Trello Reviews

About Trello

Trello is a visual collaboration tool for planning tasks and projects. While commonly used by agile software development teams, the solution is also used in other departments such as marketing, sales, support and HR. The...

Browse Trello Reviews

23,179 of 23,179 reviews
Danny
Danny

Reviewed on 24/7/2023

Scalable and flexible project planning and task management software.

This is software that we use every single day. I also use Trello in a professional capacity. It is easy to get up and running, and easy to get clients onboarded with it as well.

Pros

We love how flexible Trello is. We have separate boards for different projects and even for our internal team management and admin tasks like accounting and HR. There is no "right way" to set up Trello, which means you can mold it to your own needs.

Cons

Over the years, they've included less and less in the free version, but if you're running a business, the pricing is fair and scalable to pay for it.

Basecamp and ClickUp

Reasons for Choosing Trello

Asana seemed like it was more geared toward larger teams and just simply wasn't as intuitive to get in and set it up.

Reasons for Switching to Trello

Basecamp didn't have a freemium model. You get a free trial, then must pay to continue using. Trello lets you use the free version perpetually until you grow into paying for it. ClickUp seemed way to robust and monolithic for our needs. Trello was much simpler to get up and running.
Antonio
Antonio

Reviewed on 25/11/2020

The road to your personal successes, all on a slight of hand!

Exceptional, being a company involved in financial services we need to accomplish tasks and assignments in the fastest and more efficient possible way. Trello makes this way easier.

Pros

Trello is an incredibly user friendly software, it's easy to use and you can quickly get familiar with the dashboard.

For people who, like me, tend to organize things by "visual schemes" (eg. colors, lines ecc) trello is perfect!
The possibility of creating different colored labels depending on the priority of a certain task will make the dashboard easy to access and fast to share.

About sharing, the task assignment is really intuitive and catchy, you can either drag and drop the members of your team on a certain task or, for those who prefer more formal things, you can invite them by email to join a certain task.

Mobile and Desktop interfaces are very stable, fast and fluid. Me and my team never came accross any critrical bug.

Cons

The thing I absolutely liked the least of the software is the fact that it's not possible to upload a custom picture for the background on Lite accounts but, of course, one does not buy trello just to get his custom background.
So to sum up, no critical cons.

Reasons for Switching to Trello

Asana presented some major bugs and system instability and as far as we needed 10 people to access an assignment dashboard as fast as possible we could not rely on nothing less than Trello.
Rakib

Reviewed on 16/5/2024

A Visual Productivity Powerhouse.

Trello's Power-Ups really set it apart. The ability to integrate with tools like Slack, Google Drive, and Salesforce makes it a versatile central hub. And the Butler automation feature is incredibly powerful for streamlining repetitive tasks. With all the features, I can boost my productivity to the max level and enjoy the benifits of it.

Pros

Trello has been a visual productivity powerhouse for our team. The intuitive Kanban-style boards make it easy to see project progress at a glance, and the drag-and-drop interface is a breeze to use. The ability to add checklists, due dates, and attachments to cards keeps everything organized.

Cons

The free version has some limitations on attachment sizes and integrations that can be frustrating. And the mobile app, while functional, isn't quite as smooth as the desktop experience.

Top Trello Alternatives

Derrick

Reviewed on 13/5/2024

Task Management Solution

Pros

I can create a board for a project, make lists for different stages like "To Do," "Doing," and "Done," and move tasks between them as I work on them. It's really straightforward and keeps everything in one place.

Cons

The free version has some limitations, like how many power-ups you can use and the size limit for file attachments. Also, for more complex projects, it may not have all the features I need.

Jonathan

Reviewed on 29/3/2024

A Card Above The Rest

Makes managing multiple projects with moving parts and more than one team member involved easy to manage. It's also free, which is great for any startup trying to get organized with a small or large remote or office team.

