Gymdesk Reviews

Visit Website

About Gymdesk

Welcome new members, grow your membership base, and automate all your operations with Gymdesk, a leading membership management software loved by hundreds of sports clubs. Enjoy dozens of advanced features: - Bring your business'...

4.7
4.9

Browse Gymdesk Reviews

Kris
Kris

Reviewed on 15/8/2022

The Best Martial Arts Software out there!

I had started with a competing product and while it kind of did what I needed it was just... meh. I switched to GymDesk and could not be any happier - it does exactly what I was looking for in a school management software at a very reasonable price!

Pros

- Easy to use
- One stop shop - the creators have thought of everything
- Simple for members
- Website is connected directly to the back end which is connected to the online shop and Point of Sale which keeps everything simple

Cons

- Would like a little more flexibility on the Design templates for the website
- Sometimes the help can be a little tricky to navigate but jumping on the Live Chat solves things in minutes!

ABC Glofox, MyStudio, Mindbody, Kicksite and WellnessLiving

MyStudio
Stephen

Reviewed on 9/10/2020

Nothing but amazing!

Pros

The beautiful UI and overall feel of the software got us hooked! This software is on par if not better than most big named software out there that we have tried at a fraction of the price! Although there are a ton of amazing features, nothing comes close to how the customer service makes you feel when you join. Customer service is hands down the best thing about this software. If we have an issue they personally emails us back almost instantly to get it resolved! They are there anytime of day to assist and make sure the software is running at its full potential. The best of all is that they listens to feedback and actually implements them! WHAT? I've asked my recent software many times for what I thought were simple requests, and have always gotten a "we will see what we can do" response. The software is constantly being updated and cared for! Martial Arts on Rails has been one of the greatest decisions we have ever made for our school/business. Don't be like us and wait to get started. Sign-up now and see for yourself how amazing this software is!

Cons

There is nothing to dislike. If we have an issue the customer service finds a way to fix it. No matter what.

RhinoFit and WellnessLiving

Reasons for Choosing Gymdesk

Kept feeling like the price was going up while more and more restrictions were being added. We would contact customer support just for them to transfer me to another person who would then transfer us to another person, that would make us wait for an email that never arrived. Also It felt/looked like their software was stuck in the early 2000. Complete opposite of Maonrails!

Reasons for Switching to Gymdesk

Pricing. Integrations to our current billing system. Beautiful UI and customization.

Reviewed on 10/10/2022

TERRIBLE customer service and support--simply terrible.

Terrible. I am cancelling and going with the company's competitor. At least they provide a customer service phone number.

Pros

It is an OKAY membership management platform.

Cons

Gymdesk's customer service and support is TERRIBLE. For one, they do not provide a phone number at ALL. After several emails asking for a callback, someone responded back that they do NOT do CALLBACKS but that they would SCHEDULE a customer service call. Really? Okay, yes, let's do that. What a pain. Especially because I am calling about the 3 THREE charges a month that my $75 a month service is supposed to cost.

Response from Gymdesk

Hi Mark,

While we do not provide live phone support due to our customers being in many timezones, we do provide extremely effective and quick one on one support via live chat, email, or a scheduled video call on demand. We responded promptly to your inquiry and addressed your concerns in under 1 hours time. Ultimately, it was a user error on your end that we helped you discover and resolve.

We did everything in our power to address this and are sad to hear that you chose to no longer utilize our services. We take pride in our customer service as evidenced by the many other reviews here. Since this review was submitted before we could clear your misunderstanding regarding the charges, we hope you'll reconsider. Regardless, we wish you the best with your gym endeavors.

Replied 28/11/2022

Top Gymdesk Alternatives

Connected Mind

Acuity Scheduling

Angela

Reviewed on 7/9/2021

Top Value

I am very pleased with our choice to go with maonrails. This system was initially meant for our yoga and fitness programs, but the benefits we are seeing in our karate programs is amazing. The students love how easy it is to use, they love the portal and payment option. The free website is easy to set up, with lots of choices to customize. We run a number of different classes using this program and it keeps us organized so we can focus on the classes rather than the back office. The report features are very helpful to keep each program separate. Overall, using this program has saved us hours of paperwork each week. It is the program we didn't know we needed until we tried it! Definitely would recommend giving it a try. Great customer service, great website and amazing tool to keep ranks, dates, payments, attendance and schedules organized!

Pros

The price was the selling point. Not the cost of the program, but the fact that there was not a tiered system for pricing. You know exactly what you are getting from day one! The program is also very easy to setup and use. The support is fantastic. Not being one that is up on all the latest technology, they took the time to walk me through things, step by step. They were answering my questions and assisting right away so I never had to wait.

