TriNet Zenefits Reviews

About TriNet Zenefits

Zenefits is an all-encompassing HR SaaS platform designed specifically for small to midsize businesses. The Zenefits People Platform includes a robust offering spanning HR, Benefits, Payroll, Well-being and Performance apps that...

3.8

Browse TriNet Zenefits Reviews

Tracy
Tracy
  • Industry: Market Research

Reviewed on 19/11/2020

Long time user of Zenefits

Overall it's been super positive. Mistakes are always made, but Zenefits tries to rectify and solve problems instead of throwing their hands up and saying it's too hard.

Pros

What makes Zenefits most valuable to our business is the ease of onboarding new people and providing a 1 stop place for my HR department that is completely in the cloud and no need for reams of paper to be wasted. The PTO calendar and tracking is invaluable as well.

Cons

Zenefits started as a Benefits company with an HR platform, but has pivoted to providing Payroll as it's core business with the other add-ons. There is still some room for improvement on the payroll side and how to handle the customer service side of this.

Robert
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Reviewed on 30/9/2021

Excellent HR Platform for Small to Medium Sized Businesses

When we were considering HR software back in 2015, we set up demos and reviewed many different options, but based upon the needs of our company Zenefits was the best choice. It was a seamless and easy transition once we made the switch. We were able to set up and customize Zenefits so we could accomplish what we need to with the platform. Using the Zenefits platform for our hiring and onboarding has allowed us to streamline our hiring process which was especially helpful during the peak of Covid when having to hire employees while working remotely. The ability to customize in Zenefits was a huge plus for us as a staffing company because of the differing needs of our clients. Zenefits makes it easy if we need to update or change any of the documents that are used for onboarding our new hires. The benefits management available through Zenefits has also been a great tool for a business like ours. It is a very simple process to review available plans and options for the upcoming year and to collect important information from our employees during open enrollment. Our company has changed from where we were in 2015 and using Zenefits has allowed us to easily adapt.

If you are a small or medium sized business that struggles with HR issues like hiring and onboarding, benefits and record management, or compliance, I would recommend looking into how Zenefits can benefit you and your company.

Pros

Seamless and easy transition once we made the switch. Easy set up and great options for customization. Zenefits is a great tool for businesses not having a full HR but needing HR support when dealing with Benefits, Employment Paperwork, and Compliance.

Cons

We have not had any major issues or challenges using this software

Tiersa
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 17/1/2020

Stay Away - save yourself the headache, it's not worth the hype.

I regret doing business with them. Even though I knew I was signing a year contract, and after many attempts at getting our taxes properly filed I felt I had enough valid issues and things we had been promised that they did not follow through on but they refused to let us out of our contract. We ended up switching mid year [which is not ideal] to another vendor and we had to pay the remainder of our contract to Zenefits even though we didn't use them for the last 8 months. Even the tax issues that we were still dealing with months later it was really difficult to find an email address to send to support to get our tax issue fixed - once you tell them you don't want to process your payroll through them they cut you off and you can't call the fake number either. It's been horrible and I am OVERJOYED THAT WE NO LONGER HAVE TO DO BUSINESS WITH THEM. The only reason I left the vendor BEFORE them was because we had outgrown them, we needed more features and functionality than they could provide. We have since moved on to better.

Pros

Very little. We signed a year contract, and switched after 4 months because we had so many legal and tax issues that they caused.

Cons

1. The set up process was a nightmare - it took weeks because the system kept saying a certain part was done and a week later I would get an URGENT email that that part still had to be completed.
2. Several items I was guaranteed at sign up - and I have in writing - for pricing and functionality, were later denied to us. Providing proof of what we were told provided no further help.
3. There is no "real" phone number. You can call tech support, but all they will say is they will have "that department email you within XX number of hours" Many times it was up to a week, and often the issue was not resolved because no matter how we explained it they didn't understand the issue. And all support is handled through email no matter what, even if a phone call would SAVE HOURS OF TIME!
4. The pre- and post-tax items were entered into the system, come to find out they didn't classify them properly so the taxes were not calculated correctly.
5. The FEDERAL and STATE TAXES were filed incorrectly and we had tax notices from both that we owed money past due, then we ended up getting a small refund because one was paid twice. The state taxes for the first quarter of the year were NOT FILED AT ALL, even though they told me they had done so.
6. The tax reports are NOT AVAILABLE in your portal, you have to specifically request them - this to me makes no sense.
7. There is more but this will do for now.

