About Teachable

Teachable is a cloud-based learning management solution used by small and midsize businesses. The solution allows users to create and share online courses by adding audio, video, images, text and PDF files. Students can access...

3.9
4.1
3.9

Browse Teachable Reviews

Mike

Reviewed on 6/2/2021

The Grass is Not Always Greener

Teachable allows me to run a great online school - and to do so with much of the functionality in one package. I do opt to substitute my own website and email automation (WordPress and Active Campaign) but I use their eCommerce payment platform and feel very confident. I have often wondered about switching but never have found an alterative that does not offer better than an alternative set of compromises.

Pros

Teachable is easy to use and does everything I need it to - and mostly very well. I also like that the company behaves ethically.

The user experience for my students is excellent and the all-in one package makes it very easy for me.

Cons

There are a few little niggles. Not a great mobile solution (but perfectly adequate) and the text editor in the course builder is low on capabilities for formatting beyond the basics (Tables? Not so much). And the placement of toolbars and save buttons is frustrating.

• Industry: Public Safety

Reviewed on 27/2/2020

Teachable--- Hosting Your Online Classes

My overall experience with Teachable has been very positive. Responsive customer support, improved features, and excellent onboarding training. My only frustration is the inability to auto-schedule blog posts.

Pros

I've been a Teachable user for a few years (I was a user when the name was Fedora). Since then, Teachable has been one of the most mentioned names for online course creators. One of the things I like best about Teachable is how easy it is to use the platform. In a matter of time, you can create an online course, including curriculum and media. This is super convenient for both the novice online course creator and the more experienced ones. It's a time saver!

Cons

Since 2019, the blog feature of being able to auto-schedule posting has not worked. I've placed support tickets to address the issue, but as of this writing (Feb 2020), the feature still isn't working. I write blog content well in advance and was able to schedule blog posts with ease. Now I have to set a reminder to go into my Teachable account to manually post the blog. This is not ideal.

Reasons for Choosing Teachable

SchoolKeep was changing its charging platform to a per-student model that didn't have a place in my business.

Reasons for Switching to Teachable

I liked the interface Teachable had (Fedora) vs. Thinkific.
Brandi

Reviewed on 7/9/2020

Disaster

Horrible, frustrating and a huge waste of a lot of time. Added so much more work for me to do when the point of having the software was to save me time.

Pros

Well, when I started I liked the idea of drip content for my students weekly lessons - BUT, it doesn't work properly so I can't say I liked anything about the Teachable software.

Cons

Constant Problems
The software constantly has glitches and major problems. My students have problems getting in, links do not work and have to be sent several times. My classes receive emails from other classes/courses that don't apply to their course at all.
Don't get me started on Customer Service. UGH! They replay in a decent amount of time - with a bunch of work for YOU the person paying to use their platform to read through, problem solve and basically try to figure out why THIER platform is not working properly.
For most of us we pay for a platform like this to cut down on the workload we have! Not create EXTRA work! I have spent so much time doing Teachables job that I rather create a damn Facebook group page for free and post the video learning and tutorials there. Or build it into my own website.
I can't even use their merchant services as they have asked for my tax info literally 30+ times. I sent it to them the first 10 times and just said forget it and have my student pay through our business system.
Wast of money and a HUGE waste of time.

Kajabi, Udemy Business and Thinkific

Price and features

Top Teachable Alternatives

Jessica

Reviewed on 8/1/2020

It's a great platform for my course

I have enjoyed my time with Teachable thus far and I think it's one of the best platforms out there. I'm enjoying the user-friendly process.

Pros

I was excited to find a product that was stremlined and user friendly. I even like that I can register students without registering for their monthly plan. Of course the fees are a little higher with that version but I like the 'try-before-you-buy aspect'. I like the look of it and that you will be able to creat certificates and allow students to track their progress. One of my favorite features is being able to create discount/ special codes when you want.

Cons

I don't like that i have to post a youtube URL if my videos are a little larger. This adds a little complication seeing as I'm not a techie, but it's not insurmountable.

Reasons for Switching to Teachable

I was a student on the other platform and didn't love the experience. I thought Teachable would be better for me as a creator and for the student side as well.
Sam

Reviewed on 30/12/2021

Teachable: Course Creators are Lost Without it!