Cons

Being in Canada, there are some features that cannot be used based on the payment processing company we use. There is none that allow same functionalities as in the US. I am sure it will be in a future update.

RhinoFit, Zen Planner and WellnessLiving

Reasons for Switching to Gymdesk

We were looking for a program with no additional/hidden fees for options. We wanted one price and know what was included without having to purchase/increase costs for updates. Wanted a no hassle program that would be user friendly for everyone.
Andre

Reviewed on 20/10/2022

Very Happy

Amazing customer service. Great software for members and administration.

Pros

Ease of use for myself and members. Website development. Customer Service.

Cons

There are some filters I could use with Mindbody when running reports or creating back end changes which make things easier.However I have only thought this once or twice in my year of using their software and it does not impact my operations.

Acuity Scheduling

Reasons for Choosing Gymdesk

Initially cost. Gymdesk was recommended.

Mindbody

Reasons for Switching to Gymdesk

The trial was incredible. The setup was easy and fun. Great member feedback.
Leigh-Ann

Reviewed on 9/9/2019

Best Martial Arts Specific Software We've Used, Exceptional Customer Service

The customer service with MAonRails has been fantastic. Eran goes out of his way to help and answers quickly. They were also willing to work with us on price which for a small school is greatly appreciated.

Pros

The interface is clean, easy to navigate for students and administrator. Easy to customize and get up and running quickly. Like the family account feature, belt ranks are easy to create, add, and modify. Customer Service is fantastic, quick answers and always willing to help.

Cons

That each document cannot have a customizable email saved. A bit difficult to navigate belt ranks when different classes can count towards time in grade. Also, the gym schedule is not great. Would like to see a month at a time.

Sabrina

Reviewed on 28/2/2022

The Factory Dillsburg - GymDesk Customer Review

10/10 amazing experience

Pros

I absolutely love this software. The customer service, how user friendly the software is, the troubleshooting support, and all of the different functions that the software offers is amazing. Based on all of the things each software pricing level offers, Gymdesk sets itself MUCH higher over other software programs available. I would recommend to anyone.

Cons

There are some features i wish there would be more options for customization.

Brian

Reviewed on 3/9/2020

Simple and User Friendly

Onboarding was easy, tutorial videos/FAQ was helpful, but it was already easy to navigate prior to even watching them.

Pros

I really enjoy the simplicity of setting my academy up on the software, the positive feedback from my students who use this for class reservations, and how easy it is to navigate day to day operations.

I really wish I discovered this sooner so I could've saved myself from the headaches I experienced using other software platforms.

Customer service is great and very responsive which helps for troubleshooting on the fly.

Cons

I think it would be great if there was a feature within the software to interact with members where they would be notified if an admin user posted something under the content section or even a community board where we can also post updates.

Reviewed on 2/12/2021

Excellent software to manage a martial arts school

I don't have to manually keep tabs on when students need to pay. It's much easier to have the system remind them rather than me. I like that fact that I can run the website, billing, attendance, and marketing all in one system!

Pros

The system is very straightforward and not difficult to learn. The support is fantastic. Any questions I had were addressed in a very timely manner. The price is right for a small martial arts school to be able to save time managing the business side of running a school.

Cons

Overall, the software is great but some a couple more customizations would be nice. Being able to customize the dashboard to display what is most important to the administrator. More customization on the website. Example, being able to change the link "Book" on the schedule to something else like "Free Trial Class". I use the booking function for leads rather than students.

The check in screen can also be a little easier. Possibly have student names listed that are able to check in to next session available so they can just click on it.

Zen Planner and Mindbody

Reasons for Switching to Gymdesk

The biggest draw was the price and the ability to try the software for free.

Reviewed on 25/10/2019

Best software for us

Pros

This software is very easy to set up and manage. Our members can quickly and easily sign up and update their information at anytime. What’s even better is that there were no annoying sales calls from people trying to sell us of features we didn’t need.

Cons

K

Mindbody

Reasons for Switching to Gymdesk

Martial Arts on Rails had all the features we needed! It’s affordable and easy to use.
Svenja

Reviewed on 30/9/2020

Easy to set up - super helpful in our daily workload

MAoR was super easy to implement in our gym and almost self explaining. If there was any question we got lightning fast responses and help.
It seems they are still developing further features for the application and adding it with every update.

Pros

Members can admin their profiles themselves and keep them up to date
Recurring payment and customized membership options
Homepage set up via MAonRails
Various Admin / Staff profiles with different access options

Cons

- payment options not compatible with Switzerland ;-)

Kicksite

Reasons for Switching to Gymdesk

MAoR is build for BJJ gyms, so it met exactly our needs. Pricing is very attractive and it offered the functions needed for our gym. We took the free trial and were convinced this is the software for our gym!
Estefan
Estefan

Reviewed on 12/11/2021

Our go to for a martial arts facility management system

Pros

displays all the information i need with easy to use navigation and simplified interface.

