Square Payroll Reviews

4.7

4.7

About Square Payroll

Square Payroll is a full-service payroll solution that helps small businesses pay employees through online payroll management and handle payroll tax. It can be integrated with a variety of payment processing tools, accounting...

Browse Square Payroll Reviews

Chandra
Chandra
  • Industry: Cosmetics

Reviewed on 28/8/2021

Payroll Basics Covered

Other than the additional Square account, I am/was super happy with the software. Perfect for startups and small businesses. I highly recommend!

Pros

I loved that this was plug and play ready, user friendly and made payroll less of a headache. Tracking hours, schedules and pay was extremely easy and they handled all the government paperwork after set up. Reminders were super helpful and I never missed payroll deadlines.

Cons

I didn't like that I couldn't activate previously canceled plans. Since the pandemic caused me to temporarily shutdown I had to cancel the service to save the monthly fee. I was super disappointed that I had to create a NEW Square account just to get access to the plan again. In doing so, I had two locations, two Square accounts and double the headache of managing. Honestly this was one the biggest reasons I decided to switch to Zenoti to streamline everything into one account and make management easier.

Barbara

Reviewed on 9/10/2022

Our 100% Go-To payroll software!

We have tried other payroll programs and always come back to Square!

Pros

So quick and easy to use. Set up is quick and easy! Reports are perfect! Payrolls are always timely and accurate. Agency reporting at state, local and federal level have always been accurate and timely

Cons

WE NEED AN ACCOUNTANT LOGIN FEATURE!!!!!!! Need a way to customize the weekly summary to load into the client bookkeeping! One sheet that explains the Federal and local withholdings for bookkeeping purposes. For example (a breakdown of EMPLOYER FICA and Employee Fica, Federal unemployment, State unemployment and state withholding need to be printed on the summary sheet)

LORI

Reviewed on 17/1/2019

If you cancel their service...BEWARE!

I will be looking for a completely new POS system as well as processor as this situation has left my small business in a bind halfway through January 2019.

Pros

The software itself is fairly easy to utilize; however, if you happen to cancel your subscription beware as you will be on your own. I had reorganized and changed entities therefore, cancelled my Square subscription. When changing entities I acquired a new EIN for the LLC. Square has refused to provide W2's for my employees for the 2017 tax year for the Sole Prop EIN in which I used for the business while with Square. After several emails back and forth I just received confirmation that Square will not be completing W2's for my business as I cancelled my service.

Cons

Customer service is extremely difficult with square as a whole. If you have any type of problem you will pretty much be on your own to research the internet or review conversation on the forum.

Top Square Payroll Alternatives

TriNet Zenefits

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

QuickBooks Online Advanced

Jammi
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Reviewed on 24/11/2023

square payroll review

overall i think square is a great app for payroll

Pros

square payroll has one of the best apps with easy to use system

Cons

it is a little pricey for a app compared to other payroll apps

Shawn
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 2/12/2022

Square Payroll is Great

It's accurate, easy and makes Payroll fast.

Pros

Square Payroll is fast and easy to use and it works.

Cons

It takes 4 days after processing payroll to get employees paid. However, you can apply to have that shortened to 2 days.

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

I've just found every Square product I've used to be very usable and accurate. So I chose it for Payroll too. It is great.
Alma
  • Industry: Music

Reviewed on 15/6/2021

Square Payroll Services

Pros

I love Square Payroll Services. They take care of all the paperwork allowing me to manage my business.

Cons

I love this software and I plan to keep using it for many years.

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

Because I already had a Square account to invoice my clients. It seemed easier to keep only one account. They are great!
Neil

Reviewed on 1/11/2021

Super Easy Payroll and Worker’s Comp solution

Pros

Extremely easy to run bi-weekly payroll. All reporting is handled for you.

Cons

It’s a little on the expensive side, hold times for support can be a little long but my questions have always been answered quickly enough.

Kayla

Reviewed on 20/7/2022

Saves my life

My business went from being such a hassle to making it enjoyable.

Pros

It makes my life and business functional.

Cons

Nothing i love this software and everything about it

PayPal

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

Its product overall quality is so much better
Nicole

Great Square Payroll Experience

I have had no issues with square payroll. All steps are timely with accurate calculations and filing of forms.

Pros

I appreciate square payroll reminders, ease of use, importing of time cards, calculations, etc. The set up makes it easy to use and follow.

Cons

I have experienced no issues at this time.

Wave Accounting

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

I choose square because I already use the Square POS system and I wanted everything integrated in one place.
Cham

Reviewed on 7/5/2019

Excellent once you get the hang of it

Pros

Square Payroll was easy to set up, and adding new employees is a very simple and fast process. Our employees have an online portal where they can edit their direct deposit details/address/withholdings/etc.
As the administrator I'm able to import their hours from third party programs as well (currently using T-Sheets)
The deadlines to submit payroll are clearly displayed, as well as the window of time when you can cancel or edit a submitted payroll.

