About Float

Float is a collaborative resource management software for real-time project planning and task scheduling. Features include an intuitive interface, drag-and-drop features, keyboard shortcuts, reports, and analytics, and editing...

4.2

Browse Float Reviews

1,388 of 1,388 reviews
Marco
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Reviewed on 30/7/2019

Unbeatable task and team manager

Pros

Easy, Easy, Easy! Uncluttered and extremely intuitive user interface. Basically no learning curve, even for unexperienced users. Despite its clean and tidy interface, Float is still ideal for enterprise use. It sports a very powerful team manager platform, perfect to assign and follow tasks, instantly spreading any update with team members. Automatic reports allow to keep under control time consumption.

Cons

Float run in cloud, there's no possibility to implement a self hosted solution.

Zoho Projects

Reasons for Switching to Float

User interface cleaner and easier.
Adam

Reviewed on 27/6/2022

Solid Product

It's helped us grow a lot and help more people. It's really helped us spend less time doing admin work and more time doing real work and helping people. It takes some getting used to and commitment but it's beautifully designed, intuitive, and a big part of our success.

Pros

How easy it is to use. It's easy to jump in and also complicated enough that you can really use some advanced features.

Cons

There are of course small issues here and there but none worth mentioning at all. It's truly a great product and really helpful.

Response from Float

Thank you for your review, Adam! Excellent to hear that Float is saving you time on admin work so you can do more of what you do best!

Hazel Ann
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 10/12/2022

Float Review

Pros

Everything. It's a big help when it comes to scheduling and time tracking.

Cons

None, so far. I've been using this since I started work and it's really great.

Top Float Alternatives

Reviewed on 17/1/2019

Float for time management

Problematic - not 100% sure this is floats problem, as it seems designed for the restaurant/service industry, and we are more a agency/service business.

Pros

I like the fact you can filter and search by people and/or project

Cons

I don't like that you cannot see 3months in advance on 1 screen. It's still laggy when scrolling, we have 70 people timesheeted and we have project managers filling this in, they find it cumbersome. The repeating tasks are not well formed, as in if you set a repeating weekly task then want to edit one week to be say 3 days, it won't let you do it.
We have other awkward things around adding contractors or people leaving jobs, it would be nice if Float had more sample data as I think sometimes we uncover usecases they haven't tested for - atleast tested the UX for.
I'd love it to improve, as the last speed improvement they did was a step in the right direction, but more customisation is needed.

Prabhakar
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Reviewed on 27/11/2022

Good

Pros

I am very satisfied to work with float . It is really programmer friendly.

Cons

I think it is enough to work with but may can also add some new features

Shanavas

Reviewed on 15/6/2022

Float review from a project manager perspective

Float has solved issues regarding time allocation and prioritization for me, which is what I really expect from this software.

Pros

I use float to quickly see my and my team's schedule for the day. It gives me an oversight into the entire day's work in a couple of minutes. This is what I like about float

Cons

Logging in time used versus time scheduled can be a bit more streamlined as right now it's a bit difficult to track unless everyone adds in their time log correctly.

Deborah
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Reviewed on 21/6/2022

Float - first month experiences

Great - it helps us to stop working with spreadsheets. It works intuitively and has everything we were looking for in a tool. We compared many tools, and ended up with Float. We are all very happy with it.

Pros

It is great that float offers, in a very intuitive way, a tool that combines everything we need: project management, capacity planning, an overview of the spend budget, a good overview of all deadlines, and hour tracking.

Cons

When you log your hours you cannot see the notes that were added to a task while planning the task.

Response from Float

Thanks for your review, Deborah! Amazing to hear that Float is helping you manage projects, capacity, budgets, and time all in one place!
Great news -- we recently released an update so that notes on scheduled tasks carry over to logged time. Hope that helps!

Heather
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 22/1/2019

Multi disciplinary studio management

Currently managing a team of 9 designers in a multi disciplinary team with 30+ different jobs daily. Tool has worked perfectly well for top line management of workflow and constant changing priorities. Visually easy to understand. Since the recent update the software has performed so much better then expected and has made a massive difference to usability.