Response from TriNet Group

Sad to hear your experience was less than ideal Tiersa. We will use your feedback to improve training and the user experience.

Replied 4/3/2020

Top TriNet Zenefits Alternatives

Timesheets.com

Square Point of Sale

QuickBooks Online Advanced

Kelsi

Reviewed on 28/10/2019

Zenefits Review

our overall experience with zenefits has been positive. The on boarding tools offer a wide variety of options an customization that really make the initial process a lot easier.

Pros

The part that we liked most about zenefits is that it gave us one place to keep all employee documents. We also like that we could set up an employee by using the on boarding (hiring) service through zenfits which allows the employee to start their profile an also fill out needed employment documents electronically.

Cons

Initially we thought that the time card piece of zenefits was something that we were going to be able to use and would be rather handy for us. We quickly learned that Zenefits has not yet set up this module in a way that truly works for subcontracts who have to track employee's time by job number and phase code both. It can be done but takes a large amount of manual entry on the administrators part which then defeats the purpose of using such a tool.

BambooHR

Reasons for Switching to TriNet Zenefits

we choose zenefits over bamboo because of the time card application.
Kathleen
  • Industry: Printing

Reviewed on 7/6/2021

Very Poor Customer Support

Very frustrating and a lot of time wasted.

Pros

Ease of use is good and Digital app for the employees is very helpful. Saves HR time in updating information because employees can do it themselves from their phone app.

Cons

Very poor customer support. Limited update and communication. I have open cases that are still open. Account rep is very nice but there's nothing he can do. If I talk to a live technical rep, they often give varying opinions, so it's confusing. Uploading renewal of Benefits package too cumbersome and I have been asking for someone to walk me through and I never got any response. They close the case when it's even resolved. After sales support is really very bad and that's where it's most needed.

Reviewed on 27/9/2021

Love Zenefits!

Pros

It's easy to use and keeps us compliant. It has brought up things we didn't even know we needed and helped keep us compliant.

Cons

Customer service can be hard to reach, but their help center is robust and they have training courses to help.

Gusto

Reasons for Switching to TriNet Zenefits

Zenefits had more HR features and our payroll situation is simple.
Katherine
  • Industry: Photography

Reviewed on 2/1/2020

User Friendly Solution

I use Zenefits daily and really do enjoy it. There are a few bug fixes that need to happen, but overall I do really like the product.

Pros

Super user friendly and you can easily find whatever you are looking for

Cons

The app is very buggy with clock in/out feature

BambooHR

Reasons for Switching to TriNet Zenefits

Bamboo HR didn't have everything we were looking for

Response from TriNet Group

Thanks for provide feedback Katherine!

Replied 4/3/2020
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 16/11/2020

Turn-key payroll and benefits solution for start-ups

Over, I would highly recommend Zenefits for companies that are looking for a simple way to manage their HR needs.

Pros

Very simple and intuitive interface.
Makes managing HR, payroll, and benefits easy.

Cons

Could have more seamless integration of 3rd party healthcare providers.

Gusto

Reasons for Switching to TriNet Zenefits

History of using Zenefits for over 3 years with no problems.
Richard

Reviewed on 28/11/2020

Payroll is hard

Overall very good, but as I mention above, payroll is tricky, and CRITICAL! I had some stressful moments with payroll, but once it is set up it is very easy to administer.

Pros

i like the self-service aspect access for my employees and using Zenefits for onboarding.

