Grasshopper Reviews

About Grasshopper

Grasshopper is a cloud-based virtual phone service that helps small to midsize enterprises establish communication with customers through local and toll-free numbers. It provides several modules, including call forwarding,...

4.2

Browse Grasshopper Reviews

Diana
Diana
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 26/4/2019

Grasshopper allows our small business to have a professional phone presence and never miss a...

It's been easy to use and has saved us a lot of money by not having someone to staff a phone when there isn't a need to have a person on site. The cost is very reasonable and it's completely transparent to customers.

Pros

Grasshopper allows us to manage calls with a lot of flexibility. Whether we're at our business or out and about, the customer never knows. We can assign different people to handle different types of calls, we can accept text inquiries, and we can be available for calls whatever hours we want, up to 24/7.

Cons

It can take a little longer that I'd like for customers to get through, since they have to wait for Grasshopper to answer, listen to the greeting, put in an extension, and then wait for the call to forward. This is a minimal issue though in comparison to the alternative.

Alexandra
Alexandra

Reviewed on 25/11/2015

Grasshopper is an Amazing Tool for Entrepreneurs

We've been using Grasshopper since 2013 and it's been a wonderful tool. You know your software is great when you don't actually spend any time thinking about it and it just works. Support is amazing, but I hardly ever have to use it because we never have any problems. We just opened up our third Grasshopper account for our consulting firm, and other manufacturing company.

Our favorite things about Grasshopper is that there are only the flat costs, instead of per user costs. Our business works with many independent professionals, ( ie our dedicated IT person is also a small business owner) and we needed to be able to give people their own extensions so our customers could reach out to them directly, but still under the umbrella and safety of our business. Grasshopper makes it really easy to do that, keeping us professional and our customers satisfied. I would hate to have to pay for 13 extensions, when I really only need 7 users, but with other systems, for every email you add on, you have to pay for that user.

You also only pay for what you use or your plan, so you don't have to break the bank. We don't take an excess amount of calls to our office, mostly email, so you only have to spend a little, you really get a lot. You can pay by the minute (which we choose to do based on our fluctuating call patterns) or you can buy a bulk minute plan, which is incredibly competitive in price. The call quality is absolutely amazing, because Grasshopper runs over traditional phone lines and not VOIP. This allows you as a business owner to run a cloud based system, but get all the benefits of landline quality.

If you're a business of 1 and want to sound more professional, Grasshopper is the best way to do it. You can set up multiple extensions (press 1 for sales, 2 for support) even if they all forward to the same place. It's also perfect if you're like our business, where you require not a lot of talk time, but several departments and extensions to be able to suit your customer needs because of contractors on your team. I definitely recommend this to anyone who has large contractor teams that work on several projects together regularly and need to delegate some responsibility.

Whether you're a solopreneur, a small business, or even a large business, Grasshopper allows you to take your business anywhere, any time, without problems. It's easy, affordable, and get's the job done well.

Pros

Grasshopper gets it done right. It's incredibly affordable for letting your business have a professional line without breaking the bank and there's never a call quality issue. You can also choose a vanity number which is a huge bonus (100% of my recommendations to others for Grasshopper get a vanity number.) Biggest perks include:

*No per user cost - only pay for what you use, or buy a larger plan if you talk a lot
*Create a ton of extensions
*Mobile App is really helpful - you can dial out using your vanity number
*Voicemails delivered to your inbox or listed to them over the mobile app
*Call screening (personal favorite, so I can truly decide if I want to take that call or not!)
*Time Zone setup for users that are maybe on a different coast then you (we use this currently)

Cons

Lack of integration with CRM. Other CRM tools often an auto dialer that allows you to associate calls with leads and so forth, and I think this would add a lot of value if it were added. Also, no local vanity numbers. Wish regulatory fees were a bit lower but can't do too much about that.

Lastly, not really a con, but when you sign up, you need to call and ask them to upgrade you to the advanced user interface. There is no extra cost, but this is the you really need to make your life easier.