Cons

certain settings are hard to find. It would be nice to have them all in one tab called "settings" with tabs within that to separate payments, memberships etc.

Reasons for Switching to Gymdesk

affordability, ease of use and modern interface
Molly

Reviewed on 30/1/2020

Makes My Life So Much Easier

Using Martial Arts on the Rails has made my life much easier. With the last management software I was using I had to spend hours on the phone and honestly just dreaded going in to the gym to work on the computer. I now have a lot more confidence in the way that I am managing the business, our programs and our memberships and I am more organized.

Pros

I have found that this software is easy to use. It is pretty intuitive as how to navigate through the system. It is easy to add, cancel and manage memberships. I like the simplicity of running attendance and financial reports. I have found the support to be great, I always get a quick response. I also like how it is easy for me as an owner to control what kind of access my other gym staff has access to.

Cons

The only one thing I have found that I have had trouble with is when I search for a member if they are frozen their name doesn't come up in the search. I have to go to the frozen tab to find them.

Becky

Reviewed on 23/9/2022

Really please with Gymdesk.

The support is really, really responsive. I am impressed with that. Almost always within an hour or two, or quickly next day. The best.

Pros

It 'sings' to me. So much software is not 'ready out of the box.' There was such a learning curve. Many charge, demo required etc. As a busy gym and yoga studio owner with some capacity to learn on my own, I was up and in this in less than 5 minutes...and understand most of it. From there, it has served me well on customer management, communications, booking and payments.

Cons

I could use some more specific things pertinent to how I run my businesses, but perhaps others don't. So I could use some customization on a few things. I also get confused from time to time on the forms/sign up/membership connections...I think that could be better explained. Again though, it may be how I run my business not necessarily what makes sense for most consumers.

Sebastiao

Reviewed on 10/9/2019

Transformed our Club

Prior to using Martial Arts On Rails we operated a manual system and as a consequence we were losing track of payments, grading, etc. For our club to continue to grow and provide the type of service our students deserve we did some extensive research of automated systems and opted for Manonrails as we found it to be a feature rich system which not only manages the basics very well but also allows you to monitor trends and provides a variety of metrics on the clubs performance and tools to help you grow the club. The sytem was created and managed by CEO who himself is a Martial Artist and therefore uniquely understands the needs of a martial arts club. In the event of any issues or queries the responsiveness of their customer support is nothing short of exceptional, we are on a different time zone here in Europe but that has never been an issue. Maonrails has totally transformed how we manage our clubs and we would have no hesitation in recommending them!

Pros

Ease of day to day use...Does not need additional hardware (works off a smartphone, tablet, pc, etc).... Feature rich... Dashboard providing a snapshot of key metrics...

Cons

Nil - anytime we have identified a new feature that would benefit our club they have modified they system to add the desired feature.

Justin

Reviewed on 9/8/2019

Highly Recommended Tool

Overall experience has been great with Martial Arts on Rails from the staff all the way through to the system itself, the support is phenomenal and you're dealing with real people so it makes communication much easier... I would highly recommend this to anyone no matter how small or large the organisation it makes sense to invest in something that captures your payments and manages the data for you so you don't have to do it manually!

Pros

The ability to tailor the belts to suit my academy and secondly that once setup its easy to get people registered and actively using the system.

Cons

None - I have no issues with the software or its capabilities!

Yan

Reviewed on 13/8/2022

Almost satisfied

I'm enjoying the experience. The software is making our business routine easier.

Pros

Attendance tracking:
- Pros: you track everyone on the class that they belongs

Punch Card:
- Pros: We found a way to create a membership as "Punch Card" and it's working the remaining class pretty well.

Check In Report:
-We can see every student that checked in and their dates.

Cons

Attendance tracking:
- Cons: Some teenagers are attending adults class and there's no way to track their attendance on adults class counting attendance for new stripe or promotion on their belts.

Punch Card:
- Cons: We can't take the expiration date for future charges. We have to select a date for the next payment even if the remaining classes are not done.

Response from Gymdesk

Thanks for the positive review of our product, Yan! We're glad to hear you found it useful for your business. There is an option to have a session apply towards promotion in multiple programs by setting it to "All Programs" - if you need more help with setting that up, please reach out to our support and we'll be happy to assist you!

