About ZipBooks

ZipBooks is a cloud-based accounting and payment processing solution designed for small businesses and accountants. ZipBooks allows users to create customized invoices with logos, themes and messages. The online bookkeeping...

Browse ZipBooks Reviews

Reviewed on 24/10/2019

The best app a small business owner could use

Highly recommend – beautiful, easy to use, full-featured, and more affordable than any of its nearest competitors.

Pros

ZipBooks is the most affordable, feature rich accounting software I've ever used. It allows me to accomplish everything I need, from sending expenses, to tracking time and expenses, to invoicing. I've used other software and it either didn't include time tracking or it was too expensive for my small business.

Their web app is also incredibly easy to use and is design very well. It's all organized in a way that makes sense and the charts/reports are beautiful.

Cons

The biggest issue I have with ZipBooks is their mobile app. I'm running it on my iPhone and it seems like it's just a web-app published in a shell, storing no local information. It's difficult to track time or send invoices that haven't been saved as a draft. Sent invoices also display in reverse order – with the cache clearing every time I open the app.

If they built a full-featured, native app I think ZipBooks would be perfect.

Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Choosing ZipBooks

Freshbooks charges per client, and I wasn't going to double my monthly payments to them just because my business added one more client.

FreshBooks

Reasons for Switching to ZipBooks

Time tracking
Jack D. Jack D.

Reviewed on 16/3/2018

A great invoicing and accounting solution for small agencies and freelancers

A highly functional and easy-to-use platform for client invoicing and accounting.

Pros

Zipbooks is a phenomenal tool for invoicing and billing clients. As a digital agency, our team does all of our estimating, invoicing, billing, time tracking and accounting through Zipbooks, and it's been a great experience. The platform has seen continuous improvement throughout 2017 and 2018, so I have a lot of confidence that we'll continue to run our business through Zipbooks.

Cons

The slick interface comes to be a burden when reconciling transactions - if you're not an accountant by trade, it can be easy to make a mistake and have difficulty correcting it due to the streamlined presentation. After struggling with this, I've been able to refine my reporting process to work well with Zipbooks.

The project management tool/time tracking was a bit weak but it is getting better and I'm happy to see the service improve.

I would also like to see support for signing contracts/agreements for related invoices.

Mike W. Mike W.

Reviewed on 18/12/2017

Great software with outstanding technical support

Pros

The software itself is fairly straightforward and easy to use, although for someone who doesn't know accounting that well it sometimes can be slightly confusing. What is really great though is that their support team is very knowledgeable and can not only help solve technical issues but can also help explain what their software means to you from an accounting standpoint.

Invoicing is simple and easy to use, integration to bank and credit card accounts continues to improve, and they continue to enhance the set of reports available to help you understand how your business is doing.

Cons

It's fairly minor stuff - the graph on the main page of the application assumes you are using accrual basis accounting, and that ends up misrepresenting the numbers you see if you are using cash basis accounting. I also don't like that I can define that my business uses cash basis but the reports always default to accrual.

It would be nice to understand how the business health score is calculated, as mine continues to decrease despite the fact that I thought my business was continuing to improve.

Top ZipBooks Alternatives

Quickbooks Online

Sage Business Cloud Accounting

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Leigh P. Leigh P.

Reviewed on 27/6/2018

Great Customer Service

For small business, it's perfect.

Pros

The software is user friendly. Easy to re-set up our company. Like the on-line look from the customer's point of view. It's easy to complete.

Cons

I do find it a bit frustrating that I cannot find out WHEN my deposits are estimated to hit my bank. It's either that it doesn't exist in the software, or that it's difficult, even for a daily user, to find it in the menu system.

Derek C. Derek C.

Reviewed on 30/12/2016

Simply Amazing

ZipBooks is the perfect bookkeeping solution for my small business! It allows me to add client details, business expenses and payments received from clients. There is also a great quotation feature built into the app that includes project management and time tracking. Generating an invoice from an existing project or quote only takes a click of a button (how awesome is this?!) and manual invoices can be added too. My favorite feature is the recurring invoices which get sent automatically and even allows me to set payment reminders for those that have not been marked as paid. Believe it or not, these reminders do work! ZipBooks also has great reporting features which shows you your total revenue for the past 12 months, an expense report, income per client, outstanding payments, tax and more. Oh, I forgot to mention, all of this is free! You can also accept payments via the internet but this isn't supported in my country yet. ZipBooks saves me loads hours every month and lots of paper (everything is backed up securely in the cloud), the app and its development/support team definitely add value to my life.

