Trello Reviews

About Trello

Trello is a visual collaboration tool for planning tasks and projects. While commonly used by agile software development teams, the solution is also used in other departments such as marketing, sales, support and HR. The...

Browse Trello Reviews

23,178 of 23,178 reviews
Danny
Danny

Reviewed on 24/7/2023

Scalable and flexible project planning and task management software.

This is software that we use every single day. I also use Trello in a professional capacity. It is easy to get up and running, and easy to get clients onboarded with it as well.

Pros

We love how flexible Trello is. We have separate boards for different projects and even for our internal team management and admin tasks like accounting and HR. There is no "right way" to set up Trello, which means you can mold it to your own needs.

Cons

Over the years, they've included less and less in the free version, but if you're running a business, the pricing is fair and scalable to pay for it.

Basecamp and ClickUp

Reasons for Choosing Trello

Asana seemed like it was more geared toward larger teams and just simply wasn't as intuitive to get in and set it up.

Reasons for Switching to Trello

Basecamp didn't have a freemium model. You get a free trial, then must pay to continue using. Trello lets you use the free version perpetually until you grow into paying for it. ClickUp seemed way to robust and monolithic for our needs. Trello was much simpler to get up and running.
Tushar

Reviewed on 20/5/2024

All in one solution for Task Management and Project management

I would definitely recommend this software to everyone who manages the Tasks and multiple Projects.

Pros

It provides tons of features like adding member to cards, defining the due dates for orders, custom button to trigger the actions.

Cons

There is no major cons i felt till now, as it runs flawlessly.

Derrick

Reviewed on 13/5/2024

Task Management Solution

Pros

I can create a board for a project, make lists for different stages like "To Do," "Doing," and "Done," and move tasks between them as I work on them. It's really straightforward and keeps everything in one place.

Cons

The free version has some limitations, like how many power-ups you can use and the size limit for file attachments. Also, for more complex projects, it may not have all the features I need.

Top Trello Alternatives

mbuso
mbuso

Reviewed on 21/3/2024

Trello is the epitome of a user-friendly tool for managing your projects.

Overally, I highly regard Trello for its intuitive interface, flexible functionality and robust collaboration features. More, so its ease of use, accessibility and effectiveness in enhancing productivity and teamwork makes it a product I would readily recommend to anyone who needs to get started

Pros

Promotes teamwork through its collaboration tools and it is mostly free. Additionally, its Kanban boards can be employed as a receptacle for many people's responsibilities, allowing you to view every action they complete on just one board.

Cons

The free version is somewhat limited however it can be upgraded. Also even the upgraded version has some limitations in dealing with advanced automated tasks that I handle

Christie
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 22/5/2024

Perfect for workflows

Trello has worked very well for us and we continue to use it on a daily basis.

Pros

We use Trello to help stay in touch with our new members and guide them to their next steps. It is easy to set up a board and share it across your organization.

Cons

For other projects, I wish there was a sort of time tracking feature to manage our resources

Matthew

Reviewed on 9/5/2024

Quick, Easy and Custom

Pros

Ease of use to set up and get running quickly. Unlike competitors the straight forward system works to its advantage to get running, but the custome add ons let you take it to next levels.

Cons

Cards can get crowded sometimes, more customization in removing fields would be great.

Christian

Reviewed on 23/5/2024

Simplifying Complex Projects

Pros

The ability to create boards for different projects, and within those boards, to have lists and cards, makes organizing tasks incredibly straightforward.

Cons

Its limitations in the free version, especially for larger teams. The restrictions on boards, cards, and attachments can be frustrating when managing complex projects without upgrading to a paid plan.

Allyson

Reviewed on 18/5/2024

Managing Workflows with Trello

Pros

I used it to organize a marketing campaign by creating columns for each stage and easily moving tasks between them, keeping everything on track.

Cons

Its limited offline use. When I had no internet, I couldn't update or view my boards, which was frustrating.

Isabel

Reviewed on 30/5/2024

Great tool for small teams

It is a great tool for organizing your day, especially managing multiple projects and tasks. It is quite inexpensive and way better than keeping random documents and checklists.