Cons

Payroll admin is a hard, specialized topic. I could have used a little more hand-holding in getting payroll up and running.

Paylocity

Reasons for Switching to TriNet Zenefits

Better feature-price value combination and easier employee access
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 25/11/2020

User friendly!!

Wonderful overall, would definitely recommend

Pros

I love how incredibly user friendly zenefits is for the staff and management. The convenience of the app is a big bonus too.

Cons

Wish there was more customization available

ThrivePass

Reasons for Switching to TriNet Zenefits

Had a better overall experience with the transition to zenefits
Otto

Reviewed on 8/12/2020

21 days and counting for customer support RE: Tax issue

Pros

The software is comprehensive and allows us to make one purchase for everything we need. The price is right and fair

Cons

We had no cons until recently when we submitted a support request to the tax department. Some state taxes went unpaid by Zenefits Payroll. State governments give a very short period of time before they begin levying 10% + interest. (In our case we had 10 days to rectify the issue or send a response). So far we are 21 days into our support request and have not received any response other than the initial confirmation of receipt. We followed up 8 business days in, and were met with silence. This will likely be a the reason we change software in 2021.

RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Choosing TriNet Zenefits

Zenefits was comprehensive and offered both HR and payroll aspects

Zenefits was comprehensive
  • Industry: Human Resources

Reviewed on 12/10/2020

Stay Away From This Company

I am filled with regret switching to Zenefits. We have spent 40+ hours easily setting things up. I can't disrupt our employees again with another switch. I woudl if I could.

Pros

I like the idea of what they are trying to accomplish...a hub for HR and payroll. They missed the mark because they created a product that doesn't flow and is very difficult to use. The customer service has a 3 day min wait. If I could leave, I would in a heartbeat. Filled with regret.

Cons

When you are trying to set up the core of your business and continue to function seamlessly, customer service should be available at all business hours. If you are lucky enough to get a calndly link, you can schedule, but there is usuallya minimum of 3 days to wait. This is so unacceptable.

The product itself is clunky, disjointed and not at all intuitive. You have to go to different sections to see different things about an employee instead of clicking in tehri name and seeing everything related to their employment in one spot.

Thet auto-approved our payroll on teh last day of teh pay cycle prior to teh day's end. That is crazy.

Doug

Reviewed on 17/10/2017

Awesome Software - Absolutely Awful Support

Gusto is by far the best payroll, and even if you go with Zenefits I suggest you use them for payroll. Do not let Zenefits convince you to switch over. Pretty much only their sales people are responsive/friendly and as soon as you pay, they disappear. If you are big enough to go with Workday, go with them (IIRC they require 12 employees). BambooHR has a decent option, but watch for the hidden fees. They're not really upfront on all the costs, and their stuff is complicated enough they require you to go through training to use it. I am REALLY hopeful that new management at Zenefits will finally clean things up, or Gusto will enter the full market of Zenefits and put them out of business. Gusto support is awesome, just don't leave Gusto in the middle of the year. They have a policy that you can't come back in the same year.

Pros

For a small business there is not anyone cheaper than Zenefits and they have much greater integration and overall HR flow management than pretty much anyone I could find. When everything works, Zenefits is a beautiful thing.

Cons

Zenefits support is absolutely horrible. If there was ANY competitor that was anywhere close to having what they have at anywhere near their cost, I would have left by now. Support makes me downright angry on a regular basis. They don't read your questions and try to answer a different question, they take two or more days to respond (and there is no phone support), they tell you they'll call you back and do not, they give you wrong information over and over again. Almost no one who works there has any clue what they are doing, and their software messes up sometimes. The combination of the two has been a nightmare. I am constantly wondering if I'm actually saving time by using them, or if all the time I save is eating up with my many hours of arguing with support.

saqlain
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Reviewed on 16/3/2023

"Zanefit: Personalized Wellness Coaching and Community for Improved Health and Wellbeing"

Zenefits is a wellness platform that offers personalized coaching, nutrition advice, fitness programs, and a community of like-minded individuals who are working towards improving their health. Users work with a coach to develop a customized plan that takes into account their specific needs and goals. They can also access a variety of resources, including meal plans, exercise programs, and educational content.