Pros

The simple usability of the software. How quick it is to add jobs, extend and move jobs around to different people. Flexible scrolling through the weeks. So easy to set someone up and get started with very minimal training. Report system very useful for monthly reports. For top line project management this is the perfect tool.

Cons

The search bar sometimes doesnt work or show particular jobs on occasion. Search seems to only work within the month you are viewing, rather then showing a job from a previous month. This is intermittent and sometimes works to find what you are looking for when refreshed. Still need to test this after the software update to see if it has been resolved.

Doesn't refresh for designers, so we have updated and moved jobs around and they aren't aware as their float has remained the same, unless they manually refresh the window.

Would be great to see more in depth project management potential, such as uploading briefs, designs and signing them off all on this software.

Beatrice

Reviewed on 9/1/2023

Very good and easy way to manage teams

Pros

Extremely user friendly for all parties involved - super easy to schedule team members on different projects and everyone can have clarity of workload.

Cons

No issues really - so far so good. Features are a bit basic though.

Reshma
  • Industry: Human Resources

Reviewed on 30/12/2022

Great

Pros

It's used for project management and task management

Cons

Additional features can be added for user friendly performance

Roger

Reviewed on 14/8/2020

Development company taking next steps in project management

A very positive experience allowing the company I work for to get better more accurate project plans and financial reports.

Pros

The ease of use as a one stop shop, browser based to allow all the development team (and subsiduary but linked teams) to see important dates like dev complete, bug fix windows, cert windows and release dates.

The ability to quickly block out time for features and projects.
The ability to add notes and details to tasks.
Fully fleshed out holiday and time off structure.
Robust financial reports possible with very high degree of accuracy for budget per project, per quarter, per annum.

We used to get by with using Excel, we invested in Float and it has taken the companies' project planning to the next step. I would recommend Float for small to mid sized companies definitely, it is a great product boost and good way of reporting and seeing issues early.

Cons

it does not allow you to easily move a bunch of small tasks along in the timeline, that's my only main gripe, you can't band box select you have to shift select. Everything else is intuitive and easy.

monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Float

Excel was clunky and out schedule was increasing in ambition and scope.

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Float

the website and videos showing features were clear and clean and one of my peers had previous experience and good reviews of the product and we were given a gratis time period to try things out, this helped us alot in making sure Float was the product for us.
Jonathan
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Reviewed on 5/8/2019

So Glad I Found this Software!

Overall, it has been a value add to the way we do things. We were using Google Sheets to schedule and calculate bandwidth before and the limitations were severe. I'm thrilled that we now have an easier and more attractive way to plan work!

Pros

I like the ease of use for bandwidth calculation. Before Float, it would be very difficult for us to understand Trainer occupancy, and it was also a challenge to schedule trainings far in advance over several regions. With Float, I can see what's coming up at a glance and provide accurate reports to stakeholders so that they know how busy we are and will be. At the end of the quarter, I can easily calculate and show how much time we spent, and on what.

Cons

For my specific use, access can be a challenge. I need something between "Project Manager" and "Member." For me, it would be ideal if there are a "Department Manager" role where people who had this level of access could modify the schedule for anyone in their department, but not see or edit the schedule of other departments.

Stephen

Reviewed on 6/2/2020

I have a team spread around the globe and this really highlights what work and projects are being carried out by the team and provides a good forecast of where resource shortfalls are.

Pros

The software is easy to use and has many features that support resource planning in flexible ways.

Cons

There could be some work on the global settings where we can convert from a local currency (i.e. Euros, Pounds, Aussie dollars) into a default currency to see how projects compare with each other when normalised.

Planview Portfolios, Trello and monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Float

More flexible, more features and somehow cheaper

Reasons for Switching to Float

They solved the issue I was struggling with which is a team view and resource capacity planning. The other products were either to complex or did not have the features I desired.
Rick
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 2/8/2019

Great tool for day to day business!

Pros

Float is very easy to use and makes you activities for the day very insight-full. As project manager it is possible to see all the activities for the team in a blink of an eye.

The sorting functions are great; by project, by team and more. Also adding repetitive tasks and scheduled items is very easy.

This tool improved our daily workflow greatly!

Cons

For now we really don't have any dislikes at all. All our requirements for good planning/team management software are met in Float.

• Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Reviewed on 17/8/2020

Great tool for roadmapping personal/team schedules

It has definitely been a step in the right direction for our business using float and has a better visual to some alternatives such as monday.com.

Pros

It is easy to see what myself and my colleagues have got scheduled to help make sure that resources are managed effectively.

Cons

There is not much integration with other applications that we use which means at the moment it is a stand alone product that we use in our business. If there was more integration then we would be able to utilise the functionality more effectively.

Response from Float

Hi,

Thanks for your review! You can check out Floats direct integrations, including a Slack notification app, on our website here, https://www.float.com/integrations.

We welcome hearing any other integration requests you have. Please email [email protected]

Christian
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 17/1/2019

Float Review

We used to use a HUGE white board and dry erase markers for our schedule. We thought that this was the best way for us to tackle our job scheduling and Float was met with a bit of resistance once the boss said we were going to try it.
WOW, were we wrong. I would never look back now that we are using Float. One of the best tools we ever used. We are scheduling anywhere from 18 to 26 techs on this program and I fully encourage anyone even thinking of possibly trying out a program for scheduling to do your self a favor and try out Float. I'd be shocked if your not impressed by it.

Pros

Kudos to you guys! I love the newer faster Float! You are making my job much easier & faster. Love the faster navigating/scrolling and the changing of a task’s time by scrolling on the schedule up or down beats the hell out of having to open the task and do it from there.
Love the new feature that you can hover over the work task and the notes appear without having to open the task.

Great job, keep it up!

Cons

Would like to be able to move a task to the afternoon (or lower in the cell) for a day where it is not a full days worth of hours and there is nothing else for that employee that day. Example, I have a technician on a 4 hour training course and it is in the afternoon. He has nothing else scheduled that day but I can't move the task lower in the cell so it looks like it is scheduled for the morning. It would be nice if you could hover over the "Time off" cells and see the notes associated with it , like you can for a work task, without having to open the "time off" cell.

• Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 1/8/2019

Great Visual Tool for Resource Management

We've been able to better project planning times for business needs coming in. When we know how long something takes via Float, we're able to give clearer milestones to our clients and we can manage our internal deadlines better. When you're able to take a quick peak at Float and see what someone is working on for the next few days, it's a more efficient way to manage resourcing expectations internally and across business units internally.

Pros

With Float, I love that you can make instant decisions on capacity management. I can assign someone a scheduled task and easily move the task back and forth between two team members if needed. It's a great visual tool to see how long people are spending in a certain area and to help plan ahead for the future. It gives a full visual picture of capacity and resource management, which can be hard to do. I love that you're able to assign color coding and different notes to each project, so you can monitor the health of the project properly and understand how many people are actually touching it.

Cons

Sometimes, there are some small glitches that happen, where you make an update and it either disappears or adds additional time to someone's schedule (making them fully at capacity). There aren't many cons to this application other than that because sometimes it can just take a lot of refreshing and some rework because sometimes the refreshes can cause a loss in information inputted.

Mel

Reviewed on 16/8/2020

Good for visibility

Pros

Easy to use and it's simple to scroll backwards to check your historical or upcoming bookings. As a user it does all I need it to do.

Cons

I've previously used Synergist which was great for production resources as all the bookings automatically pre-populated timesheets ready to add hours and submit. I'm not sure if Float has this functionality but our organisation uses separate systems for both, and I find it does add a little more effort to time logging.

Response from Float

Hi Mel,

Thanks so much for your review! We do have a time-tracking add-on feature in Float that pre-filles your team's timesheets based on their work schedule. You can check out how it works here, https://www.float.com/how-it-works/time-tracking.

All Float customers are welcome to a free 30 day trial of the feature. An Account Owner can activate this from the Team Settings inside Float.

If you'd like a demo or have any questions about how time tracking works, please feel free to email us at [email protected]

Thanks again for the review!

Anna Maria
  • Industry: Information Services

Reviewed on 24/6/2022

Very easy

Pros

Easy of use, minimal UI, Non technical people can use it.

Cons

You can't easily write on a task. You can't limit the hours of workers.