Response from GoTo

Hi there,

Thanks so much for leaving such a thorough review! We appreciate your honest feedback, and love having you as a customer. :)

- Mary

Replied 30/11/2015
Lex

Reviewed on 12/10/2020

Better price, more feature options are out there

If you just need basic phone features, it's fine.

If you business grows, you will soon find it too limiting.

What disappoints me the most is, Grasshopper doesn't have a way to export or backup your text messages. The rep also claims they delete all of my text messages history immediately after I ported out my numbers. I only ported 2 of my 3 numbers out 5 days ago and i can no longer find the text message history. From the software design stand point, there is certainly no need to delete your customers text message history immediately after they ported their numbers. Also text messages take up negligible amount of storage space. It just doesn't make sense.

Pros

The price is affordable and it's easy to discover this company because their ads are everywhere on google. Among the competitor ads, Grasshopper offers good value and covers all the basic features.

But there are other better value system out there, but it will take a while for you to find them because they don't spend nearly as much advertising dollars.

Cons

Grasshopper is definitely a company that puts quite a bit of money on marketing. You find their google ads when you search for VOIP phone solution. I wish they had put the money into feature development instead.

I recently switched to TalkRoute because Grasshopper is missing:

Matt
Matt
  • Industry: Motion Pictures & Film

Reviewed on 6/12/2018

Good for price but still needs more features

Overall experience with Grasshopper is good. I've used their service for over 2 years now and I do still consider other options, but always stick with Grasshopper due to their ease of use and competitive price.

Pros

It's competitively priced and easy to use.
As for functionality, it connects with whatever other phone line you have through forwarding and it also sends an email with a voice message recording.
It's straight forward and works well.

Cons

The biggest issue is that when a call comes in on the toll-free number, the phone you've got it linked to will show the call as your toll free number rather than whoever is calling.
It would be great to simply have a caller ID.

Also, it needs texting service. Perhaps a toll free number can't work with texting but in case it can, than Grasshopper needs to get on board with it.

• Industry: Fund-Raising

Reviewed on 4/12/2018

Makes managing a virtual team's phones sound like a fortune 500

When you call my Grasshopper number, it sounds like it's a fortune 500 company, but really Grasshopper is letting me use the same phone extension, but point it to any number I want. My virtual team can point their extensions to their cell phones. Traveling in Europe? No-one has to know! And getting my voicemail via email is a game-changer. The dashboard for managing everything is easy and intuitive. I can't tell you about customer service - because I've NEVER needed it. Doesn't that just say it all?

Pros

Lots of great features, but especially being able to manage where and how phone numbers are forwarded - while the customer-facing experience remains seamless.

Cons

It's tough to come up with something, especially now that they've added a phone app. I can't think of anything I don't like.

Blake

Reviewed on 3/11/2022

It’s fine- not the golden ticket

Responsive customer support, but not willing to take your issue back to the internal team to see if it’s a viable issue to warrant resolution.

Pros

Call blasting, business open/close hours, instant response, ability to customize voicemail messages.

Cons

Price is not the advertised $26. I pay $55 with the $10 call blasting add on. Lots of fees and the text messaging rarely works; I get an error message 50% of the time when sending messages or photos to customers. Big issue that they are not looking at fixing.

Google Voice and RingEX

Reasons for Choosing Grasshopper

Dialpad was extremely intricate, hundreds of features that were unnecessary and lots had bugs. They were trying to implement too much; therefore losing quality.

Dialpad
Janet
Janet

Reviewed on 15/5/2018

It really makes my small business operate so much more smoother. I can take calls remotely.

Professional image to my customers and those I serve. Transferring phone calls to anyone on my team at any time, or to any phone line I will be working at. Very cool.

Pros

I like having a professional and high tech phone service, even though my company is very small. My partner and I work from separate home offices, yet we can be connected as if we were in the same office. It gives our small business a great professional image with customers.

Cons

I wish there was an automated outgoing call service. Maybe they could add that in the future? Also, maybe there is a way and I'm not aware of it, but it would be nice if calls could roll over to the next extension, if the other one was busy.

