About CANVAS

Canvas LMS from Instructure is a cloud-based learning management system (LMS) specifically designed for K-5 on up through higher education institutions. Canvas LMS is a scalable platform that can be used by educational institution...

Browse CANVAS Reviews

3,523 of 3,523 reviews
Ilan
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Reviewed on 1/9/2022

Canvas Review

Being a university student I didn't have the full scope of Canvas from the uploading perspective but it allowed me to look at whatever was submitted for our review, download files, check grades and upload homework. As far as a virtual classroom goes this was a slick and useful program in academia with no hassle involved.

Pros

The software experience was as a student in college or university as opposed to a teacher. From my end everything worked seamlessly to give us classroom assignments to do at home. We could turn in documents and essays and even do online testing. I was always able to navigate the Canvas portal and from what I understood my teachers had little stress in uploading work for us.

Cons

There wasn;t anything I'd call a major problem with Canvas. Obviously it will have some features beat out by more commonplace methods, such as email instead of an internal messaging system.

Ariya

Reviewed on 6/8/2022

Review on Canvas

As a user of 2 years and counting, I am very satisfied with my overall experience with Canvas and am very likely to share it with others. It is software that will continue to be used in the future; it's a major improvement to online learning.

Pros

This software is very well organised with minor issues. I think as a user of 2+ years, I am extremely satisfied with the software. Although there are some minor improvements to be made, I believe that this software is the future of remote higher education.

Cons

I think my major complaint about this software would be the fact that hiding and/or deleting certain courses' cards/lists isn't an option. When one year is over and another begins, half of the courses still on my dashboard can be considered clutter and are no longer needed. I think another feature that would make organising easier is editing the name of the course on my dashboard. Organisations usually title their courses in the same format with minimal changes which does make it harder to differentiate from one another. Adding subtle features that allow for personalising your dashboard without compromising the content of the courses would be helpful, I believe.

Luis
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 11/8/2022

Canvas Review

I think Canvas is very powerful and it keeps my courses organized but it has a learning curve. I'd recommend training your employees instead of hoping that they figure Canvas out on their own because it can turn into a mess.

Pros

I like that I can keep track of all of my courses and tasks.

Cons

I don't like all of the notifications. Some of them are useful like the ones that warn you about deadlines but others are just plain annoying and useless and clutter your dashboard.

Top CANVAS Alternatives

• Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Reviewed on 1/8/2022

The Blackboard Slayer

The benefits of canvas over blackboard make it the clear winner. It built the habit of checking my grades and checking the schedule for more work really easy and convenient.

Pros

Canvas is a flexible learning management platform that integrates well with zoom, panopto, proprietary websites, and more. It helps students take exams and submit homework with reliable automatic grading and robust grade calculations. It does a good job at providing an efficient interface between teacher and learner, and helps students make better study habits. Very happy user of CANVAS

Cons

The biggest drawback of using canvas is easily the possibility that an administrator doesn't set their course up efficiently. However, this is no fault of the platform itself as many make it perfectly easy to use and reliable.

Richmond
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Reviewed on 2/8/2022

A great experience so far

Pros

It's such an awesome software i must say. I'm really blown away by the Progress Tracking aspect!

Cons

It was just fine. I actually didn't have anything wrong

Reviewed on 30/7/2022

Absolutely ESSENTIAL to ANY CLASS!

I love using it and will be continuing to use it for years to come! It definitely enhances my classroom experience for students and me.

Pros

The software makes it very easy to track, manage, and administer a class. Many of its features can be used to enhance a live class. I prefer to use it as a supporting tool as opposed to a hub for my class. Many of its tools and features are intuitive and user friendly.

Cons

Some customization options are confusing as to how they can be used effectively.