ClickUp

Trello

Response from Float

Thank you for your review, Anna Maria! Great to hear that you're finding Float easy to use.
To limit a person's hours, try adding custom hours: https://support.float.com/en/articles/28934-set-individual-custom-hours-and-work-days

michelle
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Reviewed on 14/6/2022

Float Review

great for scheduling. pretty happy with everything

Pros

I like the range of colors we are able to use. easy to adjust timing per day and see total time for each project

Cons

I wish there was a way for my team members to see everyone elses schedule. I can see the full team, but each individual can only see their own.

Response from Float

Thanks for your review, Michelle! Great that Float is helping you schedule your team's time.
A note about who can see and edit other Members' schedules -- your Float Admin can adjust access rights to allow for this. More info here: https://support.float.com/en/articles/5215287-access-rights
Hope this helps!

Replied 30/6/2022

Reviewed on 18/3/2019

Flexible, collaborative scheduling

It's been a learning experience for us as a team, and myself as an individual. We now push all work in as soon as we even believe it will happen and mark it as tentative. We can add milestones and deliverables so everyone collaborating on the schedule can see how much work there is and how likely it is they'll be able to add more in. A great tool that's got us away from the horror of scheduling in excel.

Pros

Can easily see the whole stream of work. We were using excel, not ideal, especially when it came to needing to change it and others had it open. We'd done this for years, not great. This tool means we can react faster to the needs of our busy studio. Adding milestones has been invaluable because we can easily see where pinch points will happen. Handling employee leave and work hours is now super seamless as float deals with it for you using the 'time off' feature.

Cons

It can be fiddly to arrange work in the correct order if you're doing less than half a day block at a time. Fortunately, this doesn't typically affect us, as we deal almost exclusively with long term, large projects.

Jonathan

Reviewed on 21/8/2020

Long time user and never found anything better

It's a great app that helps us every single day to simply and effectively manage resource without the process becoming a chore.

Pros

Float is the most straightforward product in our software stack. Every new start knows how to use it within a few minutes of creating an account, and we are able to allocate our resource quickly without the software getting in the way of the work which I wish we could say about all of the products that we use.

Cons

Not really a criticism of float but I will be looking to find an agency management solution that has a float integration if possible and if not another method of sync as we would hate to leave float behind.

Response from Float

Thanks for your review Jonathan! You can check out our direct integrations here, https://www.float.com/integrations, and please feel welcome to send any requests to [email protected]

Brian

Reviewed on 15/11/2019

Scheduling application for groups

I needed a place to make calendar entries and schedules visible to PMs and consultants without having to set and manage permissions in other popular email and calendaring applications. Float fits the bill giving my entire team access to their tasks and view others. It allows the PMs to see this information as well. It also provides mobile access through a dedicated appm

Pros

I like the ability to see and control the schedules of my consultants at a glance. It's simple to use and create new entries for others. I can see where my resources are scheduled and their availability to be scheduled for additional tasks and projects. I like that I can move tasks around easily.

Cons

I don't like that I have to create a new project and task for each entry. Mostly they are the same types of tasks, but one offs can be irksome at times. It's a small inconvenience since the application meets all of my other needs.

Steve

Reviewed on 5/2/2020

Float>>Super Scheduling Tool

Pros

The ease of use, and visibility to my team's schedule is great.

Cons

Had some issues logging in early on, but the Admin was able to take care of it.

Visio

Visio
Jared
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Reviewed on 27/6/2022

Float Keeps You Organized

Float took about a week to get the hang of and since then it is an integral part of our work day, keeping track of all the different projects we work on. It is a quick and easy program to use and let's you spend more time working and less time with housekeeping.

Pros

Float has a user-friendly, "card"-based, grid interface where you can schedule your tasks for the day and see what you are scheduled to work on days (or weeks) in advance. My job is project-focused where we have a large team who are all working on different projects and Float keeps everything running smooth by showing who is on which project and tracking all the utilization all the while. Also it's very easy to update your Float Card and log your time each day.

Cons

Sometimes Float can be dense especially when you first start using it, there's a lot of different options and bells and whistles, but once you get the hang of it, it is very easy to update your calendar and tasks.

Response from Float

Thank you for your review, Jared! Great to hear that Float is saving you time on 'housekeeping' so you can put your energy towards more meaningful work!