Cons

For our company there are multiple pay rates depending on the work (regular hourly pay, drive time, etc.) When importing from T-Sheets I have to manually go through every time entry and specify what pay rate will be applied to each shift for every employee.
It's not possible either to change how direct deposits are labeled on the employee's bank statement. Instead of having my company name listed it just shows "SQUARE PAYROLL"

QuickBooks Payroll and ADP TotalSource

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

The pricing and set up process for Square Payroll was better than the competetors, and the features available fit comfortably with my company's needs.
Francel

Reviewed on 15/6/2021

Square Payroll

I am able to make Square Payroll our one stop shop. It files and pays our quarterly taxes, W-2's, Worker's Comp Insurance, Employee Benefits, and Wage Garnishments.

Pros

Square Payroll is super user friendly. It has a ton of features we use such as time tracking, direct deposit, and benefits.

Cons

I would prefer if we could change the cut off day time to a day later in the week but still allow for Friday direct deposits. Currently the cutoff is set to 11pm on Monday for a Friday direct deposit. Mondays are always super busy for us and there are many times I am unable to get payroll in on time, resulting in me having to write checks.

Paychex Flex

Reasons for Switching to Square Payroll

The ease of use plus it is cheaper.
Richard

Square Payroll

I run my payroll on a bi-weekly basis. The use of this software means that I do not have to worry about filing the various and sundry state and local tax statements quarterly and annually. This is done automatically. I also do not have to figure out the various taxes to be withheld. The software does it. Although I have a small business, I can run payroll in less that five minutes. It doesn't matter if I am in my high season, or my low season, it takes the same amount of time because of the integration.

Pros

I own a small gelato shop. I use Square as my POS, my time card system and for my payroll. The integration of the products is seamless. The time card system allows the employee to clock in and out and that time flows right into the payroll. The time card system also allows me to add a lunch break or correct a timecard if someone forgot to clock in or out. The flow from timecards to payroll is a click of the button.

The payroll system also allows for individual benefits, both pre- and post-tax and both hourly or salaried employees.

The taxes are paid by Square and are calculated and paid on-time, removing a big headache for me. The tax reports are easily accessible and can be downloaded for those time when they are needed, like for PPP or other loans.

Cons

The only time that I have had to call support was to find out how to put in a post-tax benefit. That was not intuitive in the software, but very easily done once you knew which button to click.

• Industry: Law Practice

Reviewed on 23/5/2021

Love it

Pros

I love the ease of use and the affordability.

Cons

Better access to customer service. They seem focused on their retail cash register service than payroll.

Reasons for Choosing Square Payroll

Price

SurePayroll

Price and features
Donette

Reviewed on 10/12/2017

Square itself has been easy to use and mostly reliable.

Pros

The software is simple and pretty easy to use. Customer service is pretty strong and helpful with the exception of the payroll department.

Cons

The fact that an apple update, in which we couldn't control if the iPad updated EVEN when we had it set to "do not automatically update," completely messed up our system for a couple weeks was very inconvenient and was a total hinderance on our business. We had to wait for that second apple update to fix the issue but in the mean time we could't print receipts, use the reader, or open the drawer. It seems that Square should have made some kind of correction or glitch fix in the mean time to help their users continue using with ease.

Also the system has gone down completely in the past, and even though you all apologize... it still puts our business at risk when we can't complete transactions, harming our customers and our reputation. We should have been compensated for all of the trouble that we faced.

For payroll, it is extremely frustrating to not be able to talk to a live person when we have questions or issues. The customer service in the payroll department is not good.

Jean
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Reviewed on 12/2/2020

Pretty good, but not quite perfect for me

I love that my employees timecards are much more accurate than my previous method of writing it on paper and figuring it out. It has helped me deal with the red tape my state imposes on me, so that's a real plus. I ultimately chose to remain with my current provider because of the lack of blank check printing capabilities. I would like a way for my employees to track their sick time taken on their apps.

Pros

I use Square for retail and appointments, so I wanted to try the payroll function. The set up was easy to do, and my employees downloaded the timecards app and didn't seem to have any problems setting it up on their end.

Cons

It says that there is a check printing function, so the first time I went to run payroll, I discovered that I needed pre-printed checks. My current provider's software prints out complete checks on check blanks that I buy online. So, I'm using the timecards function, but not the actual payroll portion. On the timecards, I still have to calculate sick pay manually. I would like my employees to be able to sign in to sick time on their own.

Gregory
  • Industry: Publishing

Reviewed on 15/7/2021

Leave Payroll Processing to the Experts at Square and Focus on Front Line Business Management

I was an original beta client of Square when I opened my office in San Francisco many years ago. Now I live and work in Colorado and find the cross sector platforms of running a business so seamless and intuitive. Also in the age of remote working, now I do not fear hiring either 1099'ers or employees as Square Payroll serves as the HR master in compliance.

Pros

For decades I have used a variety of platforms to process payroll. Since I already use Square on the frontline as a merchant services platform, it makes sense to use the payroll application to keep transactions simple and easy.