Oh yeah, there's also an iPhone app for when I'm on the move or need to generate a quote for a client immediately :-)

If you're looking for great bookkeeping software, this is it.

Pros

Recurring invoices, payment reminders, great support, iPhone app, quotation system, easy to use report features, integration with Slack.

Cons

Can only accept internet payments with American banks.

Alex V. Alex V.
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 5/3/2019

Clean, powerful bookkeeping software

ZipBooks is perfect for my small business, though they have options for expansion (payroll, etc.)

I have had no major complaints so far and I think the platform is a great option if you're new to bookkeeping or experienced and want an alternative to some of the other major competitors.

Pros

ZipBooks has a very clean interface. All the data is so clear. It's a fast platform and it's easy to navigate. All the backend is there too if you're an experienced bookkeeper looking for flexibility.

Cons

The mobile app has a few bugs that are very obvious. Incorrect account balances and poor sorting of time tracking 'jobs.' Some of these bugs have been ongoing since I signed up, and a few have been fixed. I hope they keep improving the app.

Reviewed on 20/2/2019

Zipbooks for personal/business accounting

I have used many other book keeping softwares during the past 5-6 years for my personal / business use. But Zip books is the easiest tool among all those solutions. Ease of use, Features, Mobile app view are some of the features that i like the most

Pros

Time Tracking and generate invoices for those times for a particulate project is once of the greatest feature that zip books has. Other than that it would be very cost efficient and also very easy for a business to use this solution for there book keeping. Support team is really quick and helpful on the support queries.

This is a all in one solution where you can handle accounts for multiple businesses easily.

Cons

Amount of restrictions that applied during the free tire is higher in count when this is compared with other solutions.

Tom H. Tom H.
  • Industry: Facilities Services
  • Used for Free Trial

Reviewed on 19/11/2019

Trial did not inspire a buy

None. We used it for a few months when shopping around for the right program, decided "this ain't it", and moved on.

Pros

I do like the user interface of Zipbooks. Some parts of it are certainly easier and more intuitive than QuickBooks, which we ended up going with in the end. The whole thing feels pretty streamlined. I also appreciated the customer support team. Even though I was just on a free trial I did get prompt assistance whenever I asked for it.

Cons

Overall, it just feels like an "also ran", watered down version of it's main competition - QuickBooks. I was only on the free version, so that may change when paying to unlock other features.

Furthermore, I hated that when I wanted to export my information to put it into QuickBooks, no such option was available to me. If I understand right there is no way to export data, which is ridiculous. It may be that I'm misremembering and it's just not possible to export without paying, which would also be a problem.

Reasons for Switching to ZipBooks

In the end we chose QuickBooks.
Paul H. Paul H.

Reviewed on 12/2/2018

Best DIY accounting software

Pros

Zipbooks is the best and easiest accounting software available out there. I know this because I free tried them all. They differentiate themselves bye the ease of use and the app that is above and beyond user-friendly. I have access to all the features that I need even though I'm on the free plan so with the upgrade you can get access to the most powerful features available. I recommend the software strongly to everyone. Paul

Cons

I'm waiting for the Android phone app to be released soon. They are expecting to be released in the beginning of the second quarter of 2018

Janet L. Janet L.

Reviewed on 31/5/2018

Responsive Leadership & Support Team

It has saved us so much time and frustration and they are responsive to customer feedback.

Pros

- Simple, Attractive User Interface. Not difficult to learn or teach staff. Easy for customers to interact with.
- Shout out to the support staff who has been stellar at listening and resolving issues.

Cons

Growing company always have hiccups but they are always responsive and willing to listen to customers and fix things ASAP

Corey D. Corey D.
  • Industry: Music

Reviewed on 4/10/2017

Zipbooks is a MUST for anyone who is a freelance graphic designer!

Simply, organization for my business and invoicing needs. Excited to demo the time tracking functionality soon too!