Pros

It is easy to use and to set up, and great for small teams and startups. It is flexible so it can go beyond task management. I like setting up everything with my preferences, colors, and notifications.

Cons

Calendar management and Gantt charts are not its forté. I would limit the use to task management, and project management, but would recommend staying away from anything close to dates and calendars. There are better tools for that.

Zachary
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 30/5/2024

Good For Managing Workflow

Pros

Overall easy to use and gives a good visual representation of project workflow.

Cons

Has a lot of features hidden behind paywalls so it can be confusing to expand it to do what you need it to do.

Reviewed on 20/6/2019

Trello For A Small Marketing Agency

We use Trello for project management at a small advertising/marketing ageny.

Pros

The ease of use - the whole process of making cards and boards is very intuitive and user friendly.

Cons

The only thing I didn't like about the software was the lack of creating dependency on other cards - IE if there is a campaign that needs to be set up, but first a graphic designer needs to create a design, there isn't a great way to automate the campaign creation card to be assigned when the designer has completed their card. Trello has checklists, tagging, etc. that can be used to overcome this, but it's not as smooth as it could be.

Wrike

Reasons for Choosing Trello

We switched to Trello from ActiveCollab because we found that ActiveCollab worked really great when we were working with a few clients with larger projects, but when we had more clients/more projects it seemed cluttered.

ActiveCollab

Reasons for Switching to Trello

We liked that Trello was easy to use and had an intuitive design/UX. We also liked that Trello made it easy to include clients/partners in the board if needed.
Clay
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 19/8/2019

One word: Simple.

I use Trello to organizing my bugs and features. Its easy to put the most important things on the most important list, and put the most important card at the top of the list. This gives me clear direction. And I have access to Trello on my phone or any computer, so I can add cards no matter where I am when i think of something that needs added. I used to keep track of these things using an actual bug tracking software, but it just took too many steps to do the same thing I am doing with Trello. The best thing about Trello, it can be used for so many purposes, so once you get used to the software and create an account, you can easily just create another board for project management, feature requests, and just a plain old to-do list.

Pros

I love how simple it is. We use kanban boards at work through Microsoft TFS, but the complexity kills the mojo a bit. I use Trello as my bug tracker and development pipeline since I am just a single developer working on my projects, and it works perfect for that. Trello follows the KISS method (Keep It Simple Stupid), I can tell! Just create a board, add a list, and add cards. Very easy, very simple, and very customizable.

Cons

I wish there was a better search feature. When I search for text, I wish it would show me on the board where the result is... maybe when I click the result and scrolls to show me the card, so I can then drag it to another list if I want. Right now the search result show me the card and hide all the others, but by doing that I cant drag to reorder it.

YouTrack and Asana

Reasons for Choosing Trello

You Track is actually pretty good software, but as a sole developer, the simplicity in trello won out. In one click, I can add a bug/feature, whereas with YouTrack, it took several clicks to pick the type, severity, category, tags, etc. You track might be better for bigger teams, but even then, Trello has the tools to scale up as well.

YouTrack

Reasons for Switching to Trello

Free is a great price, so that is hard to beat. Overall, it's just the most simple and easy to use kanban style board out there. Asana looks like a great tool as well and has more features, but sometimes less features is best.
Amanda
Amanda

Reviewed on 24/9/2019

Perfect for the Visual Planner

I use Trello mostly for planning out my content on my blog and my content for social media. It has been a great place for me to make lists of ideas and brainstorm. I have also used Trello with collaborative groups, which has been really great and easy to use. I integrate everything into my Google Calendar so that I don't end up missing any scheduled tasks I need to complete.

Pros

I like that Trello is a planning system that works well for someone inclined to be more visual. Each category can have a series of cards below it for each individual item within the category. I love that I can add a link, image or color to each card to make it stand out and organize it even more. I also love that each board can have be categorized into various areas of my life. For example, I have a boards from anything to planning out my blog, to activities to do with the kids to brainstorming ideas for future work opportunities. I love that I can easily move the cards around and re-categorize them once they are done. Another amazing feature is that you can add these cards to a Google Calendar, which brings everything together for me and keeps me super organized.

