Act! Reviews

About Act!

Act! Premium, a powerful CRM and Marketing Automation tool in one platform, is perfect for small and midsize businesses looking to market better, sell more, and create customers for life. With unparalleled flexibility and freedom...

3.4

Browse Act! Reviews

Ulrich
Ulrich
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Reviewed on 23/11/2023

Magical Act !

My experience with Act has been wonderful. This software is a real gift, a real treat. It's so fantastic how it allows me to automate my business. Very easy to use, I can easily retrieve information on customers; I also have a history of my mails, calls and letters.

Pros

I like this software. Being able to improve my communication, increase my sales and ensure the loyalty of my customers is so magical! And the ease of remote tasks is just incredible. And to think it's so easy to use!

Cons

Nothing to complain about! This software works like a charm and is easy to use.

Response from Act!

Thank you, Ulrich! We love hearing from our customers and enjoy learning that Act! has improved your customer communications and customer loyalty! We'd love to learn more about your business. If you'd like to share your Act! Success Story. It's easy - just paste this link into your browser to get started. Thanks again for sharing and we wish continued success to you! https://www.act.com/success-stories/

Replied 24/11/2023
Bo
Bo
  • Industry: Banking
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Reviewed on 16/11/2023

Easy tool

Only had the change to use free trial, integrated with Sage 360 as it is owned by Sage. Created a few marketing automation and went live as well, got great results, it had potential. Used its app also to track progress and results.

Pros

Mostly used Act's features of contact management and marketing automation in CRM, it has a feature that brings together all of the customer data into a centralized database. Using automation tool is so easy and helps you track every steps.

Cons

Not so many features but the essential features are enough to get what is really needed. The support for the product has ended.

Response from Act!

Thank you, Bo for your review. We value your feedback! It sounds like you might be using an older version of Act! and hope you'll check out this webpage for information about our exciting new features and enhancements. https://www.act.com/upgrade-center/

Replied 20/11/2023
Joseph

Reviewed on 6/5/2024

An awe-inspiring and powerful Marketing Automation and CRM Platform.

It is a reliable and convenient platform for lead nurturing.Act! also increases customer engagement.

Pros

It is possible to identify and generate more leads and customers with Act!.Again, Act! streamlines and automates marketing operations.It is possible to build and manage strong customer relationships with Act!.

Cons

Until now I haven't encountered any shortcomings with Act!.

Response from Act!

Thank you, Joseph, for sharing that Act! is helping you generate more leads and build stronger customer relationships. Your review makes our day!

Replied 10/5/2024

Top Act! Alternatives

HubSpot Marketing Hub

HubSpot Sales Hub

Nicole

Reviewed on 8/3/2018

ACT has many features, but most of them are cumbersome and lacking full functionality.

Pros

Our office has been using this product since before I started. It is a solid database program and if that is all you want to do is have a large database of contacts, then this performs well.

Cons

I dislike how this is still only available for windows computers which makes communicating information in an office with both Mac and PC impossible. Also, the outlook plug in that allows emails to be synced with a contact in ACT will only link emails to the PRIMARY contact. So that means you have to manually sync that. If you are emailing over 100 emails a day, you end up either spending most of your time manually syncing contacts or just foregoing this feature. Also, you can only add 4 contacts to a company. Often times, we need to have upwards of 6-10 contacts for a company so the inability to add more is a huge issue. And since ACT isn't online, any changes made on any employee computers while not connected to the server means no one else has access to that info until they make it back to the office to sync. Which means our data is never fully up to date. There are so many problems with this software that we often don't try to take advantage of any of the other functions.

Response from Act!

Hi Nicole,

Thanks for your feedback!

You're correct that our main desktop product is only available for PC. Did you know we do offer a fully web-based solution, Act! Premium Cloud? This works great on PC and Mac, as well as keeping your data online on our hosted cloud servers.