Pros

Excellent user interface design and dashboard. Super easy to navigate with a strong attention to the information architecture. Intuitive invoicing software. Amazing customer service!

Cons

5 day waiting period for payments was frustrating at first. Eventually, I was able to learn how to drop this down to a 2 days. Also, some functionality took me a bit to figure out. But customer service was able to answer my questions within a matter of minutes!

Diego D. Diego D.

Reviewed on 26/10/2017

ZipBooks has helped me get organized and look professional. The support is excellent

Pros

ZipBooks is extremely simple to use. It helps with organization of contacts, invoices, drafts, estimates, Billing and it even creates reports. For no cost you can use ZipBooks to get organized and start invoicing clients, even accepting electronic payments and linking bank accounts. The mobile interface is also simple to use and effective, so creating invoices on the go is not a problem.

John P. John P.

Reviewed on 5/1/2017

The perfect set of tools for my tiny agency

I switched to Zipbooks from another accounting platform and was amazed at how simple and well-thought-out it is. And for free! I was able to get set up in less than an hour, and it lacks nothing I need for estimating and invoicing for projects. It's also nice to have the time-tracking and project-tracking functions for the future. Great job, guys!

Pros

Easy to set up and easy to use. Great mobile app. Free!

Cindy B. Cindy B.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 1/2/2018

ZipBooks is very easy to use.

Pros

You do not have to have any accounting experience to use it. The importing feature from the Banks is fantastic, saving a ton of time of tracking expenses and applying them to the appropriate expense categories (accounts). The Time Tracking is also very easy to use.

Dan A. Dan A.

Reviewed on 20/11/2015

Intuitive, responsive

Software is user-friendly, straight forward. I love the automazation built in, and also the flexibility available for what cant be automated. They recently added an automatic receipt feature that my clients love. Zipbooks is quick to answer customer service requests and has more than exceeded expectations enabling me to grow my business.

Response from ZipBooks

Dan,

Thanks for adopting the product so early and sticking with it through all the feature growing pains.

Glad your customers like the new receipt feature!

ZipBooks Team

Replied 20/11/2015
Chad T. Chad T.

Reviewed on 20/11/2015

Great program

We have been loving the change to this program. It takes so much time to collect on our customers that this program has been a lifesaver. They have a great customer service team as well. Any of the questions I had were quickly answered and set up was a breeze. I don't always recommend products, but this is one I really like.

Response from ZipBooks

Chad,

Thanks for your glowing praise. We will work hard to deserve such high praise.

ZipBooks Team

Replied 20/11/2015
Blake W. Blake W.
  • Used Monthly for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 27/6/2017

Amazing Free Accounting Software

Pros

As a small business owner, Zipbooks helped me organize my finances and keep track of what was going on in my business. I even used Zipbooks to produce all the financials to sell my business.

Cons

When I started, it didn't offer all of the things that Quickbooks had, but it seems like they are adding features regularly. For a free software I really don't have any complaints at all.

Grant Z. Grant Z.

Reviewed on 18/4/2016

Switched over from Freshbooks

Zipbooks is a solid alternative to Freshbooks. I did a through comparison before crossing over and found nothing wanting. The ZipBooks team even helped me get my FB data migrated over and it worked like a charm. FB is a still great, I'm 100% ZipBooks now and don't any any plans to go back.

Asma I. Asma I.

Reviewed on 24/1/2016

Very practical and simple software

Very practical and simple software

Yvonne G. Yvonne G.

Reviewed on 16/10/2018

Too complicated for a small business owner

As a small business owner I do not have the time to figure out accounting programs that are not straight forward and easy to use. It took me quite a while to figure out how to input my current financials and I wasn't able to figure out how to input past sales without first generating an invoice.

Pros

The ability to upload jpg and PDF files related to transactions easily.

Cons

The inability to create sales outside of invoicing.

• Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

Reviewed on 4/9/2019

User-friendly software underpinned by prompt, professional support

Our overall experience has been positive. Thus far, we have not encountered any problems.

Pros

1.The software is easier to use than it even appears.
This makes it simpler for non-finance people who may find themselves required to attend to such matters e.g. Start-ups, local SME's and EME's etc.

