Square for Retail Reviews

Visit Website

About Square for Retail

Square for Retail is a cloud-based point of sale (POS) and retail solution for all retailers. Key features include inventory management, customer relationship management, reporting and employee management. The solution comes with...

Browse Square for Retail Reviews

Shawn
Shawn

Reviewed on 17/11/2019

Fantastic!

I have been using this register for sometime now. I use it for all my transactions and even take it with me for fairs and markets. I do all my inventory with it and the barcode scanner it’s simple. I have low inventory alerts set up to remind me to reorder products. You can create a personalized customer file for each customer and track their sales. I have square loyalty which lets you set up a customer loyalty program to reward regular customers.

Pros

I love how it’s so easy to use and very user friendly. I have the Square Register which has a large screen for me and a small screen in the front for the customers transaction. It is easy to add inventory by name and barcode with the barcode scanner. You can set up alerts, and I can still use it for cash transactions. I have the cash drawer accessory so it opens as soon as soon as you complete cash sale. It is basically a very advanced and convenient cash register that isn’t large and bulky.

Cons

The price is a little steep for small businesses. You can get the system that requires an iPad but I didn’t see the point. If you don’t have an iPad you have to purchase that in addition. I settled for the standalone register.

Caleb

Reviewed on 17/1/2020

Square Retail works great but the customer service is terrible

Overall it has been a great tool and finding a better solution has been tough. I have checked numerous POS systems and I end up just staying with square. I wish they would update there new register system like the retail app. I also wish they had better customer service. Without fail every time I have contacted square they say they will have to look further into the situation and contact me back but they never do. It has happen every time I have contacted square.

Pros

The software is great to do all transactions, returns and exchanges. I like the fact that it prints a barcode at the bottom of the receipt so when a customer comes back for a return we just scan the bottom of the receipt and the transaction pops right up.

Cons

I end up getting the new square register in hope that it would act just like the retail app for the Ipad. The fact is that square won't update the new register. It has no exchange option like the Ipad app does and you end up needing to set up both the Ipad and register. Square has known about this issue for years now. You can see the complaints on the square forum page. Square also does not have a spot for barcodes so you end up having to put your barcodes in the sku spots. The loyalty point system also has some problems. When you do a return it doesn't automatically take points back from the customer account.

Epos Now, Shopify POS and eHopper

Epos Now, Shopify POS and eHopper

Reasons for Switching to Square for Retail

These other products lacked to many other features that I couldn't make the switch. It had a lot to do with the rewards program and the back office software.
Crayle
  • Used for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 17/6/2021

I'm Not Sure Why This Is The Default For So Many

I haven't processed any sales. I don't trust the company enough to handle my money. They claim to be for mobile businesses, but require a desktop to manage your account. Many pages of their site were broken when I did my set up. Their customer service leaves much to be desired.

Pros

The fee structure is lower than some, and they send first time users a free mag strip reader. That's really the only benefit I can see.

Cons

-You can't manage your account from your phone. Most options are grayed out and say "desktop required."
-Once I got to my desktop, the site was really buggy and hard to use. For instance, little black dialogue boxes telling what kind of info to put in each field hover over the space you actually need to type in when you do your account set-up. When you hit the "X" in the corner of the dialogue box that is blocking your view of the typing area, a full-screen pop-up asks "Are you sure you want to leave setup?" No, I don't want to leave setup, I just need this box out of the way. My first form that I filled out was full of typos, because I couldn't see the field to type in through the black dialogue boxes.
-Their customer service is REALLY bad. When I had trouble signing up for the free card reader, I used the WORST customer service bot I've ever seen. It just kept sending bursts of 3-5 messages with links to broken pages on their website based on key words before I could even fully type my question. Then the human customer service rep I chatted with wanted to add things to my cart for me and kept trying to assume the sale before actually addressing my problem.

