About Deputy

Deputy is a cloud-based human resource management (HRM) solution that provides employee management and scheduling functionalities. Deputy's rostering application can calculate overtime and provide capabilities to schedule staff....

Browse Deputy Reviews

Shari
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 4/11/2021

Best Scheduling App Ever

Pros

I've used the software for over a year now and it makes my day to day life as an independent contractor a breeze. I can grab shifts posted by the managers shortly after they're published and can offer them up or swap them easily if I can no longer work a taken shift. I can request for leave, take a break during the scheduled shift and also view how many hours in total I have for the day, week, month in the schedule section. Their app for phones also allows you to grab, offer and view shifts and you can clock in or out on it. I especially love the seconds feature and the app being able to show me the time in my work's time zone VS mine so I'm never confused.

Cons

It's a little slow when grabbing shifts, like you are unable to just click/accept shifts back-to-back and have to wait like 30 seconds per accepted shift for the page to load and show that you've accepted your shift. There sometimes is also a lag when starting/ending a shift and you have to ensure it was clicked properly or shows you've started/ended after the page finishes loading or you could end up being late or stay clocked in.

George

Reviewed on 26/8/2021

Easy Time clock solution

Easy to use.

Pros

The mobile app and web client make it easy for employees too clock in and out. You can also establish boundaries so that mobile app users are not clocking in away from the work location. Management can easily be notifies who is on time, late, or did not clock in at all.

Cons

It's not free but it definitely is worth it's value if you are paying for other time clock software.

Susan
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Reviewed on 16/12/2022

Zero Customer Support

Their customer service is non existent. The platform is slow and often glitches. We will be moving across to a different platform as quickly as possible.

Pros

The rostering system mostly works well, when it's not glitching.

Cons

There is zero customer support. When things go wrong (and they often do) you have to find your own way out of it.They charge you for staff that you aren't even payrolling. We were told if we archived these staff, we wouldn't have to pay for them. But then we found out that's not true, and were charged for them anyway.Their prices have also increasing, despite customer services decreasing to a point where this system is no longer a viable option.

Top Deputy Alternatives

Julie

Reviewed on 18/1/2022

Worst customer support ever

Pros

It is easy to schedule, roster available on smart phone and has a time clock system so employee work hours can be tracked and monitored.

Cons

If a software is going to suit many businesses (as advertised) the company needs to be open to discussions with all types of businesses so that the software is adaptable. This does not happen.

The customer support is atrocious. You get a robot answering then a online chat forum. It is time consuming to interact with this forum - they waste time repeating your questions, responses are very condescending, they have no power to make any changes.
For example, I have for the last month requested that someone from the country I live in and is involved with the software design(and therefore have the ability to make changes) contact me (?telephone) I have finally been told that even if they call they will not be from within the country I live in - and therefore are just one level higher in the overseas call centre.
One frustrating example - the time clock system is an important part of any rostering system - and they have just issued a new feature where staff can clock in and out from home, without any consultation or ability to turn off this feature. While this may suit some businesses it does not suit mine and I am sure I am not alone. Unfortunately this leaves the door open for staff to be fraudulent and defeats the purpose of a clock on/clock off system.

Jordyn
  • Industry: Food Production

Reviewed on 10/10/2022

Deputy from an employee point of view

My overall experience with deputy has been very positive and I would highly recommend people to use!
It’s made working life much easier and everyone knows where they stand with everything !

Pros

The features that I found most beneficial are the time sheets that automatically update after every shift has been fantastic I can see exactly what I’m being paid and when and what shifts I’m due to be paid for which I like the most ! I also like that I can clock on and off from my phone! I also like that I can see my shift schedule and see who I’m on shift with!
I easily think it’s improved my work life and has benefited me so much and made everything so much more efficient!

Cons

The only thing that I think the app has an issue with is that it sometimes glitches when logging on and off and doesn’t take the picture to log off so leaves you signed in.
So to improve I would remove the taking the picture so it’s just a button that you clock in and out with so it doesn’t glitch!

Anthony
  • Industry: Publishing

Reviewed on 27/1/2017

Reduce scheduling time impact on your business

We have over 170 staff in 6 regions nationally. We are looking to expand this to our international teams.
We operate event merchandising at venues all around the country, however, we cannot install fixed hardware to have our team clock on and off for their shifts.
The Deputy experience for our team created greater transparency and opened up a more robust communication culture.
We operate under 3 awards across the business based on location and our team can work in multiple locations, so we needed to develop a script to understand how all the awards needed to interact with each other. Thanks to the thorough API library we were able to completely customize scripts and reports to cut our timesheet approval experience to less than 1 hour on a Monday and the payroll team was able to free up 2 entire days from their week.
Our rostering team has been able to reduce the time working on roster production to 2 days and maintenance of the rosters has become a much more simple task - this can often be done in the app!
Deputy has allowed our business to scale without increasing our scheduling workload. We have expanded our operations team to focus on our business practices and service delivery and because Deputy is part of our team now we have far greater visibility than ever before without additional time invested.

