About OpenTable

OpenTable is a cloud-based restaurant management solution that enables restaurant managers to accept online reservations and optimize seating arrangements. It is suitable for restaurants of all sizes. OpenTable is available in...

4.7
4.7

Browse OpenTable Reviews

1,113 of 1,112 reviews
Robert

Reviewed on 13/9/2018

Best SW for restaurant bookings

Excellent product with whom we hope to be happy for many many years to come...

Pros

As we have 2 restaurants in our company, we are always looking new ways to promote them and to have less empty seats for lunch or dinner. We have found about OpenTable online, and we contacted them several years back. At that time they were only U.S. based, but last year when they spreader their network in Europe, we were the first company in our country that signed the contract with OpenTable.
Their training staff was great, introducing the system and training our staff.

As were the first users, we believe that we gain enough advantage for the time being and the fact that we were the first helped us to increase the business in our restaurant - times four....

Cons

In this part we would say the fees, but the fees are ridiculously small, we counted that we are spending or giving 2,5-3% of our revenue to OT, which is really small when you count the fact that any mediator would ask for 10%...

Eric R.
  • Industry: Research

Reviewed on 13/1/2022

OpenTable is great when it is properly configured, but hides too many useful tools

Pros

When OpenTable had a cleaner reservation system, it was excellent. You could book way ahead of time and they had a points-based system that earned you rewards. Sometime a few years back, they lost a lot of their functionality and they seemed to lose their ability to book a lot of restaurants they'd previously had. The rewards system was a big part of my regular use, so I stopped using them as often as a result.

Cons

When there is a reservation option on the listing for a restaurant, it is kind of hidden. This makes very little sense.

Caitlin
  • Industry: Medical Practice

I love OpenTable!

Pros

This is the best way to make reservations easily! It’s super user friendly!

Cons

I haven’t had any issues with this software.

Top OpenTable Alternatives

Pablo
  • Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 22/12/2022

Good way to know restaurant availability

Pros

The app helps you check availability and make reservations at restaurants.

Cons

I prefer when restaurants have their own reservation and check in system. Because sometimes working with a third party like OpenTable makes you dependable on their software, system and accuracy.

Lena
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 13/10/2022

It's like having a Maître d' at your finger tips

Open table is like having your own personal Maitre D' at your fingertips because, you can customize your experience and Open table will make sure the restaurant sees all the needs and requests. I love using it especially when traveling and booking ahead. You can have your reservations all set and if you need to cancel, it is an easy process.

Pros

OpenTable is great for booking last minute or planning ahead at any restaurant in most cities. Everything is at your finger tips, menus,directions, reviews.
Very user friendly and you are able to customize your reservation with any special needs that you have.
You get see all the choices that are offered of dining in the area that you are looking.

Cons

There is not much I do not like about this software. I would like to see the VIP points never expire. There are times in life that you are not going out alot and it would be great to have that feature. The VIP status though, really does not do much and there are a small percentage of restaurants that will accept there. I would like to see a priority in seating, or a comp of some sort.

Joni M
  • Industry: Publishing

Reviewed on 29/11/2022

Plan ahead or reserve on the fly!

I love that I can find and book a reservation during conventions and other busy times and not wait in line and hope for a table.

Pros

The OpenTable app is easy to use and lists most of the restaurants that require reservations. Usually, the best restaurants in the area are on the app. I have used it in most of the 50 states in metropolitan areas.

Cons

In rural areas, there are fewer listings. I suppose in small towns, fewer restaurants require reservations.

Jenny

Reviewed on 29/11/2022

Always happy when OpenTable is an option for booking a restaurant reservation

Reliable service for booking a restaurant table. Never have to worry if someone took correct information over the phone because you receive confirmation and reminders. Fantastic!

Pros

So quick and easy to use to find an available seating. Great to have text reminder of reservation and ability to cancel online.

Cons

Sometimes if a party is large a phone call to restaurant is required- but it's understandable in that case.

Lan

Reviewed on 21/12/2022

One of the easiest and best for you.

Pros

It's easy to use and has a lot of restaurants. It's easy to change reservations.

