About Bench

Bench is the online bookkeeping platform for small business owners. Each month, Bench automatically gathers transaction data from all connected business accounts. Then, a dedicated team of bookkeepers ensures books are tax-ready. ...

4.7
4.7

Browse Bench Reviews

• Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 19/10/2020

Love Bench!

Bench is the easiest way to manage our books online. It's been a huge time and money saver over the last few years.

Pros

I've been using Bench for years now and it's so simple to see and manage my books. When something isn't categorized correctly, I add a comment and it's moved over to the right one. It's been great and easy to use.

Cons

The monthly income statements are behind often. I have to ask to get them on time. I wish it integrated with Quickbooks as my CPA can easily manipulate the data for reports.

Reasons for Choosing Bench

The accountant was slow and took forever to make small updates.

Reasons for Switching to Bench

I didn't want to do the work!

Response from Bench Accounting

Thanks, Chris! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and feedback. We've passed your comments to your team as well! Wishing you all the best.

Byron

Reviewed on 17/2/2020

Bench is great

My accounting was solved using bench, literally it's set it and forget it, these guys are top notch and make your life easy.

Pros

Incredibly supportive staff, intuitive friendly user-interface, provided year end tax portfolio that I could easily give to my CPA. Bench is just fantastic, I can't say enough good things about the way they have handled my accounts for the past 3 years, highly recommend. If you're a professional, this is for you.

Cons

The only con here is that I didn't switch sooner.

Response from Bench Accounting

Thank you so much Byron for your kind words! We are so happy to be working with you.

Replied 26/2/2020
Marie
  • Used for 1+ year

Reviewed on 23/7/2020

Bench dropped the ball & gave me a partial refund.

I tested Bench out at the end of 2019 and then hired them for my entire 2020 books. In the beginning, they were on top of things. Then, mid-summer they dropped the ball. My account got passed to another team, and they didn't even touch my books for months. It was a mess. I reached out to customer service and they did give me 2 months of a refund, because the customer service rep (who was very kind & courteous) saw what I saw. In December, I requested for my bookkeeper to fix some miscategorized transactions and later asked, "Hey were those fixed?" She said she fixed them, which was a blatant lie!

On top of all of that, it took them about TWO MONTHS to do my final end of year books that I could pass onto my CPA. I was told they were uploaded, but then they weren't there when I looked for them. I had to request, "Please upload them again." They apologized and did so right away, but by the time I saw them, thank goodness for the COVID extension, because I literally didn't have my deliverables from Bench until April 2020. My filings would have been late.

Pros

Bench is easy to use and navigate. In the beginning, they were fantastic at answering questions I had to help understand how my bookkeeping was being handled. That's about the only good thing I have to say.

Cons

I spent more time dealing with Bench all year long than when I was doing my own bookkeeping on a simple spreadsheet. I expected a learning curve in the beginning. They promised it would get easier "as we learn about your business and transactions," but I found month after month that the same transactions got flagged needing my input. Then, when I did thorough checks on my books, I found several transactions not in the right category. The other thing I didn't like was that my bank constantly needed to be reconnected. I truly felt like I spent more time handling Bench than I would've spend just doing my own bookkeeping.

Reasons for Choosing Bench

I thought having a real person handle my bookkeeping would be faster than doing it myself.

Reasons for Switching to Bench

I chose Bench, because I was hearing good things about them from Ash Ambirge of the Middle Finger Project whom I adore & trust. I liked the idea of a real person on my books, not software I had to manage.

Top Bench Alternatives

QuickBooks Desktop Pro

TurboTax Business

QuickBooks Online Advanced

Jesse
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Reviewed on 12/6/2023

Good Quality; Probably too Much for a Smaller Company

I like the product, but am unsure of the value for smaller firms with fewer expenses.

Pros

I like the ease of use. There is a lot of info that is consolidated well, and the customer service is quick.

Cons

Overall the service works well, but for a small company with relatively few expenses, the $300/mo pricing is a bit steep. I feel that a tiered rate based on expense quantities would be valuable to smaller companies wishing to offload the accounting work, but can't justify the cost.

Response from Bench Accounting

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to offer competitive pricing to reflect the value of the services we provide, including access to a dedicated team of in-house bookkeepers and our proprietary software that automates many bookkeeping tasks.
Most recently, we launched Real-Time Data from your connected financial accounts. This means you get a snapshot view of all your money in and money-out, out whenever you need it, even before your books are closed, allowing you to focus on what's most important - focusing on your business.