Cons

The only con that I have experienced was with a third party vendor that offered insurance services as part of the add-ons. It was a short lived and minor crisis and we have found a solution.

Keenan

Reviewed on 20/5/2021

I LOVE Square payroll! No more worrying about compliance issues!

My overall experience has been awesome! Great support, fair price, easy to use and it's integrated into all of my other systems. During the pandemic, Square made it extremely easy to file for PPP loans because they had all of my financial info already.

Pros

I love that Square Payroll tracks all of my employee time, can be used from any device and best of all, they file all required regulatory paperwork for me so I don't have to. Huge fan, I use it for 2 companies I own currently.

Cons

I can't think of anything I haven't liked so far...

Mary
  • Industry: Translation & Localisation

Reviewed on 4/12/2017

Phenomenal!

The benefits, saves you alot of time, money, and customer support are there when you need them, if you need them, SQUARE dashboard is so friendly user that there is no way you will need customer support.

Pros

I am the owner of a small business and just recently hired a Contractor. I was so excited to find out that Square had this feature for Direct Deposit to pay the Contractor not only that but they also take care of the 1099 form as well. I have been using Square to take payments over the phone, through the Virtual Payment and my sales have increase, I love the features about sending an email to request payments and reminders, the Dashboard is so friendly user that I am able to navigate anywhere with no issues, no questions, no doubts. I love the people behind it for making this process way to easy for people like me that hate complications. Thank you, Square. No one competes with you. I love you!

Tiffany

Reviewed on 28/12/2018

Payroll or bust!

Square Payroll is amazing as they file my quarterly payroll taxes for me. It is very easy to log on to squareup.com and check my analytics for payroll immediately. Very user friendly! Highly recommend.

Pros

Let's face it. As a business owner, we need to have payroll. Forget writing hours on paper (and searching for it later)... Square payroll is easy to read, reports your labor cost right there for you, shows employee break times, etc. I couldn't live without it!

Cons

Quite honestly, I've used it for two and a half years, and I have nothing to complain about!

Cynthia

Reviewed on 21/12/2017

ease to use, all in one, responsive

Pros

Most of my small business POS and payroll tasks can be handled with this one system.
There is a lot of flexibility to match the system to my business specific categories, product lines, items and variations.

Cons

Lack of automating conversion of information from this to quickbooks. Returns/exchanges
Library organization limitations - you put what is a priority to you at the top instead of what is a proirity to me.
Square Gift cards are too expensive to use.

roger
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 7/7/2022

Great for paying employees and keeping track of time and activities.

It's been essential to the operation of my business!

Pros

My technicians can clock in and out. Type stories. And I can easily keep track of money they are owed and taxes and things like that.

Cons

Nothing I could change about the software. It's been around long enough that they have practically perfected its use.

Harold
  • Industry: Legal Services

Reviewed on 15/7/2021

Enjoying All the Benefits of Having a Reliable Payroll System, without the Headache

Pros

Square payroll makes such a complicated and time consuming task or managing payroll a simple task .

Cons

Square Payroll actively build and design their software to be better on a quarterly basis. If something was missing, shortly later, they would have integrated it into their software. I have most of the features I need for my employees, i.e. commissions, PTO, Tips, etc.

Tiana

Reviewed on 6/12/2017

easy to use system that always works the way it's supposed to

Pros

I really like the functionality and user friendliness. It has everything we need and I was really excited to find out that we can now do pre-tax deductions. It's the total package.

Cons

I really wish it integrated better with QuickBooks Online, but I mostly blame QBO for that. It would be nice not to have to enter a manual journal entry every pay run, but it's not so cumbersome that it makes it not worth it.

Roger
  • Used for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 14/11/2017

We've had some issues with duplicate employees which ends up with missed assigned tokens....

We use Square for our POS, Marketing, Loyalty, Gift Cards, Capital so adding Payroll was a no brainer if it had the features and functionally we needed. And so far it has.

Pros

We came over for years of using Quicken Online Payroll. Square is a little more expensive, but handles more with is less work for us. Also the integration with Homebase is a plus. Now that we can actually talk to someone in Square Payroll Support is a BIG plus. We had a ongoing issue for a while and Lauren came to the rescue! We started using in Jan '17 to try for a year, and are going to stay. Square has been good about implementing new features.
Speaking of features, it would be nice to run a payroll for the iPhone dashboard app. We where able to do this with Quicken. Not a deal breaker but definitely a plus.

Cons

The only real issue is adding a New employee. One would think you would start by adding the new employee from within payroll (which I did for some time) When I signed up I didn't remember seeing any instructions on such. After much trial and error, and many support calls I think we have the correct steps down.

Heather

Reviewed on 3/2/2022

Good for larger businesses

Good but they need better price options for smaller businesses

Pros

Easy to use, easy to maintain, never had a problem.

Cons

I found it expensive for a very small business. With only one W2 employee and one 1099 contractor, it didn't make sense for me to pay $50 a month on top of the cost for the Square for appointments/POS