Pros

I enjoy the card based system Trello makes use of. The WYSWYG design function is beneficial to even novice users - you can move things how you see fit without major processes involved. I also enjoy the customizability. You can use Trello anyway you want. If you have a chaotic but effective process, you can make it your own. If you're extremely organized - it's perfect for that, too.

Cons

Slight learning curve because it's so open. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty useful. Also, their sale to Atlassian kind of mucked things up. I didn't like Jira when originally searching for an Asana replacement. The sale also messed up customer support for a bit.

Jira , Airtable , monday.com and Podio

Reasons for Choosing Trello

Asana was nice from an individual summary standpoint, but became a bit convoluted when you needed to see things from a macro level. I found it very effective if I was a cog in the wheel, but if I was managing the wheel, I felt a little lost.

Reasons for Switching to Trello

Ease of use, customizability, WSYWYG interface and actionable notifications based on customization.

Reviewed on 30/5/2024

Trello is my favorite

Pros

I like that it is super easy to keep myself organized. I have lots of different kinds of projects that have different kinds of deliverables, but Trello is flexible enough for me to deal with all of them the way I want to.

Cons

It's frustrating that some of the features that I would consider important are not available in the lower tiers. Since it's just me, I don't need the team related tools, so I wish there was a way to choose the features of each plan more surgically.

Tushar

Reviewed on 20/5/2024

All in one solution for Task Management and Project management

I would definitely recommend this software to everyone who manages the Tasks and multiple Projects.

Pros

It provides tons of features like adding member to cards, defining the due dates for orders, custom button to trigger the actions.

Cons

There is no major cons i felt till now, as it runs flawlessly.

Christie
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 22/5/2024

Perfect for workflows

Trello has worked very well for us and we continue to use it on a daily basis.

Pros

We use Trello to help stay in touch with our new members and guide them to their next steps. It is easy to set up a board and share it across your organization.

Cons

For other projects, I wish there was a sort of time tracking feature to manage our resources

Matthew
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 9/5/2024

Quick, Easy and Custom

Pros

Ease of use to set up and get running quickly. Unlike competitors the straight forward system works to its advantage to get running, but the custome add ons let you take it to next levels.

Cons

Cards can get crowded sometimes, more customization in removing fields would be great.

Allyson

Reviewed on 18/5/2024

Managing Workflows with Trello

Pros

I used it to organize a marketing campaign by creating columns for each stage and easily moving tasks between them, keeping everything on track.

Cons

Its limited offline use. When I had no internet, I couldn't update or view my boards, which was frustrating.

Alfredo
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 11/11/2019

Improve productivity of your team

One of the main mistakes in teams is lack of comunication. With Trello all your team will know what taks are prioritary, steps to acomplish them and who is the responsible of do it.
As a manager you get a simple view of the task you delegate.
As an employee you get a list of task and status of this tasks.

Pros

It's 100% free.
You can design the "canvas" as you decided. Personalize it, and make it usefull for you and your team.

Cons

When you start using a new app, some people refuse the change. This app needs the compromise of all your team, because it's not usefull if some people decide not to use it.

Todoist

Reasons for Choosing Trello

Trello is designed to manage task. Excel is not.

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Trello

It's free and full customizable.
  • Industry: Publishing

Reviewed on 18/11/2019

Great Tool for Staying on Track

It's a great tool. The paradigm of board / list / card is easy to follow and simple to teach to even the most technophobic user.

Pros

Trello's "board / list / card" format makes it great for sharing tasks and passing them over to other departments to track production flow. Our company produces upwards of 200 new products per year so the production details are passed between departments and handed-off with ease with this tool.

Cons

The Free Tier versus the Business Tier is a big jump. There's very little room to tiptoe into the commercial version of the tool. The Business version is expensive for large organizations. That being said, the free tier does everything we need it to do. The biggest downside of this system is that you can potentially back up the system by downloading json files, but there is NO TOOL to restore lost data! One would have to manually re-enter every card and every detail in the system which would be a disaster. They really do need to focus on their import/export abilities which are currently completely nonexistent.