Clover

Top Square for Retail Alternatives

Demi

Reviewed on 15/1/2024

Pretty good! I’ve heard about other people’s issues, but haven’t had them for myself. It’s easy, and worth the discount given to get the reader.

Pros

It’s very simple to use, everything is right there for you, walking you through every step.

Cons

Sometimes based on your internet, it can be a pain to work with. Make sure your somewhere with a good signal.

Janna
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Reviewed on 2/4/2020

Square is super easy and I love it.

Overall, it's awesome, super easy to use and I love it.

Pros

I love how easy it was to start taking credit cards and to use Square as my POS. It syncs to my accounting software automatically and keeps track of all my products, invoices and charges.

Cons

There isn't an automatic section for shipping and I have to add it manually as its own category. Not sure why they haven't built this into their invoicing platform yet even though so many people have asked about this.

Nicola
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 25/3/2021

Easy solution for taking payment

Square has made it so easy to run the retail side of my business along with saving me a ton of money on fees my old bank charged for credit card processing.

Pros

In the past I've used traditional forms of credit card accepting machines and software provided by my bank. Very expensive and cumbersome. Square has made accepting credit cards cost effective and very easy. The retail setup has made keeping inventory easy along with sorting out sales taxes. The advantage of using AP on phone when not in store is extremely helpful and again very easy to use.

Cons

No real cons, If I were to get picky I'd say initial set up takes a bit of time but nothing really worth complaining about.

PayPal

Reasons for Choosing Square for Retail

Cost was much better with square, speed of deposits was better with Square and customer service is better with Square.

Reasons for Switching to Square for Retail

No one offered all that Square did for the price.
Alex
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 5/8/2019

The Only Way To Accept Payments For Small Business

I recommend using Square for small business purposes only. That being said, they have a wonderful option for POS.

Pros

The Square plugin was super easy to use and fit most devices. The application is simple and adjustments were easy to make changes to. Paperless receipts are the best way to go about transactions.

Cons

The price was a little high for the software. Using the plugin had its disadvantages if you use a phone and that phone has a protective case. The application sometimes froze.

Venmo

Reasons for Switching to Square for Retail

The popularity among companies meant ease of use.
Trincell
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 30/7/2021

Easy Sales and Storefeont

I was the one assisting a friend with setting up her storefront while working on mine as well. Through mine I invoiced to accept payment for items on hand or orders personally placed with me.

Pros

User friendly platform to load your storefront with products. Present templates that are also customizable to your liking. Integration of an inventory model to track what you have left on hand.

Cons

Have a plan for your products of offering multiple size and/or color options before entering on the site. It's much harder to edit and change the categories once it's set. Know what your page intent is as well ahead of schedule.

PayPal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Venmo, PayPal Zettle and Samsung Pay

Reasons for Switching to Square for Retail

Added alternative means for my customers to pay and shop.
Renee
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 13/2/2023

Convenient, easy to use POS for small business

Overall, Square has simplified our POS system and with its easy to use reporting, we are able to manage our books quicker and more accurately.

Pros

The ability to take Square from our main location, to mobile and take payment anywhere

Cons

Connectivity issues with WIFI occasionally

• Industry: Publishing

Reviewed on 22/8/2019

A Useful Solution for your eCommerce Needs

Overall I am pleased with Square because, for my business at least, it covers most of my needs. Set up could not be easier. Simply log-in to the application and begin creating store items. You can even allocate a low inventory alert so that you will always know if your inventory supplies are dwindling. It's very easy to assign a bank account to Square and the approval process, unlike some eCommerce providers, is almost instantaneous. Setting up the seller page is also easy and Square offers a variety of templates to choose from. No programming knowledge is needed and the page is largely WYSIWYG, so there are no surprises. The site displays well across PCs, tables, and phones.