Cons

I wish there were more features available and a little bit more customization within each card itself. This program also requires a little bit of a learning curve to find where all the features and add-ons for each card are in the menu.

Asana

Reasons for Switching to Trello

I liked the visual appeal of Trello more and I liked being able to use Google Calendar and Google Drive with the platform.
  • Industry: Publishing

Reviewed on 18/11/2019

Great Tool for Staying on Track

It's a great tool. The paradigm of board / list / card is easy to follow and simple to teach to even the most technophobic user.

Pros

Trello's "board / list / card" format makes it great for sharing tasks and passing them over to other departments to track production flow. Our company produces upwards of 200 new products per year so the production details are passed between departments and handed-off with ease with this tool.

Cons

The Free Tier versus the Business Tier is a big jump. There's very little room to tiptoe into the commercial version of the tool. The Business version is expensive for large organizations. That being said, the free tier does everything we need it to do. The biggest downside of this system is that you can potentially back up the system by downloading json files, but there is NO TOOL to restore lost data! One would have to manually re-enter every card and every detail in the system which would be a disaster. They really do need to focus on their import/export abilities which are currently completely nonexistent.

Reasons for Choosing Trello

Asana wasn't quite what we needed for our particular requirements, and Trello was very very easy to adapt to our needs.

Asana

Reasons for Switching to Trello

A department head had previous experience with Trello and was convinced it was the perfect tool for our needs. They were right.
Lee
Lee
  • Industry: Building Materials
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 12/12/2019

Great Software for Small Teams

It is great for small teams that aren't strictly held to a standard for regular sprint cycles. If you want a quick SCRUM or KANBAN experience for a hobby or small project it is perfect. If you're looking to manage a large scale development project, it is not scalable.

Pros

It's very easy to use and extremely flexible for many styles of project management. Using it on several of my side projects not related to the core of my development role, I have been able to easily keep track of progress and manage the workflow for a small team and small projects. The plugins were fun to use as well. I really liked the "aging cards" effect for cards that haven't moved through the workflow fast enough.

Cons

As a developer on many projects, Trello became cumbersome when we needed to scale and manage multiple projects. I wanted to, but the costs and features seemed to limit the scope of what we could do with various agile teams on numerous projects. I think it would have worked, but our contractors were looking for something more along the lines of JIRA for software development project management. We never got to try out multiple features or plugins with Trello as a whole. I did get to use it to manage my tasks related to JIRA issues, which was okay, but I eventually opted for tasks in JIRA.

In short, it is hard to clearly define sprints and tasks for those sprints without having to repeatedly create new labels or new boards to separate sprints.

Jira and Asana

Reasons for Choosing Trello

We needed a collaborative way to assign tasks and monitor the movement of those tasks from inception to completion.

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Trello

We chose Trello initially for ease of use and flexibility. We were unaware of the limitation of scale that eventually came from using it on large scale productions.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 11/1/2020

Great Way to keep track of projects in a virtual team

Like any tool, the crux of the matter is wether you can get your team to adopt it and use it, rather than just keep plowing along with email. But my experience has been that the visual way that you can get a lot of information represented with one glance and the flexibility of how you do this, combined with the notifications (email, computer, mobile apps) makes it far superior to email and my team has realized this.

Pros

This visual way this represents information and the flexibility in how this information is represented on the 'board' and within each 'card' makes this an invaluable tool for our virtual team.
I like most that this software gives you a visual representation of your work. You can see at a glance where things are at. We use it for client projects with multiple milestones to see where we are in each of the cases. The "cards" let you add all types of information in a facebook like feed: documents, photos and scans, notes, you can have discussions here. You can also add deadlines to a card, which will remind you at the set time on your desktop or phone. (apps for all major platforms are available). Notifications also get sent to your email if you so desire.

I also really like that once you have written a checklist, and you create a new card you can easily use the former checklist as a template for the new card. This means we can make our SOP's into checklists and maintain these so all people who work on a project use the same standardized measurements of the progress on a project.

