About Practice Fusion

Founded in 2005, Practice Fusion offers a cloud-based EHR that includes a suite of integrated features like charting, e-prescribing, patient scheduling, lab and imaging integration and more. Additionally, practices can qualify...

Browse Practice Fusion Reviews

Michael W. Michael W.

Reviewed on 1/7/2020

Beware of the limitations

Customer service is poor. Phone support is essentially non-existent. E-mail support is hit or miss. If you ask about how to do something that the program doesn't do they will just ignore your question. The documentation about how to set up the patient portal or even how to know what it looks like to the patient is lacking. Training videos overly simplistic. Pricing structure limits the number of staff per provider that can access the software. They lock you in to a contract period with no cancellation option until the time is up.

Pros

Cloud based with straight forward and uncluttered user interface. Easy to set up key phrases and text shortcuts. Scheduling works about as expected. Integrated e-prescribing works better than some other ehr products.

Cons

All scanned outside documents are stored in a separate database from the patient's chart - i.e. you can't access that scanned specialty report from the patient's chart, you have to look it up separately. No place to enter the results of in-office lab testing. No true charting templates.

Gianna D. Gianna D.

Reviewed on 14/12/2017

Practice Fusion has odd limitations and customer support does not resolve glitches quickly.

We benefit by having a free EMR that does electronically send superbills to our billing software (Collaborate MD).

Pros

The best part about Practice Fusion is it's free. I'm very excited that for 2018 we can submit Meaningful Use Data through Practice Fusion directly, which is going to save me a lot of time this year.

Cons

The scheduler is inefficient - I pushed my company to use CollaborateMD (our billing software) for the scheduler because of how awkward and inefficient Practice Fusion is in this category.

Renee C. Renee C.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Reviewed on 18/3/2018

Good value while it was free, now that it will be cpsting per month, per clinician, we will be...

It was a good introduction to an EHR for a new and growing practice, when it was free. Now, at the new price point, it is not nearly the same value in comparison to it's competitors who offer integrated billing at the same cost, voice mail reminders, better product support instead of relying mostly on it's user-generated fourums, etc.

Pros

Little lag, reasonably cohesive interface, easy enough to use once you gett over the learning curve.

Cons

Poor support which relies on the Practice Fusion community of users to answer questions for each other, no voice mail reminders to patients, difficult to find correct documentation for MIPS and not notified when info changes.

When Practice Fusion was bought out this year, they sent an email to their customers, promising continued commitment to them; however, when they decided to change their structure to cost per Doc,, per month, including part-timers, there was no email notification, and no pop up on their site to let people know. I found the notice in an innocuous looking box on their dashboard, that was so plain looking I had missed it for two weeks. Apparently, they are giving their long-term customers only 3 months notice to pay full price for their subscription, or lose their functionality. That's not a lot of lead time to make a decision about an EHR or make a change, especially when they haven't even taken steps to inform most of their customer base. No ramp up, no grandfathering, no communication. No new features for paying for the same free product, and you still have to pay extra for integrated billing. At this price point, my group now has many more options for fully supported, versatile products. Sometimes the way that something is done, says a lot about how a company views their customers.

Top Practice Fusion Alternatives

Daniel O. Daniel O.

Reviewed on 20/1/2018

Software being managed by morons

Make this open source so that providers can add functionality to their system. Retain your revenue through advertising as you are doing, from labs, pharmacy, radiology connectivity but give assess to tweak simple issues. Then you would truly be the leader so sought to be.

Pros

Free, able to get up and running in no time. Web based. runs on both desktop and tablets.free to the provider.

Cons

Simple tweaks that need to be done are completely neglected. Absolutely cannot talk to support. Difficult to have patients register and if you run a walk in clinic which most places are then forget it. Be ready to type in every last digit yourself. They tout integration with labs, pharmacy and radiology but only those integration to make them money and really i do not care, they should be profitable to remain in business but don't make me use to your product and when you have issues they throw it to a " crowd voting system". As a user i had never even realized that a voting system existed and as a busy provider i do not have the time to read through to find some fix i need already reported. How silly and draconian, who ever came up with this idea needs to be fired!. The founder definitely has no more involvement with this software otherwise he would have seen that no support and inability to adapt to simple tweaks leaves a horrible last. DO not use because you will have trained and gotten used to this and then issues would arise as they always do and you are faced with looking for another. No integration with billing software and this is why. A list of billing companies are given as partners but communication is one way. The super bill flows into the billing but no way to know what a patient owes when they return . There are lots of free clearinghouse but PF in their infinite wisdom will not integrate.