Pros

Square for Retail enables you to easily create an online eCommerce store, list your products, and sell them. It's quite simple to use, and this is perhaps what is the best reason to use Square. It is particularly useful for small businesses trying to build sales via social media and other online avenues. At the same time, it is useful for brick-and-mortar stores as well. While I use it for online sales, several of my colleagues use Square in their stores.

Cons

A big drawback is that Square (as of the writing of this review) is unable to process payments from outside the United States. Thus, if you anticipate worldwide sales, Square may not be the best solution for your business. A second drawback is that it can be difficult to reach a live customer service representative. Unlike most companies, in which one simply phones in for service, Square requires that you first create a trouble ticket (at which point you will be assigned a case number). You then use the case number when phoning customer service. It's not horrible but in today's business world it's kind of annoying and time consuming. Square also lacks live online help, which is another downside.

Nate
  • Industry: Music

Reviewed on 9/8/2017

I have mixed feelings. I like the look/feel of the old app better. It seemed more user...

Pros

I like the ability to transfer inventory from one store to another. I like the ability to have employees clock-in/clock-out to keep track of pay and what items a specific employee sells. I like the ability to adjust quantities from the app instead of just the dashboard.

Cons

I don't like that I can't view another store's inventory from the app. Very often, I find myself saying, "We don't have that in-stock here, but I know it's in-stock at our other location." It'd be very helpful to be able to type in an item and view quantity in-stock for all locations. I also HATE that there are not "tickets" available anymore. I own a music store that offers instrument repairs and we also have special orders. For instrument repairs - the amount is variable depending on what needs done and I also notate the transaction with the instrument type, brand, serial number - what parts were used, and what was done under the "Quantity and Notes" section. I don't want to have to look up that information and type into a transaction with the customer standing at the register. In the other app, I could do all of that when no one was in the store and save it as a ticket. Then when they come into the store, all I had to do was pull up the ticket and they were good to go. Same with special orders. I don't want to add inventory into Square, assign it a price, add the SKU, put it into a category, set the quantity, etc., if I'm not going to STOCK the item. So for special orders, I like to just type in the information under "Custom Amount," but I do like to notate the transaction under "Quantity and Notes" with the title and SKU so I can look back and see what it was. I don't want to do that typing when a customer arrives, so I prefer to save it as a ticket. Now I can't do that.

Julianne
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Reviewed on 14/4/2019

Best POS system I've found

As a small business owner, I would highly recommend Square over other services that have higher fees and monthly charges. It's easy to use and I almost never experience glitches, so customer service isn't even needed that much.

Pros

Despite what I wrote in my "cons", this really is the best software I've found for card sales for my company. Most of them charge you a monthly fee in addition to a percentage of every sale, which thankfully is not the case with Square. It's very easy to use if you're not familiar with POS software. Customer service is also very easy to reach and quite friendly from my experience.

Cons

Unfortunately, you have to buy their most expensive software to only have 2.4% taken out from every credit card purchase. Otherwise, you'll be charged more. I know that's just how POS systems are... but it's too bad we are charged a percentage of every purchase to simply use their product, given it's not their money. I also wish there were more customization features available. I just used Quickbooks (which is compatible with Square) instead of Square itself to do all the customizing so I also didn't have to put Square advertisements on all of our receipts, which doesn't look very professional.

Joshua

Reviewed on 5/7/2018

A great and easy way for receiving payments.

Pros

I really like how sleek, modern, and clean this method for receiving payment works. It has a very modern GUI, with large clear numbers and values as opposed to the majority of credit card readers that have much more pixelated appearances and significantly smaller font sizes in comparison. Also, the ease of the option of signing when required with a finger on a touchscreen device is better than the alternatives available today such as signing with a physical pen or a stylus for digital screens. These features save time at checkout which in turn increases efficiency, and as my time is very valuable to me, I greatly appreciate these factors that contribute to the ease of use.

