About Twilio

Twilio is the worlds leading cloud communication platform that enables you to engage customers across channels - SMS, voice, video, email, WhatsApp and more. Pay-as-you-go APIs allow businesses to scale communications reliably.

4.2
4.2

Browse Twilio Reviews

Manuel

Reviewed on 26/4/2022

Amazing programmable number service

We have been able to deploy a whole Marketing Center, phone automation with payments systems. Call recording for training, conferences and waiting lines.

Pros

The service has many good features, the guides are easy to use and you can start deploying from day one. The Studio flow helps a lot if you do not have knowledge of programming, the customer service is also great. There is a lot you can do with Twilio no matter the size of your business.

Cons

It can be overwhelming because the tons of features, is it much better if you at least know for sure what you want to start

CallRail and Plivo

Reasons for Switching to Twilio

Twilio features are great, we also found customer service is much better with twilio
Julien

Reviewed on 27/5/2022

Amazing powers - not for anyone

We did our transfer from Dialpad to Twilio after seeing the price difference + all the missing options (automation and integration) Dialup was missing. We faced a huge issue when we realized we had to code our own phone system to be able to receive or send sms and calls. Happened at a moment where the firm didn't have the time to read the 3000 pages tutorial offered on Twilio. Our transfer made our whole phone system out of service for 3 weeks. We finally found other companies offering what Twilio should offer : a basic interface to the basic needs of a phone number (call + sms). This workaround finally made the deal much less advantageous than expected. We now pay almost the same price as we were paying with Dialpad, for a less powerful interface.. until we have the time to focus on building our own app to use it.

Pros

Twilio can do absolutely everything you need to do with a phone number. Automate, Record, SMS, Call, Chatbot, Integrations, Number verification.

Cons

Very complex to setup. You absolutely NEED to know how to code. No easy user software available to simply use your number from day 1.

Dialpad and CallHippo

Reasons for Choosing Twilio

For all the added functionalities offered on Twilio (automation + integrations) and the much lower cost.

Dialpad

Ricardo
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 18/11/2022

It is Okay

Pros

It is good for taking calls and very easy to use and understand. It is less complicated than the other software I used to use back then.

Cons

There are a few minor issues that affect this system I’m not sure exactly why but sometimes when I refresh the page it comes up with a error message and I had to sign back in.

Top Twilio Alternatives

Kristen

Reviewed on 8/9/2022

Twilio has become a backbone for my work structure! Couldn’t live without it.

Fantastic! I have really become to rely on it. I do wish that building some of the things inside of the Twilio platform was a little simpler for me. Although they do have really great guides for everything to help me get what I want done

Pros

Twilio is so dependable and versatile and I am extremely happy with it! It has become a main structure of my work flows from marketing text messages, call forwarding and everything communication. Twilio basically does everything. You can build anything you can think of inside the Twilio platform. It blows my mind what it is capable of. I feel like the only limit to what I can create with Twilio is my intelligence.

Cons

I like everything about Twilio. I have been using it forever and I don’t plan to stop anytime soon

Zadarma

Reasons for Switching to Twilio

So many reasons. I actually still use zadarma but that’s only because I haven’t taken the time to port out my phone number.

Reviewed on 13/11/2022

Great Call center management solution

I will definitely continue to use it, because the solution meets my needs

Pros

Gives you all te features to properly handle your call and SMS

Cons

The set up and management is a bit complicate but is a nice app.

CallHippo

CallHippo

Reviewed on 26/11/2022

Twilio has given us what we expected and more

It is a great way to manage the conversations between team members of our small team of software professional. It works well and we plan to continue to use it for the foreseeable future.

Pros

This product is used by my team of developers to communicate with each other and to keep records of our virtual meetings and conversations. It works great and we are happy with it.

Cons

The product is great but once in a while we need to restart the server portion because there are some minor issues. This is not bothersome as it performs what we expect.

Yige

Reviewed on 23/11/2022

The bedrock of sms engagement with customers.

In my department, Twilio is being used exclusively for mass sms engagement with customers. With our use of Twilio, we are successfully leveraging the vast opportunities that sms marketing provides.