Lynette G. Lynette G.

Reviewed on 12/12/2016

PF review

Given that it's free, I don't feel I have the right to complain too much, however, customer service has NEVER been a strong suit in the 3+ yrs I have used PF in various settings. I live in MI and don't understand why I can't yet e-scribe controlled substances in my state when other EMR's have been for quite some time. Having to create emails for more than one practice is absurd because then you have to remember all those emails should you ever need to reset certain things. I have made a few recommendations over the years and none of them were, I guess, important enough to consider. Lastly, the fact that you can't get rid of test results that were sent to you in error makes it look like you have more unfinished business in your EMR, and there have been no easy fixes to this. The one fix I was given I don't even remember because it would require triple the time to get rid of them from my account, and this just isn't a priority with me right now. It fills a need right now, but I am having to look for another EMR just because it's not meeting my current needs in all levels. Sad to say, but it's too bad this can't be fixed.

Pros

That it's free, fairly easy to use, but not always simple. Has gotten better over the years.

Cons

when creating a superbill, often sends a message "fix validation errors" before you can save as ready to bill, but no errors are listed or highlighted......WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?!?!?! The only solution I have found, to date, is to go through and start erasing diagnoses, one by one until I can save. Then, I know I am losing revenue because I have had to erase so many! Also, not being able to save partial info (name but no bday) means you can't save a few steps ahead and make it easier to begin with a new pt....or partial insurance info until you can actually get/see a copy of their cards. Medication interactions are often incorrect or marked as urgent yet when I contact the pharmacy, they don't have the same interactions listed on their system to worry about....and those stupid yellow drop-down reminders do nothing but get in my way. Searching for new pharmacies is sometimes difficult because it won't bring up the correct one.

Reviewed on 6/8/2020

I like it

Very positive.

Pros

It was free in the beginning which was cool, but I still find value in it. Once the templaters were done, things are simple and easy to dictate.

Cons

Would like a little easier way to chart and dictate and change things. I saw a mutate button on a competitor to change the order of the note.

eHealthFiles and ChiroTouch

ChiroTouch
Harlan E. Harlan E.

Reviewed on 25/9/2020

Manage patient records

From the beginning, Practice Fusion allowed our practice to fully switch to government mandated electronic medical records. And with that switch it allowed us to earn rewards from the government. As practice fusion has grown, we have grown with it. Although no longer free, it does offer a free 2 week trial period with out having to even put in a credit card number. I highly recommend you give it a try!

Pros

I was an early adopter when this software was offered free. For a small practice that was vital in getting us to switch to electronic medical records.

Cons

As crazy as it sounds, that fact that it was originally offered free made it seem like it was just Cheap That could not be further from the truth!

EpicCare EMR

Reasons for Switching to Practice Fusion

The choice was easy, Practice Fusion was free!
Amy G. Amy G.
  • Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 6/2/2020

Practice Fusion Customer Service and Use Issues

We do use practice fusion for multiple providers who find that it works well to integrate with the billing software

Pros

Practice Fusion does allow practices to pretty easily link up with multiple billing softwares, and it allows for simple tracking of patient records and note keeping. It is pretty simple to run a report and see why a claim is not populating into the billing software from PF.

Cons

The option to keep documents in a patient file is not entirely user friendly, as you have to scroll through all of them to find what you are looking for. I often run into glitches in the bridge built between PF and the billing software we use. I also have trouble with customer service at PF every time there is an issue, as you are not allowed to call any more (the automated message will hang up on you) and the online support ticket is slow and cumbersome. I would expect kinder and more efficient customer service now that practice fusion is a paid service

Kareo Clinical
Taylor E. Taylor E.

Reviewed on 30/7/2019

Beggers Can't Be Choosey

So far, so good.

Pros

Practice Fusion is a free EHR program. You do have to pay for doctor licenses obviously but for a generic EHR, you can't beat it. I like the visual view of the schedule when placed on "WEEK VIEW" and the fact that we have the option to log on when we are not in the office for emergencies.

