Clover Reviews

3.9

3.9

About Clover

Clover POS is an integrated point-of-sale (POS) system with custom hardware designed for several types of retailers. This POS system is available in both web-based and server-based deployment versions and offers countertop...

3.8
3.3

Browse Clover Reviews

Luis
Luis
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 9/6/2023

Clover Review

Clover is very easy to use, doesn't take much space and it makes paying for merchandise and services fast and easy.

Pros

It's very easy to use, and I love how it accepts so many kinds of credit cards and forms of payments!

Cons

I don't like how sometimes it will take a few tries to read a card, which can make customers desperate and annoyed.

Jodi
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Reviewed on 21/1/2020

Great payment processing device

Clover payment system has been really great for our spa. Really easy to run transactions, reports or refunds. The customer service has been knowledgeable and super friendly when we have had any issues.

Pros

It’s is super easy to take and track transactions. Has report capabilities And many functions. It is super easy to use. I have two different clover devices for different providers and they are all great.

Cons

The software itself is wonderful. The only issue I have is with the flex portable device on/off button. It is on the side and client constantly hit the button when they are picking up to sign for a transaction. The button should be on back underneath where it can’t be accidentally touched.

Reasons for Switching to Clover

Love the functions on the clover and the receipts it prints.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Reviewed on 14/3/2024

The excess fees that Clover charges

I didn't care for the system due to the unfair charges my customers received.

Pros

The ease of use of the online pos systems.

Cons

That they changed my customers extra fees for using a credit or debit card. On top of what I was already paying them monthly.

Stripe

Reasons for Choosing Clover

To find a more reliable solution. For my in person sales and online inventory.

Reasons for Switching to Clover

For the pos systems, and convenience online shopping.

Top Clover Alternatives

Affinity Designer

Square for Restaurants

PayPal Commerce Platform

Alexandra
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 22/12/2023

Cover is easy and simple

Pros

The support is amazing. No question is too simple. They always go above and beyond to help

Cons

Nothing, we have 2 devices to help serve our customers. One that is controlled by an iPad and a hand held mobile one

Katie
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Reviewed on 3/12/2019

Easy to Use and Competitive Rates

Overall, the product is simple enough to use that I am not worried about any of our contracted therapists messing up the process and avoiding taking payments.

Pros

What I like most about Clover is that it can be downloaded on any smart device as app and has an easy to use card chip reader. Our agency wanted a chip reader for extra customer security and Clover offered that option.

Cons

I like least about the software is that is does not capture customer information as simple as their first and last name, but simply has a text box for a description. Our agency uses the device for customer copays for therapy appointments and in the text box I am forced to put the customers last name in order to reconcile payments later.

Reasons for Switching to Clover

The start up costs and credit card processing fees were lower.
Lori
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Reviewed on 2/11/2023

I've tried others. Clover made the cut!!

Almost a year now and I am happy with Clover. I depend on it daily.

Pros

Clover is the easiest to use, most dependable, most reliable POS application out of all I have tried. US based support and competitive pricing.

Cons

They take the fee out after the deposit instead of before like most of the others do.

Yousef
Yousef

Reviewed on 30/11/2023

Horrible!!!! Do not use!!!!

Horrible. Will never use or refer to anyone

Pros

Nothing at all. They shut down my account without any notice.

Cons

Customer service, service itself, sales representative

Reviewed on 13/6/2023

Great for store locations

It was OK but there are better systems out on the market

Pros

It is a great system for a store location. It allows for tipping without our employees having to ask the customer if they wish to leave a tip.

Cons

I found it really difficult to use outside of our store location. We do specialty shows where we sell merchandise and if we didn't have a wifi connection a lot of times we could not get the payment to go through.

Justin

Reviewed on 11/10/2023

Good for small businesses, too complicated for larger establishments

For a small business, it got the job done. It was a clean POS that was easy to navigate, however I don't see it being a viable option for say a restaurant with hundreds of food offerings.

Pros

Clover was easy to use for the novice user, as you could have pictures associated with each product to make it easy to navigate. The platform was very straightforward and there was little opportunity to make mistakes, thus a vital resource for any business needing a portable POS.