Pros

The speed of short message service ( sms ) delivery to target audiences has impressed me the most. Coupled with how we have successfully used Twilio to deliver automated messages to target recipients on popular messaging platforms like Telegram and Whatsapp.

Cons

We don't get provided enough analytical data on Twilio. This limits my team when planning on ways to improve customer engagement though sms marketing .

• Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 8/10/2022

Twilio is tool for the quick solution to customers

over the web chat is cool software to use for the business to connect wih customers

Pros

the best feature is easy to install and easy to integrate with web. Also easy to response to customer and generate best dashboards to access data.

Cons

WhatsApp integration is quite challenging

Khemraj

Reviewed on 25/10/2022

Best Communication Integration Tool!

Overall I can say, this one is the most liked integration in my experience.

Pros

The most useful thing that make this tool different from others is, it's multi channel communication on single plateform.

Cons

Sometimes it's hard to setup authentication for those 3rd party tools, that supports only basic standard auth types.

Reviewed on 12/7/2022

Twilio's services and tools are reliable, easy to configure, easy to manage, and inexpensive

We use Twilio trunking for our multi-location PBX, and SMS messaging for customer communication. Twilio has worked out very well for us and I would strongly recommend them to other businesses. It's easy to set up, inexpensive and reliable.

Pros

So far, we use Twilio SMS messaging and SIP trunking. Our experience with was excellent. Everything from creating an account, setting up services, integrating with other systems (PBX and CRM), funding and managing services has been nearly perfect. We did not have a lot of experience with any of these technologies, and we had very little trouble getting it to work the way we want. They have done an outstanding job of designing the services and interfaces so you can put together systems exactly the way you want, without a lot of trouble for spending a lot of money.

Cons

The one negative that we have encountered so far is that Twilio's SIP trunking does not support T.38 faxing. We do have a couple legacy fax machines set up with ATA's, but they are unreliable both sending and receiving, so we had to supplement this with efax service from another vendor. This setup works, but it would've been nice to have everything together from one vendor. I understand that fax is outdated, but it's still the standard in the medical industry.

Abhinav

Reviewed on 5/6/2022

One of the most Powerful and Useful Platform in the World

Twilio is a great tool with a lot of Custom Features that can be plugged in to solve various business problems and provide value addition to Businesses.

Pros

Twilio provides a great level of services and is super easy to use. I personally used its WhatsApp API and Messaging API in my various Company Projects. It has a simple-to-understand API Documentation and powerful library support to get started with.

Cons

In Twilio for WhatsApp, the only downside I faced was it doesn't provide actual WhatsApp API which if provided could be of great help to me as new features of WhatsApp API takes time to come on Twilio.

360dialog

360dialog and Haptik
Pius
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 7/5/2022

Twilio

Twilio helps me send transactional SMS messages to my users, which is its important role for my business and it nails this. However, to get more out of it, I use it for marketing to certain user segments as well and it performs brilliantly. Overall, I am happy with Twilio.

Pros

Twilio easily integrates with multiple 3rd party services out there. With a simple Zap in Zapier, you can build multiple workflows that trigger operations on your Twilio accounts such as sending out mass SMS or transactional SMS to customers.
Twilio has exceptional deliverability in so many countries around the world. So no matter where your recipient is, Twilio can pretty much reach them.

Cons

Twilio has a steep learning curve if you do intend to get the most out of the products. You can cover a lot with simple API and Zapier, but to get the most from it using "Programmable Communications" needs some level of expertise. And this is where Twilio really showcases its powers. Unfortunately without a certain level of expertise, you will not get to that. Personally, as a NoCode builder, to overcome this I had to hire an expert to help me get the most out of Twilio.