Cons

Wish there were more restaurants and restaurants take into consideration the notes. Sometimes they don't read it.

Celina
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 21/12/2022

Open Table revieew

Pros

I like open table because it is easy to make online reservations.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say, my reservations always go thru okay.

• Industry: Online Media
  • Used Monthly for 6-12 months

Great for Making Reservations

Pros

I like that it's easy to see open reservations in your area and that you can set calendar reminders for reservations as soon as you book them.

Cons

Honestly no complaints on my end. it's pretty straightforward.

Aron

Reviewed on 22/8/2019

A great tool for restaurant

We have used them for years and would highly recommend them to small, non-corporate restaurants trying to be seen amongst so many local restaurants.

Pros

Easy for our guests to make reservations, tracks guests visits, you can enter guest notes and historical data to make their next visit more meaningful. They often have "Top Ten" lists for the categories that guests vote you in that you can use for marketing purposes. Reviews on Open Table are considered 'legit' as only real diners can write reviews.

Cons

If you have more money to spend, a program like SevenRooms has more guest tracking data capabilities for tagging and targeted emails/marketing. Can get expensive if your guests often use Open Table to make reservations.

SevenRooms

Reasons for Switching to OpenTable

If we had more money to spend, we would move to SevenRooms, but it is vastly more expensive so we won't be making the switch anytime soon.

Response from OpenTable

Hi Aron, thanks for taking the time to write a review! We really appreciate your recommendation. We are now able to offer very sophisticated CRM capabilities through Venga. You can learn more here: https://restaurant.opentable.com/products/venga

Replied 5/9/2019
Megan

Reviewed on 4/10/2019

Opentable and Venga

I’ve been using it in every restaurant I have worked in for 13+ years. The continued evolution of the product is much appreciated.

Pros

There is so many benifits- ease of use, platform for managing reservations prior to and in the moment, it aids in generating reservations, retaining guests and collecting data. Now that there is a venga connection I’m over the moon!

Cons

Honestly the cost per reservation is a little high for small owner operated restaurants but the added benefits are unmatched.

Yelp Guest Manager and SevenRooms

Reasons for Choosing OpenTable

Now that venga has been added we will be moving away from another product.

Reasons for Switching to OpenTable

Main stream product used by 90% of market. Allows for better advertising and venga is amazing!
Dave

Reviewed on 23/7/2020

OpenTable Lover

OpenTable has been a pleasure to use since it's new facelift, I would recommend any and all restaurants to get on board.

Pros

Finally upgraded a lot of options for the software. It's been years and years making suggestions with this company, glad they started to finally implement what industry people needed.

Cons

The cost associated with some of the repeat business seems like it's unnecessary, but as long as it's driving business towards me I'm OK with it.

Ashley

Reviewed on 19/10/2018

OpenTable is a great resource for keeping managing restaurant reservations

Pros

My in-laws own a restaurant and I often help them from a technology and operations perspective. They had trouble managing their reservations. They only open for dinner, and they would spend a lot of time every day listening to Voicemail reservations, trying to get parties back on the phone to confirm, and trying to manage cancellations vs. openings with an antiquated system. When I suggested OpenTable I did not realize all of the problems I would be solving for them. OpenTable brings reservation systems into the 21st century, and allows patrons an easy way to make, change, and cancel restaurant reservations with the click of a button. For the restaurant owner or manager, it saves all of the time you use to need for follow-up, and all of the administrative management needed to handle cancellations and book optimal service volume.

Cons

There is nothing that I do not like about OpenTable for business. It has brought a lot of value to our team, and has become a major asset that we rely on to book reservations. Patrons are as happy with OpenTable as we have been in the decision to start taking reservations through them.

Angela

Reviewed on 2/7/2018

Are use it all the time

Very convenient and a great timesaver

Pros

This is an unbelievably convenient and functional product. I use it to find restaurants easily and reliably when I travel. It's much more convenient than having to call the restaurant. I can make reservations any time of the day and go back-and-forth between restaurants to compare available times. Then, after I finish making my reservation, I could send the information to the other people in my party with just one click. Because of this product, I have tried many new restaurants and in many different areas that I wouldn't have otherwise tried. And, of course, the point system gets me a coupon every so often.