Pros

One of the things that users have appreciated about Zenefit is the personalized approach to coaching. By working with a coach to develop a customized plan, users are able to receive guidance that is tailored to their specific needs and goals. This has helped many users see better results in their wellness journey.Another pro of Zenefit is the community aspect. Users have reported feeling supported and motivated by connecting with other like-minded individuals who are also working towards improved health and wellbeing. This sense of community can be especially beneficial for people who are starting out on their wellness journey and may feel overwhelmed or alone.Overall, Zenefit appears to offer a comprehensive and personalized approach to wellness coaching that can be effective for many individuals.

Cons

One potential drawback is the cost. While personalized coaching and access to a community can be beneficial, these services can also come with a higher price tag. Some users have reported that the cost of using Zenefit can be prohibitive, especially for those on a tight budget.Another potential con is that some users may prefer a more independent approach to wellness. While the personalized coaching and community aspect of Zenefit can be helpful for many people, some users may prefer to develop their own fitness and nutrition plans, or may not want to share their journey with others.Finally, it's worth noting that results may vary. While many users have reported positive outcomes from using Zenefit, it's important to keep

LAURA

Reviewed on 11/2/2021

Lots of Potential but Customer Service is Abysmal

Zenefits is fine until you have an issue and need a human being to walk you through something. You will sit on hold for literally hours until a rep answers. This has been my experience on multiple occasions. They are not good at heading off issues either. In January 2021 there was an issue where hours were not porting to payroll and payroll was due that day. As a user, I kept thinking what am I doing wrong, sat on hold for 3+ hours waiting for a rep, figured out a workaround only to find out it was a system issue. A simple email to administrators with the information and workaround would have saved me hours of work. Another current example is I have an employee who entered his SSN incorrectly into the system and now has a W2 that is incorrect. Customer Service has sent two form emails but zero information on what needs to be done and the timeline. Very frustrating to work with Zenefits especially when you have an issue that is time sensitive.

Pros

I like that I can keep my HR in one place online and the general onboarding of certain positions in our company with the template is easy and straightforward.

Cons

Time and Attendance is clunky to use accurately. There is an app for employees to clock in but it's easy for mistakes to occur. Onboarding is clunky too if you want to send an offer letter that is not part of a template and still have the new hire, say a manager with a negotiated salary, sign online.

Donna

Reviewed on 16/4/2018

Zenefits us primarily in benefits administration, onboarding e-paperwork, and ACA reporting.

ACA Reporting, benefits administration, and electronic onboarding.

Pros

The apps are are very organized and "user friendly". Customer support has improved significantly in the past year. It is a pro that there are multiple HR functions electronically administered. It has made many HR functions in my company more efficient which allows us to focus on strategic goals and other areas. Zenefits assist us mostly in ACA reporting, e-paperwork for onboarding, limited compliance assistance, basic data reporting, and PTO administration. It has transition our new hire paperwork to e-files. Speaking from a small company of 65, it is a helpful product to keep data stored, electronic onboarding, PTO, and ACA Reporting.

Cons

Zenefits charges by certain App usage. For example, administering FSA or HSA via Zenefits will charge a fee per enrollees in addition to the number of employee per month. We are hoping for their Benchmark app from HR Compliance to provide more data that we can use to create customized reports. I believe that the benchmark data can definitely be improved. I would like to learn more about how this product can be used as a company's "Employer Intranet Portal" website or assist the company in "employee performance or management" function.

Barbara

Reviewed on 17/11/2020

Giving credit where credit is due!

Love the ease of use of Zenefits and it's user friendliness.