Replied 22/6/2023
Heidi

Reviewed on 16/6/2020

Great product, worth the cost for peace of mind

Pros

I like that it's easy to use, comes in a user-friendly format, and simplifies accounting for me. It's dummy-proof! I'm mostly looking forward to an easier tax season with this software.

Cons

It's a little expensive for a one-person office, so I wish there were more tiers in pricing. But I like the product and will continue to use it, and understand that it costs money for a good product.

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi Heidi! Thanks so much for the kind words. If you ever feel that your average monthly expenses have decreased, we can always conduct a pricing review to see if you fall into another pricing tier. All the best!

Replied 12/8/2020
Pat

Reviewed on 3/6/2019

Ditched Quickbooks and saved a lot of time

I am spending a lot less time on bookkeeping and accounting.

Pros

Very easy implementation - love the human support on closing the books each month.

Cons

Not all of my business accounts can be connected via feed (ie intuit payroll), which requires a drag and drop upload each month.

Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Bench

I found quickbooks to be frustrating and required far too many manual adjustments - and I never did completely understand the chart of accounts on QB. It was simply too complicated to use and I was exhausted trying to keep up with everything that I needed to do to get a good set of financials.
Rahul
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 21/1/2021

Easy to use, great customer service

Pros

This was super easy to set up and describe exactly what I was using it for. other providers took ages to figure out how to integrate my Amazon sales but Bench just got it!

Cons

The pricing was a bit on the higher side especially the catch up accounting that ended up being a large lumpsum in my case!

Synder and Quickbooks Online

Better Bookkeeping support and ease of integration with Amazon

Quickbooks Online

Response from Bench Accounting

Thank you so much for sharing, Rahul!

Replied 18/2/2021
Scott
  • Industry: Music

Reviewed on 25/5/2021

Enjoying Bench Accounting for my Small Business

Bench helps me stay on top of my bookkeeping and know that my "i"s are dotted and "t"s are crossed.

Pros

I like how simple it was to connect my bank accounts as well as third party payors (eg. paypal, stripe). The interface is intuitive to navigate and uploading receipts using my custom email is a nifty trick!

Cons

I wish linking to Bench Tax or having some sort of tax center was a bit more seamless.

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi, Scott! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We're thrilled to hear that you're finding our interface user friendly, and that your team has been able to help you stay on top of your finances!

Replied 28/5/2021
Ashley

Reviewed on 23/6/2020

I wish we would have invested in this sooner!

I LOVE it so much!! I wish we would have started using this from the start with our business.

Pros

Bench has changed our business for the better! Having all of our books from month to month in one place is GAME changing! My favorite part is the real time look at the health of our business because our books are now done monthly. I can be confident that we'll never be behind! Which helps us make better business decisions!

Cons

When I was first new to Bench and terms like "balance sheet" and "profit and loss" I wished there was a hover by where you click on them at the top that gave a quick description of what each meant.

Response from Bench Accounting

We're thrilled to hear this, Ashley! We've passed your glowing words to your bookkeeping team, who will be equally as thrilled.

Replied 12/8/2020
Veronica

Reviewed on 27/5/2022

Satisfied Customer

I love it. Bench tracks all expenses and the team communicates regarding expenses in question and suggest "expense categories."

Pros

I love how user friendly the software is. Everything is easy to upload and the team is able to communicate with you and ask for documents or ask questions.

Cons

I have no complaints about any aspect of the software. Very satisfied overall.

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi Veronica, we're so happy to hear you're loving how user-friendly our software is, and how communicative your team has been! We're excited to keep providing the support you need so you can continue to grow your business!

Replied 2/6/2022
Nick
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 6/2/2021

Only Do What Only You Can Do

Pleasant interactions with all personnel I’ve spoken with over the phone or via email. Onboarding was easy and comprehensive. The financials dashboard -+ the app is well designed and easy to access.

Pros

Offloading expense tracking was a massive weight off of my shoulders. I now have more time to lead my small team and know that my accounting is in good hands - if there is ever a question or discrepancy they reach out immediately.

Cons

Honestly the price. I wish it were significantly cheaper. Much of the expense tracking is already done through freshbooks, other financial input apps have APIs for the Bench team to use as well - so I don’t think the limited personal interactions (which is not a detriment-the less I can talk to accountants the better) warrants the steep price tag.