Cons

Practice Fusion is not very user-friendly. It has gotten much better within the last year but it still has a long way to go. My least favorite thing about Practice Fusion is the process of scanning and uploading documents in to a patient's chart. You must scan, name and upload each individual file SEPARATELY. There are times when we have 10+ documents to scan in for a single patient and because of PF's process, we tend to get a little behind on our scanning. I wish there was a way to mass upload or mass name documents.

Ali A. Ali A.

Reviewed on 24/10/2019

Easy

Used it for 6 years, but i have to move up because of the lack of many features we needed.

Pros

Very easy to use. No need for training. Very simple. Fast. Integrating with labs is easy. Integrating with radiology is easy.

Cons

Not many features that can advance the practice. Very slow in putting new features in the system so we can get more work done.

Kareo Clinical

Reasons for Switching to Practice Fusion

The ease of use
Dr. debra M. Dr. debra M.

Reviewed on 31/8/2017

For our 2 person practice, this software allowed us to become electronic and meet all...

It allowed us to become electronic at no cost and provided us with the means to meet all the governmental requirements and receive incentives. It is cloud -based so we can access our records from anywhere - it's useful when we are on call and can review the records. We have most of our patients request electronic refills which is much faster than any other way to prescribe and patients appreciate that their prescription is already at the pharmacy. It also allows you to make your own flowsheets to individualize your records. I recommend it highly.

Pros

The COST and the way Practice Fusion is continually responding to our suggestions and constantly
improving itself. We also started using other vendors we learned about from Practice Fusion like Updox which is an electronic fax program.

Cons

most of our large labs and all of our radiology do not interface with Practice Fusion so the paper copy needs to be scanned and put in chart.

Angus M. Angus M.

Reviewed on 26/7/2017

Fantastic Web Based EMR

Pros

It is web based EMR. Our office found it easy to implement. It is great that any computer with internet access can be your work computer. I compared to other EMR's - it as a clean modern interface. It is built to get you meaningful use and other quality measurements. It is completely free to use, so you can try it out. The support is also superb - chat support is better than phone support most of the time. Our office productivity has gone up after we implemented it, something I have never heard about another clinic after implementing an EMR.

Cons

I wish I could eRX narcotics in California. I wish there was a view that had in order all the things that as happened: refills, encounters, messages, documents. I also wish in the summery view there was a pane for tasks in the patient summary.

Ann H. Ann H.

Reviewed on 17/5/2021

False promises. Poor customer service.

The worst part is that they claimed to always be free but then once the company sold, they started to charge. And not only that, when I asked whether I should sign up for a longer term contract, my representative told me (documented in a long email exchange) that I shouldn't and he would know when prices would go up and I would be notified beforehand so I could lock in the current rate. He talked me out of the longer term contract. I have this documented. Now, I received a notice that prices are going up. I have been in communication with a rep at PF [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and sent her copies of the email exchange and she said "I apologize but there is nothing we can do". I asked to speak to a supervisor twice and she has not responded. I just sent my third email. What they could do is honor what was promised to me. I have this exchange in writing! And what horrible customer service-ignoring a request to speak to a supervisor not once but three times.
When you sign up with an EMR, it's not an easy proposition to switch. BEWARE OF PF.

Pros

Easy to start and use.
It was free and I chose it specifically because they advertised that it would "always be free" but that turned out to not be true.

Cons

Unable to put in an automatic reminder to patients to book a follow up appointment one year later.
Unable to easily download medical records when patients or other physicians request them-you have to download one document at a time. It can take 30 minutes plus to download a chart.
Reports are not reliable. Specifically in generating patient lists.
Horrible customer service. Do not stand by their word. Refusal to connect me with a supervisor.
I have been a customer since 2013 and the customer service has continued to decline despite the cost going up.

Alice W. Alice W.

Reviewed on 1/5/2018

Benefits do NOT outweigh the risks

Once your new user status is up, and the likelihood of you switching EHR's is very low, there will be no support, and no accountability. With ever changing regulations, payer policies, clinical guidelines, drugs and technologies on market, certification requirements and on and on, do you really need to worry about how your EMR is going to force another change on your practice and livelihood.

Pros

simplistic design, customizable templates, integrated calendar that answering service can use for scheduling, used to be free

Cons

Labs do not get attached to referrals. As a Nephrologist immersed in lab results, this is a key function for me! When remedy ticket is created, the representative talks in circles, sometimes taking a week to reply. One rep finally acknowledged this was a known issue.