Pros

I love to give credit where credit is due. I have suggested to my HR peers the ease of using Zenefits several times. Our company chose Zenefits to be the HR/Payroll/Benefits management system for our fast growing company because we needed to automate and help employees self administer routine HR related tasks and help us manage this without having to add new FTEs to our HR dept functions. Our [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] did an analytical review of several vendors and Zenefits was by far the most comprehensive at the right price point that met all of our criteria. Going with Zenefits met our objectives and has allowed us to grow rapidly without consuming the company with manual HR/Payroll/Benefits administration. As with ANY HR platform, there are always items you would like to improve or change and Zenefits is always doing that and looking for feedback.

Cons

Customer service is slow to respond. The time card page often freezes up. There needs to be a way to add an additional manager. Need a disciplinary app.

Teresa
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services

Reviewed on 14/12/2017

Zenefits has been great for our company!

Pros

Zenefits has been a great way for a small business, like us, to ease into technology. It has really great and helpful tools, the cost is far less than alternative options, and their customer support is usually excellent. It has helped cut down benefits paperwork tremendously, kept us ACA compliant, streamlined our hiring process, and we were able to customize other areas (such as documents) to help us track policies & trainings. We're still finding ways to be able to customize it to work for our company. So with all of the options we use and new ways we are able to customize it, the cost continues to go down once it's all factored into the equation.

Cons

Zenefits is a fast moving company, so sometimes changes come fast and furious. They usually are good changes, so that helps ease the burden. However, sometimes it can feel like I just learned how to use something and then it changes. But I guess that's also just the new normal. Other than lots of changes, I really don't have a lot of cons. When I come across issues, I contact a customer service rep and things are usually taken care of. I'm sure there are little things I would tweak here and there, but nothing significant that would make me not recommend using this product.

Lauren

Reviewed on 25/3/2020

Easy to use HR Platform

Overall, I've enjoyed using Zenefits as both an employee and a manager. I enjoy the easy access to documents, overall design, and helpful Support team.

Pros

I've used Zenefits for almost 4 years now, and I've always enjoyed its ease of use and UI, compared with other HR portals I've used in the past (like ADP). As an employee, it's always easy for me to request time off, view other employees in the organization, view/manage benefits, file HSA claims, and more. When I started my job, I remember how easy the onboarding process was with digital signatures on documents and other important forms. I'm now a manager and enjoy the interface for each of my direct reports. As a visual person, I also enjoy the simple design and color scheme. Reaching out to the Support team is also easy - via email and requesting a call. Support agents have been helpful and friendly.

Cons

It's a bit vague about who I should contact with issues regarding my account, in the Help portal. I never know if I should I contact my HR Manager or Zenefits support directly? For example, my Zenefits HSA no longer works. I can't find info the Knowledge Base on how to get a replacement card. This will lead me to submit a support ticket, but I wish I could find the answer easier in the app. I also think an account walk-through would be nice for new users.

Response from TriNet Group

Lauren, we appreciate your feedback and your business!

Replied 26/3/2020
Diana
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Reviewed on 11/4/2018

I have used many HRIS products in my career - I love the simplicity and sophistication of...

Pros

There is so much to love - ease of configuration, plug and play functionality, instantaneous user access, complete control of documents, transparency to users, intuitive and consistent interfaces - the back-end touches that make this system so simple to use. New hires consistently comment on the simplicity of their onboarding and the professional appearance of the documents and emails they receive through Zenefits.

I also appreciate that COBRA and other compliance requirements are seamlessly handled for me. I can be an HR department of one with Zenefits as my HR Coordinator.

As a small nonprofit, we look for value and long-term investment in everything we buy - this has been one of the best and most effective purchases we have made.

Cons

I haven't found anything that I don't like or that I like less than something else. I have always been pleased with the changes and improvements made and have always received great customer service in a timely manner.

Robyn
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Reviewed on 10/1/2018

Zenefits was the first HRIS system my small company used (100 employee)

Worth taking a look at.