Cons

My biggest complaint is with the interface. I use it as an app on my phone mostly and sometimes I have trouble finding what I'm looking for. It works much better on the desktop.

Thomas

Reviewed on 5/3/2020

Perfect for small independents

It easily allows myself as a manager and my staff to manage bookings, helps identify where tables are at, what time they need to be turned. Much better than a paper system.

Clear indication of bookings
Easy to make notes for specific bookings
Excellent in time management

Cons

Reduced cost from online bookings
More options to indicate where tables are at
Better automatic table allocation

(struggled to find many cons to be honest)

Reviewed on 19/8/2021

The must use app for making restaurant reservations

I love using this app! Booking a reservations takes about 30 seconds total. They follow-up with a confirmation email, as well as emails after your dine, offering the ability to rate the experience for the benefit of the restaurant and other users, and they promptly credit you the points you've earned. The app also lets you input any special occasions you'd like to notate, which is really handy for birthdays, anniversaries, etc.

Pros

The OpenTable app rewards you for making reservations - something you would likely do anyway! Not only that, but it makes the reservation process that much easier. You simply look up the restaurant, instantly see what days/times are available, and in a few clicks, you have your reservation. As soon as your reservation is completed, you earn points for dining. Once your point balance gets high enough (which doesn't take that long if you dine often), you can exchange those points for dining credits, or use them for discounts on hotels, or on flights booked through Kayak! You can supercharge your point earnings by selecting restaurants that have need dates/times that they would like to fill, often earning you 10x the points you would normally earn on a regular reservation.

Cons

The only negative is that not every restaurant is on it. It does have a dominant presence in the industry, so while you may not always find a cafe or coffee shop, a reputable restaurant is usually on the platform.

Lauren
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Reviewed on 23/7/2019

OpenTable Kept Our Guests and Staff Happy

Overall, OpenTable provided my restaurant with the ability to track guest who dined at our restaurant. It made the experience smoother for our FOH staff, especially our FOH manager and hostess.

Pros

The best thing about OpenTable is you're able to see who will be coming to your restaurant in advance. I don't necessarily mean each day (although that was great too!), but in the days prior. We were able to staff the restaurant accordingly by how many guests we were expecting. The interface was smooth and reliable on both our end and that of our guests.

Cons

There weren't many flaws with OpenTable. We had times when it wasn't updating in real time, but that may have been due to our internet capability.

• Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 26/9/2018

Convenient, easy to use but minimal rewards and missing restaurants

I use OpenTable weekly to book restaurant reservations. I love that the app is easily accessible. I have had issues with needing to book two locations within a 2.5 hr timeframe... the software does not allow this, which is inconvenient, as some of us need to use two accounts to meet our needs.

Pros

Convenient, especially with the app on mobile devices. Love the different search options (name of restaurant, location, type of food). Like that there is a reward component.

Cons

Missing a tier system! I want to be rewarded to designated as "special" for all my points... not just claim a gift card that I will use and then never see again. There should be a designation that gives frequent restaurant attendees not just point to claim and then disappear, but also to get special seating or VIP treatment in some method. Also, some restaurants do not participate in Open Table... either very private ones or certain locations for chains... inconsistent. Perhaps if Open Table offered benefits beyond the same platform for reservations, more restaurants would participate.

Reviewed on 31/5/2019

Open Table: Easy to Use!

I have realized that there are huge benefits to using this for lunches or dinners with co-workers or with candidates who are here for a meal during an interview process. This really saves time as far as working with admin assistants on scheduling, but most importantly all of the confirmations and follow up e-mails can be used as documentation for purchase-card reimbursements or for doing those entries at the end of the month. This is an ideal and fast platform to use, and really has a very basic and easy interface. The time of use is very quick, only a minute or two if that (and that is for the first time use!).