Bryan
Bryan

Reviewed on 2/7/2018

The best choice for an 800 number in a modern small business

Pros

No hardware required, no complex setup. Easy routing of multiple extensions to different employee numbers. Customizable greetings and hold music. Employees can hear the number before accepting the call and choose to send to voicemail.

Cons

The web interface is a little dated looking, but it isn't needed often. I'd like to see live reports and charts in the web interface, rather than having to run and download the reports as CSVs.

Response from GoTo

Thanks for the 5 star review Bryan! Glad to hear Grasshopper is working out so well for you and great suggestion! Will share with our product team.

Replied 31/7/2018
Oretta
Oretta

Reviewed on 15/5/2018

I've had Grasshopper for several years. It's one of the best investments I've made into my...

The software is easy to use and definitely worth the money. I can't imagine running my business without it.

Pros

I love the professional presence it creates for my business. I have had numerous clients compliment how professional the business presents itself. The biggest plus for me is the way my notifications are set up. When a call comes in, I'm able to decide at that moment if I need take it or let it go to voicemail.

Cons

The biggest con for me is setting up the voicemail for the different mail boxes. Somehow I always end up changing the main greeting.

Rodrigo
Rodrigo
  • Industry: Biotechnology

Reviewed on 8/4/2020

Great solution for virtual phone systems

We've been successfully using Grasshopper from the last 2 years and it works as expected.

Pros

It works as expected and as promised. With Grasshopper your company can setup the main phone number of your company as professional level phone system, with recorded messages, phone directory, voicemail, message transcription and call forwarding to personal phones.

Cons

I really miss more features on the phone directly, like a feature to name the extensions by user name. With the current features it's needed to type letters of the name of the person you're searching in the directory.

Reviewed on 1/2/2023

Poor App Quality lead to outgrowing the product, wasn't able to successfully port out my...

Between Nov 20th 2022 and Feb 1st 2023 I have been trying to port out our phone numbers from Grasshopper (per their instructions) to the new carrier but had to abandon one of our numbers because after over 2 months there has been no forward movement. Support on top of being unhelpful referred me to their underlying carrier Bandwidth.com who flatout rejected (as they should) my inquiry since we are not a direct customer of theirs (Grasshopper is)

Pros

It was cheap, like really really low cost compared to competitors

Cons

Desktop and Mobile apps were unreliable leading to people to internally to use call forwarding, call forwarding adds extra delay and negatively affects call quality. There's no CRM integrations. Support is useless, references to a support portal (to see current/past inquires) is referenced but no long available to account holders. Security is lax (all I need is a 4 digit PIN to make any changes to the account)

Aircall

Reasons for Switching to Grasshopper

I switched from Grasshopper to AirCall, they provide a fantastic feature rich product with very deep CRM integrations and helpful support staff. Quite literally I am only writing this review because I had such a poor experience with Grasshopper in the last few years (and especially since deciding to switch carriers). I do not recommend Grasshopper, even if the price is right, right now. If you out grow them, be warned, you may lose your phone numbers.
Marion
  • Industry: Printing

Reviewed on 2/12/2021

It works but nothing amazing

I use it as the main line for my business but it immediately filters into google voice numbers for each staff member. If Google provided that option, I would not need Grasshopper at all. That said, it works just fine and I have no complaints about the service. I don't mind that I pay for it.

Pros

Haven't experienced a single dropped call, so at the very minimum, it does that perfectly. It allows me to setup an easy phone switching system where callers can punch in the number of the person they want to speak to very easily.

Cons

Outside of the switchboard option, the features are few and far between. I have a Google Voice number that gives me everything else that I need from Grasshopper but is free.

Reviewed on 6/5/2022

Amazing software for the modern day office phone solution

Pros

Overall this product offers great and easy call routing to all users within our company. Not only has it saved on extremely high in-office phone costs it allows users to manage their calls from their cells/computers. The customer service is also fantastic. I once made mistake when adding and removing an employee, after calling in not only did they resolve the issue but they also fixed it without me having to do it myself. That shows me a high level of training that I respect. Teaching someone what to do, but also acknowledging there time is a high PRO in my books for this modern age.