Blackboard Learn

Reasons for Switching to CANVAS

The price was comparatively better for the quality of the product.
Sophie
  • Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 5/8/2022

CANCAS, Greatest of All Times

Pros

Video assignments are very enjoyable. Online quizzes are available with CANVAS and results are instant, this is very ideal for learning. Files are editable saving a lot of time feeling manual, the option of submitting online is superb. The design is welcoming and meets all needs of all users

Cons

I have no drawbacks. I love CANVAS and highly recommend it

Patrick
  • Industry: Research

Reviewed on 29/7/2022

CANVAS Student Review

My overall experience with canvas has been very organised and focused, canvas software is very specifc and striaght to the point. it helped me with access to a great and organised platform where i can schedule and meet my objectives.

Pros

as a student Canvas software is a very convenient easy tool to use for my studies, with features that makes it easy to navigate the platform. Canvas has a very straight forward interface layout with less irrelevent information, it has features like activity tracking , progress tracking, grading, learning management and many more that helps keep focus on my objectives with less or little distractive information.

Cons

Just like any other product it is more likey that there wil be a few inconveniences depending on capabilities and overall perfomance of the product. for me it is the interface, the interface looks very tired and less exciting to surf and engage with the product. things like pop ups, course recommendations, relavent newsletters and a tour guide could be very useful to improve or evolve the product.

Eric

Reviewed on 25/8/2022

User friendly Software, CANVAS

Pros

I like being able to organize quizzes and get real time results. Easy to maneuver as interface is well organized. Gives a nice overview of course statistics. Regular updates is a brilliant feature. I love video assignments which are enjoyable

Cons

Nothing really. So far so good, no dislikes

Nujan

Reviewed on 14/8/2022

Canvas is easy to understand

Pros

As a bachelors student what I like about using canvas is I can track my course and assignment very easily. Canvas rubric table is awesome we can easily check how the lecturer and instructor evaluated your marking.

Cons

UI is kind of buggy. Sometimes UI doesn't even respond and I find difficult to setup app.

Deepali
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 4/4/2022

Canvas - A full range of online training apparatuses

Excellent

Pros

1) Gives inward correspondence, not needing an external message or email framework.

2) Incorporates a file sharing structure for informative materials inside the framework.

3) Gives an evaluating stage that is distinguishable by students and instructors.

Cons

Record names used to be shortened - however that is fixed at this point.

Reasons for Choosing CANVAS

Canvas takes the better part of the Google Classroom and consolidates them to work pretty flawlessly - reviewing, tasks, participation, record/document sharing - all coordinated into one stage. Moreover, the interior correspondence include makes communication between the student and instructors simple to track and follow. That is an incredible expansion to the general bundle.

Emil

Reviewed on 16/3/2022

Canvas for Teachers

It's extraordinary for instructors, coaches, distributers or anyone with any interest in making better approaches to learning. It helps structure your plan interaction and assists you with settling on the most ideal decisions route. We need everybody to have the option to utilize the Canvas and that is the reason offer it for nothing! Assuming you really want a little assistance with utilizing the material.

Pros

Advanced education instruments that play pleasantly with others.

Rubrics. Modules. Schedules. Plans. Tests. Prospectuses. Investigation. Speed Grader! (Signal heavenly messengers singing.) Canvas has so many master bang includes that will add flair to your courses. Furthermore, we could go on and on about the combinations. The Canvas API pals straight up with apparatuses like Google Classroom, Microsoft Teams, Zoom, Adobe, and many other innovation accomplices to convey one brought together learning center point.

Cons

Instructors are influential individuals doing significant, groundbreaking things. Material doesn't impede that-it simply makes those significant, Canvas is groundbreaking things more straightforward to do and simpler to share.

Jim

Reviewed on 28/2/2022

The Last LMS You Will Ever Purchase

As a staple in higher education, online and hybrid learning have played a central role in offering courses to a geographically dispersed demographic of students. Canvas provides this ability with a solid product and reliable up time to help us meet these goals.

Pros

A very powerful platform with a low threshold for adoption and ease of use. Our instructors rave about the intuitiveness of the course builder features and functionality. Since the pandemic, nearly all of the institution's thousands of courses have content online in Canvas - including the traditional in-person classes.

Cons

Integration with our student information system required some additional outside services to that students, courses, and grades could be synced in real time in order to give students immediate access once enrolled for the class.

