About POS Nation for Retail

POS Nation is built to support retailers, including specialty businesses such as tobacco and vape shops, liquor, wine and beer stores, lawn and garden centers, hardware stores, convenience stores, groceries and markets. The...

4.8

Browse POS Nation for Retail Reviews

Reviewed on 14/12/2020

Tech Support

CAP POS is great to use but I notice they are few little things as end user myself, we need tech support to help us get though some of glitch & add-on products to the POS sooner & less wait time.
I am always please & special thanks to [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] , he have always help solve all issue I encounter in just one call, his knowledge of this software is second to none.

Pros

We have been using Cap software for many years & I found it's easy to use, it have many options available that business manager would love to explore it for their business. I hope CAP will post more video in how to explore all the great feature in it.

Cons

I can't find much of what I like least about this software but I do hope the wait time for tech support is shorter, retail business POS can't be down for too long customers have least patient when system have a glitch and tech support can't be reach right away.

Response from POS Nation

Paul,

Thank you for your feedback regarding both the software and our technical support team. We want to ensure that we are decreasing our wait time and you are receiving the help you need in a timely manner. Please give our customer success team at call if you find that the wait time has become too extensive. You can reach us at 877-727-3548 Option 2. Thank you again for your kind words and we look forward to working with you in the future!

Replied 18/12/2020
Justin
  • Industry: Furniture

Reviewed on 10/2/2020

Amazing Product!!

This system and the staff have been extremely beneficial to our business, here in Canada. They helped through the purchasing, setting up, and operation of the system without rushing me and only stopping after I was satisfied. Before POS Nation, we were using an old analog cash register that only had new items and used items as categories (the only new items we carry are mattresses), leaving no information as to what we sell in what quantities or values. Now, we can see how many of what we sell and when. This is very important to us and will be a very good aid for as to what donations we will be seeking more or less of.

Pros

The system's best feature is its customizability. Being a used furniture store that also deals with antiques, appliances, collectibles, tools, and pretty much everything except for clothing, we needed a system that we could adjust on the go since our inventory is always changing. We've been using this system for about 3 months now and even today, I'm still making adjustments multiple times a week. My volunteers caught on to its use very quickly, even considering the changes that I keep making to it.

Cons

The two things that I don't like is the inability to remove payment options buttons, such as EBT or Gift Card, as we don't use those methods and I would like to have a 3rd column of TS Lookup. The first on the left brings up the three on the right. I wish it could do sub-categories. For example, if we sell a mattress I'd like another row to pop up and ask if it's new or used and the third to then ask which size, material, etc.

Response from POS Nation

We appreciate your feedback, Justin. Thanks for being a POS Nation customer!

Replied 23/2/2020
Mandeep

Reviewed on 8/6/2021

Terrible team, horrific software and non-reliable hardware!

Pros

Great liars and getting customers onboard.

Cons

Terrible team, horrific software and non-reliable hardware! The system was sold on a lie. The features discussed during phone calls and via email did not match the actual system. They tried blaming the initial issues on the credit processing company but later learned that their software was not compatible when accepting EBT cash. Then the software upgrade (May 29, 2021) began showing the same error and froze both of my POS systems on numerous occasions. Instead of resolving the issue brought on by their upgrade, they asked me sign up for monthly service or pay $239 dollars.

Their keyboard has a mind of it’s on. At times the CAP lock is activated or the number lock. Their scanners are worthless. I'm being charged $200+ dollars for a wireless scanner that is available on Amazon for $100 dollars. Scanner reviews on Amazon clearly show that no one invested any time conducting a thorough research.

Lastly, it’s missing the automated decimal point and the change due does not disappear automatically when initiating a new transaction.

Instead of helping resolve their software/hardware issues I received an email from Will that they are cancelling my software service.

I emailed my concerns to [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], but yet to receive any response.

Do you want to start your day asking yourself if your POS system is going to work or not?

Top POS Nation for Retail Alternatives

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Lightspeed Retail

Square Point of Sale

Diana

Reviewed on 11/12/2020

CAP is perfect for managing a retail shop with lots of product and customers

For us, the inventory control is the most valuable. We have a bead shop with hundreds of small items that would be impossible to manage without CAP. We know what's selling, who is buying and when to reorder or put on sale to move out. We know what our overall financial position is constantly.