Cons

The way usernames are created seems a bit random. For example my colleage, lets call him "Frank Michaels" gets a username assigned that looks like this @frankmich2453 - when I want to address him (tag him) in a conversation to ensure he gets an altert that this is something he needs to look at, this weird, random username gets used. Its not really an issue with functionality as much as aestetics and defintely not a deal breaker.

Reasons for Choosing Trello

Basecamp is a great product but the pricing options for Trello are better (free options are available) and (not sure why) adoption has worked better, eventhough I like the aestitics of Basecamp better, but visual representaiton through these 'cards' is really well implemented and helps many people understand infomraiton quicker.

Maszni
Maszni

Reviewed on 22/3/2021

Software to managing simple task and project

Our department really has a very good experience working with Trello and we think this is the best software to handling our daily repetitive task effectively.

Pros

Trello is the easiest and simplest project management software thus it is very suitable in managing a simple and basic project and task. The board card for the task can be labelled for its progress so i can track my task progress easily by visual. The ability to integrate it with other software like Google Drive help in sharing files in the software.

Cons

I don't really like the reminder as it constantly sending notifications to my email and it is very annoying and keeping my inbox full. Assigning task and project ownership is not as easy as it should be because when i am trying to tagging my colleague to the task, their name won't appear and need to use their nickname for their name to appear.

Nolan

Reviewed on 13/8/2021

Trello Review

As mentioned above, my team can't do our tasks until the previous team has completed theirs (data management & order writing). Trello is my most-used software, we use it across my entire POD, and across each division as well. It helps make sure that nothing slips between the cracks and that other teams aren't being held up unnecessarily.

Pros

Trello has become instrumental to my team's success whilst working in a remote environment. The way my different teams work with each other is similar to different cogs in a machine - each person has to do their task before the next team can start their work. My favourite thing about using Trello in our everyday is that you can create boards, lists etc. that are customizable. The Tagging feature is by far my favourite thing because you can let coworkers know in real-time when my piece of the puzzle is ready for them. Being able to integrate other programs into Trello (Dropbox, Google drive etc.) is a close second favourite feature!

Cons

I haven't done a deep dive to see what causes this, but I get logged out of Trello all the time and have to sign in again. Could be a setting on my end and have nothing to do with the software though!

Jeremy

Reviewed on 26/9/2022

Trello is Simple and Great

I have used Jira on teams of 1 to 30 and find it is a great solution for many different projects. I've also used other project management solutions and find that unless your project really needs built-in SCRUM features or other more nitty-gritty project management solutions Trello is a great package and is always my go-to to start-off a project (and often use to completion!)

Pros

Trello is the go-to software for teams looking to utilize a "lite" package. Although it doesn't have all of the scrum capabilities of Atlasian's other software, like Jira, it packs its own punch in a compact and easy to use package.

Cons

As mentioned previously, some more built-in features for individual task progress tracking would be great. Other cons or missing features are made-up for in Atlasian's other software Jira.

Jira, Milanote, monday.com and Notion

Reasons for Choosing Trello

I made the switch from Milanote to Trello because Trello has many more built-in features that make it easy to track a projects progress, create tasks, and assign tasks. It's much easier to use as a project management solution. Milanote is great for a global web-based moodboard and works well along Trello, but it is not a better project management solution by any means. Trello is far more superior!

Milanote

Reasons for Switching to Trello

Compared to Jira, Monday.com, and Notion, Trello had everything I wanted and nothing more. There are also many third-party APIs which integrate Trello into Discord servers and many more people are familiar with Trello than Monday.com or Notion. As for why I keep choosing Trello over Jira? Its relative simplicity and cheaper price makes it worth it for me!
Simon

Reviewed on 12/9/2023

Using Trello for a Digital Agency Start up

Very positive. Easy to use and integrate with other tools through powerups

Pros

This is my Goto for planning projects with my customers. It is zero effort to show a customer how to use it and start collaborating. This in contrast to a tool like Jira is really good for a startup business like mine. I intend to upgrade to premium version but it has been great to get me started.