Basecamp

Reasons for Choosing Trello

Asana wasn't quite what we needed for our particular requirements, and Trello was very very easy to adapt to our needs.

Reasons for Switching to Trello

A department head had previous experience with Trello and was convinced it was the perfect tool for our needs. They were right.
Laura
Laura
  • Industry: Photography

Reviewed on 4/3/2020

From sceptic to devotee!

I use Trello for a wide range of things in my business. Monthly tasks, Sales tracking, production of my YouTube channel, and on and on.

Pros

I was hearing things about Trello for a long time before I decided to take the plunge. When I did, I haven't looked back. Trello is, for me, where all of the moving parts of my business come together. It's the easiest way to delegate a clear set of tasks to virtual freelancers as well. If you want your business to grow faster without micro-management then this is absolutely the tool for you!

Cons

I have run into trello difficulties when starting some new tasks off in there. I would love some kind of clever template option that gives me alternative ways to use trello depending on what I want to track and manage. Sales funnels are very different to running the production of my YouTube Channel for instance. I've had to do some trial and error which took a bit of time up.

Reasons for Switching to Trello

I used Asana when on a collaborative project with another group of businesses. One of the businesses use Asana and I found it clunky and counter-intuitive to use. It's like Nikon Vs Canon. You're either Trello or your Asana I think.
Maria

Reviewed on 18/8/2020

Great product for the price

Overall, I'd recommend this product to anyone who is looking to get started on simple task tracking, especially within a team. Hoping the product will release more features, like the ones mentioned above.

Pros

I love Trello's clean and customizable UI. It makes it easy for me to track tasks and to add as many columns to indicate a task's status as needed.

Cons

Lack of features that could immensely improve the product, such as time tracking for individual projects and increased ability to collaborate with other users. Some features I wish it included are: calendar view to see deadlines for specific tasks, and dates added to comments so updates can be tracked.

monday.com and Asana

Reasons for Choosing Trello

Todoist only allows for basic task tracking before you have to pay. Trello has more features available and a more customizable platform.

Todoist

Reasons for Switching to Trello

Other members on my team had been using Trello, which makes for easier collaboration if I adopted it as well. I tried the free trial for monday.com and found it confusing to learn, and I had used Asana at a prior company and wasn't thrilled about using it again.
Dushyant
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 9/2/2021

Easy to use, one size fits all

The most important part of a productivity tool is that it should help you save time. Trello lets you do that, by focusing on core functionalities in the simplest way possible, without going out of its way to overburden you with features. The UI, while slightly old, is blazing fast, minimalist and intuitive. It can be used by organizations to manage team projects, and individuals for their own tasks management.

Pros

- Extremely intuitive and easy to use
- Blazing fast
- Notifications are clear and easy to customize
- Rich set of templates
- Easy adding/managing members
- Easy to manage multiple boards/organizations

Cons

- UI is a lil outdated - can be done better
- Powerups are pretty limited in the free version - could be upgraded
- Note taking feature could be implemented

Todoist , Jira , Any.do , ClickUp and Notion

Reasons for Choosing Trello

Ease of use. Minimalism. More extensive free version(sharing with team on free plan)

ClickUp
Curry
  • Industry: Media Production

Reviewed on 24/2/2021

Simplest project management software I've ever used

From business use to personal, moving files, storing attachments, making checklists, dialoguing with co-workers, and managing all projects in a visually pleasing style - Trello has it all, and it's much better than all of the competitors.

Pros

The seamless integration of features. It's so easy to switch between boards, clearly see all projects, and the timeline of all upcoming deadlines thanks to the wonderful (and rare) calendar feature. I wish I had that now! It makes creating something like a video production calendar very quick and easy to follow. The cards themselves are extremely customizable; checklists, attachments, comments, and more could not be easier to add and track. For someone visually oriented, this is an absolute must. Another great feature, there's a free version! Most other management softwares don't have that.