FreshBooks

Reasons for Switching to Bench

Deeper analytics and reconciliation of accounts

Response from Bench Accounting

Thank you so much for sharing, Nick! We're thrilled to hear that we have been able to help take a massive weight off of your shoulders!

Replied 18/2/2021
Jacob

Reviewed on 8/11/2022

SaaS, but with people you get to know

Bit of a bumpy onboarding with aggressive trials clearly operated by a different team, but so much smoother once you start a subscription and are assigned your bookkeeper.

Pros

A pleasant mix of self-service software, with a reliably consistent team who does genuinely get to know my business.

Cons

It is a walled garden, so no integrations with any existing software. Leads to a lot of duplicate or redundant content in Xero, Expensify, and other tools I use.

Xero

Reasons for Switching to Bench

I still use Xero for accounts receivable, but I was struggling to do my own accounting.

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi Jacob, thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and providing feedback. We're thrilled to hear that your team has been consistent and knows your business. We have also taken your feedback back to our teams internally to see if there are any improvements we can make

Replied 17/11/2022
Emily

Reviewed on 9/11/2020

One less thing off of my plate...

I am saving myself hours and hours of handling the bookkeeping. I am confident that it is done correctly and I am not missing anything. I like having someone to ask bookkeeping questions to if need be.

Pros

I was hesitant to start Bench because I thought I could handle the bookkeeping for our business on my own. Managing money has always been a strength for me. However, as my company grows I find that I need to keep delegating and removing things off of my plate. At the same time as a business owner I like to keep as much cash inside the company as possible.

I finally gave the free trial a chance and it has been the BIGGEST weight off of me. I know that my bookkeeping is totally taken care of and done professionally. The stress of organizing everything for taxes is lifted off, and I know that I always have someone working on it everyday on my behalf.

Anytime I have questions I get an immediate response along with very valuable advice. I am a Bench customer for life!

Cons

I don't like that it keeps disconnecting to my bank account. We've had a few technical issues with that. It can be very time consuming and frustrating especially since I am extremely busy already. I also have to confirm purchases from months prior and that can take a long time! When I confirm those purchases it is usually 30+ transactions and at that point I don't even remember all of them so it takes a while for me to locate receipts. I really dislike that too. I wish it were less expensive for us a small business owner as well.

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi Emily! We're thrilled to hear that we have been able to take one more thing off your plate. We have also shared your feedback with your team! A member of our Client Success team would also love to connect with you regarding your pain points. We will be reaching out via email shortly!

• Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 20/2/2019

Outsourcing to Bench was a Gamechanger

As a small business we're constantly prioritizing big time spends and deciding what's worth us outsourcing and spending money on rather than time. Bench was one that, as soon as we were set up and going with them, we've never looked back. It is not cheap. But it's worth it for us, no question about it!

Pros

We've been using Bench for a few years now and absolutely love it. It can be basically as hand's off as you want. We get an email once a month when they're working on our books, sometimes an extra contact here and there if they provide other documentation throughout the year. And we have our CPA and Bench people in touch with each other which is even more off our plate. As small business owners, bookkeeping used to take a ton of our time, and now it's a breeze. And logging into our account we can look around at where our money is going with a quick glance

Cons

I admit we haven't done a ton of digging around in the actual software - our typical use is them contacting us with any categorization questions once a month (and after a couple years there are hardly ever any). I do wish (or can not find how) we could see how much money we're paying/spending on a particular item. So, say, I want to see how much we're spending on just Facebook ads. What I can do is search for "facebook" (and I can specifically search within whatever time period I want, like Q4 2018 or January 2017), but it won't automatically give me a sum of all of those expenses. I CAN see a summary of expenses by category, but by "line item" (like "Facebook" or "AWS") would be even more helpful.

Tony
  • Industry: Executive Office

Reviewed on 8/9/2020

Best Bookkeeper there is!

Bench always delivers above and beyond and i love their service.

Pros

Bench is an amazing product that is in the cloud. I love that i can access my books from anywhere on the go and get a snapshot of how the company is doing week to week.

Cons

There are no cons at this point. I wish they started an accounting arm that tied to bench since their product is so awesome!

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi Tony! Thanks so much for the lovely words! We have a network of CPA's that we can refer to our clients. They are trained on our platform, and work really well with our service! If you're interested, let your bookkeeping team know, and they can guide you with next steps. All the best!

• Used for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 9/2/2021

Good start, low customization

Overall, I still recommend Bench if you are starting out and a small business under $1 Million in sales. However, as you grow, I would recommend switching to Quickbooks.