Pros

No fixed hardware required
Scalability
News Feed has our team communicating more openly
Custom Reporting
Award Interpretation - Once scripts written (we run with 3 different awards)
App Experience
Quick Payroll/Timesheet Approvals

Cons

Integration of Enterprise Version with Basic Version - Particularly Locations do not pick up the same address fields.

Reviewed on 19/8/2022

Easy to use scheduling system

Easy to use as an employee and looks easy to use from an admin perspective. Never had a problem with my timesheets!

Pros

As an employee who has used this for 5+ years this is an easy program to use within a small business. I clock in, clock out and can edit my time if needed. I can offer shifts up and accept or look for more all within the app. I like being notified when new shifts are offered as well via text and can accept them without even opening the app. I wish the calendar in deputy would sync with my apple calendar so I didn’t have to manually enter my deputy shifts into it.

Emre

Reviewed on 4/9/2022

Wonderful

Pros

Overall I'm stunned! very easy to use. The price is cheap compared to its counterparts and the overall quality is great.

Cons

It's almost impossible to have a bad experience because their customer service is active and available 24 hours a day.

Elizabeth
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Reviewed on 8/11/2022

Great for us - and we have 24 hour ops and 3 physical locations!

Pros

I really liked the look of the app, and ability to drag and drop folks into the schedule. The integration with BambooHR was a requirement for me, and Deputy is one of the few that integrates directly. I really like the communication feature - I can send out announcements and force my staff to "acknowledge" it, so I can prove/know that someone read something. Love that, as we are 24/7 operations across three locations (four if you count my remote staff member in Japan). What else would I do? I cannot be everywhere at once.

Cons

It took me a bit to learn how it all worked - but the Deputy staff has some intense, regular training opportunities and a really responsive tech support team, so if I can do it, you can.

Philippe
  • Industry: Legislative Office

Reviewed on 23/1/2023

Good scheduling software

Pros

It is one of the best scheduling software, easy to use and secure for every staff member and has the possibility to change the start time of a shift which is also useful because sometimes you forget to log in and it can be adjusted.

Cons

It works much better on Apple devices than on Android devices

Nigel
  • Industry: Restaurants

Reviewed on 30/4/2017

Business Critical - Couldn't be without it!

Pros

We love the fact that it gives both the manager and the staff the flexibility to control their shifts and it gives the employees a sense of ownership - they are almost responsible for their own time management.

Not to mention all the flexibility it gives the management of building shift templates, managing leave and the especially the time sheets (now that paid breaks are a feature) it makes payroll preperation a breeze. (We haven't yet used the Xero payroll integration and the Xero payroll has not yet been rolled out in our country, but we are looking forward to it).

As a busy little cafe we have also used the task management feature to cover off all of our daily / weekly food safety requirements which makes it much easier for everyone to input their duties and the simple fact is - if its easier, it gets done.

Before moving to Deputy we tried a few other products but this one seemed to suit us best and one of the main reasons we moved is because we felt it offered the best value for money especially as our staff numbers change all the time.

We have recently expanded our operation to second location and without Deputy the shift management could have been hectic. Having this system already in place just meant that we had one less thing to worry about.

Deputy has become an integral part of our daily routine.

Cons

As mentioned earlier we are a busy little cafe so we spend most of our time on the shop floor, whilst Deputy has a fantastic mobile options and visibility, as managers it would be great if had more flexibility to "approve" more employees requests on the go like shift swaps and leave applications.

Also I found that the employees with Android phones seem to have a few bugs still hiding away in their app and they also don't yet have access to the task manager on their phones.

However, these are fairly small issues in the great scheme of things and based on the development rate and technical support I have received to date I have no doubt that these are already in the development pipeline. We look forward to the updates as they roll out.

Jenna
  • Industry: Veterinary

Reviewed on 12/1/2020

The Daily Users thoughts on this Time Sheet Tracker

Overall great feelings towards this product. It is easy to use. Makes sense to the new employees, makes keeping track of my time so much better.

Pros

I love the daily photos your staff have to take. I love that it flows so well with Gusto. I truly enjoy how easy it is to clock in and out on a daily basis. It has a very friendly user format. I love how easy it is to edit the time when I screw up and forget to clock back in after my break. I like how I can see who is working on what days. It helps with planning ahead with the schedule.