Blackboard Collaborate and Brightspace

Reasons for Choosing CANVAS

After Blackboard's acquisition of MoodleRooms, the support, service, and development declined while prices increased. After a complete RFP of the alternatives, Canvas became the clear leader in the learning management system space.

Reasons for Switching to CANVAS

Best product, best support, best pre-and post-sales support
Christian

Reviewed on 28/2/2022

CANVAS-A Great LMS

Overall Canvas has made my job as a professor more fluid and convenient. It has saved me many hours of time and has provided my students with a great tool to succeed in college. I have a very positive opinion of this LMS and am glad my institution uses it. There are some things about it that I am not too happy with, but the positives greatly outweigh the negatives.

Pros

The thing I like most about Canvas is the user interface and the ease of use. Canvas makes it very easy to provide students with all course materials that used to be copied and handed out in class. Not only does this save time and effort, but it is great for the environment. I have been trained several times on Canvas though it is quite easy to learn and use. Once you become accustomed to the nuances of using it, you start to appreciate its design. I really appreciate the tools that are available with Canvas such as the attendance feature and the ability to integrate publisher's materials.

Cons

The thing I like least about Canvas is the lack of ease of importing test banks from publishers. I am not sure if this is due to Canvas or the publishers. But I try to avoid using quizzes as much as possible. I hate to type 60 questions and answers for each test and for each class. I usually give 5 exams per class and I typically teach 3 different classes.

• Industry: Writing & Editing

Reviewed on 17/2/2022

Canvas - The Best Online Classroom A Student Can Ever Have!

Pros

What I love most about Canvas' software was how simple and easy it is to use. It is the one platform that I have used for six-to-seven years that has allowed me to feel connected to my fellow students and professors most even during classes that were strictly online. It has options like a calendar that automatically shows you all of your assignments on their due dates a weekly and monthly glances. It has neatly color-coded panels that allow you to divide up and access your courses easily. It even has a built-in grade book so students can manage their grades, estimate their overall course grade using the built-in grade estimation system so they aren't in the fark about their grades the whole semester. It even has a feature where students can email other students and teachers directly through Canvas and a system where students can record themselves saying their name so it won't be mispronounced! There are so many other tools to name and I love that so very much about Canvas. For its inexpensive price, accessibility, and variety of tools, I would wholeheartedly recommend Canvas to any school or teacher to use.

Cons

While it's hard to pick out something that I didn't like about Canvas, I would say that the test and assessment grading system could use some improvement. It's a challenge for students and teachers alike to enter numerical equations that require certain formats such as scientific notation, for example, and it would be wonderful if that could be improved for future use. Even so, Canvas still has a great grading system for other courses that do not require equations and such so I still very much recommend it to anyone.

Nicole

Reviewed on 16/2/2022

Unique uses

Canvas is flexible enough to allow us to implement courses for unique purposes outside the traditional college course (online or with online support). I have built a course framework in the LMS for a semester-long class, with traditional assignments, grading, etc. (The gradebook and SpeedGrader are great.) However, it's also let my team create information hubs and portals, using Mastery Paths to direct different people to different resources, and offering flexible components (such as "mark as done" vs. actual assignments) that allow courses to stay evergreen throughout multiple semesters without having to be recycled. I've been able to use Canvas not only as a LMS platform for moving learners through courses and content, but to provide training and information and instruction on programs and processes.

Pros

Canvas is flexible and has great integration with certain add-ins, including Microsoft Office, Zoom, Ally (an accessibility checker tool), and Echo360, which are the ones I use the most. It allows authors to integrate a variety of content in a way that makes sense, and the grouping of modules and content is convenient and easy to change. The support forums are also typically very helpful. There are plenty of tools that I haven't even gotten around to using to their full potential, i.e. the calendar, chat features, rubrics. I haven't used them this way yet, but the Mastery Paths feature would be excellent for providing personalized learning experiences or implementing pre-tests.