Cons

Would have liked to be able to trial premium features before making decision. Maybe this is possible but cannot remember.

Zoho Sprints

Cost and easy of use

Jira

Reasons for Switching to Trello

Just easier to use in the main and Jira is more expensive with it
Antonio

Reviewed on 19/10/2018

Great tool that can adapt to many different uses

I've been using Trello personally and at work for over 5 years. We use it to keep track of communication that would otherwise be sent through email, like quote requests, orders, etc. I use it for a personal todo list, as well as a todo list my team can see. I volunteer at a non-profit where we use it to keep track of tasks assigned to different people. I keep up with the comments and status on the iPhone app throughout the day but primarily enter information on my computer. I keep finding new ways in which to use it: putting thoughts together for software I want to develop, collaborating on a project for a client with people inside and outside my company, even sharing a grocery list with my wife.

Pros

Email to card feature is a great way to quickly add cards from a phone while on the go. Custom fields are a great way to make the cards show useful information without having to go into them (requires one person on the board to be a gold member to create them but others can fill them without being gold members.)

Cons

Limited colors of backgrounds (only 9) unless you're a paid/gold member- seems like it would be trivial to give more colors for free. When a custom field is a link, you have to go into the card to click on the link. The worst feature is the search. It is clunky and lacks details. For example, when you've been using Trello for years you may end up with cards that are almost identical every year (for example "pay yearly xyz fee") and the search results don't let you see at a glance which card is for which year without clicking on each one. But when you click on a card and it's not the one you were looking for, you go back to your board and the search disappears so that you have to start the search again.

Lisa
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Reviewed on 8/5/2020

Worth it!

I supervise a team of three HR professionals. Our biggest problem in our work execution was determining who was doing what when. I also needed to be able to follow up with them regarding items that had been referred to them for review, or even issues we discussed during our weekly one-on-one meetings. Through Trello, they are able to work on tasks and I can see their updates in the "activity" portion of the Trello card. I also get weekly and daily updates regarding tasks that are due soon. My team -- which was very skeptical about their ability to use Trello -- is very pleased and have even begun making their own boards! The use of Trello has cut down our meetings from hours to a bi-weekly stand-up call of 15 minutes.

Pros

Trello gives you great planner options on its FREE version, which is a fantastic value. Other products have free versions that are either barely functional, or have a limited time during which you can use the free version. Trello does not.

Cons

Honestly, there is really nothing that I dislike about this software. The only thing that comes close (and is not really a "con") is that there is a slight learning curve in order to leverage many of the extra features. The joy of this is that you can still use Trello with great functionality and never really miss these extra features such as the Butlers or Powerups

Souhil
Souhil
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 17/10/2020

Best List Making Application to Boost your Productivity and Save Time for Personal & Business...

Trello will be always my first choice, and I guess It's one of the Best List Making applications right now with amazing features and Integrations also, I love it when the Trello team is improving it always for us as users and when they give us new tips and tricks.
I have been using it for almost 10 months now and I never had big problems with it and that's why I keep using it daily for my projects, work, and plans. And I had a lot of success getting things done fast and I saved a lot of time because of Trello and I will always recommend it to my friends and family members.

Pros

It's a very helpful tool and I'm able to increase my productivity and track my work, plans, projects daily.
I really like it because they have a Free plan without paying anything and no credit card needed too.
It's one of the best tools right now to get things done and save time and do your "To-Do List" fast.
I can Invite my Virtual Assistant and create a team to help me get things done and they can follow all the tasks without any problem because the simple Boards, Cards, Lists are very organized.
I can create any number of cards I want, and I can create custom buttons that appear right on the back of every card.
I can schedule my work and handle my tasks to save time and to stay organized all the time.
I can change the board Background to any picture I like, for example, motivation background for more productivity.
I can favorite my boards to find them very easy, and I can search any board if I want in the search box.
In addition, I can see any closed boards and check them again one by one if I want.
I like also, the Automation Tips and how you can Turn your Trello boards into an automation machine with a few clicks by creating simple rules.
I can add some fun stuff to my Boards by adding some cool and funny Stickers and they offer the option to add some custom stickers too and I can add a Template for easy use.
Trello Support team is one of the best and they reply fast. also, inside the Trello website, you can find a lot of tips and step by step guide with examples too.