It sounds like your business could make good use of the features available via Act! Cloud - might be worth checking it out at act.com - we do offer a free trial too.

We'll definitely be taking your feedback on board for future releases - especially what you've said around email syncing. We've got some major improvements planned in this area in the next release (20.1).

Lastly, there should be no limit to how many contacts can be assigned to a company - if you're having issues adding more than 4, I'd definitely recommend contacting customer support, who'll be happy to help.

If there's anything more we can do to help, please let us know!

Thanks again,

Jon,
Act! Social Media Team

Replied 12/3/2018
Wayne
  • Industry: Building Materials

Reviewed on 23/2/2024

ACT! Not only becoming more powerful, but even easier to use.

An excellent app, but with a steep learning curve. But surprisingly improved in the past year. Training would benefit from trainers listening to users.

Pros

ACT! is working hard to make itself my highly valued CRM/Partner. Frequent functionality upgrades and increased reliability. Excellent technical assistance.
Expanded training videos and knowledge database. Act CRM is well integrated with Marketing Automation. It is not an add-on, but is central to and easy to use.

Cons

I have used ACT! for a long time. For much of the time, I was intimidated by its complications. Weak training did not help. A steep learning curve also required that I learn by trial and error. Much time was wasted learning to use ACT!'s power. ACT! 's muscle was hidden by requiring that I learn on my own instead of having good training.
ACT! would benefit from seeking out suggestions from users as to improvements in training. Some of these stunning features took forever to learn on my own.

Response from Act!

Hi Wayne, We are thrilled to hear that you are leveraging and benefiting from Act!'s feature-rich functionality and finding it easier to use. We have devoted lots of resources to a robust digital training center, and onboarding support and have a sharp focus on continually prioritizing ease of use for our customers. Your feedback means a lot to us - thank you for taking the time to share it!

Replied 4/3/2024
Clay
  • Industry: Computer Networking

Reviewed on 20/8/2019

Do not purchase

None at the moment

Pros

Decent contact management. Can customize.

Cons

Act/Outlook synchronization keeps breaking.

Dynamics 365

Reasons for Switching to Act!

We were using a previous version of Act. We move to the Premium Cloud hoping it was more stable. It is not.
Sean
  • Industry: Government Relations

Reviewed on 10/4/2024

Customer Support 5*

Pros

As a company who deals with a LOT of different third party vendors, I can genuinely say the customer support at ACT was absolutely top notch and couldnt fault them. Went out of their way to solve the problem we had after a powercut and even though it turned out to be a complicated job they were professional at all times, knowledgeable and efficient.

Cons

I do not have anything bad to say about ACT!

Response from Act!

We are thrilled to hear that our Support Team was there for you when you needed them, Sean. We love our customers and know when they're successful, we're successful! Thank you so much for your review!

Replied 15/4/2024
Christine
  • Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 29/4/2024

Use it Daily!

I have looked at other products but am used to the ease of ACT so choose not to change.

Pros

I use ACT for my customer database and storing info about my clients. I use it daily for writing letters or referring to information I keep in the notes. I also use it for printing labels for my newsletters

Cons

It has trouble opening on occasion which makes using it frustrating

Response from Act!

It's great to hear, Christine, that Act! is helping you manage your clients' information and coordinate outreach. We really appreciate you letting us know!

Replied 31/5/2024
Lee
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Reviewed on 25/4/2024

[sensitive content hidden]Senior Act! Account Executive

Good, but need to review the training which I've just become aware of after 18 months of using it.

Pros

the customer support services from [sensitive content hidden] Senior Act! Account Executive has been outstanding!

Cons

Its not the best service on the market but is sufficient for what we need.

Response from Act!

Hi Lee, thanks for letting us know that our Sr Account Executive and support have been helpful to you. We invest a lot in our Support and Training resources because we know they are essential to our customers’ success. It sounds like you’re ready to learn more about how Act! can help you manage and grow your business and we hope you find the videos, knowledgebase articles, and webinars helpful.