MessageBird

Reasons for Switching to Twilio

Twilio was much easier to integrate with my existing stack of Bubble, Zapier, and Airtable.
Ed

Reviewed on 7/5/2022

Affordable 1:1 SMS messaging that natively integrates with Chili Piper and Marketo Engage

Experience has been positive and great

Pros

Extremely affordable option to send 1:1 SMS meeting reminders in conjunction with Chili Piper and increase show rates to hard earned appointments set by our sales reps as well as send 1:1 SMS marketing messages via Marketo Engage

Cons

Doesn't have 2-way, bi-directional texting capabilities when a prospects responds via text to either our meeting reminders or marketing messages

Jive

Reasons for Choosing Twilio

Skipio is a subscription-based Texting-CRM platform with a substantial monthly commitment

Skipio

Pricing commitment
Joel
  • Industry: Online Media

Reviewed on 23/6/2020

Outstanding Platform for Businesses Using WhatsApp

Overall it has been positive so far. We are launching our software globally now and so far they have been a solid partner in the countries we have been going to.

Pros

We used Twilio to be the backbone of custom cross-platform messaging software we built that connects people in different countries around the globe. We used it to send automated messages alerting the users that someone in their area wants to talk to them and then to continue to facilitate the conversations through our software and the WhatsApp API protecting the user's identities.

The API was very easy to use. The hardest and most challenging part was getting set up and approved by Facebook to get our WhatsApp numbers. The system tracks if messages were delivered which is great and we can see responses come back in as well, not the message content itself mind you, but that a response was sent. We also leverage their email platform which added another communication platform to our system.

All in all, we are excited about our partnership with Twilio and look forward to continuing to work with them.

Cons

The only challenging issues we had really involved WhatsApp and getting them to verify our Facebook Business listing, then approve us for a WhatsApp number and finally approve our message templates so we could use Twilio to send messages through their platform. I wouldn't say any of that was Twilio's fault and their staff was excellent at doing everything they could to help us.

The only thing I would like to see is a better more laid out navigation on their admin dashboards. You have to click into menus to get to a sub menu to then scroll around and try to find what you are looking for. It would be nice if they had a master link tree like Amazon does on their AWS dashboard.

Reviewed on 28/6/2020

Twilio also has a couple of secret super powers!

An amazingly well built product -- we rarely if ever had reliability issues -- the Twilio Functions were an especially useful post-purchase feature discovery -- so much so that we still use that even though we don't do any texting.

We also sometimes use FracTEL, since they beat Twilio on pricing 3:1 for 1-800 texts *and* had MMS 1-800 support long before Twilio.

Pros

* super easy to configure multiple accounts for billing purposes

* * Twimlets are a great way to experiment with product &/or prototype quickly - https://www.twilio.com/labs/twimlets

* Twilio functions is amazingly easy way to either extend power of tools such as Zapier &/or avoid having to use AWS Lambda, etc. -- it's a super cool hidden feature - https://www.twilio.com/docs/runtime/functions

* They have an auto-stop feature if you accidentally send too fast -- e.g., we accidentally created an infinite loop of texts between two phone numbers -- which they auto-stopped at about $20 (in three minutes).

There are likely other Twilio features hiding in plain sight -- poke around -- one of those rare cases where reading all the documentation is likely worth it

Cons

* the login process can be annoying
* help sometime takes longer than 24 hours
* configuring multiple sub-accounts is confusing at first
* not all functions can be done via UX -- some require API calls -- curl scripts were our goto

Renan

Reviewed on 19/5/2019

The "magical" DIY (Do It Yourself) communication system

After 2 years using Twilio services, mainly phone and messages, I can say I am so happy I found this solution to handle my communications.
It is so flexible,
Although it has been a little bit complicated sometimes to self-learn about online phoning systems it saved me from a lot of hassles I wanted to avoid.
The best benefit you get is the ultra efficient support service

Pros

With Twilio you can start from scratch to build your own online communication system. I didn't know so much about VOIP before and it is true I had to learn a few things.
So far I have been able to use my Twilio french mobile number fully online even whenI need to travel abroad - with all mobile services you can expect (voice, SMS, MMS).
The pricing is light and the global user interface makes the whole systme pretty easy to manage.
I only use a few features from the platform but the possibilities are huge ! And they are always working on new services.
And as Twilio is now really recognized as a communication company you can find additional software apps very easily and even documentation, I am thinking of the softphone app I am using on my mobile or desktop for instance.