Cons

I wish there was a more sophisticated way to subscribe to certain types of notifications (e.g. certain threads within discussion topics). There's limited ability to author courses within the LMS, and you mostly have to rely on content you create or import yourself. When used for nontraditional purposes (e.g. providing a central hub for students in an honors program, rather than students in a particular class), there have been some issues with our SIS integrating correctly with Canvas. This also may just be an issue with my campus' implementation of Canvas, but I wish that you could have 1 page linked to multiple courses and that updating it in one place made the updates in all the courses in which the page existed; this would help for centralizing information. There are no templates or pre-created objects and libraries, which again may be an issue with my particular campus rollout, and also just a general downside of open-source products.

• Industry: Publishing

Reviewed on 8/2/2022

A huge step up!

As a student in several certification courses, I'm largely just relieved by the move away from Blackboard since my time in university! Canvas works reliably—it's always a relief to know that you'll be able to access your course when you need to—and has a variety of compelling features that really benefit the online learning experience, including well-designed quizzes and interactive forums.

Pros

I feel that the quiz tool is one of the best assets to online learning I've seen in recent years. With our virtual learning system in which back-and-forth conversation (a more traditional lecture style) is not currently possible, the quiz tool allows instructors to gauge student knowledge and understanding of everything taught so far, without requiring a grade for accuracy. So much more powerful than the old-fashioned approach of requiring a weekly forum post to promote "engagement"!

Canvas has a huge variety of learning tools that really enable instructors to customize their teaching styles. Instructors who use it to the best of their abilities really empower their students to learn, even in this crazy virtual world.

Cons

The platform can be difficult to navigate at times—it's not a particularly intuitive design—and materials can get lost or overlooked (not a great situation when grades are involved!). In addition, it doesn't always play nicely with certain web browsers or ad blockers. If it's best accessed under certain settings, that should be clearly communicated!

Maritza

Reviewed on 14/1/2022

Design Your Dream Course on Canvas

Designing online course content has been easier with the use of Canvas. It has made teaching in an online setting much more rewarding as I am able to focus more on students and their learning instead of spending time trying to figure out how to use software.

Pros

The intuitive design features and ease of use are great! You can create a great course in a short amount of time and you can share courses with colleagues for this purpose, too! If you're new to online course design, Canvas is definitely the platform to use. It also has design features for more advanced users that let you customize your content even further. There's definitely something for everyone here - whether your a new online content creator or well-versed.

Cons

If I had to pick one thing it would be the actual process of integration of external software. While I love that I can integrate external software, the process is multi-step and counterintuitive. You have to secure permissions (product key or registration number externally) and separately add/activate the software in the settings feature for the course (for EACH course), and a few other steps when you actually want to use the external program in Canvas for an assignment. It does require a bit of setup and patience. The good thing is that once you do it, you're set for the term.

Rebekah

Reviewed on 27/10/2021

Couldn't have gotten through college (as a student and as a TA) without it

It's interesting reading other reviews using Canvas as a tool for certification and similar modular learning. As it was used during my years at college and as a teaching assistant, it reliably got every job done well and seemed perfectly built for each small adaptation we found to use it for.

Pros

I've mentioned quite a few technological pluses in the rest of this review, but for this particular response I think the most important thing was how friendly the system was. It handled tens of thousands of us constantly logged in at my university, relayed grades instantly, never crashed while administering tests, and simply had an aesthetic layout (using our college colors!) that didn't treat you like a criminal (think of other test monitoring software) or unduly freak stressed students out with how they present grades, feedback, deadlines, and more.

Cons

Honestly, I found no faults with the software while using it as either a student or TA. Given the option however, I would have suggested integration options with other, lesser tools we used as TAs such as timesheets and hour submission portals.

Juliette

Reviewed on 29/8/2021

A Good Software with Minor Complaints

Overall, Canvas is a good software. I've used Blackboard before as well, but it was outdated and had a more confusing interface than Canvas. Canvas makes it easy to see and download assignments. The two minor issues with the software are the inconvenient mobile view and the notification settings.

Pros

Canvas is useful because I can see all of my coursework on one platform that is simple to use. I can organize my courses on the home page as I like, and when I click on the course, I can see modules, assignments, and tests attached to the course. Documents load very easily on Canvas, and I like being able to "preview" documents posted before downloading them.