Replied 17/5/2024
Meredith
Meredith
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Reviewed on 18/1/2021

Try Another CRM

We utilize Act to track our communications with customers/leads and track sales metrics based on activities done within Act.

Pros

There isn't much I like about using Act. It is clunky and there are a lot better CRM tools out there that are much more sophisticated and are better for integrating multiple programs. It is a relatively easy tool to use although it does not do a lot of what we would like it to be able to use.

Cons

Act seems to be patched together from add-ons over the year and has not had a comprehensive UX refresh. It also is not simple to integrate with our other software like a lot of other software tools are

Sally

Reviewed on 18/11/2022

Basic CRM that does the job

Pros

ACT is easy to use and does what a CRM is supposed to do: manage contacts and contact information. It is easy to create contacts, companies, links and search for them. It can be used offline which makes it extremely convenient when there is no internet access (eg: business trips). The DB will synchronize when you are back online. Another thing is that it is an off the shelf product: it does not require any development to configure.

Cons

The software lacks customizable reports and dashboard. It is extremely complicated to setup a good dashboard with the reports that you need. There is not much options or flexibility, and the display does not always end up being right (missing items). So it is not the best for sales/opportunities management.

Response from Act!

We love hearing from our customers Sally, and appreciate you taking the time to let us know how Act! is helping your business. We understand that you found some limitations around reporting and wanted to be sure you had access to these digital resources to help with your customization needs.

If there are additional features you'd like to see in Act!, we'd love to know and invite you to please submit a feature request by visiting this URL.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Replied 28/11/2022
Van McLean
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Reviewed on 22/4/2021

ACT! for NGOs

I generally find ACT! basic but easy to use. You find there what you need - particularly the database management.

Pros

I have pioneered the purchase of ACT! in my company. Back then, It offers a perpetual license per user which is great as you don't subject yourself to a monthly or annual subscription. I love the fact that ACT! marketing can be customised and very rare that it falls under the promotions tab of the email recipient.

Cons

ACT! can only be linked to a certain version of Outlook which i find not helpful. Not all the licenses we purchased were maximise as they find ACT! a work duplicate particularly on the finance side since only selected accounting software can be integrated in the ACT! system.

Fritz
  • Industry: Human Resources

Reviewed on 2/2/2023

Small Business Owner & ACT! User since V2

I'm a small business owner, mostly focused on selling services and ACT! has enabled me to manage all aspects of selling, marketing, client communications and far more. Great customer support over the past almost 30 years as an ACT! user.

Pros

Ability to customize the product for my preferred activities - follow-ups, invoicing, managing client relations, sales pipeline tracking and more.

Cons

Nothing to complain about as they've gotten the product to work efficiently with the past 6 or 7 versions. Upgrading used to be inconvenient but they've made the upgrade process seemless

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Act!

I got it the software at a great price back in 1994...maybe $25 for the disc.

Response from Act!

Hey thanks Fritz, it sounds like Act! is helping you out. You're helping us out by spreading the word - so thanks for taking the time to share!

Replied 3/2/2023
  • Industry: Nanotechnology

Reviewed on 18/1/2023

Good first CRM

Positive experience and we are using the custom fields. I wish you could make some fields limited based on other field inputs. ACT! is great if you are just getting into CRM and want to get your business up and running quickly, this is one of the reasons it is such a popular choice. They have been doing CRM for a very long time.

Pros

Easy to setup and have customized fields. They have an option to run on your own server to avoid monthly fees of other CRM options.

Cons

Once you have over 10,000 contacts. It is harder and slower to organize CRM. Works much better for smaller contact lists.

Salesforce Sales Cloud

Reasons for Switching to Act!

Cost of alternatives were much higher for similar features.

Response from Act!

Hey thanks Andrew, it sounds like Act! is helping you out. You're helping us out by spreading the word - so thanks for taking the time to share!