Cons

Keeping in mind this was a while ago and changes could have been made since, but we noticed once we expanded the menu options on Clover to include our entire set of offerings, the app began to experience issues with too many options. Sometimes it would freeze, other times certain products couldn't be selected. It was certainly iffy at times.

Abdul
Abdul
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 17/2/2019

Job place made easy

Pros

Its very easy to use. Wonderful camera. It looks like tmwe are using ipad. Fast software. No laggings.

Cons

Order and customers could be bettered prganized by groups.
Some issues with the organizing.

Briana
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 16/1/2020

Overpriced, poor customer service

I wouldn't recommend Clover to any business owner. We tested it out for about a month and are not able to access reports that we need - they disappeared with no notice - and the customer service is horrific. They just keep sending me links to their website, but not helping get the reports. And they are really rude. The reason we decided against Clover is because every little thing you need as a business owner is additional money - to get it to talk to any of your accounting software, to have a mailing list, etc.- and it just doesn't do what you need. You can't have tax included in your price, only add on to it. You can't give a 100% discount on a ticket without it charging tax on the original cost (who charges tax on $0.00?). The iPhone app to see reporting for what's happening when you're away from your business is incredibly clunky. Overall it's a terrible user experience. There are loads of better options out there.

Pros

Honestly, we really didn't like anything about Clover from the start - we hoped we would get used to it + like it, but it's pretty terrible.

Cons

Inability to include tax with the price, poor UX on the mobile dashboard app, terrible customer service, third-party apps to connect to accounting software are expensive and don't always deliver, high price for low value.

Karen

Reviewed on 27/7/2021

Clover is Cumbersome and You Need Third Party Paid Apps to do Basic Functionality

Want to have a seamless point of sale software and this was not it. The approval process was difficult and extensive just to find out they are out of stock of their hardware so I am charged the manual entry rate versus the keyed in rate even thought they are out of stock of Clover Go until and undetermined time.

Pros

I like the Clover Gos swipe and cost per transaction option but it is out of stock for months. I like the dashboard.

Cons

Wanted to import products from another system and tried to match the template provided by Clover to import and never got it in. Plus size of file is limited to 10MB which for the effort I could have keyed in the few items quickly to get to the file limit size. Customer support was painful to interact with and not helpful.

Stripe

Square Point of Sale

Reasons for Switching to Clover

because of the swiping capability which does not exist on Stripe
Luigi
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 26/4/2021

Easy, simple and effective

Very positive. It's ease of use makes it suitable for every demographic and It integrates well with our other systems like Shopify and Shopventory.

Pros

Since this system uses android OS so it follows a familiar mobile OS layout.

The system is extremely easy to use. I repeat, EXTREMELY easy to use. So easy that the boomers in our company did find it too difficult to learn.

It's large buttons and integrated barcode scanner makes transactions quick and smooth.

It integrates with most common applications such as Quickbooks & Shopify.

The option to search for products by typing the name is extremely useful.

As one of our owners put it, "It's pretty hard to make a mistake on it, even for a caveman like me."

Cons

It's certainly not as advanced as other point of sales systems I've used in the past.

Sometimes simple commands are buried in sub folders. For example, if you want to delete an entire order, you are required to push three dots at the top of the order, then select the "delete order" option from a list of commands. While simple is steps, the lack of clarity when while locating the the action can slow you down when you are busy.

A massive con is the that it does not natively support variable priced items by weight. In order to add this as an option, we're required to pay an extra $10 a month.

Something that has also been massively disappointing is that you can not increase the price of an item during the sale. If an item is at a fixed priced, you can not increase the price, you can only reduce the price or provide an item discount. This is a disadvantage if you don't necessarily need an item to be a variable priced item, of if an item is priced incorrectly. It forces you to use the open item option.