Pros

Back office is incredible - so nice to have access to everything that we do from purchasing, receiving, tagging, selling, reordering, customer history, discounts, special sales - I could go on forever. I can't imagine what more could be needed.

Cons

We started using CAP when we first set up our business over 20 years ago and have enjoyed the upgrades over the years. Now with the incredible support we are getting today it is wonderful. The program is sophisticated and with so many options it is so much easier to utilize more features with the new support available. I wish we had access to that years ago. I spent a lot of time with trial and error trying to utilize different features but now I can just pick up the phone and within a very short period of time, I've got my questions answered or problems solved!

Response from POS Nation

Diana,

POS Nation is lucky to have such great customers, like yourself. We cannot thank you enough for sharing your positive experience with our company! We are so happy to hear that you love the Back Office feature and the upgrades over the years. We are excited to continue working with you throughout the years to come!

Replied 16/12/2020
Eva

Reviewed on 6/10/2021

Intuitive, comprehensive, easy to learn, with a great team behind the product to offer help!

5 stars from day one!

Pros

The whole system rocks. It’s easy to learn, the features are exactly what I need - I don’t think there is a single feature I would add. Checking customers out is easy, credit card processing is seamless, and the features, like the hot keys, discounts, and ability to examine the data and make decisions based on real time information is key to my profitability.

Cons

The only thing that I would alter is the search feature when looking up an item - the “search” button is above the entry field - when intuitively - most people go to their right where the return button normally is - it’s a small thing - but annoying when you’re in a hurry. When programming the hot “add” button - which intuitively you’d think would add a hot key - adds a “set” - you have to use the “change” button to add a hot key to a “set” - that is also a bit weird and not as easy to grasp when you’re starting out. It’s not a deal breaker in any way shape or form - as the hot keys themselves are an awesome feature - it’s just two little things that I find a bit annoying.

Response from POS Nation

Reviews like this really make our team proud. Thank you so much for your kind words, and for being a valued POS Nation customer!

Replied 22/10/2021
Karen

Reviewed on 11/12/2020

Good value for small business

Cap is very helpful, solves problems readily, have great features, like off site back up, and is easy to use and change as needed.

Pros

This software is easy to use, has a lot of features, and can be used in a limited way then expanded asfeatures become needed. Ability to sell misc. items not in inventory.

Cons

There is a lot of features, that I am not familiar with and take time to learn, but as a small business it is hard to find that time. Would like to be able to amend a sale after the fact(ie change a visa charge to a mater card without reringing, or unvoid a sale )

Response from POS Nation

Karen,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our POS System and service. We pride ourselves on delivering service our customers can brag about, and it is great to know that we succeeded with you! We greatly appreciate your business. In regards to amending the sale after the fact, feel free to call our technical support team at 704-405-5089 and they can help walk you through this process. Thank you again and we look forward to working with you!

Replied 15/12/2020
Phil
  • Industry: Farming

Reviewed on 23/3/2019

Love our POS System

We are a Christmas Tree Farm with a fairly large gift shop. We are only open seasonally and POS Nation is willing to work with us during the time we are open. This system has allowed us to have total control of the trees in the field, the number of trees sold, and aided us in knowing when to close the harvest. Our entire gift shop is now in the data base which allows for quick and accurate checking-out of the customers. We have also integrated our CC processing in with the POS system and everything works great! I can't say enough good about our experience with POS Nation.

Pros

How easy it was to enter the entire inventory into the system. The speed with which you can check out a customer! And the ability to run easy accurate reports at the end of the day, week or year!

Cons

I can't think of anything I don't like about the software. Anytime I have had a problem, the system had what I needed, I just didn't know how to use it. Customer support has always solved my problems and taught me what we needed to know. Or better yet, how to use the system.

Response from POS Nation

Thanks for the review, Phil! We're glad you're enjoying the software and find it easy to use.

Replied 17/10/2019
Carly
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

By Far Best Customer Support

I did months & months of research on many (20+) different POS systems before deciding to finally make the switch to POS Nation (CRE). We have used 4 other systems in the past 37 years and I can already tell you POS Nation FAR exceeds any customer service and technical support we have ever received. It was a rocky transition (as expected) but support team and many others at POS Nation were extremely patient & supportive throughout the entire transition. If you are in need of a new POS system, I highly recommend considering POS Nation.