Cons

Sometimes It's very hard to see some cards because the Boards get bigger and bigger and they can add for example Horizontal pages, for example, page1/page2/page3...etc
They can add a better option to communicate between team members like live chat or other messaging options in Boards.
I don't like the "More from Atlassian" section in Trello because It's like they are promoting some tools and for me I don't really need them.
They can add more Templates to their Templates section.
When I allow desktop notifications sometimes, I don't get them in time, and sometimes I don't get them at all.
They can add more Types to the "Team Type" section in Invite > create team.
They can add more apps to Trello app Integrations, not just the popular apps on the internet.
I can't change the size of the stickers in the cards, and they don't have a lot of stickers.

Manny
  • Industry: Security & Investigations

Reviewed on 25/3/2022

My go-to tool for simple, yet powerful task management

This used to be our teams' primary Scrum tool, and everyone was basically happy with it. When we moved to other software, we were wowed by all the built-in features of the new software at first, but eventually got dismayed by how clunky it was. Trello is the opposite. Simple, quick, responsive exactly where it counts. There are still some large areas where it could be improved, but it is still my personal go-to for task management.

Pros

The best part about Trello is how responsive it is, and across all platforms. It has the snappiest and fastest task sorting speed among all the task management software I've used and still hasn't been beat. It doesn't matter if it's on the desktop app, the web app, or the mobile app. They all work lightning-quick and all update between each other within seconds. This sounds like a simple quality-of-life feature, but this responsiveness is absolutely crucial when it comes to dumping tasks into a list, sorting them between lists, and reordering by priority - which is, to me, the core of task management.

Cons

I don't like how rigid the sizes of lists are. Sometimes I only want 2 or 3 lists filling my screen. Sometimes I want all my lists on the screen. The only way to do this is by installing some questionable plugins that may or may not be paid products, when this feature feels like it should be built-in.

Navigating between boards is not as responsive or simple as navigating between cards and between lists. Moving any items between boards is a bit of a nightmare, and I wish I could somehow drag-and-drop things between boards the same way I can do with everything else in the software.

The UI of everything other than the lists and cards is also unintuitive. There are buttons scattered everywhere across the top of the screen, and it's not clear why they are there nor what they do.

Searching for cards and list could be simplified. There are a few search bars scattered throughout the various menus and I can never remember which one is going to let me search for the card/list I'm actually after.

Nathan
Nathan

Reviewed on 22/10/2018

The good, the not so good and all of Trello

Pros

Trello is an easy to use to-do list/project management app. After being introduced to it 3 years ago, its the one todo list app that I keep coming back to.

1) The intuitive design of Trello makes it easy to get started. Its functions just work, whether its drag and drop, moving cards across lists, or setting up boards, you can easily get started using Trello in minutes. Trello's simplicity aids in its overall feel and use.
2) Trello's cards & lists allow you to really go in depth with project planning. While other platforms may have to do lists of sorts, with Trello's you get a checklist for each card, which can be a task with sub tasks. The use of the boards and lists also helps for those that need deep project management features
3) Trello has some hidden gems such as free downloadable boards, a Calendar view for lists vs using the standard board view, Power Ups and easy integration with email, shortcuts and more. You can use Trello to manage projects in many different ways. I like to think of it as a Swiss Army knife for Project Management.
4) Its mostly free. Its hard to really beat free stuff and Trello is right up there. Most features can be used without paying so thats really great.

Cons

My only gripes with Trello are:
1) The lack of new features in a while. It feels like the only progress of Trello is coming from Power Ups.
2) I tend to whine a lot about mobile app support and while I feel the current versions are sufficient, but the lack of a dedicated Apple Watch app for example is a bummer. To Do list apps like Things have apps for every platform including Apple Watch.
3) Trello is great for smaller teams but if you have a large team collaborating on Trello can be cumbersome.