Cons

The archive feature is my main concern. I wish there was a better way of removing projects, other than "archiving" them. Sometimes I need to access these cards and there's not really a simple way to find them. Because of this, my workaround was to have a "completed" board that I would put all finished cards in. Annoying at first, but because the site is so great, I didn't mind after a while. I also wish you could color code things and create labels like in Monday.com.

Jesse

Reviewed on 16/8/2022

An exception agile development management tool

Our experience with Trello comes from managing multiple, enterprise class interface and application design projects using Trello.

Pros

The ability to quickly setup new workspaces, create lanes (lists), tasks and assign them to the appropriate team member makes using Trello a time saver.
You can also customize Boards with different backgrounds, etc to differentiate them from other projects, which is nice.

Being able to list the work needing to be done (backlog), the stages of development or production it will go through (lists / lanes), assign team members to specific tasks and attach images, docs, etc. at the task level creates a highly collaborative and feature rich product from a very simple interface.

Cons

Honestly, there's nothing that I would change at this point. It works flawlessly and efficiently. Our teams love it.

Jira and monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Trello

Monday is cumbersome and the interface isn't as intuitive as Trello. Monday more about lists and collab than moving a projects tasks through production stages and managing task completion, delivery, etc.

monday.com

Reasons for Switching to Trello

The feature set of Trello matched exactly what we were looking for and replaced a discontinued product (AgileZen) that we were using regularly.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Reviewed on 8/8/2018

advantages of the trello

Trello is a project management tool that makes collaboration simple and, I would say, even fun. The reality is that it serves almost everything, whether you are organizing projects at work, household chores, trips or anything else. Individual cards can contain task lists, images, attachments, delivery dates, color labels and comments from other people who share the board with you. You can have as many boards as you want, use one for "Homework", for example, and another for "World domination plans".
It is likely that you have already realized the potential. The Trello cards are like small post-its on a cork board but in digital format, so you can look at them, share them or add a reminder. You can even create cards via mail.

Pros

What I like most about this software is the way in which we can organize our meetings, pending issues, follow-ups, meetings and, above all, place the status that is basically required to make progress. The options and colors where each person responsible for activity is identified helps you to close the points faster. Trello works very well in my case because I tend to think very visually, so images and color labels work better with my brain than just a text. Although I am a big fan of Evernote to manage a multitude of information, lately I have found myself returning to individual lists written on paper. Trello is a breakthrough of that, it is one of those few applications that achieves a balance between a simple and elegant interface while including very powerful and flexible features. No compliments, however. Let me show you how I and other Trello users are using it as a productivity method.

Cons

What I do not like are the rows one side of the other, where we put the information, it seems very close to one another and for me personally I do not like the appearance, very neutral. The issue is that it is forcing a program to use it for something that it is not. You can also use the notebook to write a novel, but it is not the best tool for it. To organize trips there are tropocientas webs and apps that give a thousand kicks to trello, with suggestions of places, automatic geolocalization, organization by calendar, etc etc etc..To write novels the same, there are webs and applications focused on it, that you hierarchize the information much better, write down ideas, alternative plots, different paths of a story, etc ... come on, what a novel requires, with trello you will organize a micro story as much.

Trello is focused on organizing projects in which many people have their roles, and show the states of those projects.

Everything else, I seem to want to give it a use that is not yours.

Reviewed on 16/9/2018

Amazing functionality, straight up no fuss. hit the ground running with no sweat loss

My tasks lists have never been so easy to identify and manage, especially visually. My projects are all there as boards and my timelines are right up there in gannt form. I dont work well with traditional task lists, as they all look the same, but I have created different backrounds for various projects, my tasks and move cards as necessary. Closest thing to having pen and paper, well even better now!