One year later, I contacted cust service to request a full data extraction to migrate to another EHR. Same run around. Tried the live chat, no one came to chat, not even a chatbot. Tried the service phone line. Following prompts for "patients and providers with accounts", the recording directs patients to their providers, then disconnects without even addressing provider issues. Tried a different prompt on customer service line, placed on hold by recording, then a live person comes on just to put me on hold for another 5 minutes before I get disconnected.

The direct messaging function for other PF users stings. The messages or attachments cannot be recognized as a consult or lab result etc, only as message.

lab or imaging orders that are still outstanding do not produce alerts. No shows do not produce alerts. Billing issues do not produce alerts. These factors make PF a glorified blog with minimal extra functions rather than a true EHR.

Their attempts at assisting in clinical decision making fails. It is geared mostly for primary care physicians. ex: If the patients last BP was suboptimal, there will be an annoying banner to tell you the last BP was suboptimal. I'm a Nephrologist, patients with easy to control BP do not get referred to me, I don't need a distracting banner for this, or to remind me to ask patients if they have urinary incontinence, or screen them for HCV. You can bank on a reminder to screen for lipids when they get an advertising account from a statin maker.

The fact that their previous CEO advertised that "PF is free and will always be free for providers", and now they are charging a monthly fee or will hold your charts indefinitely should tell you that PF is not a company to be trusted. There is a high likelihood of future drastic changes in cost or service since many clients are captive by the difficulties of changing EHR's.

Miriam L. Miriam L.

Reviewed on 11/3/2019

try something else

Pros

what i LIKED was that it was free
has really gone downhill since i started paying for it

Cons

since i started paying, the software has become less user friendly
worst of all, it is impossible to get in touch with someone from customer service. it was easier when it was free (and then not all that easy). What am i paying for?
Have been on hold for 20 minutes and have moved up fromposition 19 to position 14. Who nowadays has the time for this?
I tried 3 times last week to ask my question online and got no response as yet (though i do have 3 ticket numbers)

Ellen B. Ellen B.

Reviewed on 14/4/2017

Think carefully before using

I have used practice fusion since 2010. In the beginning, tech support was helpful and expedient. While there were many system fixes, in the beginning, they generally improved the situation. However, over the last several years, the tech supports has declined significantly. Even more frustrating is the ability to communicate with a supervisor to resolve issues. Most recently, there is an error in a drug called Belbuca, only approved for pain because Practice fusion feels that it is the same as suboxone!. Have tried to explain to many tech support, same pull down menu. A little better on the phone but no change in results. Ridiculous that this cannot be resolved.

Pros

Free

Cons

Poor customer support.

Reviewed on 24/2/2021

User friendly

Good expereince and no vital problem using this website. I highly recommend this if you want to use inexpensive EHR/EMR.

Pros

IT's very convenient to use. I'm working as a certified healthcare virtual assistant. It's more like a VA but focused on the medical side. I'm the one who handles real-time documentation for my client directly to her EMR which is this PF. It's very convenient and easy to use. We can pretty much do everything directly to this EMR for example. referrals, order prescriptions, etc.

Cons

Well, you can't use this without the internet. The insurance list is not updated, as well as the pharmacy list they have on their system.

Sandra D. Sandra D.

Reviewed on 12/4/2017

Practice Fusion

I have used Practice Fusion at two different offices. It is a free product and qualifies for the federal incentive programs. It is capable of completing all of the basic requirements of a physician's office. The providers did not have trouble using it and we still use it in one of our smaller offices.

Pros

Free program, qualifies for the government programs, fairly easy for the providers to navigate.

Cons

Cannot be used to do Rural Health billing. Support was more personal in the beginning, now most problems are handled by e-mail rather than speaking with a person.

Yan L. Yan L.

Reviewed on 11/10/2017

A free EMR that offers so much

If you don't need specialty specific functions, PF is a really good software.I used it for almost 6 years. I like it!

Pros

It has scheduler for patient appointment booking including online booking. The ability to create own charting templates and edit any time. Eprescription connection with local pharmacies. Support meaningful use.

Cons

The online portal not necessarily bring in new customers but mainly existing customers. Lack of electronic devices integration. No ecommerce through PF.