It's a smooth journey and you have everything you need in one place. Excellent UI and overall it's all you need.

Pros

The overall coverage of all features a course creator needs. They even provide a payment gateway, which alone saves you plenty in commisions and monthly fees.

Cons

Just need an Android app. Not having an Android app forces most of my students to watch the courses on their browsers.

Reasons for Switching to Teachable

The first is that Teachable has an awesome reputation. Easy to use, and above all, affordable.
Gil

Reviewed on 20/6/2021

Best video course platform!

The price is very reasonable, it's a great platform to build amazing video courses!

Pros

The platform looks super professional, it's very easy to create professional and high-quality video courses for online clients.

Cons

I would add an option to create a video course you don't really want to sell, just to send to registered customers. Also, the navigation on the website is pretty difficult.

Steve

Reviewed on 21/4/2018

A great online course platform that's improving all the time

Pros

My favourite thing about Teachable is it 'just works' out of the box. Most of its functionality is intuitive and it doesn't try to add a million features that most people won't use. It's a software tool that knows what it is and who it's for. It makes it very easy to make a good looking site and get a course up for sale. Anyone can get started and be able to do most of what they need to be able to do to create a profitable online course business easily.

Cons

The drawback is in that final 5%. It's easy to make a good looking site, but not easy to make an amazing looking site. I have in the past had some issues with their affiliate system and with their support staff, but to be fair this was in late 2016 and they have made big improvements since then. I would like to see them roll out new features more consistently so that their users are on the cutting edge of online course technology rather than just slightly behind. Teachable is also best for people that don't want to integrate multiple tools. This is also a good thing as it stays focused, but I think it's worth noting here as a potential user should consider that what they get with Teachable is what they get. Don't start using it expecting to link it with a forum later if you don't love how their commenting system works (for example).

Brian Møller
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Reviewed on 26/12/2018

Teachable - Organizes knowledge and wisdom by the people for the people

I am still using Teachable and like their plans for upgrading to professional use. However i am not impressed with the feautures nor the quality of work. Though it fit my needs as a first time online course creator.

Pros

Easy to use. A simple framework to set up a complete curriculum. Fine sales pages and features to give students access by drip function. So they have to work their way through before accessing the whole course.

One can also make a great Curriculum framework and reuse for the next and the next. By the function og duplicating a whole course.

Cons

The inflexibility to make the page look and design in a way that fit the needs for ones own creativity is limited. Also the integrations with other software, landingpages, Eventbrite, Facebook is quite lowkey and can need an upgrade soon.
There is very few options for making the page look great in the GUI. But one can use own html to code if so desired.

Meiby

Reviewed on 27/3/2018

One versatileLLMS

In my experience it is a great teaching platforms, because it allows me to concentrate only on the part of teaching because I do not know much about programming or program updates since the same tool takes care of that and I can concentrate only on the knowledge that they want to give. Can be flexibility for the different audiencia nivel.

Pros

It has several important features but among the most outstanding is very easy to use since the platform is very intuitive and does not correspond a great challenge to use it, besides having a large number of tools from which I can attend the student as for example the power create blogs and finally their different forms of payment gateways can affiliate with different accounts being an excellent option.

Cons

It is an excellent platform because it is simple for both the teacher and the student, adapting to the preferences of the author of the course giving a great capacity for organization over the various contents.

Biggi
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 5/8/2022

The most complete online LMS

Overall, my experience with the product has been great. But, Teachable, the company, really goes above and beyond to support course creators and help them earn from their knowledge. I definitely recommend them.

Pros

Having been around for many years, Teachable has all the features I am looking for in an LMS. For me, it also has the best student experience of all the hosted or self-hosted LMS platforms.
Unlike other software in the category, Teachable has full email capabilities built in, saving me time and money.
Their help documentation is also very comprehensive and well written, making the need for customer support a rarity.

Cons

The software is great, but I don't like the pricing. The free plan had its features cut so much that it really can only be used as a trial version to evaluate the software.