Replied 20/1/2023
  • Industry: Music
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 30/7/2019

Customer relationship management in a neat little package!

Act has become a valuable database of information for our teams, storing all manner of customer and company information that we can utilise for various means. It is a valuable asset for us and will no doubt continue to be in the future.

Pros

There are multiple benefits to using Act as reported by our users. The Act database allows for a large quantity of information to be stored, meaning we were able to decommission several other systems holding various bits of customer data by merging it into Act.

We have found pricing to be competitive on a per-licence basis which suits us as a small team working within a non-profit organisation. Act makes it easy for users to update already stored customer/company information, so we always have up-to-date data for contacting, addresses, etc.
Communications to customers/companies are tracked in Act so other members of the department can see who has communicated with who, and what the correspondence was – this is useful if a member of staff is off and another needs to pick up some workload.

On the technical side, updates and hotfixes are provided regularly and it is relatively easy to install these during periods of downtime. The UI is easy to navigate, with clearly labelled menus and an in-built help area.

Cons

We have found it somewhat difficult to integrate Act with our current systems and have resorted to manually exporting CSVs with information to import into our systems. This is a legacy process and may have been improved upon however, we haven’t looked into this.

We have also had to purchase add-ins to enable certain features such as opportunities tracking, but Act plays well with these add-ons, so this is not too much of an issue for us.

From an admin’s perspective, it has proven difficult to set up an automatic installation that works with our MDT deployments, but we roll out images with Act on rarely, so this isn’t too much of an issue.

Perhaps in future, updates could be made to the UI to make it look a little less dated and bring it up to clean, modern, standards.

Reviewed on 31/10/2019

Long Time User

Because we have at least 3 people involved in one transaction, the relationship tab helps us tie them together to the transaction. We can toggle back and forth easily without having to search another name. It's quick and efficient. With our customized fields, we can easily see years of history for a client on one page.

We have been frustrated over the years by the number of crashes and freezes.Occasionally an import will not import correctly and the data in put into the wrong fields. The support help and support page of the marketing automation is very poor and lacking in depth training on creating/sending eblasts. There are is no advanced level training for the eblasts and drip marketing.

Pros

This is a robust software program. We have added many custom fields that allows us to track a lot of data really dig into for trends and statistics. We love how history is captured a for all the activity we do for and with a client. We rely on the relationship tab heavily as multiple people are involved in a transaction. We are really enjoying the new Marketing Automation. It has a lot of robust features that we are just beginning to tap into. We also like the groups feature. We have hundreds of groups that we can run reports and create statistics from. We can see how many groups a contact is part of which helpful as well. I like the statistics ACT generates from drip marketing. Knowing what emails bounced back or who opted out helps us improve our data.

Cons

When searching for a person, it doesn't give you the option of having similar names - the spelling must be exact. It crashes when we are in the social updates tab. Customer Service: Often the techs are hard to understand. The time we spend on the phone with customer service on average lasts about 1/2 to an hour depending on the issue. That is a big interruption to our workflow in the office.

One thing I wish ACT would do is send to 2 emails at once. When sending out an eblast, it pulls from the email field. If there is more than one email address followed by a semicolon, it won't send to both. It bounces back.

Michelle
  • Industry: Legal Services

Reviewed on 19/2/2021

Act! through the years

I love Act!, the functionality, the ability to customize, detailed reports. I run my single jobs, AR, AP, reporting, generate documents, calendar, follow up, email all through Act! and have micro control of every document and report. I have several users and the addons are endless.

Pros

I began using Act! 20+ years ago the draw for me was the ability to customize the product for my companies needs. I have run my company's database with this software from start up and I have made it work through the years. In the earlier days I was able to automate functionality to stay ahead of trends and have robust productivity far a head of my competitors. As the years have gone on and the product was sold and resold they have updated and brought general users more but have left lifelong users in the dust for profit.