Replied 17/8/2022
Daniela

Reviewed on 1/2/2022

great software and customer service

Pros

user friendly- members has a great experience with their members page
staffs have a better time management.
great customer support

Cons

Right now you can only see the next month payment schedule in the member profile. wish they could add several month auto payment schedule in the member profile, so that we could manage the payments more freely when we need to give one free month at the end of the client membership, or if you need to cancel a specific month payment.

Reasons for Choosing Gymdesk

we were looking for a more efficient service

Reasons for Switching to Gymdesk

it was referred by someone we trust

Reviewed on 1/9/2019

Martial Arts on Rails Review

Pros

Simple interface
Most needed features
Quick turnaround for bug fixes
Open to suggestions for new features

Cons

Unable to work directly with back-end data (though this is understandable), more export options would help here though
Would prefer a self hosted open source solution if one were available with comparable feature set
Self-sign-in when multiple classes available feels less intuitive than other processes

Douglas
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Reviewed on 11/10/2021

Instructor

Pros

Having used a couple products prior, this one works best for our schools, because of the size, the affordability and features. We use to have to carry hard copies of paperwork/release now we can pull it at any location, even at tournaments sites if needed.

Cons

The inability to just read or replay to messages seems to be a bit problematic as I get email notifiations, but, if I don't read the email or on the message screen, those messages may go unanswered for some time.

Joey
  • Used for Free Trial

Reviewed on 8/7/2019

Slick looking and easy to use

My experience was great. I ended up choosing another product, but it wasn't because of any defect in the product. MAOR is both advanced and simple at the same time. It has all the basic functionality you need to get started right away. I had my site basics set up in about 10 minutes, and within an hour I had my contracts all set up and ready to merge. If you're after a highly tweakable product, this may not be it, but if you want something that is easy to use, provides a good user experience, or, most importantly, if you're not a technical person - if you just want something easy to use so you can run your club/school, then definitely consider this offering. This product is so easy to use that anyone could use it.

That being said, I had a lot of questions when I started using it, but mostly related to trying to get it to do things that it wasn't designed to do. The support from the developer was outstanding. After asking a few questions to understand what I was trying to do, most of the things I was asking about were met with a "yeah, no problem, we can add that".

I'd have not hesitation in suggesting you check out this product.

Pros

The interface is sharp, and simple to navigate and find what you're looking for.
Able to set up a trial account and poke around without first having to sit through a lengthy pitch.
Developer responsiveness and support.

Cons

The interface isn't very customizable (the color scheme and icons). Also the options for layout are pretty static.

Response from Gymdesk

Thanks for the review and feedback, Joey, it's very much appreciated!

Replied 9/7/2019
George

Reviewed on 23/6/2020

excellent software

Pros

Constantly improves software features. Very prompt with support and any questions. We highly recommend Martial Arts on Rails.

Cons

No complaints everything has worked very well.

Yoshi

Reviewed on 22/8/2022

Fantastic product and customer service

Fantastic- great product, even better customer service- have sent multiple questions via email and have always received detailed and fast replies.

Pros

Clean, intuitive UI that is very easy to use and maintain our memberships. great product, even better customer service.

Cons

when i started using this software, there was no integration with GoCardless- however since then, Gymdesk has implemented this! They were great at communicating the update to us.

Nick
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Reviewed on 4/10/2022

Amazing product with excellent service!

We handled all of our members, monthly payments, POS, leads, etc. with multiple spreadsheets and several different products. It saves us so much time and give us peace of mind to know that almost everything we need is in one place!

Pros

Aside from the ability to customize this software to meet our school's needs, the team is very responsive and always willing to answer any questions we have! They have even been able to implement some small new features within a few weeks to make our experience that much better!

Cons

There aren't many things negative about this software; the only thing may be integration with more apps. However as fast as they are improving, I wouldn't be surprised if that happened soon!

Franck

Reviewed on 21/4/2019

Great support

We are a university club, with 30-40 members. Just enough members to justify a membership system but not enough to afford the big names.
We are a martial art club, so I look at 50+ different options and try ~10 that were affordable.
MAOnRails was in the top 3, I was sold by the support that was absolutely, and still is, great. Very fast response to explain, correct or enhance.
I can only recommend this software. It is not the cheapest but far from the more expensive. Definitely worth the money!

Pros

- Best support ever
- Quick bug & features turnaround, even when paying the lowest plan
- All features requests are considered and thought through
- Payment integration with square and stripe
- kiosk mode for in gym/dojo check-in
- manager and members interface to allow members to see own membership, pay invoices, etc
- integrated document management for waiver and T&Cs
Many other features, I suggest you to do the free trial

Cons

It is really a great software, any cons I came across was swiftly corrected/updated by the great team behind the software.

There hasn't been any request/features that where dismissed by the team so I want to say no cons!