Pros

User friendly for both HR and employees (self-serve) --easy and intuitive to use. Incredibly easy to create customized reports off using almost any data point(s). Smooth automated benefits enrollment process. Responsive customer service and great online help tools. System doesn't go down and is fast enough to keep up with our needs.

Cons

Zenefits is still 'young' and getting its act together. Used to be free until last year and they are still evolving their pricing structure, so they may end up being too expensive for our small company. Considerable personnel turnover in past 2 years and change in how they manage some functions (for instance, they now outsource benefits management to a 3rd party company instead of managing benefits inhouse and I am not overly impressed with the current benefits mgmt. group). Limited paid time off functionality (system only allows tracking of one paid time off process and my company has 2 discrete time off policies).

Reviewed on 17/4/2018

A Must-have for small businesses with employees. Gone are the days of Spreadsheets and file...

As a small business with only a few employees, it REALLY helps with getting our HR stuff together.

Pros

So first off, we use zenefits on a daily basis for just about all of our HR functions. The support is great for when we've run into the very rare bug, and sales is always quick to get back to me.

They regularly release new features and improve existing ones.
They are also VERY receptive to user feedback and idea suggestions.

Cons

Ya know, I'm not one to nitpick, but i have run into a few small issues lately.
Primarily, the issue we have now is that we've been on Zenefits for a few years now and have older "Legacy Pricing". We however do all HR tasks on Zenefits EXCEPT payroll.

Well fast forward a few years, their payroll product actually looks fairly promising.... until i learned that in order to start using their Payroll service, i have to first be updated to their newer more expensive billing plan.

Bah.

Sandy
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Reviewed on 10/4/2018

Excellent user interface for the admin and employees alike.

An easy to use interface and a tool that allows our employees to electronically and seamlessly on-board. I enjoy that the tool automatically reminds the end-users to complete tasks and keeps track of everything in one useful tool. I would like to see it become an intranet for employees to access company specific templates, content and tools.

Pros

What I like most about Zenefits is that it allows our employee on-boarding process to be completely automated and electronic. I love it!

Cons

The software I like, but being an earlier adopter, there were many growing pains within the company which caused a lot of issues with our open enrollment for two consecutive years. We recently resigned our contract and based on what we need, went with the basic (silver?) plan, which doesn't include Vacation Tracking. We don't need all of the HR support since we're a consulting services company. With that said, I'm disappointed that we weren't grandfathered in to having that tool.

Dustin
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 13/11/2017

Great concept but poor customer service and execution.

Loved the idea of the concept, was basically sold on idea to have a PTO software that we could use for employees to use without a fee.. then once all were onboard, we had to pay per month and now you can't even call for assistance when you have a problem.

Pros

Has a mobile app that employees can access from virtually anywhere, can see a shared calendar that will display in outlook with employees scheduled off.

Cons

No customer service phone number, no email addresses for specific reps, customer service must be contacted online thru a job ticket (if an account is locked out, can't even submit ticket for contact and no phone number to call), managers don't have access to the employee review sections (must grant managers admin rights, which then opens the door for past requests to be deleted by an employee.. big problem), system was not set up properly and allows for managers to approve time off when employees did not have the time available.. no pop up that would ask "are you sure?" type thing, can not print an employees PTO time, multiple tabs to even get total time taken/available.

Reviewed on 16/6/2017

Simple to use for admins & employees love it!

Pros

As Zenefits users for the past three years, we've loved how easy the solution is for onboarding new employees. Employees have made comments like "I knew the company really 'got it' when the onboarding was so simple. It also nice to manage everything in one platform - payroll, benefits, onboarding, business intelligence, etc. Without Zenefits we would likely need an additional employee just to do paperwork. Zenefits has always been responsive to our needs as an organization and our customer success manager has been extremely helpful.

Cons

We had a rough open enrollment process with the tool, but we started earlier this year and should be in better shape. Because the tool is constantly evolving, sometimes features come and go (Zenefits got rid of an in-house stock options tool they had built and so we had to switch vendors as a result).