Cons

The only cons were getting my office line released from our previous carrier. This took much longer than expected. Also, some of the online instructions were a bit vague. BUT if you called in they helped out great over the phone.

• Industry: Furniture

Reviewed on 17/2/2018

Straightforward, simple, and cost-effective way to juggle and route multiple phone numbers for...

We use it to run a "website question" 1-800 phone number that routes to different stores and remote individuals at different times with multiple options for service.

Pros

It's extremely easy to use and very affordable. You can setup custom phone numbers and create routing between all kinds of phones. It gives the appearance of having a more sophisticated setup than you really do. You can setup holding music, routing rules, voicemail, multiple users, and more between office phone systems, personal cell phones, and everything in-between. You can set hours for each number and routing rules such as order, how many times to ring, and what numbers ring to which numbers.

Cons

The only thing I wish it could do that it doesn't is record calls, and that is a big downside to me. A nice to have feature might be being able to assign calls to specific users. Otherwise, it handles everything I need very well.

Katherine

Reviewed on 6/12/2020

Great to not have to carry Two Phones! And access to one phone line from multiple devices!

Overall, it's a great option for our business since we work remotely and it's incredible for us to be able to all access the same business line whenever needed. I do wish we had less errors than we have experienced though. Still the best option we have found though. Customer service is quick and helpful, but they haven't always been able to fix the issues I have had.

Pros

I was tired of carrying my personal phone and my business phone. Now I have access to both phone lines on one mobile device. Even better is I can access the business line from all of my devices! And even better than that is my business partner can also access the same business line from their mobile devices as well!

Cons

It has a lot of great features, but seems to have quite a few glitches as well. We have missing text messages on occasion and random errors like that.

Ron
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Reviewed on 23/12/2019

Easy to use, convenient, and best customer service I've ever experienced

Our main business line and my personal business line are both through Grasshopper, and all of our calls are handled easily and efficiently. Very satisfied with our VOIP, and have no desire to change anytime soon.

Pros

SIMPLE. It's an easy-to-use VOIP that has plenty of features that are helpful and very user-friendly. Voicemail transcripts and auto-text responses make it a breeze to deal with missed calls, and the mobile app is well-designed and functional. My entire staff uses it seamlessly.

Their customer service is TOP NOTCH. Every time I call in, they are incredibly professional, knowledgeable and helpful. Response time is excellent. Quite possibly some of the best customer service I've experienced with a software company.

Cons

Only one minor gripe: the current feature for custom call scheduling is a bit dysfunctional, and requires manually setting hours. Would not be so bad, except when I have to do it for 5 employees, it can take a bit of time. A "save call schedule" feature would be extremely useful here, to then just apply to the others.

Kendra

Reviewed on 4/12/2019

Your office on the go! Answer anywhere!

Pretty good product overall. Would recommend for small businesses. Easy to keep track of and follow up on phone calls or messages. Could improve some functionality for offices with more than one extension number and easier communication between the two. Great for smaller call volume use and offices on the go.

Pros

Great option for small businesses. Easily forward calls from the office number to your cell phone... work on the go! Easy for multiple users on a business line, can leave notes on messages for others to see, and can get the messages via email. Great features! Love that you're not tied to the desk and the phone line.

Cons

Wish you could transfer calls from one line/user to another. Have to press 1 in order to accept a call, otherwise whenever multiple calls ring it it forwards to personal voicemail. Limited with regards to multi-person businesses or office numbers. Would be great if the software blocked spam calls or had a quick option to block numbers in the future. Should never go to anything personal... this should be an option not a default.

Ryan
  • Industry: Warehousing

Reviewed on 16/12/2021

Small Business Phone Solution

Overall we have been using grasshopper for over 5 years and the cost savings over an ISP and internal phone system has been great for the company. Web view to setup users and extensions make setup and changes a breeze that anyone can do it.

Pros

As a small business employee with mostly working remote the ability to use our cell phone for work and keep the calls separated has been great. The voice announce feature when a call comes through so you know it is a business call verse personal is awesome.