Cons

Subscription services that cripple my ability to utilize the fully purchased/owned product. I feel that the company sold out for recurring subscriptions. I don't care that they want to go to subscription but I do care that I have my feet held to the fire because of it. Users like myself enabled their progress and continued success.

Ken
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Reviewed on 8/3/2023

My Most Important Sales Tool

I utilize ACT's calendar to organize my day and I keep notes in the NOTES section for all communications with the contact. I also use Marketing Automation but just started using it last year.

Pros

The CRM is easy to use and one can learn how to use it very quickly. Act keeps up with the changing times and provides the tools that a sales person needs to optimize his/her performance. Introduction of Marketing Automation was an added bonus that provides a sales person with more power to find leads

Cons

The pricing has risen over the years to the point that I feel it is now on the high end of the spectrum. I probably utilize only 20 - 25% of all the ACT features; but I'm paying for a software program that can accomplish more than what I need. I started with the original ACT when it first came out (forgot how many years ago) and it had a very attractive price at that time.

Response from Act!

Thank you, Ken, for your feedback. We are happy to hear that Act! is helping your business and that the Calendar and Notes features are especially useful to you. We are excited that you have begun using Act! Marketing Automation and wanted to share these resources to help you leverage its powerful capabilities to create landing pages, capture leads, and nurture prospects and customers. Please check them out at https://www.act.com/resources/act-marketing-automation/.

Replied 9/3/2023
Vincent
  • Industry: Food Production

Reviewed on 20/9/2023

Amazing Software that has help me accelerate my business

Overall, I have been able to track and provide my sales and marketing success to my owners. It's important to measure your success and Act! has made it simple and easy to use.

Pros

I enjoy having task and opportunity options. It makes me organized and I can manage my time. I love marketing automation as it's difficult to reach out to hundreds of contacts at a time.

Cons

I would like to change the colors of the program. The blue and white are a little too overwhelming for my eyes. I would like "Dark Mode" if that would be possible.

Response from Act!

Thank you, Vincent, for taking the time to leave this review. We'd love to learn more about your business and highlight it on our Success Story webpage and social channels! If you'd like to share your Act! Success Story, it's easy - just paste this link into your browser to get started. We hope to hear from you! Thanks again for sharing and we wish continued success to you! https://www.act.com/success-stories/

Replied 22/9/2023
Carlos

Reviewed on 10/12/2021

Super Disappointed

Pros

I liked this software to run my credit repair business. Keep track of letter management and clients. It was easy at first.

Cons

After you purchase your license, in a year or 2 they discontinue the version and you have to pay for the license all over again. I had purchase 3 licenses and wanted to purchase a 4th one and they said I couldn't that I would have to upgrade to the monthly fee version where you pay monthly per license including for the licenses I already had. Now this year they discontinued the licenses I already purchased, they want me to upgrade and pay 550 per license all over again because they have a new version and will not give support nor fixes to the older versions. This is insane. I pay them for a license so they discontinue the product and expect me to purchase all licenses again. ON top of that, it is glitchy, it continue disconnects from Outlook. You call customer support and someone in India answers and they are clue less. Every time Outlook does an update or act updates it completely looses all integration. OH, and they give you 0 customer service, you have to pay for that separately.

Reviewed on 27/11/2017

This is the worst CRM ever! I wouldn't recommend this to my worst enemy.

It is easy to use when it is working correctly.

Pros

It is easy to use when it actually works. I receive emails advising my current version is expiring quite often so it keeps me informed regularly.

Cons

The syncing feature doesn't not always work between the different platforms that we have in our office. In an office of Sales Reps, we need a CRM that will sync in real time but sometimes this CRM won't sync for an hour which makes it difficult for us to schedule appointments for our Sales Reps.

Response from Act!

Hi there Angela,

Sorry to hear that you've had a poor experience with Act! I understand where you're coming from, and you're right that while using our remote database synchronisation feature can allow for very flexible office/out-of-office set ups, it does remove the 'real-time' sync capabilities.