Pros

Customer & technical support have been top notch. We are a business that has used about 8 different POS companies over the last 37 years & have worked with numerous "support" staff from each company. Although we anticipated a rough transition period (as it turned out to be), the staff at POS Nation was there every step of the way. Specifically, customer support were all extremely patient & supportive throughout the month+ long transition.

Cons

A lot of the reports that are available are completely useless, whereas some reports that you would think are completely necessary for a POS system are not available... the most difficulty we have with the lack of reports involves Customer reports. One other CON to CRE is the Quickbooks Sales Pass. It is not as seamless as one would think when you are told it is "fully integrated with Quickbooks."

Kenneth
  • Industry: Wine & Spirits

Reviewed on 21/10/2020

Simplicity

Been using over 15 years, had some growing pains in first few years but it has been pretty rock solid for last 8-10 years. So easy to use and train new employees quickly. Every other POS I have looked at is overcomplicated and hard to use and follow.

Pros

Very simple presentation at POS homesceen in selling mode, simple operation for scanning, lookup and paying. Software has the few features that I need and so many others that I will never use.

Cons

Inventory sales history by item is not precise enough, needs to break down actual sales from transfers and damages. including transfers really can skew the actual sales history. Also spot checking Inventory is very confusing to teach and execute properly.

Response from POS Nation

Kenneth,

POS Nation is lucky to have such great customers, like yourself. We cannot thank you enough for sharing your positive experience with our company! We appreciate your 15 years of loyalty and thankful to have you as a customer.

Replied 26/10/2020
Joseph L

Reviewed on 15/12/2020

Best POS for Retail/Tavern Liquor Business

Pros

Great product. Easy installation and start up. Only POS to provide solution for hybrid business. We are a restaurant/Tavern/retail wine shop that uses the robust tag/label system as well as inside dining/bar business. Service from CAP has been great. Very responsive and good follow up.

Cons

Only Con we experienced was the interface to Quickbooks at startup. Our distributor didn’t provide instruction prior to install. We had Quickbooks operational prior to CAP which required a rebuild of Quickbooks after the fact. CAP customer support went above and beyond to help us.

Response from POS Nation

Joseph,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our company and our customer support. We pride ourselves on delivering service our customers can brag about, and it is great to know that we succeeded with you! We greatly appreciate your business.

Replied 22/12/2020
Betsy

Reviewed on 12/2/2021

Would recommend POS Nation

I know that when I call I always have someone who can guide me and answer questions. That is very much appreciated. Our Customer Success Manager, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has been wonderful through this experience. He has been kind and patient. We really appreciate the fact POS Nation is a US-based company and everyone we speak to is here in the US.

Pros

All of our needs have been met with this pos system. We appreciate that the learning curve for the software was easy and the process of integrating with our existing business was efficient.

Cons

I would like to see a printer that prints tags for outside use, such as a tree tag. At the moment we are printing onto a smaller tag and sticking them to the tree tags.

Gordon

Great system for the Money

I have spent the most part of a year researching most if not all the different POS systems out there. Though there are other systems that would fit my business model, the down fall is a lot of them are cloud base. With the lack of internet available in Alaska I need a system that I could use without total reliance on the internet. POS Nation was the best application for my needs. I was able to purchase everything I needed to operate my business, I 'm currently operating two stations with a third acting as my storage and back up system that was purchased locally for that purpose. Take the time needed to properly setup this system, the data you can get form this software will greatly assist you in making decisions in maintaining and growing your business.

Pros

CRE is a good program for the kind of business that I run. I recently purchased a grocery/liquor store which has a RV park and small hotel that I have been able to manage through the software. It was a lot of work setting up inventory, and incorporating the RV/Hotel to make it work with the system but with due diligence and with the great support POS provides has made managing my business far easier then it would be without it.