Pros

Prior to Bench, we used Quickbooks, and it was lifesaver! We had no idea how to use Quickbooks for bookkeeping and Bench made it easy for us. There was low setup involved and their dashboard was amazing.

Cons

As our company grew, we needed more information in our financial statements. At the time, there was low customization with Bench, and we couldn't add or change things in regards to our Profit and Loss statement. Also, at the time, they only did cash based accounting.

Response from Bench Accounting

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and feedback. We are constantly looking to improve our service, and listening to your feedback is hugely important to us!

Replied 2/3/2021
Susan
  • Industry: Consumer Services
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 29/4/2019

Great bookkeeping company

Overall Bench has saved me time with preparing all bank reconciliations and year end tax preparation. It's also a stress relief that it's done thoroughly and properly. It's not just one person being accountable for my bookkeeping needs but the company stands behind it.

Pros

I like the ease of having my bookkeeping done on a timely basis and not having to think about it until I get a message to review the month. I can then easily go in and make notes of any changes to be made or answer their questions to me. The customer service is excellent as well. They integrate with my payroll company too which saves time.

Cons

They don't integrate with my Customer Management System and they don't use QuickBooks which I also use. I process invoices through my CMS which also provides my scheduling, customer profiles, employee payroll reports, etc. I would love it if Bench would integrate their system to it so I can better track invoices. Instead I have to do that through QuickBooks but am only using a small portion of what QB offers since Bench does my bank reconciliation and they don't use QB. So I'm still paying for QB for this part of what I need. I have a daily service company and I process client credit cards daily in addition to tracking some clients that still write checks and a few who pay via ACH. I do that within QB. At this point I'm not aware of a better way if I want to continue using Bench for bookkeeping.

• Industry: Public Relations & Communications

Reviewed on 20/10/2020

The Back Pocket Tool That Solved My Bookkeeping Blindspot

Overall, I find Bench.co to be an accessible, easy-to-use, game-changing bookkeeping tool and resource for entrepreneurs & SMEs. The team is efficient, friendly, patient, and thorough (even when I had an adverse reaction to tackling my stuck-point when it comes to bookkeeping and I managed to even annoy myself I was treated kindly, a currency I don't take lightly, especially this year). I even got a goodie from a referral. It felt awesome to be rewarded!

Pros

We all know that transitioning from the "idea" stage of a side gig to a real independent consultancy can be tricky. Without the right mentorship or support for small businesses, many are under the impression they don't need a bookkeeper. If I had known then what I know now, it could have saved me thousands of dollars and time which is priceless to time-scarce bootstrappers with multiple streams of income. I also like that Bench.co works closely with FreshBooks so when I need help I hear from both teams when needed. It's not just the AI in software, it's the EQ and human relationships that make it all come together. Bench.com are definitely real humans which I loved!

Cons

A real struggle bootstrappers have is time. Therefore, it was a near emotional crisis to embrace I had to go into my documents like a surgeon to know every weird detail of each expense which is time-consuming as the names may slightly differ from the actual purchase.

Response from Bench Accounting

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! We really appreciate it.

• Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 16/6/2020

AMT Bench Review

Bench allows us to accurately forecast our cashflow with ease.

Pros

Right from the beginning Bench made everything extremely easy. My bookeeping is now completely hands-off. Our bookkeeper is always very easy to reach if we have questions and learned our business practices extremely fast.

Cons

I wish I could combined the income statement and other reports to stretch over different years. For instance, if we could view December 2020 and January 2021 in one report instead of having to do the math that would be fantastic.

Reasons for Switching to Bench

Bench is much easier to use than quickbooks.
Davis
  • Industry: Restaurants

Reviewed on 27/9/2023

Worst Service

We hired Bench to do some simple bank statement sync entries for the previous 6 months. They charged my credit card 1 day after signing the agreement. They never did a single entry when I say a single entry not 1.I call and talk to [sensitive content hidden] and he says they need documentation from my merchant account to begin work. I am like dude all i need is my bank account entries mapped to the chart of accounts. He says they can't start without the merchant documentation.I tell him since they haven't started please issue a refund and I will get the work done somewhere else.Now, I get directed to [sensitive content hidden] (Client Success team) about the refund on Aug 4, 2023. She responds on Sept 26, 2023. Sorry I was out sick . Here is her response to my refund request: To answer your question "Have I refunded the account" , there has been no refunds processed. The reason this has occurred is Bench is a stand-ready service (similar to Netflix). What that means is we do not process refunds for previous months of service; whether you have used the service or not.NEEDLESS TO SAY I AM IN THE PROCESS OF DISPUTING WITH THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY NOW THE $1200 THEY CHARGED ME!!!DON'T GET SCAMMED BY THIS COMPANY.