Cons

I truly get frustrated when it automatically adds your 30 min break if you did not take one. Sometimes it can be hard to get the picture taken to clock in and out. I have had to restart the device a few times, and when you are done for the day and need to get going, that can be very frustrating. It would be a nice feature to see when other staff are asking for time off, so I do not bother asking for that time off as well if I do not need to take that same time off.

Stacy
  • Industry: Restaurants

Reviewed on 20/6/2018

Fantastic!

This software has helped our company specifically with the scheduling aspect of our business. It saves the company scheduler time, helps us keep the time off requests and scheduling organized, and has made it much easier to communicate the work schedule to our employees. After trying the free trial, we knew it was the right software for us.

Pros

We went from using spreadsheets and a calendar planner to using Deputy. When we were comparing scheduling programs, Deputy really grabbed our attention because of its look, ease of use, and price. We have been using it solely now for almost 2 months and it has proven to be a dependable, trustworthy service. We no longer need the planner to keep track of time-off requests. Now they go right into Deputy. It is very easy to set up and customize - Deputy offers to do this for you, but we did it on our own. I am a self-learner and was able to gain much insight on the program after watching a tutorial video. Deputy's customer support has been dependable. I was able to get my questions answered during a scheduled video call with a customer support representative. I've also emailed them and they've responded within 24 hours, and I've used their live chat. My employees like it, and they appreciate how it automatically adds their shifts to their phone calendar. Overall, I've had a very positive experience with Deputy. I highly recommend giving them a try!

Cons

I've sat here for a long time trying to come up with a complaint about the software. At this time, I have no complaints about the product but will report back if something comes up the longer we use it.

Lara
  • Industry: Facilities Services

Reviewed on 10/10/2019

Couldn't survive without Deputy

As a company that provides rapid response (24/7) labour hire to Mines & Industrial clients, it is essential that we can advise staff of their shifts quickly & accurately. We can have up to 3 roster changes per day (for 22 staff) and are currently saving up to 11hrs per week in admin time just by adopting the rostering & timesheet features of Deputy. Couldn't survive without this program!

Pros

Easy to set-up with no costly IT service visits. Being a free app removes any hesitation by staff to adopt this software. Can immediately advise staff of last minute shift changes and they can advise of their availability to HR (preventing any clashes)

Cons

Don't seem to be able to approve timesheets from HR mobile phone app anymore.

Robert
  • Industry: Government Administration

Reviewed on 24/4/2017

Best Online Scheduling / Time Card System

Working for a City Government Organization, we installed deputy.com to replace our outdated and expensive Kronos solution. Deputy being a cloud based system, helped us to deploy and test more rapidly then installing a local on premise solution. The Integration staff and Owner of the company were involved with our go live and were amazing. They continue to speak with us and help us though issues that come up. Deputy.com is well worth the money and they integrate with most major cloud based payroll systems. Their IPAD kiosk app for clock-in/out is the best out of all the other company demos we tried as well. Easy to deploy and manage and they continue to work out bugs and issues as they come up. They are very quick to acknowledge a problem and work on a fix.

Pros

iPAD Kiosks
iPhone/Droid Apps for staff
Cloud based
Beautiful Interface to schedule
Tons of features

Cons

Works best in Google Chrome. IE and Firefox is buggy.
Automatic features that affect time entry don't always work as described.
No formal training documentation, only help web guides.

Response from Deputy

Thanks for your awesome feedback Robert! We love hearing success stories like yours! Never hesitate to reach out to our team for help in the future and happy scheduling.

- Team Deputy

Replied 27/4/2017
Anish

Reviewed on 2/5/2019

Deputy

Smooth and good experience

Pros

The fact that its very easy to customize and assign shifts to appropriate staff who are then able to receive notifications on their phones and PCs.
Deputy's customer support is also quite good.

Cons

I found that navigating at first through the web based application tends to be a bit difficult and it also does't offer a range of colors for tagging different shifts.

Paycor

Paycor

Reasons for Switching to Deputy

Better customer support response
Helen

Reviewed on 7/4/2017

CountryOptusStore

We were using excel spread sheet, manually calculating hours and trying to juggle shift changes. Deputy has changed everything. Copy / paste roster templates, Swap shifts, Auto-calculation of hours, notifications when team members are unavailable - the list goes on.
I recommend this product to anyone I know that runs a business with multiple staff members.

Pros

Ease of copying roster into the timeframe and allocating appropriate team members

Cons

Export to Xero timesheets has to be altered manually in Xero for each line as details of type of hours worked does not match Xero.
Annual / leave days taken and processed through Deputy transfer onto Xero payslips as individual days. So if a team member takes a week off, instead of it being 1 line of annual leave @ 38hours - it comes up as individual lines at whichever shift hour allocations it was originally for. Makes for an overly long payslip!!!