Cons

​I have had only minor issues with the hardware for example the key boards that are sent with the system are not worth the box that the were sent in had to replace them with in a month of receiving them. The keys stick and get stuck and not everything can be done efficiently through a touch screen. The back office program is a great program with good reportage, but working with purchase orders need some work. The creation of a PO doesn't work with real world situations. Once generated the can't be adjusted when faced with stock outs or quantity changes. So I don't us it to generate my orders with vendors, more so for receiving my orders.
Again these are just minor issues. Again the reportage you get form the system is very informative and allows you to efficiently manage your day to day, monthly and yearly reportage.

Reviewed on 18/12/2020

My business backbone

Overall good experience. I depend on it as if it were one of my best employees.

Pros

This is the only POS I have ever used. It is the first and only one this family business has ever used. The point of sale works well as we have a large inventory for a small business. I have trained six different people to use it and have done well. The ability to generate reports related to sales for tax purposes and managing inventory as well as managing A/R is wonderful.

Cons

We have had some anomalies over the years that can not be explained. We have several accounts for individuals that generate a repeating sale each time I do monthly statements. I will name them ghost acct and discard them each month. Occasionally this will happen with an inventory item. The amount in stock seems to change by itself

Response from POS Nation

Michael,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our POS System. We pride ourselves on delivering service our customers can brag about, and it is great to know that we succeeded with you! We are happy to hear that six different individuals were easily trained on the system and also that our reporting functions are just what you need. We greatly appreciate your business.

Replied 29/12/2020
Cynthia

Reviewed on 12/3/2019

POS Nation tops the list

POS Nation offers great service. From the Rep in sales to the tech guys. They have always been polite, and quick with service. My only real complaint is that when I have an urgent call because a customer is waiting, I can never get through to someone right away. It can take some time for someone to get back with me. But when they do, it is usually handled.

Pros

I like POS Nation. The Cash Register Express software is pretty good but it needs more flexibility. Need easier flexibility to run comparison reports for year to year comparisons, comparing products, etc.

Cons

Cash Register Express needs more flexibility with all reports. Also we are a small business. Should have the ability to turn off requirements to enter passwords to do end of day and do backups.

Otto
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 15/3/2019

Broad range, excellent service.

POS Nation has some of the best customer service I've come across. 24 Hour (I think anyway) technicians available, and they even assigned one person to be our contact guy for setting up the new system. He was an invaluable resource when we were just getting started. While not every technician is familiar with every POS System, they are knowledgeable enough to help solve most minor issues, or set up a call-back appointment for the next day with another agent. Could not be happier with POS Nation and their support.

Pros

I am using RPower POS System through POS Nation. This software is very in depth, almost overwhelmingly so. There is next to nothing you can't do through it and as far as POS Systems I've used throughout my career, is easily the most broad and intricate software I've ever seen. RPower comes highly recommended especially if you have a complex or large menu.

Cons

It's range of features and capability are so immense that at times it seems almost intimidating. I have been using it for nearly 4 months now and I'm figuring new things out every day. Sometimes confusing to do what one would imagine to be a simple task, until you figure out all of its various quirks and commands. If you have a small or very simple menu, I would suggest a smaller and simpler POS System.

Payal

Reviewed on 19/10/2020

CAP Software is good.

Overall, great product.

Pros

Cap software easy to manage and operate.

Cons

Support during weekdays and during weekend ( Saturday) has lots of challenges. It’s hard to reach the support time.

Response from POS Nation

Hello Payal,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your honest review! We are very happy to hear that you like the CAP software! We also appreciate your honest feedback on our technical support, which we will use to continue improving our processes. If you have any questions for us, please feel free to email us at [email protected]

Replied 22/10/2020
Nick

Reviewed on 7/11/2020

Best POS For Liquor Store.

Pros

Easy to operate and maintain POS .
[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] are best in team.

Cons

Only future it has to be add like Daily Journal Reports so you can see whole day details.

Response from POS Nation

Nick,

We are so happy to hear that you are enjoying your POS system so far. Thank you for taking time out of your day to share your feedback with us. Please let us know if you need anything in the future!

Replied 9/11/2020
Yaret

Reliable system!

I like the tech support, always available when we need them.

Pros

simple to use, user friendly and easy to train new employees

Cons

I can't put large pictures on the boxes, Wish it would have a full pictures and text on top of the picture.
Online report printing is not available. I can't print daily sales report from my home office.