Cons

While there is not much to dislike, I have noticed that sometimes cards are not read as easily with this software at times. While this is perhaps more a function of the hardware used to swipe or scan credit or debit cards, I have noted a bit of a trend with this when using Square with certain cards while performing with other card types have been flawless. This makes me suspicious if it is related to a software issue. Otherwise, I have no complaints about Square.

Jackie

Reviewed on 5/12/2019

Easy to use for all people

We need to be able to track which massage therapist saw which client, and with the notes section, we are able to do so with ease. We can also track commission on products that way making sure no transaction gets left behind. We also use square for our payroll. Having it all linked to one account is great!

Pros

Square was very easy to navigate. It has many options to customize the software to fit any business’s needs. You can write a custom note about each transaction, making it easy to review the register at the end of the day.

Cons

I haven’t ran into any problems with the software. As a massage & wellness center, we often do events and need to take our ‘cash register’ with us. Square makes it easy using the same credit card reader for in house transactions or cell phones on the go. It is all tracked the same way.

Kristen
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Reviewed on 27/11/2019

Easy and efficient

Organizing all products sold, in stock, and custom orders.

Pros

I can keep my sales, products, and inventory in one place. No problems every occur when using. Great software which helps me keep our business organized.

Cons

I haven't encountered any problems. Everything is working efficiently like it should. It even gives suggestions.

PayPal Invoicing

Better consumer reviews
Elena
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Reviewed on 5/12/2018

Calling All Scout Troop Leaders: Square is great for your booth sales! (and other small...

I'm a Girl Scout Troop leader, and using Square has revolutionized our cookie booth sales. Now when someone says they don't have cash, we can give them the option to pay with a card,w which has gotten us a tom of sales we would otherwise have messed out on. We make a tiny margin on cookie sales as a troop, but Square's charges are so reasonable that it still works out very much to our benefit to use it. I highly recommend it for any kind of booth-style vendor, whether you're a troop, a church holding a bake sale or rummage sale, or a small business person vending at farmers' markets and craft fairs.

Pros

Super easy to set up, easy to process payments, easy to generate receipts, and easy to track sales. Plus it's a very reasonable cost and lets you be much more accessible as a seller - no more juggling tons of loose cash!

Cons

It can sometimes be glitchy, and obviously only works if there's a good internet connection. I had some initial problems with my chip reader that forced me to hand-enter a lot of cards, which is time consuming. But on the plus side, that option exists for when there's a problem with the reader.

Travis
  • Industry: Museums & Institutions

Reviewed on 17/7/2021

The new way to handle Point of sale

We started using Square just for events then migrated to using it for all of our credit card transactions and now we use it for our entire point of sale.

Pros

The overall ease of use is great. But the real winner for our organization was that the merchant fees were so much more reasonable than our prior merchant. The ability to track inventory is also very helpful, and has simplified my life.

Cons

The void system being only for restaurant usage is a bit frustrating. The reporting system could also use more options for customization.

Amy
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Reviewed on 6/1/2020

Great product!

I would definitely recommend this product to somebody just for the ease-of-use alone! If you are a crafter or a small business owner who travels and has a booth instead of brick and mortar for a store I highly recommend this product for easy travel! Or even if you are a store that has brick and mortar it is so easy to add and change your inventory but I also highly recommend this product for you!

Pros

I love using my square register for my retail as a crafter and a writer. I go around to craft shows to sell my books and my products and I use Square all the time. It is a great product because it is so easy to use and I can use it right on my phone which makes it even simpler so I don't have to log a laptop or another credit card processing system with me.

Cons

The only problem I have with this product is the fact that the percentages for the processing fees keep going up. Not making very much as a crafter or a writer every penny counts. I wish there was a way to minimize the processing fee .

Lynn

Reviewed on 25/10/2018

Square for Retail is the easiest I have ever used.

This product is perfect for my needs. Works exactly as described on their website and support (if needed) is immediate and complete. Use with confidence.