Pros

I love these browser-based applications.
Setup up time, nill (just the signing up for an account).
Installation time, nill (if you choose to run it within your browser - most people do), or if you like to be special, install the app (now available for your mac, pc and of course portable devices - just remember you will usually find less functionality within most apps).
Configuration is quick and easy with an easy to follow interface. If you have never used this before, not a problem, just feel your way around and you will be cooking in no time.
Getting started, well you just need to grasp the concept. Start with creating a list (a heading or topic) then start to add cards to the list. The beauty lays in having multiple lists and if you are a visual, like me, you can click, grab, then drag and drop your cards around the various lists. You can move your cards around, into any order you wish, just to start with. The hidden beauty lays beneath the surface, where you can add labels, checklists, due dates, assign off to others, attached files, set reminders, just to name a few things.
Think of these as sticky notes on steroids! The collaboration functionality of Trello is amazing also, allowing you to share and work with anyone from anywhere in the world, have them quickly up and running or multiple people and as one person moves a card, others will see it move in real time (almost) on their screens.
Want more? There are also add on's that create gannt charts +

Cons

hard to say, this is a fantastic and polished platform. I cant think of anything negative to be honest.

Reviewed on 19/9/2019

Ultimate multi-team work and work-flow tracking

We started out using trello on their free plan for a single project as an experiment.

This is how we've evaluated ticketing and tracking systems in past, but trello became so popular so quickly in 6 months we used it almost everywhere.

It's UX is so well-designed that it enhanced our work productivity more than custom-reinforcement tools that had been built for other tracking systems. It works great for individual and team projects, and allows both mixing of teams and seperate teams as case may be. It has good security and notification, and it very reasonably priced. It has so many integrations (they have different word for integrations, i forget it something like buttons), there are constantly more things we could be doing with it. Butler plugin is particularly useful- again this does things that we have had to automate internally with other work tracking systems.

The API we've started using extensively in the past 6 months, it's much easier than many vendors APIs and we've used it for everything from quick regular reports to automated notification, to management-like functions. Again some of these things we've done in other systems, but the card concepts are so well implemented they just work better and are more clearly to implement and have the eventual implementation very closely match the vision.

Pros

Beyond easy to use- it's actually fun to use, people want to move work through.
By embracing kanban it also encourages constant workflow.
The integrations it has are numerous and awesome.
The API is very flexiable and we use it extensively.

Cons

Not too much.
There are some annoyances like it doesn't support all of Markdown, which makes it harder to format things.
It's a bit tricky to apply same operation to multiple cards, without using the API.
This creates extra work, but once you know it you can frequently control it.
Mostly rare annonyances, some feature that isn't there yet.

Luis

Reviewed on 20/1/2021

Usage of TRELLO during a Project implementation

Very useful during a software project implementation with Agile methodology. I even use this SW in my daily personal activities.

Pros

I really like this products because is:
* Easy to use
* PORTABLE (you can use and modify your dashboard on any mobile device)
* Can activate power up (other functionalities to your dashboard)
* Easy to share
* Fast to build
* Easy to make following to the people
* Can create you own reports
* Easy to read
* Easy to clean the main Dashboard (taks already finished)

Cons

Add more templates and let to build our own.
Will be great to let include video functionalities.
Integration with Microsoft Project will be desirable.

monday.com

Cost and benefits

Cost & benefits & functionality
Lina

Reviewed on 20/8/2021

Great software for remote working

Overall experience with Trello is very positive. It is the perfect tool to work remotely and as a freelancer I can collaborate with different clients on the same programme, just switching through different boards. It has great functionalities and even a lot more potential that I need, so it is good to know that there's room for me to expand my workflow even further. There are some minor inconveniences, but overall I am a very happy user.

Pros

I like that it is free. As a freelancer, I am usually the one that is completing the tasks and not managing boards, therefore, most of the times that is all I need. My clients use the paid version, which provides more versatility and bigger file uploads. I like that paid and free can still collaborate with no disruptions. This is a perfect product for remote work collaboration. I think the options to colour code the tasks is great, I use it to mark work in progress and completed work. I am also a very visual person, so cover photos are perfect. I create artwork and it is so much easier to find the task I am looking for by the image, not by the title.