Graham

Reviewed on 23/11/2020

Not for Retailers

The problems come with the back office.
The inventory system is basic to say the least, items sold at the till do decrease the totals, but all purchase quatities have to be done manually, you cannot set min and max stock levels, or re-order levels with the bundled system, so re-orders have to have a physical stock check, I am still trying to work out how this saves me time and money.
Clover relies heavily on thrid party APPs, which they absolve themselves of all responsibility in their T's & C's. These Apps are expensive
(The Shopventory APP is £40 Pm +VAT)
The E-Commerce integration does not work.
The Magento integration is for Magento 1m which was made obsolete in June 2018, and is no longer supported.
The Shopify integration does not work either, and for me failed at the first hurdle, (I have now been waiting 14 days for a fix).
I purchased a barcode reader they recommended, not even their support staff could get it to work, I was promised a fix, five months ago.
In my opinon this system out of the box is not for retail, unless you want to see your profits dwindle through the purchase of expensive APP's.
The actual helpdesk staff are very helpful, but they can only do so much.
The actual management are a nightmare to deal with.
I first presented some of these issues within 30 days and was promised a fix, five months later I am being told that even though I registered those issues it will cost me over £1500 to get out of a 48 month contract.

Pros

The till itself is fantastic, it looks ultra sleek and ultra modern, customers love it.
And that is about it

Cons

It was sold to me as a solution to me retail needs it certainly is not

Rachel

Reviewed on 20/7/2021

Too Simple without the Addition of Add-Ons

In our experience, clover has been nothing more than a fancy credit card reader. Our entire company runs through a third party app that manages clover from the other side. The only use clover has become to us is, to accept payment and we are currently looking into changing to a system that better suits our needs.

Pros

The aesthetic of the hardware fits on par with what is trending. The ability to utilize the barcode scanner is also nice.

Cons

In order to run our business effectively we had to download so many third party apps to do what we had been doing for 30 years on an outdated system. It felt like a slap in the face as it was a turning point for us to upgrade all the systems only to find it was nearly useless for what we needed it to continue doing for us.

MicroBiz Cloud POS

Reasons for Choosing Clover

We were running the old versions of Microbiz (not Microbiz Cloud POS.) We were making the change to integrate our brick and mortar into an online store as well and the options were not ideal for staying with Microboz. Our payment processing provider recommended clover so we went with them in order to not have to change our longstanding relationship with the local payment processing company.

Reasons for Switching to Clover

Cost efficiency and apparent easy of use.
Sylvia

Reviewed on 24/2/2017

Clover Pos

From the pos system itself, we are multistore, so that is added complications for the clover system. On the register side, looking up customer names is complicated, you type the last name, but cannot enter the full name or it will not find it, so you enter the last name and have to scroll through the list of lets say 50 last name of smith, takes way to much time, and really difficult on the mini with the small screen. To increase quantity you have to go to another screen and then back again, more time, If one person does a price check by entering an item because a customer wants the total with tax, even though you delete the item, or clear open order, if a second sales person then logs in to check someone out the order still reads with the first person doing the sale even though they logged out. From the dashboard side, no ability to print many things such as transfer slips from HQ to the other 3 stores, once it is transferred it is on the screen until the store accepts the item in, after that the info is gone, and you cannot access for questions, etc. the lack of alphabetical order on many functions, the tax functions, if you use different tax rate for each of our 3 taxing authorities, as we did (and would prefer) say you have 10,000. in sales, 3 tax rates, when they are done separately the total income would then become 30,000.00, so many of the reports are not accurate as they read.

Pros

clover has been making some updates in the months since we have been using them, which have been good and helpful, but much is needed to make it functional for a multistore, without having to pay way to much monthly for apps to do things

Cons

to get even what I would consider basic functions, purchase more apps that would raise the monthly cost out of reach, sometimes the apps will show different figures, when creating an item, for our multistore setting, I can create for all 4 locations at once, with name, label, category, cost, price, but the tax rate, I have to go into a different screen for each location and fix all tax rates, very time consuming

Scott
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Reviewed on 2/6/2017

Clover POS is NOT for retail

We own a boutique where we also offer screen printing and embroidery. The clover system was sold to us as full POS system. Not the case at all. We were all excited to get started with it. It looked modern, cool, and expectations were high. When we tried to ring up our first printing order of more than 100 pieces we found our first issue. The system will not allow sales of items with a quantity of more than 100. Not a good thing when we routinely sale t-shirt orders of more than 100 shirts. We either had to make up multiple skus, which made a receipt look terribly unprofessional or make an invoice on word. Then I wanted to run a report on inventory value. Not possible. You can export a report to excel but good luck with that. My wife and I have both called customer support. We were both told that when enough people complained about the same issue, they may look into a fix. Until then, nothing would change. This was after going through multiple customer service reps who didn't even understand what I was asking for help with. When asked if we could return the 2 POS systems we bought we were literally told "they're yours, you bought them, do what you want with them, you could try selling them on ebay". Needless to say, at this point, POS and Clover have a whole new meaning for us. Definitely not "Point of Sale" or "Lucky Clover". We're currently looking for another option, over a lot of frustration later.