Cons

I could customize a personal solution because I had time to test different options and as a developer I could code stuffs if needed.
I am not sure everybody can do the same without technical skills.

Sam
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Reviewed on 7/6/2022

Twilio is great, but the learning curve is greater

Because I don't make any changes to Twilio on my own, the barrier to entry requires me to rely on third-party developers to fulfill all my requests due to my technological limitations.

While this could be considered a good thing, as most business owners should not be screwing around with their phone system, it does mean that I need to be reliant on a third party to help make the Twilio implementation I dream up.

When everything is set up correctly, I never have issues with Twilio. That level of reliability means a lot when it comes to a business phone system. Because of this, I wholeheartedly recommend Twilio to any business. Just be prepared to take a deep dive into the learning curve or hire a third party.

Pros

Twilio has set the bar pretty high with the customizability of telephony. You can do incredible things with Twilio. From a simple phone tree to complex actions that integrate other applications with the likes of Zapier and other no-code services, the sky is the limit for most small business owners to create great solutions.

Cons

The downside is the learning curve. In comparison, I consider myself tutorial literate when coding and setting systems up. I can't seem the find the ability to build proficiency in Twilio. And while this is my own doing, it is my only con.

Twilio is incredible. For whatever reason, I have difficulty handling the tweaking on my own.

Ian

Reviewed on 11/12/2019

So easy it almost seems too easy.

We use Twilio Programmable Voice for a number of different use-cases. It is used to create trackable phone numbers for ads, internal phone/sms systems for sales/support and also integrated directly with our marketing automation platform, Autopilot. All of this had a fairly steep learning curve for a non-developer, but taking the time to do the work through Twilio (rather than a 3rd party software built on top of Twilio) has saved us a large amount of money and preserved a great deal of operational flexibility by preventing unwanted layers in our broader communications stack.

Pros

Twilio programable voice lets you build localized internet phone systems using numbers from anywhere in the world. I don't know of another comparable solution that isn't just another interface built on-top of Twilio. More importantly, it lets you customize these phone systems in every way imaginable (from drag/drop coding in Studio to custom apps) in just a few clicks. In terms of cost and flexibility, it is the clear winner in this space.

Cons

The product is trying to become increasingly friendly to non-developers, but it is still really positioned as a developer-first platform. It is a true platform technology, which is the root of most of Twilio's benefits – but that does come at the cost of being intimidating/less user-friendly to non-developers.

Regina

Reviewed on 9/8/2021

Powerful Call Management

I have had a great overall experience with Twilio. Call quality is great, the users have the option to switch between bridge dial (using a physical phone linked to Twilio) or voice over IP calling. Implementation is relatively easy and call management is done in the cloud so it can be done from anywhere.

Pros

We use Twilio in conjunction with Groove (Twilio is Groove's voice provider). It is an awesomely powerful software for call center-like call management. The voice provider lives in the cloud so Twilio is very easy to implement and get up and running very quickly with minimal development. It is pretty intuitive but has a learning curve for less tech-savvy users. The help articles are well-documented.

Cons

Twilio is very powerful, but could use more features, like the ability to have conference calls and drop off the conference call without transferring the call somewhere else. The ability to call someone, then conference in another line on the current call is not available on the platform which could be a deal-breaker for call center use.

Josip
  • Industry: Sports
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 1/9/2022

Start sending SMS programmatically with just a few lines of code

Pros

Twilio is superior when it comes to SMS delivery so I will share my experience with that since I use only SMS services but bear in mind that Twilio is much more than just SMS.
Twilio delivers messages fast and reliable all around the globe for a very competitive price. It usually takes just a few seconds to deliver the message. With Twilio, you don't even need to buy a phone number since you can send messages from an alphanumeric ID. You just need to make sure that this is legal in your country and take an additional registration step if required by law. Choosing the phone number from which you will send a message is sometimes a better solution since you can then also receive messages and for example, receive messages for unsubscribing the customer from your SMS marketing platform.
What I particularly like about Twilio is their offer for Non Profit organizations. They are willing to credit your account with 500$ if you are a registered Non-Profit and that is amazing! I don't know of any other company that gives such big credits for free and that speaks that company is led by managers who certainly have a great vision which is not only to make a profit but help people by providing easy use service. Their API is amazing! Documentation is full of examples and a lot of programming languages are supported out of the box. Their API services are not just developer focussed and overall complete service is so easy to use that I don't know why I haven't been using it much before.