Cons

I think notification panel could be improved. I don't really like how its laid out, it's quite overwhelming. Also, there is no option to delete a board , only to archive it. Sometimes you need to just delete things and that should be an option. But the archive button is my biggest pet peeve. If you accidentally press archive, it does not ask you are you sure Y/N? It just goes away. And I can never find the archive easily, every time I have to google where it is. It wastes my time, and it could just be fixed by a 'are you sure you want to archive this' pop-up.

Arun Sarathy
Arun Sarathy

Reviewed on 23/3/2022

King of all Kanban Board Tools

Pros

The power of Trello is in its simplicity and ease of use. Its interface seems light-weight right out of the box. I have used several similar tools later on (after finding / falling in love with Trello - first love, obviously) like Clickup, Taskade and a few others but I find myself always falling back to Trello for its intuitive workflow and simple-to-use features. If you are a solo creator like me, who wants to throw all the ideas into a board, track them with a simple flow like - 'do, doing, done', then Trello is all you need. Go for it, and thank me later!

Cons

Sometimes, they keep changing their approach to their business which I found weird. But that's just me, may be. For example, they used to have Trello Gold for approximately $5 or so but they evolved and brought in different pricing tiers. I miss that but I also understand business models evolve with time. I also didn't like that many power-ups are just trials. Some useful ones cannot be used just easily. It asks for money to expand our experience with Trello. I believe its marketplace needs to evolve too by letting in more free power-ups.

Yusif
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Reviewed on 21/4/2023

My experience

Overall, I had a positive experience using Trello for my task and project management needs. The platform was easy to use, and the Kanban-style boards made it simple to visualize my tasks and track their progress. I also appreciated the ability to add team members to boards and assign tasks to specific users, which helped keep everyone on the same page.However, there were a few areas where I felt that Trello could be improved. For example, I would have liked to see more advanced reporting options, as well as better functionality in the free version of the platform. Additionally, while the mobile app was generally reliable, there were occasional issues that impacted my ability to use Trello on the go.Despite these issues, I still found Trello to be a valuable tool for managing my tasks and projects, and I would recommend it to others looking for a flexible and user-friendly task management platform.

Pros

I find Trello's interface to be straightforward and intuitive, with easy-to-use features and a clean design. I appreciate the ability to create custom boards and workflows to manage my tasks and projects, and the Power-Ups are extremely useful for enhancing my productivity.Overall, I find Trello to be a reliable and user-friendly platform for managing tasks and projects, and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a versatile and customizable project management tool.

Cons

I found the platform to be a very useful tool for managing my tasks and projects. However, there were a few aspects of the platform that I found to be less than ideal.One area that I found frustrating was the lack of advanced reporting features. While Trello offers some basic reporting options, I would have appreciated more in-depth reporting capabilities, such as custom reports or the ability to view task metrics across multiple boards. This would have allowed me to more easily track my progress and make informed decisions about project management.Finally, I found the mobile app to be somewhat unreliable at times. While it generally worked well, there were occasional crashes and slow loading times that made it difficult to use on the go. This was a minor inconvenience, but it did impact my overall experience with the platform.

said

Reviewed on 16/2/2024

A great tool for organizing projects and achieving productivity

An easy and organized experience for managing my projects and tasks I was able to create boards containing lists and cards representing tasks provide me with customization and easy collaboration with colleagues using the simple user interface makes it easy for you to organize and follow up on work and I found the details of my project neat and clear

Pros

Ease of Use A simple and intuitive user interface makes it easy to organize projects and tasks , Collaboration Trello allows users to collaborate online and share projects effectively Organizing Cards you can effectively organize tasks using cards and lists Flexibility in customization you can customize the board, cards and lists according to your needs , Availability across device Trello can be accessed through the website or mobile apps, allowing you to manage projects anytime, anywhere

Cons

Free plan limitations There may be some limitations in services and features with a free subscription Complex project details for large and complex projects organizatin may be less effective compared to advanced project management tools Reliant on lnternet connection which can be inconvenient if the connection is lost , lack of advanced features compared to some other project management tools, trello may lack som advanced features data security for projects that handle sensitive information users may need to ensure the security policies followed by trello