Pros

It looks nice, fairly easy to use. It's really hard for me to think of much good to say about it. When a POS won't run and inventory value report with totals and won't ring up items with quantities over 100, it's hard to find the Pros.

Cons

Won't process quantities over 100. Customer service is horrible. Can't run an inventory value report. Customer service is not knowledgeable at all. Seems anything you need is an add on app that cost you more. Did I say Customer service is horrible...

Phil

Reviewed on 17/6/2022

Could be incredible, but appears to be more geared toward restaurants instead of retail

It's been okay. When something goes wrong, there can be a lot of runaround from different techs. There is a support number that we have to contact for technical issues, a different one for banking issues, and a third for issues with certain settings within the system. It would be helpful if there was one tech support contact instead of three. The main tech support doesn't usually seem to be very knowledgeable, and have to reach out to a specialist to figure out how to help most of the time.

Pros

Clover itself wouldn't be much more than a payment processing system if it wasn't for the many apps that you can add to make it work for your business. The catch is, most of the add on apps cost a monthly fee. The option to have these apps make Clover incredibly customizable to fit exactly what you need for your store. Overall, we still saved money switching to Clover from our previous company.

Cons

The software seems to be geared more toward the restaurant industry. When we got it, we did so because it was supposed to be for all retail. We likely would not have gone this route if we had known what we do now, but we have made it work for a retail setting with the help of certain apps.

Francesco

Reviewed on 6/7/2022

A No-brainer to be your perfect POS

The experience has been easy and helpful. Honestly compared to my last POS my overall stress levels have declined by 99%

Pros

Easy to set up and use, inventory management works very wells

Cons

Wish it integrated better with ecommerce platforms such as Shopify & Magento

Square Point of Sale

Reasons for Choosing Clover

Was outdated; updates no longer supported

Cash Register Express

Reasons for Switching to Clover

Better credit card processing fees
NICHOLE
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Reviewed on 18/5/2021

Easy to use and a lot of features

My overall experience has been good with Clover. They do have a lot of features we love like invoicing clients directly to their email (it does not track your invoices but it has a pay now button where your client can free type their own information and their payment info is directly emailed to the main user). I also like the modern look of the equipment. I wish the banks and clover had a more direct with each other relationship instead of putting me in the middle.

Pros

I like the ease of using Clover. Our office has a clover mini that we pass back and forth to the client and we use the virtual terminal for clients who wish to pay over the phone for their telehealth services. Clover also has an invoicing feature that has helped us greatly during this pandemic.

Cons

The machines are costly and because we are on a contract changing your system as your business changes are not easily done. I am not sure if part of this is my bank but I am currently paying for a clover mini I am unable to transfer or switch. The communication between the bank and clover seems to be convoluted. I would make sure you choose a system that has the opportunity to change before 2 years.

Michelle
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Reviewed on 22/4/2021

Clover is the lead merchant in 2021

I have had an incredibly positive experience with Clover. I have even called their support system before and the representatives were friendly and efficient. I spoke to a live representative rather quickly who was informed and able to help me. I would give this product a 10/10 easily.

Pros

I love the tap feature. During covid, our dental office has tried to take every precaution to limit the spread of covid-19. Clover has a tap feature so that our staff does not have to handle patient's credit cards which limits exposure. Many major debit and credit cards have this feature and users just do not know! Look for the symbol that has 4 lines on your card and try it sometime! It is very fast and effective! We are also able to email or text a receipt (in addition to printing) so that there is less "touching" and passing involved.