Cons

I have two complaints about the Canvas software. First of all, the mobile version does not work well. I never downloaded the Canvas app, but did try to go on the website on my phone. The text was so small and the menus on the left side of the screen did not load well, so I could never use my phone to get on Canvas without the app. My other complaint with the software is that whenever anything was graded for a course, even if it was an older assignment, I'd get a notification. Perhaps this is just the settings set by the instructor and not Canvas itself, however.

Reviewed on 7/8/2021

CANVAS is a great tool for Courses and International competitions.

It's a nice program for communicating with students and is very organized. I really like to use it.

Pros

If you work in a school or a scientific competition, or if you wish to teach a class, you can use CANVAS. It's an excellent application because the grade book offers an Effective Teaching option for tracking progress against a set of academic criteria. Students and teachers will benefit from this mobile-friendly and easy tool. The largest business would be distance education, although it performs excellently in general.

Cons

It can be tough to cope with at first when using the application, and it takes a long time to publish a post on the student page.
Students occasionally carried assessments in the incorrect location and took time to get acquainted with the mobile phone application.

Edmodo, Microsoft Teams and Canva

Reasons for Choosing CANVAS

I found CANVAS is an organized program in dealing and communicating with Students than other Programmes

Reasons for Switching to CANVAS

In general, I prefer to use the program, especially in making exams for students, because it appears if the student opens other programs with him, which confirms to me the credibility of dealing and the absence of cheating
Ryan

Reviewed on 11/5/2021

Best of the bunch (but still not stellar)

I've been a full-time professor for six years now, and before that I was a full-time graduate student for three, and an adjunct instructor for another six, not to mention the time I spent as an undergraduate myself, when LMS software was becoming ubiquitous. This means that I've used virtually every LMS package out there as either an instructor or a student (or both), and despite its bugaboos and flaws, Canvas continues to outpace the others in terms of usability, innovation, and overall quality.

Pros

I've used the Canvas learning management system (LMS) as both a student and an instructor for years now, and I can say with a high level of confidence that it is, by far, the best LMS available today. It strikes a good balance between available features and ease of use, meaning instructors have a reasonably high level of customization at their fingertips at the course level, but students won't be confused or overwhelmed since every Canvas course retains certain similarities that can't be altered (e.g., navigation). There also appears to be a great deal of control that can be exerted by administrators in terms of locking down (or opening up) features, so it can be tweaked accordingly for any given institution. There are a LOT of features available to instructors in Canvas, and those can be expanded indefinitely by adding third-party integrations.

Cons

There are a range of frustrating quirks, missing features that require hack-y workarounds, confusing user interface issues, and inexplicable limitations that regular users will run into with routine use. For example, if you create an assignment and enable peer reviews of that assignment, it is difficult for students to figure out how to access the documents they are supposed to evaluate. Once they do find them, the embedded document editor is buggy and limited, and occasionally fails to save student edits. On top of all of this, if peer reviews are set to "anonymous," the embedded editor is disabled entirely--not just for students, but for the instructor as well, making it impossible to make inline comments or suggestions. Even more frustrating is the Canvas/Instructure support website, with its arcane, verbose design and overreliance on "community" message boards instead of dedicated agents to solve problems.

Lorraine

Reviewed on 3/5/2021

Canvas - Secure E-Learning Platform for All

Positive. The Canvas guides, videos, Community and help desk are really fabulous. Being able to access the answer to development questions 24/7 is a game changer for motivated learners.

For personalization and differentiation Canvas supports mastery paths which when built carefully give this platform an innovative edge for teachers. Canvas continues to improve their product with every update. Canvas is aware of industry trends and learners needs and makes sure their platform exceeds expectations.

Pros

When Canvas became our LMS for e-learning I was delighted. Having a secure, self-contained platform was a game-changer for teachers and students. Using SSO (single sign on) enabled users to access their classes easily and without fail. The course customization and integration with other tools (OneNote, Google, Flipgrid, Formative, etc.) made advanced users look like wizards of course design. The calendar feature which allows students to track and plan for assignments empowers learners.