Cons

None that I can think of at this time. That must be good.

Vivian

Reviewed on 23/7/2019

Grasshopper Business Phone service

Overall the system is easy to operate. Good quality sound and a great value!

Pros

Easy to set up system. Flexible, easy to use system and to forward calls and access voice mail. Simple for clients to navigate system to contact individual persons with in the company.

Cons

The function of forwarding calls to individuals cell phones is not as clear as it could be to the end user as the caller ID only comes through as the company name or the recipients name since the call originated to the company, then the individual. The system does not track the caller ID of the actual caller when the call is forwarded so you are answering blind.

Kevin
  • Industry: Legal Services

Reviewed on 10/2/2019

Love it.

The price for establishing or transferring a toll free or local number is a bargain once you realize that you now have a switchboard that will route your calls to land lines or cell phones. You can create or use one of their professional voices (extra fee) to create you main message and amessage for each of the extensions that you establish. You can also receive and route incoming faxes. Call notifications can be directed to specific email addresses. You can also opt for voicemail transcription delivered via email. Extremely useful and time saving for a small business.

Pros

Value, flexibility, features, mobile app.

Cons

The setup is a little clunky, but the end result bid worth the learning curve.

Reviewed on 14/5/2019

Perfect for One Person

Only one of us is using it - and it works with only one person. it gets too complicated if you try and add a second person to the number. VERY CONFUSING SOFTWARE

Pros

I like how they transcribe voicemails and send them to your email. If I'm in a meeting and get a missed call and voicemail, I can just read the email and it will tell me what the caller said. I also like how you can manage the ring time.

Cons

The customer service is awful. They made me feel so dumb for not knowing how to setup a voicemail. Also, you have to prerecord or call into a number to record your voicemail, you can't do it on the app. It also is a pain because if someone calls you and you pick up, it is an automated person asking if you want to accept or decline... it just seems like a waste of time.

Nextiva
Earlene
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Reviewed on 21/8/2018

Grasshopper

My experience is very positive. I liked when they added text messaging. Easy to receive and distinguish calls. They also provided a toll free number and secondary local number.

Pros

Grasshopper is a software product that distinguishes your personal calls from your business call. I like that I can see customers so I may always accept their call.

Cons

I have extensions on my phone. Sometimes the customer will skip over my extension which is one for scheduling. My partner gets scheduling calls, it appears that the customers that the customers don’t listen to the greeting.

Response from GoTo

Thanks for the great review, Earlene! If your caller ever ends up at the wrong extension you can always transfer them back to the right one. Just press ## on the call and follow the steps to transfer a call.

Replied 27/8/2018
Leah
  • Industry: Legal Services

Reviewed on 17/5/2020

Cheaper options available

Over all ok but sometimes calls are dropped and dial out is delayed. Missed calls may be recorded, sometimes not.

Pros

Local number can be forwarded, use app on phone, texting, auto response, different extensions, novelty number are all good.

Cons

I started using the product and initially the basic package allowed for over 100 exemptions, now it’s limited. They charge in USD so with exchange rate the product is too expensive. Found free software alternative with almost same functionality. Will be switching.

Bill
  • Industry: Security & Investigations

Reviewed on 16/5/2018

It has been a wonderful experience using the service.

Ease of use and availability for the whole staff to work on it

Pros

We use multiple lines and numbers for our different clients to call in. We have to adjust the answering service portion frequently and we can do it with ease. We have to use a client hotline as well as the guest's hotline and we can manage them remotely while the dispatch team can also from an offsite location.

Cons

It would also be nice to have the dial by name directory set up with name prompts the same as the line extensions.

Debra
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Reviewed on 21/11/2022

Is your voicemail system buggy? Try Grasshopper

Positive. The best feature by far for us is the pro voice talent I can easily hire to record the business outgoing message.

Pros

We are a service business and spend time on client sites. We require a stable voicemail service to capture customer calls. Grasshopper does a nice job.

Cons

I’d like to pay for use by the number of calls they receive. Our business has cycles where it gets more calls at different times of the year