Pros

Very easy to use. Quick email confirmation / almost instant at times. Fast turn around when actually getting the money into my bank account. I use it A LOT for credit card purchases over the phone (no card present). Yes, the fees are about .5% higher but always very FAST and very Reliable.

Cons

Nothing. I only use the remote card swiper when at a seminar or speaking engagement.

Mim

Reviewed on 14/10/2020

Super easy to use and avoids the common problem of not having cash on hand!

I appreciate that this system exists for business owners as I use it often when shopping locally. I rarely carry cash around anymore, so it's super helpful to have a system like this to utilize. I also trust it more than having to "securely" pay someone through another system that involves sending them a payment vs being able to swipe my card using the magnetic strip reader.

Pros

Living in an area where there are a lot of community events (farmers markets), smaller boutiques and local shops, I tend to use this as a consumer a lot. I love how simple it is to utilize when I'm checking out, how it allows me to use a card vs having to carry cash around.

Cons

I can't think of any cons to this system as a consumer and user of it. There might be charges incurred for the business owners that implement or purchase the system, but I would say it is definitely worth it from a consumer-standpoint.

Reviewed on 13/1/2020

Great POS for Small Business

Overall we are pleased with Square and its features. We would like to see Square integrate better with other platforms.

Pros

Square is great for small business it allows the merchant to just pay a fee when a card is swiped rather than a monthly service fee and the percentage charged for swiping a card. They do have an inventory tracking system which is great if that is the only platform you use for inventory. You also get the benefit of free hardware if you choose not to purchase the Square POS system. Square deposits are quick, no holding funds for long periods of time like PayPal. Overall Square is very versatile and we have been very happy with it.

Cons

The inventory tracking system is cumbersome and doesn't work nicely with QBO or Shopify. It cannot sync with our Shopify store which ultimately means we have to keep both platforms updated which is a real pain.

Jerry
  • Industry: Computer Hardware

Reviewed on 12/8/2020

Great solution

Pros

Inexpensive to buy! Swipers are free and chip readers are only 49.00. Square is easy to use in store or out of store. Processing fees are the lowest I've found anywhere.

Cons

Make sure you use a tablet thats fast. Don't buy a cheap tablet of 30.00. pay upward of 75.00 other wise its very slow.

• Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 31/10/2019

Easy to get started and expand as you grow!

Outstanding overall. Square is super reliable and user friendly.

Pros

I like how easy it is to create a great looking online storefront. Clean and simple design options, easy to add/delete items, keep track of inventory, and an endless list of benefits!

Cons

It is limited as far as page layout and imagery! The gift card function is not displayable on the product pages... or if it is I've not yet figured it out.

Kevin
  • Industry: Sporting Goods

Reviewed on 29/9/2020

Seamless Website Integration

Amazing solution that just works! Loyalty program is awesome and like everything else, seamless. Honestly was not even planning on keeping the software once a better solution was put in place. This IS the better solution!

Pros

I was able to have my website up and running within a day after the design team I hired to build my site were unable to deliver it in over a month's time. Once you have input your products to sell it is a seamless process to get them onto your own website with Weebly.

Cons

There is a bit of redundancy when adding new products, but not too bad. Especially once you get the hang of it.

Wix and Shopify

Inegration.

Reviewed on 9/3/2020

Easy to accept payments on the go and fantastic integration

I can charge for my uploaded products from Etsy (which love updates), or enter a specific dollar amount when charging a different price or charging for a product that hasn’t been listed online in my store. I get paid in a reasonable amount of time and it easily integrates with the rest of my shop for recording keeping.

Pros

Along with the square credit card reader, I’m easily able to accept payments from my customers in person. I love that this is integrated with my Etsy shop. I’m easily able to charge for specific products, update my inventory when making a sale, and still keep track of the transaction inside my Etsy account.

Cons

The only thing I don’t particularly like is the up charge for accessing funds immediately, but I can usually wait the couple of days to get paid and it’s not a big deal.