2. The support team are atypically, prompt and efficient. In our experience with online support from other service providers, there is more often than not a delay in responding, be it short or long. In some instances, the support staff have not had the expertise to offer guidance or solve elementary problems. The ZipBooks team is impressively swift and knowledgeable.

Cons

Initially, it appeared that functions such as customer month end statements and a few others could not be generated.

After one or two chats with online support and the discovery of the numerous, yet concise, online documents, I realised that such functions are, indeed, included.

Not only that, but also that the majority of questions are very likely covered and one can solve one's own queries if one looks for the relevant document.

Perhaps it would be useful to users if this was highlighted or flagged and doing so may reduce the enquiries that your online support team have to attend to.

Response from ZipBooks

Thanks so much--happy to help!

Replied 6/9/2019
Andrea M. Andrea M.

Reviewed on 5/10/2017

Simple bookkeeping for businesses

I've been using this for about the last year and started when it was free to use. For what it was then and for as simple as it is, it serves my needs at the moment but it's a little difficult to use with my workflow so I feel like I'll probably outgrow it at some point. I do primarily project based work, tracking time and billing hourly. I don't sell anything through an inventory but will add expenses to an invoice. This software works great for that though it would probably work for something with a light inventory or commonly used services as well. Overall, it's a good value and worth testing out but it may not work as well for every business model.

Pros

Add expenses, track time, create projects, create tasks within projects, print out accounting reports, send invoices and receive payments in app, recurring invoicing available, ability to set up reminders automatically

Cons

Visually clean but not as streamlined to use. Projects can't be created on the fly in the time tracking app, but have to be created ahead of time. Still quick to do but it's an extra step. Same for tasks within projects. They must be created ahead of time too, though each project automatically creates a General task. Invoice design is simple and clean but there's not much that can be customized beyond the logo.

Roy L. Roy L.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 8/8/2019

It's FREE!!!

Being looking for this type of cloud system for sometimes, i'm so excited when i found this product and it was free to use. It automate a lot of things and i dont have to worry about loosing date anymore =)

Pros

I'm using the free version, it's good enough for me to track my profit or loss.
The invoice section is very good as well, just enter the blanks and it's all auto.
The best part is the support, because i am getting full support although i am using the free version.

Cons

Should consider to give us more access in the Income Statement report. The Income statement report is more than enough for my operation, sometime just wish i can click on the amount and it will show me the details. But this feature only available in paid version.
I am still waiting for the Android version to be release, then i can easily snap and store my suppliers invoices and receipts.

Response from ZipBooks

Thanks so much Roy!

Replied 9/8/2019
Nawahl R. Nawahl R.

Reviewed on 21/1/2016

Simple, Neat and easy to use! Perfect for a small business

It took me all of 5 minutes to figure everything out. At first I was a bit disappointed that the date format could not be set to South African standard, but when I noticed that the date very clearly appeared, printed in full on the finished documents that can get sent/printed out, I think its completely ok. I love that I could easily use my own logo. I love how everything automatically gets tracked. I love that its free! Its been really useful in my small and growing business, to keep track of all my income and expenses without me having to know much about accounting and without having to hire an accountant, on top of keeping all the receipts, written invoices and other transaction docs. It just simplifies life. I guess a complete accounting system is probably necessary when a business gets bigger, but for a small growing business and a newbie entrepreneur, who just needs a simple income statement, Zipbooks is the perfect tool to get one in the game, staying organized, tracking expenditure and income and having automated outputs that allow one to assess where to improve and streamline the business. The messaging system is pretty nice too. The response to queries from the Zipbooks team is quick and clear and quite personalized, which I'm very impressed by. Zipbooks is perfect.

Reviewed on 20/3/2018

Indispensable tool for managing the books of a small to medium business

At tax time, my job is significantly easier!

Pros

ZipBooks makes tax time easy - in the past I struggled to gather all the information needed to file taxes for our small business - after using ZipBooks for the last year, taxes are a breeze and I no longer dread the day(s) spent preparing my tax returns.

Cons

I wish there was a little more on the free tier - they do a lot to make you buy a subscription, which is an understandable business model, but sometimes I wish things like syncing a bank account more than once a day (especially if you have to change your password on the banking website) were included in the free tier.