Pros

I don't like anything about bench. I can't say it enough time they are horrible

Cons

This place is a COMPLETE RIP OFF. I hope potential customers check these reviews before purchasing from them

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi Davis. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We're concerned to hear about some of your frustrations and would love the opportunity to connect with you to discuss this further. We have passed this review to the Client Success team for further review.

Replied 6/10/2023

Reviewed on 28/4/2022

Very Happy With BENCH

Easy Way To Stay On Top Of My Business, Taxes & Reports.

Pros

Very Easy To Use. Has many features & functionality.

Cons

I can't think of any. Very thorough for my particular needs.

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi Daniel! Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a glowing review!
We are excited to continue providing you the support you need so can continue to grow your business!

Replied 5/5/2022

Reviewed on 27/4/2018

RUN FAR FAR AWAY!

Pros

Nothing food to say honestly. Never got it off the ground. When I asked for a refund it was a hassle

Cons

If you look around and have your ducks in a row you will find these people are price gouging businesses and their pricing tactics are horribly unfair to the prospective customer. My best advice is RUN FAR FAR AWAY!

Response from Bench Accounting

Hi George,
I'm really sorry that your initial Onboarding experience didn't align with your expectations, and that you weren't able to experience our ongoing monthly service. We strive for clear and upfront pricing, which is why we have fixed pricing packages based on monthly expenses and add-ons. We are proud of the value we provide our clients as America's largest bookkeeping service. We do not price match with other businesses nor do we heavily discount our catch-up service. While we can't give you back your time, you have been fully refunded. We also have taken your feedback to our team to help ensure that we provide a consistent Onboarding experience and prevent situations like yours in the future. If there's more we can do to assist you, Sarah from our Client Care team is happy to speak with you further.

Replied 13/6/2018
Brenda
  • Industry: Biotechnology

Reviewed on 25/8/2020

Bench is making my life easier!

Pros

This is the easiest bookkeeping software I've ever come across. I've been a freelance art director for many years, and have used Quickbooks, Less Accounting, and Freshbooks. With each of those, I was reminded that I'm not a bookkeeper and usually ended up messing up my books somehow.

In contrast, the Bench interface is really straight forward and simple to understand, it is easy to use, and the team is really responsive. The absolute best part is having a team of bookkeepers who know what they're doing, who take care of it all for me! They reach out if there are questions, and I can check in anytime I like. I now have confidence that my books are correct, and I have more time to focus on my business.

Cons

So far, I've found no cons to using Bench. I only wish I would have done it sooner!

Response from Bench Accounting

Better late than never, Brenda! We're so thrilled to hear that we are able to support you and your business. Thanks for sharing!

• Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 29/4/2019

Must Have for Small Business Owner

What I love is that I don't have to enter a thing! Doing the books was not only frustrating, but also time consuming. Having Bench on my side means I can focus on building and growing my business, knowing that the data that drives my decisions is solid!

Pros

Bench isn't a software. It's a team of people USING a dedicated software platform to help you manage your books. This has made all the difference for me in my business. Other accounting programs didn't teach me how to manage my books or read my monthly reports. My dedicated Bench bookkeeper answers my questions, provides me resources and is a partner in helping me understand my business finances to make better decisions.

If you are a small business owner who is great with customers, but bad with books...this is your solution. Stop trying to figure it all out yourself. Call Bench and get a dedicated human to help you out! You won't be disappointed!

Cons

After being on such robust software platform, I miss some of the bells and whistles those packages came with. But, Bench doesn't need all that. It's intuitive and focuses on the financial reports you need to make the best decisions for your business. You may have to look outside the platform to track some of your KPI's.

Ashley
  • Industry: Motion Pictures & Film

Reviewed on 18/8/2020

Bench allowed me to go back to focusing on running my business

Pros

The support team is really helpful and are quick to respond. They’ve allowed me to focus on running a business and no longer have to focus on the accounting portions of my business.

Cons

The only thing I don’t like is the bank integrations. They don’t have all the banks or even if tech companies like cash app or venmo.

Response from Bench Accounting

Thanks, Ashley for sharing!