Teri B. Teri B.

Reviewed on 2/5/2016

Review of Practice Fusion

Pros

I love that it is easy to use, easy to adapt to, staff and students can quickly pick it up, and that it is free of charge! I like the ability to customize templates and dot phrases.

Cons

There are some limitations with it for a gynecology practice that involves a lot of imaging and lab reports. There is not a fast way to access imaging results from within the SOAP note, and this becomes an issue for our particular practice, but for a practice that was not so built upon imaging, it would not be as much of an inconvenience. Labs can be viewed by scrolling up in the SOAP note, if the interface for each lab works appropriately.

Tracie S. Tracie S.

Reviewed on 20/11/2019

Excellent Value

Overall, Practice Fusion has been an excellent way for the small practice to keep up with the larger practices.
Easy for the staff to use and for the doctor to make templates.

Pros

Practice Fusion has allowed our small practice to quality for all of the insurance companies incentive programs with the Dashboard it makes it easy to know where we stand.

Cons

Hard to get things changed or added - program recommendations - interfacing.

Anita S. Anita S.

Reviewed on 21/1/2015

Very happy with Practice Fusion after changing from eCW

Pros

It has good search functions and is pretty smart in matching the terms I use to find a diagnosis with the terms that are in the codes. The Meaningful Use reports are great and easy to run. ePrescribing and labs were very easy to set up. I love the fact that it is free! The help forum and tutorial videos have been a huge help. The templates give more flexibility that some in being able to mix and match different components of a visit. For example, for an endometrial biopsy, the procedure is going to be the same regardless of the indication. With PF, I can have one template with four options for the subjective, all tied to the same procedure portion. Also, the security is good, according to my IT Person.

Cons

The classifications of staff, nurse, NP, and MD are somewhat restrictive. I had to give everyone MD level access so that my MA can lock telephone encounters; otherwise, I would have to sign every single phone encounter and insurance document. It would be nice if labs could be transmitted electronically and if the templates could have diagnoses associated with them. It would also be nice to have some flowsheets.

Reviewed on 24/2/2018

Overall good prouct

Free
Fast
No down time

Pros

Ease of use and thoughtful time-saving features that help reduce aggravation. It's a well designed doctor friendly product that has taken some of the wrinkles out of the process without users always being aware of the behind the scenes effort. Fast and responsive.

Cons

Government reporting is not inclusive for all specialties. Not all possible MIPS measures are present.

Reviewed on 13/3/2019

Gets worse every month

I am excited to say that we are finally getting a new EMR. Practice Fusion is simply TERRIBLE. The 3 days notice for a change THEY MADE was the last straw for our practice.

Pros

I liked that it was free and truly helped me build my practice, without paying for an EMR when I opened. When Practice Fusion fell short, it was ok because it was free. The always stated they would be free and then sold out. They promptly started to charge but changed NOTHING!! Now you pay for something that was free, with terrible Customer service.

Cons

They simply have no idea what they are doing. 3 days notice given to practice to update prescribing because they used a new company. Instructions are TERRIBLE and their system is not ready for it. Additionally, they are TERRIBLE with MIPS and meaningful use. YOU WILL GET PENALIZED IF YOU USE THEIR SYSTEM. 3 set meetings, that they simply did not attend. My entire team was sitting around a table, for the MIPS meeting THEY REQUESTED and 3 times they did not attend or even contact us. They DO NOT respond to calls or emails BUT when you log into the EMR you see "SIGN UP FOR MIPS". It is a joke.

Neveene R. Neveene R.
  • Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 27/2/2020

PRACTICE FUSION USER

RUNS A LITTLE SLOW. SHOULD BE ABLE TO ADD MULTIPLE INSURANCE CASES LABELED ACTIVE OR INACTIVE.

Pros

ABILITY TO FILTER APPOINTMENTS BY PROVIDER, PENDING, ARRIVED OR CANCELED. ABILITY TO UPLOAD DOCUMENTS TO FILES. EMAIL/TEXT PATIENT REMAINDERS.

Cons

ODD HOW YOU HAVE TO APPROVE FILES UPLOADED FROM ANOTHER SCREEN. CAN NOT ADD SEPARATE PINNED NOTES. WISH YOU CAN CREATE NEW CASES SAVING OLD INSURANCES.