Canvas was ahead of the curve when it comes to individual feedback. Their voice or video comment feature has been personalizing the virtual classroom for years. Canvas is great for Professional Develpment especially with the discussion feature. Learners can respond to and interact with one another asynchronously and this authentic interaction benefits students and teachers alike.

Cons

There were times when the customization features were not enough in Canvas. The platform itself is not visually appealing at first. The user has to carefully desing the course, beginning with the end in mind, to make it visually appearing and navigable for the learner.

Additionally, it may just have been our district instance but the integration with PowerSchool gradebook was both a plus and a minus. Teachers loved that interaction as it saved so much time grading. When that interaction had glitches it was a nightmare and sometimes difficult to solve or to find the root cause. This was often the fault of browser updates or software bugs, not Canvas.

Louisa

Reviewed on 17/3/2021

Canvas in three words: reliable, convenient, and innovative.

My overall experience with Canvas has been incredible. From my days using the platform at my large public high school to my current use of Canvas at the University of Pennsylvania, I have found it to be extremely instrumental in fostering my learning. The landing page for each of my courses presents the necessary information, such as grades or quizzes, in a way that is consistent across the platform, yet also enables professors to customize what different links to information appear in order to allow them to design a page which best fits the scope of their course and its associated assignments. I have loved using Canvas, and look forward to doing so throughout the rest of my college career!

Pros

I first used Canvas long before I ever even entered college as a high school student. However, throughout the years the platform has always remained extremely easy to use and provided me stable and secure access to my course content. With the advent of online learning brought on by the pandemic, I began to use Canvas even more this past year as a current junior in college. Reflecting on my increased use of the platform over the past year, I can appreciate how Canvas has remained not only reliable and convenient to use, but also innovative in that they have continued rolling out updates which make the platform even better, such a the "like" feature which enables students to engage more with their classmates' responses on discussion posts.

Cons

The one feature which could be improved on Canvas would be more clear instructions on how to update your profile photo! One of my professors requested that we change our profile photos to a picture of ourselves last week, and while I was eventually able to do so successfully, it took me a little but to figure out where to take this action.

Kudzai

Reviewed on 17/3/2021

CANVAS - Easy e-learning Setup

It is easy and quick to set up even for no technical people. It is a reasonable cost depending on usage.

Pros

The first thing I noted about Canvas is that when creating content, the page looks like an MS Word document. This makes creating pages with content easy as the learning curse is very gentle. There is very little need to be technical. It is more a matter of formatting rather than getting to know the software platform itself.

The dashboard is clean and modern with easy navigation on the left sidebar for courses, account information, calendar, inbox and help. Your default home is your published and unpublished courses. On the courses tabs, are announcement and conversation icons that notify if a course has issues you need to attend to in a specific course.

The settings menu is straightforward with nothing cryptic even for non-technical people.

Setting up courses is a breeze with a 'Course Setup Checklist' button available inside each course shell you create. There is a walkthrough for each element of a course from content to publishing your course. If you have an existing course you can simply import the course with several formats supported including but not limited to Blackboard, Moodle and zip. For educators at various institutions, they can just import and customize where the need arises for the different institutions.

Assessment types include quizzes and assignments. It also integrates easily with other services like Google Drive, Office/Docs and others.

Cons

Video elements management needs improvement, the thumbnails are poor quality and very small. There is no option to edit them. To get a good visual of Office elements needs embedding the content hosted somewhere else. Natively on the platform PDF and PPT display poorly with just vertical scrolling. Exporting An exported courses from Canvas is in a custom format that is not compatible with other LMS platforms. This makes it hard to move between platforms. There not much customization of learning elements compared to other LMS available. Some of the support documentation is dated and needs updating.

Accord LMS

Reasons for Choosing CANVAS

A different vendor with different needs that best fit Canvas than Accord LMS.

Accord LMS

Reasons for Switching to CANVAS

There was a need for something quick and easy to use for instructors without the need for having technical support on call all the time.