Did you know that our Act! Premium Cloud service allows you to access you data (hosted by us) in real-time over the internet from anywhere in the world?

We really appreciate your feedback, and we're committed to make improvements across the board with every release! I really hope we can restore your opinion of our software with some of the improvements we've got planned in the future!

- Jon,
Act! Social Media Specialist

Replied 28/11/2017
Scott

Reviewed on 9/8/2019

Solid and Reliable CRM Product

I've used ACT! in one form or another for over 15 years now, between several different companies, starting from when they were owned by Sage. ACT! has always been a solid, well-designed and well-performing product that puts managing customer's contact information, records and sales first and foremost. While some platforms have broadened their reach, ACT! has always stayed true to what they do well, which is manage clients and sales opportunities, which is what really makes sales.

Pros

ACT has been around for a long time, as has Swiftpage who aquired them. The software itself has continued to evolve and improve, but hasn't lost the overall feel it has always had. What I like the most is that they have cloud AND desktop platforms for those that might not need cloud services. They also have a large number of plans available, are affordable, and there are a good number of independent technicians out there that can help you with your data, and design third party add-ons too.

Cons

The recent change that does not let owners of much older versions of the software activate what they already own has me concerned.

George
  • Industry: Law Practice

Reviewed on 15/3/2019

Software continues to break

Every time I call Act! Support I feel like the techs are just trying to get off the phone after they realize they are in over their heads. Each time I call they try to blame it on Microsoft Office and we have to do a repair, next they default to uninstalling Act! and reinstalling it. It is not really tech support if we keep putting a bandaid on the issue rather than addressing the root cause of the issue. This software is on a Terminal server meaning that each time this breaks for 1 user it impacts every user at this company, because each user has to logout and stop working. These issues not being addressed may cause this customer to stop doing business with our company and your company is certainty going to loose them as a customer as well.

Pros

It is in bad taste that you will not allow this box to be left blank and are trying to force users to say something nice about your software. Every time I come in contact with your software it is because it is broken.(N/A)

Cons

The Act! / Microsoft Office integration needs some work. It keeps breaking and we have to troubleshoot this issue with our customer on a weekly bases.

Denise
  • Industry: Legal Services

Reviewed on 29/1/2019

Product Great but Tech Support Stinks

I've been using Act! since the early 1990s, in three different industries. For the first industry, it increased my close ratio of willing qualified buyers from around 80% to over 95%. In the second and third industries that metric was not easily measurable because of long relationship lead times, but it dramatically assisted efficiency.

Pros

Ease of use, flexibility of design, reports, ability to track relationships across multiple contacts, and mass mailing abilities

Cons

Seems a little unstable at times for some features, and tech support is a game of Russian Roulette with perhaps one person in 10 who can troubleshoot a problem and fix it. The rest seem to be untrained, seem to have no analytical skills or trouble shooting abilities, seem to be reading off knowledge base scripts, and often make or recommend changes that end up making matters even worse. The product is WONDERFUL when it works properly, which is most of the time. But lookout for 2-7 days of downtime if you hit that problem that is too much for the low level tech support people.

Lloyd

Reviewed on 5/2/2019

Best Program

In my business, history is necessary. I have data going back over 25 years that is at my fingertips. That and along with the ability to design and set a drip system to my client base is a great feature. I am very happy with my ACT! program for my business use.

Pros

I have been a user of the ACT! program since I became a Realtor in 1990. It is one of the most versatile programs around. I am only using parts of the program necessary to run my business. It allows a comprehensive amount of information on each individual on record or family history. All activity is recorded in the history file for future reference. All Emails, letters and correspondence is attached to the individual for future reference. The groups that can be set-up

Cons

There is nothing that I dislike about this program. It has all of the features that are needed to run a business. There are also features included that are helpful in record keeping and developing schedules for a smoother day to day operation.