Cons

There is truly nothing that I dislike about this software. If I was forced to answer this question, maybe I could say that the swipe option sometimes needs to be run more than once because it does not read the swipe on the first try; however, 99% of cards use the chip insertion feature anyway!

Matt
  • Industry: Restaurants
1.5

Reviewed on 12/5/2016

Reporting inconsistent, support is minimal, labor scheduling is good.

Pros

Homebase app is excellent for labor scheduling. Homebase allows us to add new employees, build their roles and add availability for each employee. Then when our schedule is completed, we can text out each employees individual schedules to their cell phones.

Cons

Downtime is frequent, support is minimal, reporting is inconsistent. Clover is a young and sleek POS, but their hardware is run on wifi and can continuously crash or fail to process tickets from the tablets. I understand that turning tables is faster in theory with electronic cloud based technology, but when a server must stand in front of a table and have difficulty modifying the order because of so many screens to touch through and new screens to load (and buffering is an issue at times), the 'speed' is lost. In addition to hardware issues (printer dying in the middle of dinner rush), the reporting is confusing and not helpful. Where is the daily sales summary? We pay our servers' credit card tips out through net cash sales and there is no way to track this in Clover. We use QuickBooks Online for accounting, and to "reduce data entry" QuickBooks works with Clover through a third party app called CommerceSync, another inconsistent tool. All in all, if you have a problem with anything listed above, and you call for support, you will be greeted with suggestions of other third party apps to buy to fix the problems.. these are not solutions, they are just ways for Clover to make more money.

Chinweikpe
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Reviewed on 1/9/2022

Untrustworthy

Signed up with this company in March this year, what they said is not what they did;

the amount of
hidden fees this company has is truly disturbing,
not to leave out when I complained they
waved off nearly half of what they claimed I owed
them, not to leave out they have an answer for
every discrepancy one can mention.
I told them that I no longer trusted their company
for taking card payments, disconnected them
from taking payments from my bank,
disconnected the machine & went back to
using SUM UP who have no hidden fees & are
actually for businesses not out to daylight
robbery them. I have since spoken to a
number of merchants using clover to take
card payments & they also spoke if being
charged extortionate figures that were not in
the contract, I've told them to use SUM UP or
any other truly no hidden fees company to
take card payments. Since I went back to
using SUM UP my business is thriving again. If
you want a TRULY successful business DO
NOT USE THIS COMPANY TO TAKE CARD
PAYMENTS Clover then asked me for the bank
details of the bank that I was using which they
had no access to & I told them no & that I was
d going to write a review of how much if a
nightmare & a scam I found them to be.

This is the review.

Pros

The cons of using Clover far outweighs the pros, all I recall is what a nightmare the company turned out to be for my business.

Cons

The internet kept on ceasing despite it working perfectly fine for the first month, they I had to keep signing in, & there was nothing wrong with the internet, but that’s not my problem with the company.

Steven

Reviewed on 24/10/2023

My Take on Clover

My overall experience with Clover is very nice and pleasant because I do enjoy using Clover and I am grateful for Clover as part of my life today,

Pros

I do enjoy and I am grateful for Clover. I do because Clover is a nice way to get points and it is a reward system when you go get points, check in, and get deals/promos with restaurants and cafes. I like when you can get the ability to order and pay for your food and drinks.

Cons

I wish for some restaurants to expand and be open to Clover for nice deals, promos, and rewards to give back to customers for sure since at the end of the day, support is the key for support.

Yessenia
  • Industry: Restaurants

Reviewed on 29/10/2018

Excellent POS System for any business!

Overall it is a great pos system!

Pros

When we change to clover, we thought it was going to be difficult for us to learn how to use it. We were wrong it, was really easy to use and install. One of the things I love about it is, that I can add products remotely on the inventory. I can also verify the transaction remotely from my pc or my phone. The customer support is great, they immediately call back when you contact them for any problem you have with the machine, transactions, or any question you have. You can also add more features to your pos because they have a app store, which let's you add online orders, id verification, etc.

Cons

Our business is a grocery store and restaurant, so we have the ebt program for the grocery store. It would be great if the clover machine with detect which items are ebt and which aren't ebt elegible. That way we wouldn't have to do 2 different transactions, because it does take more time for cashiers to charge what the customer is buying.