Laura
  • Industry: Veterinary

Reviewed on 5/12/2018

Deputy Staff Schedule Module

Pros

Deputy provides a fully functional scheduling module we use for our Veterinary practice. Our current software did not include time clock/ scheduling features. Deputy is a user friendly program that handles our paid time off requests, time clock functions, and work area assignments. Deputy has advanced security features such as photo capture at clock in, location of clock in, and password protected access. While providing these features, it also is user friendly.

Cons

Customer support is typically via chat, and their hours of operation do not always reflect US time zones.

• Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 1/9/2020

Absolutely love Deputy!

Absolutely wouldn't use anything else!

Pros

So easy to roster people in appropriate areas, ensure you have the right amount of cover, and let everyone knows what their shifts are. Logging on and off shift is quick and easy, and the phone app is wonderful for offering out shifts to be covered at short notice.

Cons

24/7 online help is good, sometimes there are communication difficulties because of the intricacies of the Australian awards system. However, having an account manager I can book a remote training or consultation session with is awesome!!

Katherine

Reviewed on 17/4/2018

We switched to Deputy from hand-writing everything - SUCH a time saver and SO easy to use!

Pros

The thing I love most is that everything's in one place - Schedules, Requests Off, Time Sheets, News Feed, Task Lists, Contact Info..everything! It makes organizing our team of 30+ employees WAY easier than when we did everything by hand. No more emailing or texting out schedules, Deputy does it for us! You can access it from anywhere, which is really helpful to everyone on our team!

Cons

If I could, I would love a way to decide which notifications I'd like to receive. My position doesn't require me to personally track employees hours on a daily basis, so I don't really NEED to know if someone's running late, but I like to be notified if there are post updates in the news feed.

jimi
  • Industry: Music

Reviewed on 18/4/2017

Deputy review

I manage a business that employs 20 staff and I find Deputy the perfect online service/ app that keeps everything together on the rota. Multi-functioning and great for comms with the team, exporting to our payroll and keeping track of holiday. Would definitely recommend.

Pros

Instant shift sharing, staff can swap easily, real time updates, clocking in/ out via smart phone. Its really good software.

Cons

Sometimes exporting to Xero can be problematic, customer service with this issue has been slightly lack lustre, so it required a bit of fiddling.

Response from Deputy

Thanks for your awesome feedback Jimi! We love hearing success stories like yours! Never hesitate to reach out to our team for help in the future and happy scheduling.

- Team Deputy

Replied 27/4/2017
Austin

Reviewed on 19/12/2018

Deputy, An Easy Scheduling Solution

I've been using Deputy for 6 months and it's taken a bit of getting used to but has been worth it. Deputy allows me to view which employees are signed in, track hours, change hours, and see where each employee is working on the job site. It also allows me to assign employees to their respective work areas and lets their managers see which hours have been worked. We don't assign pay rates, but use it more for the hour tracking, which it does very well. If you're a small business who is looking for a manageable solution to tracking your employees' hours, look no further than Deputy. The team is also very willing and able to help with any questions you may have and are always looking for suggestions to improve their system.

Pros

Deputy allows me to track all the employees and easily view which hours were worked on which day and by whom.

Cons

Deputy took a bit of learning to get used to. Scheduling employees and rounding times could use a bit of refining.

JENNIFER
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 17/4/2018

Quality app that is easy to set-up and use. Customer service is ready to assist any time.

I save time scheduling employees. Employees are able to receive their schedule as soon as it's publish. I am able to set daily lists for tasks to completed during every shift plus assign additional tasks as needed.

Pros

It was simple to set-up the account and to use it afterwards. It is easy to show the employees how to use. The news feed is great to communicate to all my employees at one time.

Cons

The task lists are tricky to set-up, especially the lists that come up when employees clock out. I was given an address to go to when creating the clocking out questions but would prefer a direct link on the website so I wouldn't have to spend time searching for the web address

Rachel
  • Industry: Facilities Services

Reviewed on 20/4/2018

Saved us money and meets our needs with a few quirks

Large cost savings over the product we were using with similar features.

Pros

It's a easy to use scheduling software at an amazing price. Additionally, the ability to sink with google calendar has helped our staff to stay on track with their shifts. We also like the training features which allow us to select which employees can work in which areas without having them be totally separated in the system.

Cons

Notifications. There's no way to adjust individual notification settings, so your mailbox is flooded with emails.

The constant presence of features you don't have access to in an effort to up-sell.

Barbara
  • Industry: Farming

Reviewed on 20/12/2017

Love this app

Already explained. This is redundant

Pros

Easy to use, integrates easily with Gusto our payroll app. Love the News Feed for reaching out and connecting with our team. Support is easy and very helpful.

Cons

Would like to load schedule and have a button that says copy ahead XX weeks. Would like comments to be easier - a pop up when data is entered by the employee on the administrator's screen would be nice.