SHANON
  • Industry: Food Production

Reviewed on 17/3/2019

GREAT PRODUCT AND SERVICE

WE HAVE HAD A GREAT EXPERIENCE WITH THIS COMPANY SINCE WE BOUGHT THE SOFTWARE. IF I EVER HAVE ANY ISSUES, POS ARE ALWAYS THERE TO HELP ME.

Pros

I LIKE THE EASE OF HOW THE SYSTEM WORKS. IM VERY IMPRESSED WITH HOW WE CAN KEEP UP WITH INVENTORY MUCH BETTER THAN BEFORE.

Cons

HONESTLY I HAVE NO DISLIKES WITH THE SOFTWARE

Kim
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Reviewed on 19/11/2020

My Review

The CAP support team are excellent. They are very knowledgeable and willing to assist with every problem that arises.

Pros

I have only been using the POS systems daily for the past 3 1/2 months. Prior to this I used is occasionally when I filled in for a co-worker. I find the Hot Keys to be very beneficial. Also, most of the reports are pretty easy to generate and understand.

Cons

Still learning all the features of the software.

Response from POS Nation

Kim,

Reviews like this really make our team proud. We are so happy to hear that you have found the Hot Keys feature to be very beneficial for you. Thank you so much for your kind words, and for being a valued POS Nation customer!

Replied 23/11/2020
Eric
  • Industry: Music
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 8/7/2020

POS Nation Ain't No POS

We used POS Nation to sell several issues of the magazine from different locations. Paired well with our laptops and made selling very convenient.

Pros

POS nation is a truly complete point of sale system that is super intuitive. A benefit for beginning users to learn the ropes for retail/customer service cash handling.

Cons

After the initial trial period it's rather expensive; costing over $60 a month. With free programs available, that provide the basics, it makes POS Nation a luxury program instead of a necessity.

Response from POS Nation

Hi Eric,
We're happy to hear that you're enjoying your point of sale solution, and we appreciate your feedback. Thank you for being a valued POS Nation customer!

Replied 15/7/2020
Greg
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 6/3/2020

NEW SYSTEM

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] AND THE TEAM OF TECHS ARE EXTREMELY KNOWLEDGEABLE. IT WOULD BE NICE IF THEY WOULD SHOW ME WHAT TO DO INSTEAD OF LOGGING IN TO MY SYSTEM AND DOING IT FOR ME.

Pros

THE FUNCTIONALITY OF THE SYSTEM IS NICE.

Cons

I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO HAVE DAILY EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS WHEN STOCK ITEMS HIT ZERO. THIS IS CRUCIAL TO ANY BUSINESS I WOULD THINK.

Response from POS Nation

We're happy you're enjoying the system's functionality, Greg. Thank you for the feedback!

Replied 12/3/2020
Janice

Reviewed on 27/3/2019

CRE and RPE Review

The sales rep was extremely helpful and always available to answer all questions while evaluating the software. Tech support is overall very good and my recommendation to a new customer is to pay for support.

Pros

Only software that met the needs of my customer allowing for retail and restaurant sales.
Customer owns the software which is what my customer wanted.
Import of inventory was fairly easy and Customer Support was able to import customer basic data.
Staff was able to learn quickly.

Cons

Customer history could not be imported.
Reports could use improvement. Customer reports are available but difficult to learn. My customer has to rely on me to create them, the Advanced reporting is not user friendly. Formatting on the "built" in reports are not customizable unless exported to cvs, excel, etc. and even then, require some technical expertise.

Response from POS Nation

Thank you for the review, Janice!

Replied 12/9/2019
Mitch

Reviewed on 22/6/2017

POS Nation was the best decision I've ever made.

Pros

It helps me run my business! It gives me the information I need to make decisions. I know my best and worst sellers. I know my margins by department. I can run promos to get my customers back in the door.

Reviewed on 6/3/2020

POS Nation Review

pos nation have the best best customer service i have ever see and the tech support is awesome

Pros

how easy to set up the software is easy to learn and operate

Cons

i do not have any fined i do not like least about the software

Response from POS Nation

We're happy to hear about your positive experience, Chris! Thanks for the review.

Replied 12/3/2020