rain for several years now and have been very happy with the ease of use of our POS system. The professional handling of all our questions and needs, and their customer service, has been second to none. We are continually learning as Rain continues to improve the functionality of their program. We would rate Rain as a top notch program.

Pros

simple to use, but yet has the ability to fulfill all our POS needs.

Cons

the inability to make corrections to mistakes without contacting Rain i.e. reversing voids, having voided sales show up on my daily sales reports, and the customer history shot;ld show open sales and or on account sales as a different color or as an open sale rather than completed sale.

Patricia

Reviewed on 21/1/2020

Like Sew Software

In the beginning support was good and they really seem to care about helping your business grow. Now they want to add stuff that I don't need and keep raising the price

Pros

I originally like the fact that the POS interacted with the suppliers . Made it easy to load inventory into the system. Now they are raising the cost so much it really does not pay for itself.

Cons

The cost is high for a same business to use.

Kathleen

Reviewed on 13/9/2021

Software solution that understands our business

We were a new business and needed to find companies to design a website, provide eCommerce and POS solutions, and a platform for customer communications. We were pleased to find them all within one company.

Pros

The website design process took our branding into mind. It is easy for both us and our customers to use.
Inventory management is intuitive.
Point of sale function is also quite user-friendly.

Cons

Occasionally there are glitches in the system when it interacts with outside programs, such as shipping or payment companies. That being said, there is ample opportunity to suggest new features, report bugs, or communicate directly with customer service to help fix issues.

Lori

Reviewed on 31/3/2021

Review of Rain POS for Quilt Shops

Overall, I've been very happy with my experience and their software. Customer service has always been helpful if I had a question or issue. The software has integrated well with my QuickBooks software so that's been helpful as I'm learning QB. The efficiency I've gained by using this software versus going other routes has completely justified the value for me and my business.

Pros

Once you learn the system and features, it's pretty easy and intuitive. I like how integrated everything is - purchasing, receiving inventory, online and in-store transactions. Adding new products through almost any of my vendors is fast and easy.

Cons

The software is under constant development which is good, but also challenging. I like that they are continually working to improve the product, but it can be time consuming to keep up with constant changes.

Sierra

Reviewed on 3/2/2023

Terrible Customer Service

It was great when we first switched. However it has just gone down hill.

Pros

It was sold that it would be a great fit. It is very inexpensive.

Cons

They do not know what they are doing. They can only help you for 30 mins and then say that they do not know how to fix the issue so they have to get off the phone. Their labels do not work properly and they ast like it is not a big deal.

Response from Rain Retail Software

Hi Sierra,
Thank you for your response and I am so sorry for your experience. I would love to learn more about your experience as we are trying to revamp certain areas to make things better for our customers. If you can email me, I'd love to talk through things. Thank you again for the response!

Dagmar

Reviewed on 30/1/2020

Rain POS / Like Sew Website Review

I really benefit from the synced inventory. Overall, my experience with the POS and customer service has been positive.

Pros

It manages the inventory in real time between store and online purchases. Now that I have learned how to manage the website, it is easy to frequently change the home page, add new inventory and create promotions. The inventory catalog is a major time saver.

Cons

There are some surprising disconnects: although a customer is set up with 10% discount, the discount will only apply automatically when purchasing in the store. Somehow the store customer and the (same) web customer are not connected. Lack of integration with shipping companies. Cumbersome uploads to QuickBooks.