Pros

I appreciate that this app has a very high ease of use when you utilize your phone to make reservations. Even using the online app is very user-friendly! One thing that stands out about this product compared to others is that you can select different times for your restaurant reservations; you can actually make the reservation from this product instead of just getting on a wait list or "in line" like other products. I love the follow up e-mails that they send for updates and confirmations as well!

Cons

I do wish that the restaurant you are booking would send a confirmation as well, or even that they have seen your entry. I always call JUST to be safe; even though the app sends a confirmation e-mail I like being sure; having the restaurant even send a text to confirm would be useful.

Charles
  • Used for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 8/9/2020

An expensive but ultimately necessary platform

Once you are able to get past the frustration around cost, it quickly becomes apparent just how powerful of a tool OpenTable is. It is necessary for any restaurant serious about attracting new customers and while there are competitors, I have not found any that can match the compatibility of their integration tools, nor one that has anywhere near the number of customers using the service. It is a must have.

Pros

The software itself is very easy to use and intuitively designed. The integration directly into the restaurant POS is extremely helpful, and the compatibility appears to be nearly universal with any system you might be using. They clearly have invested in the product and the user experience, both for the proprietor and the end user.

Cons

It doesn't come cheap. The initial start up fees are reasonable in my opinion, but the ongoing fees (per head, per seated customer) add up quickly. This can be tough when your repeat/regulars are using the platform, where you know you are essentially overpaying for their business, but regardless this truly is a necessary tool for any restaurant that wants to compete for business, and customers expect that you have it. There are also not too many other competitors with the same level of integration into POS systems, at least not ones that are able to drive this much volume to the restaurant.

Kalin
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 6/11/2019

Reservations Made Easy

Overall I have loved my experience with OpenTable for Restaurants. As someone who does not like to spend time on the phone, this app streamlined the process of making reservations. It literally takes me seconds to reserve a spot at a table anywhere I want, as long as it is supported by the app.

Pros

This software makes reserving a seat at a restaurant very simple. The app gives you the ability to select a time slot and the number of seats you want to reserve and then does the rest of the work for you. This saves the user the pain of calling a restaurant, being put on hold, and spending unnecessary time on the phone. I'm sure it is also convenient on the restaurant side as well.

Cons

I would like to see additional restaurant locations added to the software here. I don't know if that would require some kind of agreement between the developers and the restaurants involved, but I would like to see some features that would enable reservations at any restaurant the user wanted to visit.

Christine
  • Industry: Publishing

Reviewed on 5/3/2019

Great for planning client lunches

I use OpenTable for professional purposes (i.e. booking business lunches, client meetings, etc.), and for business travel. My work often sends me to unfamiliar cities (Cincinnatti, Boise, etc.) and it's great to have an app in-hand to look up options and make reservations based on group size.

Pros

I love how intuitive and user-friendly OpenTable is. It's also easy to narrow down restaurant options by availability, neighborhood, and cuisine. The new rewards program is a phenomenal incentive, and it's great that the app can provide options while you're traveling.

Cons

Occasionally the restaurants will call to confirm or ask a question about a reservation, which can be annoying because the app should take care of that. It's not a huge hassle, but seems redundant and should theoretically be handled in the app alone. It would also be great if more restaurants that take reservations were on the app, but that's not a reflection of its function at all.

Kyle
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 9/10/2018

OpenTable Review

Your restaurant needs OpenTable to help keep your restaurant running smoothly and continue to have happy and satisfied customers. No fuss and no hassle reservations.

Pros

Are you tired of having people call into your restaurant to reserve a table? Are you tired of people coming up to the host stand to inquire about where in line they are for being seated? Look no further than OpenTable. Every restaurant should be using this app for scheduling customers.

Cons

At first, the app is a little hard to navigate. But once you get a handle on it it's very easy to use.

Alex
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 19/10/2020

Great for restaurant reviews and reservations!

Used many times before and never had an issue.

Pros

It makes making restaurant reservations very easy. You accumulate points with each reservation that you can use for discounts on future reservations. Restaurants also have reviews which help when selecting where to eat.

Cons

Limited on the restaurants that have ability to make reservations. Not all restaurants are on the app/website and not all have reviews.