Peter

Reviewed on 30/5/2019

I love Teachable

I teach small-business owners sales and marketing skills via online courses. When I first crossed over from a Wordpress platform with 80 lectures, each containing video, text, PDFs, and soundtracks - the entire crossover process was completed in a day. Easy work - just lots of it. That was three years ago. Since then I've seen more than 100 students set up their own schools. They all rave about the platform.

Pros

Incredibly easy to use. Very fast to deploy a complete course with almost zero technical skill. fast and comprehensive support. Their free pricing offers a zero cost startup. It's so good that I introduce Teachable to every student I teach.

Cons

I love their concern about security. Just sometimes, and this is not a complaint, I offend by logging in from a different machine. That invokes two-factor authorization. It's not a problem at all, of course, but it's the feature I like least. Call me lazy.

Twanna
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Reviewed on 13/10/2021

Great customer support but…

I didn’t like holding funds for a period of time and the fees.

Pros

I love the customer support and how long you are able to try out the platform before making a commitment.

Cons

I wanted to love and use this platform but it was not user friendly and some of the policies didn’t sit well with me.

Reviewed on 5/6/2018

I host video training courses on Teachable and love their platform.

Teachable allows me to quickly and easily organize my video course content in a logical manner. This makes course deployment simple and my courses still retain a professional look/feel.

Pros

Teachable is very user friendly and they offer an intuitive user interface. They have features like drag and drop or duplicate that make creating training courses a breeze. I've used other course creation software and I find that Teachable is easier to understand. They also have a lot of documentation and offer support. Also, check out their facebook group...there's lots of valuable info exchanged there about course creation.

Cons

I'm on the basic plan and I think it's a little pricey, but I get it; they're in business to make money. I wish they had a plan between the free plan and the basic plan with less features than the basic as this would probably be a better fit for me.

Rune

Reviewed on 12/5/2020

Teachable, a platform for selling your courses

I have used Teachable for years. It is one really simple solution for putting products out there, online, without much time wasted, or headaches. I can totally vouch for it and it is used by many serious players because it works so good.

Pros

I love teachable. It makes it wasy for any user to add a product and sell it online. Compared to a lot of other self hosted solutions, Teachable makes it easy to start with selling right out of the bat. Just add your content, and adjust a few tweaks, add price. And voila, information product for sale, without you needed to know any coding or any website creation knowledge.

Cons

I don't have much to say in the negative about this platform.
It plain and simple works, and has good fees.
Only think I can think of is better design control. If they add that and also some conversion boosters that might be a thing to note, which I thought was missing.

Latasha

Reviewed on 9/4/2020

Teachable is great for content creators!

Overall, my experience has been great! Their customer service team is super helpful when you need them and the platform is very familiar to a lot of other bloggers and online business owners.

Pros

If you are looking to create courses or to grow your online business Teachable is the place to be. I have been using this platform to host my courses and it has been super great. I love how you can create sales pages for each of your courses to help boost sales.

Cons

The only con about Teachable is that they recently changed how their creators can design their sales pages for their courses. This can be a learning curve if you don't know much about web designing.

Eduardo
  • Used for 1+ year

Reviewed on 1/5/2019

Great por trainings!

If you’re a teacher or if you want to share your knowledge you’ll love Teachable. The main objective of the platform is to create content to share and sell that knowledge.

Pros

You can start making money by generating slides, videos or material. Has PayPal integrations so you can connect directly to your PayPal account. As a teacher or content creator for education you can categorize content, view learners progress and even detect each one's grades. Has a lot of management tools for large groups of people.
You can create a landing page for every course and let the students apply for your courses.

Cons

If you're looking for an internal LMS Teachable is not the solution. But that will be a great opportunity for Teachable to configure and make some updates for a Company LMS product. For sure another business model.

Reviewed on 26/8/2019

Fast Start for Online Courses

I advise anyone who would like to sell his or her online courses. It has very user friendly interface.

Pros

It has a free plan and you can test most of significant features of the application

Cons

So important some of features are closed in free plan

Tim
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Reviewed on 22/6/2018

Teachable is a forward-thinking Learning Management System with a great team behind it.

This software helps me have a modern and useful course for my users. It takes out the management of affiliates, authentication, and other essential components that would be a pain to build.