Cons

Twilio dashboard is not the best experience and I don't like it even though it received a redesign recently. It feels kinda outdated and it isn't optimized for mobile devices what I found kinda alerting for 2022. Although you won't be using it on your mobile phone primarily, it is nice if you could check the error log fast on the go if a lot of them start popping out and alerting you on channels you set.

Chirag
  • Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 11/2/2021

Reliable text notifications for customers

We've had great experience with Twilio. Our users sign up for text notification and we use Twilio to deliver them information. That experience has been well-received by customers. There's more to Twilio than that but texting is what we use it for. The system barely ever goes down and always shows us accurate information of our usage.

Pros

Barrier to entry is so low; it's so easy to get started with Twilio. It took us one afternoon to test it and we were running production-grade systems the same week using Twilio. It's documentation is so good that we don't need to call into support for anything. Billing is clear and analytics is clear as well. We have enjoyed Twilio.

Cons

There isn't anything I don't like about Twilio. I do feel that Twilio can create widgets for non-technical customers to sign up customers for text notification. We have development staff that understands Twilio well enough. I do see small mom-and-pop shop owners who'd love to keep customers informed of sales through text messaging. If Twilio advertised more or somehow helped such audience, that'll be really neat.

Brandon

Reviewed on 10/12/2019

Powerful Control of Marketing & Data Analytics For Text, SMS & Video Sending

Wonderful people, always replay within a few hours of my late-night support emails. Reducing the bills is fantastic, and the tool plugs and plays with everything else nicely. Super happy with them for sure!

Pros

Love their COSTS... Some of the lowest in the industry, gives better control of budget. Utilizing Twilio we were able to navigate away from other tools that were costing us hundreds of dollars a month in per minute or per text overage fees. Provides more numbers at a cheaper cost per month by far, the whole system is powerful, inclusive, integrative of all tools and solutions through zapier and webhooks, and just a powerful system.

Cons

The UXI is a little heavy, when creating sub accounts and viewing the analytics, it is so powerful you can get lost, but that is a very minimal issue for I am sure someone with more knowledge can fly through the site and know what they are looking for much faster.

Reviewed on 17/2/2020

Best Communications API for Voice and SMS

Overall, it's highly recommended that every startup or business should go with Twilio as their backbone communications layer. Recently they added more services like email through SendGrid, so it is really powerful.

Pros

Using Twilio services for programmable voice and SMS means that we do not have to build that infrastructure, and can build features on top of that at a quick speed. I like how reliable the services is, which is a major draw and value for money with the costs. At occasional times when there are issues, they are resolved speedily. The team is super friendly, and will always be there to help answer our problems. Otherwise, the API documentation is great and easy to implement.

Cons

It doesn't work or work so well in places like China though, which is understandable. The admin console is largely usable but can include for features for less tech savvy people, understandably, not really their audience.

Lacie

Reviewed on 27/4/2022

Twilio integration

Our overall experience with Twilio has been great. The set up and implementation of Twilio in our office was extremely easy and we haven't experienced any issues using Twilio so far. I like that there's a specific phone # attached that looks like it's form our area code and office. Our patients can text us at any time and we have never had any missed texts or communication issues.

Pros

We currently use this software that is integrated with our ChiroHD Software system. Our team utilizes Twilio daily and appreciates the convenience to easily communicate with patients via text.

Cons

I don't think we are using the full functionality of the product due to it's integration inside ChiroHD.

Rick

Reviewed on 17/5/2022

Twilio fills a niche for us

Overall we like and will continue to use Twilio. We used it for a small side business and was easy to work with. My developer liked using it though it seemed like the only option out there at the time.

Pros

Simple to use product (as an end user) that seems to usually work and has the options we need.

Cons

It's still a VOIP phone service so every so often the sound quality is perfect and it's gone down like any phone service can.