Pros

Teachable has so much functionality I expect from my Learning Management System. And the support/team behind it empowers me to provide beautiful courses to my users. Its coupon functionality, homepage design, and course builder are intuitive and powerful. Just recently they have made it possible to give students a certificate for completing the course, which has long been a request of our users.

Cons

I wish there was more API functionality through Teachable. There are useful webhooks, but manipulating data within the platform is limited.

Hanah
  • Industry: Writing & Editing
  • Used for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 9/10/2019

Create Courses Quickly

Overall, I love creating content with this site. If you have questions, they can help you and help you figure it out. The emails they send with helpful tips and information is great. This site is wonderful for anyone who wants to teach other people information that is valuable.

Pros

I like this software and how I can create courses and content for other people. The site has loads of information and they will also email you simple articles to help you with creating content. I like the helpful tips and how useful they are. I also like how I can put my information on slides, so I can create my courses. I have loads of ideas, so I want to make courses for people to understand. This site has tools that I can add to my content course slides which allows me to be creative for each one.

Cons

It can overwhelm someone at first especially if you just started. The site has loads of areas and boxes. I wish they would minimize just some of the work areas for people who just started with the site. The dashboard main area to do my work on just seems a bit overwhelming. It would be nice if the area didn't have so much on it and the person could click to decrease some of the options on the dashboard fast.

• Industry: Arts & Crafts

Reviewed on 27/7/2019

Great platform, I wish there was a couple of extra features

Pros

Teachable really can help new teachers who would like to start selling their lessons, as they provide a great free plan. After someone start earning some money can upgrade to the next plans, getting the advantage of great extra features. I hope that they won't change their free plan with adding more limitations, as many other services have done in the past.

Cons

I don't like the fact that many features are available only via the Zippier integration. That means, you need an extra tool to learn and you need am extra service to pay every month. At least, teachable should be able to let professionals create 2-3 upsell options, and more importantly to give the the ability to create membership plans for their courses, with a trial period that automatically would upgrade to the standard pricing plan. Now someone needs to duplicate the course, create two separate pricing plans, integrate with Zapier and create a route where when someone pass the trial period, zappier will delete him from one source and then enrolling him to the other. Too complicated.

Reviewed on 10/8/2021

Nice addition to CE tools

We wanted a tool that would allow us to take existing training content and repurpose it as passive income. Teachable makes that really simple. We also wanted something that could be completely self-paced and this fit the bill. Set up was really quick. Reporting is also quite good.

Pros

Teachable provides a quick and easy way to repurpose existing content into self-paced tutorials. Set up is really easy and tracking learners very straightforward. Monetizing the content is also easy (the biggest reason we chose Teachable).

Cons

Not much to dislike. Lower price options/plans would be nice. Notifications are kind of a pain - it's trickier than it ought to be to turn them off (like when new learners join a course).

Rocky

Reviewed on 3/10/2017

Teachable is fantastic if you need to get a course up and running without the technical...

Pros

The two LMS platforms I recommend to entrepreneurs are Teachable/Thinkific. Everything around a online course can be built on Teachable. That way, you can focus on making course content and teaching your students.

Cons

The lack of mobile responsiveness, and embedded content is hit or miss. I had trouble embedding a online form for quiz taking, and the workaround didn't work.

Baidhurya

Reviewed on 13/9/2017

Donna

Reviewed on 26/8/2020

Good features; Limited support

I'll continue using Teachable, now that I've gone up the learning curve. I wish creating a course were a little more intuitive.

Pros

After watching some tutorials and spending a bit of time, I was able to get the hang of creating online course through Teachable. They have good features like affiliate marketer enabling, adding a coaching service, and a backoffice bookkeeping option. They also offer a 30-day money back guarantee.

Cons

It's difficult to get live support, and the website offers no help in marketing your materials. It's nearly impossible to find your class in a google search.

Daniele

Reviewed on 14/10/2021

The easy way to publish and sell a course

Pros

- very very easy to learn and use
- a free plan to try
- letterally in minutes you can create a course and sell it
- i guess is the best way to publish a course for a non-tech people

Cons

- high commission for the transactions
- the best features for business only in the most expensive plan